Guy Delisle's Pyongyang

Every year around this time, I storytime Pyongyang - A Journey in North Korea by Guy Delisle, with NK's increasing tension it only seems fitting to storytime it again this year.

A biographical comic about a French Canadian Animation director, his life living and working in North Korea for two months. His struggles with the difficulties of outsourcing and the bureaucracy of a totalitarian closed state.

Gather round because the storytime's about to start. Also if you liked this story, support the artist and buy their work.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0fNy_tWYkd4
youtube.com/watch?v=SPjKs8NuY4s
theguardian.com/global-development/2014/nov/07/north-koreans-working-state-sponsored-slaves-qatar
reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-gulf/qatar-kuwait-stop-renewing-visas-for-north-korean-workers-idUSKCN1BU1WE
youtube.com/watch?v=qo-Uwl-KpLg
youtube.com/watch?v=rNdqm7pnF2U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you're reading along, feel free to bump.

Interesting.

It provides an interesting look into a 2001 North Korea

Well, they could nuke Japan and South Korea any time now, so it is is still very relevant.

pyongyang is great, jerusalem was kind of dull, are there any other delisle biographical comics?

you have my intrest

Shenzen is also a good read. A very frightening thought, a lot has happened this year too. Outside of the constant missile "tests" there was also a NK guard that managed to escape and cross the border this year.

youtube.com/watch?v=0fNy_tWYkd4

There's also the recent discovery of North Korean slave workers being employed by Polish companies and working in Poland too, with all money they earn sent back to North Korea.

youtube.com/watch?v=SPjKs8NuY4s

Polan, I am dissapoint.

They've got North Koreans working in Qatar too, making that stadium for the soccer worldcup

theguardian.com/global-development/2014/nov/07/north-koreans-working-state-sponsored-slaves-qatar

Which was only halted this year.
reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-gulf/qatar-kuwait-stop-renewing-visas-for-north-korean-workers-idUSKCN1BU1WE

I always love this page

youtube.com/watch?v=qo-Uwl-KpLg

They have new trains now
youtube.com/watch?v=rNdqm7pnF2U

I knew about Qatar and Saudi Arabia, Poland is actually a bit surprising as you really think cheap labor is something they wouldn't need to import.

The pay for Polish workers is probably better in the rest of the EU than their own country, so they make up for the lack of workers with North Koreans.

Makes sense. They need as many hands as possible on the Lightbulb Project

The sad part about this is they only send the workers that have families at home, so that if they ever considered fleeing their family would be put in camps. What money they make is promised by NK to go to their family but the majority of the earnings just go to NK.

Duplicate reply my ass