Been reading the current run of Mr Miracle. I want to delve deeper in the New Gods mythos. Where to start?

Been reading the current run of Mr Miracle. I want to delve deeper in the New Gods mythos. Where to start?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/fm/VPxVFBTZ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>start

The beginning

Gee, maybe the very book who's cover you posted?

What were the first and second worlds? I seem to remember Gog maybe coming from the second?

The Greeks

Get your hand on this omnibus.

The original Mister Miracle series by Kirby just came out in a single book a few months ago

Sadly the omnibus has printing errors (IE several pages repeat themselves).

As for OP's question:

New Gods V1 #1-11

New Gods V2 (reprint series) #6 (which is an all new story

Hunger Dogs Graphic Novel

Super Powers V2 #1-6

Legends

Cosmic Odyssey

New Gods V3

Orion

Fuuuuuck I'm supposed to be getting the omnibus for christmas. How severe are the errors?

I have the omnibus and currently .. how bad are those errors?

IIRC the misprints are in the Jimmy Olsen/Forever People sections of the book. So if you plan on skipping those bits, you might be somewhat OK

Well... the gigantic, fucking expansive-ass book you just posted a picture of. That just came out this month. Might be a good place to try.

page 864 is repeated on page 943. this is the missing page.

underrated post

Fucks sake how hard is it to have a decent omnibus

It's only one Jimmy Olsen page.

Okay...

The world of the Old Gods, where Gog was banished from.

Confusion may have arisen because Gog claimed to be from the THIRD world.

Anyway, this is the Second World, which is also known as Urgrund or Asgard.

...This page has been reproduced more times than I would care to guess.

Remember that Kirby had wanted to end his Thor series, over at Marvel, with a one-time, definitive Ragnarok... but then was told that the character was too popular to kill. So he did it over at DC and built an entirely new mythology from that.

I imagine the guys over at Marvel must have kicked themselves.

Imagine what the Marvel landscape would look like instead.

The end of the Second World.

... and the birth of the Third World, which is basically the 'normal' DC multiverse.

Incidentally, the world of the Old Gods was described as 'Larger than the largest star', and the Old Gods themselves were titanic in stature. Same goes for the New Gods: they are immense, or, if you will, mortals are tiny.

The Fourth World is outside of the regular Multiverse; I guess it 'sank' into its own universe under its own 'weight' as it died, similar to how Darkseid - who could be considered to contain the entire Fourth World in the end, as all the New Gods died before he did - dropped through reality and out the bottom in Final Crisis.

I think there is an essay there, although I suspect Grant Morrison already wrote it.

You should probably pick up Cosmic Odyssey, it's universally agreed to be better than anything else New Gods related and it's short enough for you to get through without losing interest. Ignore the Kirby stuff, it's old and dated and fucking gay as hell, brah.

>printing errors
First they ruin the JLI omnibus and now this.

>I imagine the guys over at Marvel must have kicked themselves.
Considering the fact that all of the four Fourth World books were cancelled because of low sales, no I don't think the guys over at Marvel kicked themselves over this too much.
At the time anyway.

Is there anywhere digital version of fourth world? I can't find it.

>Cosmic Odyssey, it's universally agreed to be better than anything else New Gods related

I respectfully disagree.

Too esoteric, I guess.

>You should probably pick up Cosmic Odyssey, it's universally agreed to be better than anything else New Gods related and it's short enough for you to get through without losing interest. Ignore the Kirby stuff, it's old and dated and fucking gay as hell, brah

10/10 bait.

>non-kirby shit

It's kind of funny how Starlin is seen as this great cosmic writer for Marvel, but at DC he seems to have a very negative reputation.

Mainly cause it is horrible.

Non-Kirby yes. Shit? Hardly.

See, now, I would call Starlin's New Gods stuff shit.

>Byrne Fourth World
>"Hardly"

And Byrne too. He's effectively the anti-Kirby.

Here you go.

mega.nz/fm/VPxVFBTZ

Well, guys, if you think so.

Byrne is an autistic hack.
I'll take DC Starlin over any Byrne.

Thoughts on the Simonson run?

user, I'm sorry, but I still see nothing, even after registration. Thanks anyway

get the new fourth world omni

that's a ad from decades ago user

>97696001
Cool bait, bro.

hmmm I got the omni the other day, flipped through the whole thing, didn't seem to bad that bad

Best Fourth World comic after Kirby.

I thought the normal DCU was the fifth world?

Morrison fanfiction isn't canon
neither is Byrne's