Why were Tangled and Frozen's titles changed to be gender neutral but not Moana...

Why were Tangled and Frozen's titles changed to be gender neutral but not Moana? I half-expected them to call it Wayfinder or something.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KYxiuTEs1E8
youtube.com/watch?v=asI7_GpmURE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_animated_films#Highest-grossing_animated_films
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They couldn't come up with a good adjective, since that's the whole gimmick.

They could've called it "Wet" but it doesn't sound too good.

In Ondavitaland, it was called Vaiana.

Hooked.

Well fuck, that is pretty good.

I dunno
Tangled is about Rapunzel and her hair
Frozen is about zelda and her ice powers
Hooked is about Moana and her friend Maui’s hook?
Doesn’t really follow the pattern and isn’t that accurate

But it’s not a Peter Pan story?

youtube.com/watch?v=KYxiuTEs1E8

Moana hooks Maui into joining her like fish on a hook. I mean, if Pixar can have a movie called "Brave" and "Up", this movie may as well be called "Ocean".

BROWNED

I feel like you're really struggling with how these titles are meant to relate to the protagonist.

>zootropolis
am I missing something or this going to become an /x/ thread all of a sudden?

Because it had the Rock as a big strong hero guy to market to boys, if Elsa was one half of a duo and the other one was a big burly ice warrior voiced by John Cena, they probably would worry less about it

UK already had a Zoo called Zootopia, so it had to be changed to Zootroplosis for legal reasons.

Someone realized that selling shit to little girls is more profitable than slapping a gender-neutral title on a movie and trying to trick boys into seeing it.

That's stupid. The truth of the matter is that they just couldn't find an adjective that worked well enough to follow that formula, so they just went back to the older naming standby.

You name kids movies after the title character (e.g. Aladdin, Mulan, etc.), the principle action or conceit that defines the film (e.g. Finding Nemo, Up, Inside Out, etc.), or you give it a vague adjective that relates to the principle themes (e.g. Frozen, Tangled, Brave, etc.). You find one that sounds fine and you roll with it. No need to bring gender politics into anything.

Also, shut up.

Probably shoulda called it the Spongebob Squarepants Movie

youtube.com/watch?v=asI7_GpmURE

>"Now That We're Men" intensifies

deleting and reposting is a bitch move, but the first youtube link I gave was some dumb shits that cut to some bitch dancing in the middle of it so I prefer to look like a tool to those who saw than leave that up

Also, if we are going to bring gender politics into it then your contention isn't even vaguely commensurate with the data:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_animated_films#Highest-grossing_animated_films

Nobody cares or has any idea what you're talking about.

They could have just called it Maui just as easily. I think it doesn't matter though because to most American toddlers, they have never met a person named Maui or Moana in their lives anyway, it sounds much less frilly and girly than "Elsa" would sound

That's like saying they could have 'just as easily' called Aladdin 'Abu' or The Lion King 'Nala.' This isn't fucking rocket science. How are y'all confused here?

You name show about dude who show about. Hamilton, big money great success; House, many dollars for Hugh Grant and other people; Friends, about fucking friends!

The internet has poisoned your minds.

>House
>Hugh Grant

All Hughs look the same to me.

I mean, Maui was a big part of the movie. Zelda is called Zelda, not Link, and it works fine because the central plot is about her even though she's not the POV character, same instance here, the movie is about Maui the god even though Moana is the lead

>They could've called it after the deuteragonist that doesn't show up in the film until a solid 25 minute mark and is not the chosen one that saves the day
No, they really couldn't.

Racist!

>Zelda is called Zelda, not Link,

No, it's called the Legend of Zelda.

>the principle action or conceit that defines the film

The Legend of Zelda is about the Hero who goes and saves Zelda. The character literally isn't supposed to have a name. He's meant to be your LINK to the story. You are the hero of time, user. You are playing through the story. That's the idea.

To follow your argument through, you're suggesting that the film should be called The Legend of Maui. And that's a fine argument, but it's a shit title.

I told you to shut the fuck up, bruh!

You know I love you, right?

Yes sir...

>Made only slightly more than Tangled and far less than Frozen

All of this is pointless when you know from interviews that during production the films were called Rapunzel and The Snow Queen respectively and were changed to be gender neutral in the first place, a decision Disney started doing after the "failure" of Princess and the Frog.

Tangled and Frozen's names were not done out of creative decision about the theme of the movie at all.

Moana specifically kept the name because it was a "dark skin" protagonist, and the name draws attention to that. We'd see the same from Princess and the Frog if that wasn't based on a fairytale too big to not capitalize on.

Sail, Swim, Lead, Discover,

but hooked sounds best

Over here it was renamed to "Vaiana. Ocean's Treasure"

A lot of John Musker's & Rom Clement's works are named after the protagonist. Aladdin, Hercules... If Moana were based on a fairytale, it would have been named after the fairytale.

Vagina is a good name.

The working Title was best: "Ocean call".

I think I need help because personally I didn’t like Frozen or Moana at all. The only positive thing I can say about either of them is that the water animation in Moana was orgasmic, but everything else was just “meh”. Somebody convince me that I’m wrong

>were changed to be gender neutral in the first place
>more profitable than slapping a gender-neutral title on a movie

Literally the absolute opposite of what Boco was arguing and not in any way borne out by the data or common sense. Snow Queen and Rapunzel are terrible titles, and the fact that they were used during development means literally nothing.

You've literally accepted Disney gender politics marketing as fact. You saw an interview they put out about naming a creative work and believed that it was some sort of statement and not just some off the cuff decision that sounded good. You should be embarrassed.

You're not wrong.

Only thing Frozen has going for it is Elsa. Moana was pretty boring & lifeless.

Moana felt like it was a movie made with checklist in hand.

It'd be weird if you had a virulent hatred of it, aside from it stemming from a dumb fanbase. It's not so weird that they just don't illicit a particularly positive reaction out of you. They're not incredibly special movies objectively, merely mostly competently made. There's going to be some people for whom an okay movie just isn't going to do it for them because they got the Wicked chick to sing a song about being okay with your problems or songs about sailing. Though I personally quite like a number of Moana's songs more than most recent Disney musicals. Mostly just because I like sailing, exploring, and Polynesia.

That was "Hook."

>Somebody convince me that I’m wrong
It's hard to defend Frozen but with Moana
>no love interest lends to having more screentime developing the relationships between Moana and her relatives, the ocean, Maui
>HeiHei was taken in the boat and not the pig
>Tamatoa might signal a trend for Disney to have actual straight up villains again and with their own songs
>faithfully created a fairy tale world for Polynesia by researching and making Motonui seem fleshed out and realistic
>conservative message about how .preserving one's culture is important and looking back to history aids to shape one's understanding of the individual whereas erasing it causes problems
>Moana is the second barefoot princess

Moana was meh until the end. Then it turned terrible.

Seriously all they had to do to beat the baddy was give it a green rock

>and the fact that they were used during development means literally nothing.
How the fuck are they worse than Beauty and the Beast or The Little Mermaid? Or Sleeping Beauty? Or Cinderella? Or Princess and the Frog, or Snow White?

You're talking out of your ass.

I have no idea why they thought that name change was a good idea, or why they went for a name that was one letter away of spelling "vagina".

Maybe they've given up trying to appeal to boys.

I don't think a movie starring the Rock is an indication of that.

Maui means 'unknown".

Moana means Ocean. Its not a traditional Pac island name. Its literally the word for ocean.

The movie ISN'T named after the girl Moana, its named after the Ocean.

How did Moana end up doing financially? I remember it wasn't making near the money Frozen did when it came out, but did that ever even out?

It ended up making 643 million on a budge of 150. Not Frozen levels, but nothing to scoff at, either.

*budget