What is about this scene that makes it so good?

What is about this scene that makes it so good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nGJyCLRR9rc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The tragic hero makes his fatal mistake, breaking both the heart of his father and the viewer who both were rooting for the hero to stay on the path of light.

Good build up of tension before it where we see both Max and Goofy going through a moral struggle and when it's finally released, it's quickly replaced with new tension of Goofy's anger. Since Goofy's character is that of mostly comedic relief and the emotional center, seeing his anger played and acted straight has genuine weight to it in the story.

I hated Goofy in that movie. He should have seen that his childs needs were more important than his own childish need to go camping, seeing that he is the adult in the situation and that being the adult in a situation means letting kids be kids sometimes.

Silly ol' Goofy getting fucking PISSED

>Goofy just wanted to spend some time with his son
>Max is a little bitch who lied to everyone, not just Goofy but some random chick he wanted to bone and his friends to be popular
>When Max finally had the courage to tell Goofy he was totally cool with it and actually helped him get into the concert
Fuck you user, Goofy did literally nothing wrong.

An added bonus is that most of the character's emotions and inner struggles are communicated without dialogue explicitly telling us what's going on, their facial expressions, tone, and body language tell us everything, which is far more natural since, as the adage goes, 90% of communication is nonverbal.

See that's the trick, the key to why "A Goofy Movie" is a such a good movie. It is legitimate to side with either character. It is fair for Goofy, single father, to want to spend some time with his growing son before its time to let him go for good. It is also fair for Max to seek freedom and to follow his own life, and to resent his father for forcing him on the camping trip.

But also, Max is a little lying shit so fuck him.

>But also, Max is a little lying shit so fuck him.
This was the one thing I felt that sort of stopped it from being a genuine "Both sides have their points" narrative. It started out like that but the second Max lied about bring friends with some super megastar pop star and was going to be part of his concert, he immediately lost the debate.

Even if he managed to fool his pops to go to California what exactly was the rest of his plan? Was he going to explain his situation to the super star as if he gave a damn or streak across the concert or what? Even when he did finally do that it was all large part in help with his own father. They should've kept it sample and have it that the Roxanne was also going on vacation to Cali and he wanted to visit her.

An Extremely Goofy Movie is better

>why is serious goofy seriously funny?

Dunno.

Autist detected. Even as a kid I knew that Max was a cunt. Goofy worked his ass off to be a good single father, and Max just lied and cheated his way through life.

Honestly? It could be the fact that the tragic hero protagonist is getting caught for his bullshittery. But really what made it great for me, was that the first time we honestly saw Goofy upset about something. We see him all the time get determine on shit and try to laugh it all off.

But let's face it, the one thing that I've never seen if anything is Goofy so upset that he stops his car and just can't be in the same vehicle as his own kid. And he can't even look at him, it spoke volumes to me when I got older when my own dad didn't want me in the same room as him. Not because he was upset, because his heart was busted because his shit son fucked up.

That's what makes a good scene when the character actually acts something normal. Of course some asshole will say that goofy is acting childish but all he wants to do is make sure that Max doesn't end up to be a kid on the streets and just not fuck up. If Max just chilled his Angsty teenager ways and just communicate with his father (like ALL TEENS SHOULD DO BY THE WAY SADLY THEY DONT AND IT CAUSES PROBLEMS ALL THE DAMN TIME) and a lot of things wouldn't had happened happened. Of course that argument fails as well because Goofy forced Max to go on the vacation with him but come on, it's a overbearing dad. Whose gonna stop him besides CPS.

>There are people that actually believe Goofy was wrong in this scene

That's a first.

Right? I can't reason with that user's thinking. Goofy just wanted to not have his kid become a gang banger on the street and Max just shit on the opportunity that most kids don't have at his age.

>He should have seen that his childs needs were more important than his own childish need to go camping
it must be really fun not having a father for you to not understand this scene

Are you retarded?

He was building fond memories for his boy to enjoy later on in life.

>it's legitimate to side with either character
Tell that to the people who complain when they realize others can see that Pete was in the right and both Max and Goof fucked up. We've had entire threads about Goof shills protecting that dumbass with their dying breath.

It surprise that there still people that don't understand theres no real villian in the Goofy movie. Even when Pete and Goofy are discussing parenting, neither of them are wright, they're just different styles of parenting

youtube.com/watch?v=nGJyCLRR9rc

Pete was right. Goofy meant well, but he was wrong. Max was the villain.

Even as a kid I've always felt that hot tube scene was weirdly sexual and homoerotic.

It's two nearly naked people being in physically close proximity to each other, sharing an emotionally intimate conversation. I'd be more surprised if you didn't see anything semi-sexual about it.

Pretty sure the animators were aware of it too, it's just that it was supposed to be weird and funny instead of genuinely sexy.

Maybe Boon should have told his dad that he wanted to go to the concert to impress a girl in the first place.

> My son respects me.

That line started to put a lump in my throat as I got older. Didn't understand what made it so important as a kid and that Pete kind of had a point.

I used to wonder why Pete seemed to have this weird vendetta against Max, but it didn't click until I got older that Max was a really bad influence on PJ. The whole school stunt was Max pushing or bribing his best friends into doing something that would only benefit him. It was just fun and games from their point of view and no one got hurt, but I can see why Pete would hang on to this weird anger against a kid who seemed to be nothing but trouble for his own son.

There's that but when I was a kid I got struck by the implication Goofy threw about his son loving him and Pete's jump for respect over love. PJ is legitimately terrified of his father and he acts more like a trained dog around him than an obliging son. I think after reading your assessment that Pete unwittingly groomed PJ into being easily liable to being badgered and convinced by someone else to do something for them with no mutual benefit due to how he was raised. There's no spine or authoritarian 'fuck you get mine' attitude in PJ that exists in Pete in spades. He isn't like Max but Max is a leader and a doer, whereas PJ has been molded into the perfect follower with little personal direction for himself.

>This image brought to you by X-GAMES.jpg

Who was in the wrong here

PJ wasn't molded into a follower. He's a young teenager. He literally is a follower. Kids at that age either follow social trends to a T or follow controversial opinions to a T because they want to pretend like they're smarter than everyone else, instead of realizing nuances between issues. Even Max went out of his way to lie about knowing Powerline and going to some bullshit concert all the way out in California because he was a follower obsessed with saying whatever would make him sound cool instead of taking a step back and approaching the Roxanne situation logically. He's not a leader or a doer, but a liar and a follower. The kids are all fucking followers.

Goofy.

t. Pete

But you make some decent points, even if I don't agree 100%.

At that point, both of them.

Yes

What a great damn movie. Why can't Mickey or Donald have a definitive version of themselves like Goofy does? The closest they got is that Christmas special where Goofy and Max also appear.

There is a great irony to Goofy being the most human of the Mickey Mouse characters, considering his initial characterization was just a fool. And yet, in Goof Troops and the Goofy Movie we have Goofy trying to be a good dad. The Goofy Movie works because it totally relatable from a parent's or teenager's point of view.

What's great about The Goofy Movie it doesn't just paint Goofy as an overprotective parent afraid of his child growing up. Goofy wants to be a part of Max's adult life too; not just as a father but as a friend.

>Even if he managed to fool his pops to go to California what exactly was the rest of his plan? Was he going to explain his situation to the super star as if he gave a damn or streak across the concert or what
Yeah, the plan was to sneak on stage that's what the climax was about

Perhaps it is man who was the fool all along.

Yep, I remember re-watching this again and again as a kid, Max was in the wrong. This was also the time where my "love is the best thing ever" thing started, so him lying Roxanne left a negative mark on me. Made it up in the end, but still.

Donald at least had the comics (and possibly the DuckTales reboot that's still going), but poor Mic only has the cartoon shorts going for him these days.

I can't think of a single real personality traits that Mickey has. He's got no character.

Neither, just different styles of parenting

It's because Disney was so dam protective of him that, unlike the other two, he was never allowed to really change. Hell, him and Minnie are still "dating" because Disney doesn't want anything official. The developers of Epic Mickey tried something but Disney put their foot down on the thing. The most you'll get for modern Mic is the House of Mouse and the current shorts, until Disney stops chaining him down.

The old comics give him a lot of character, but it was all stripped away so that he could become more of a mascot. He's about as interesting as Ronald McDonald most of the time (which is part of the reason why people have this weird nostalgia for the Grimace or Hamburglar since they actually had some personality).

>They should've kept it sample and have it that the Roxanne was also going on vacation to Cali and he wanted to visit her.

That would do away with a lot of the conflict between Max and Goofy because then Max would actually have a reason to want to go on the trip and not to want to stay behind. It’s true he’d still want to ditch camping and find a way to go to wherever Roxanne was, but there’d be less of the ‘I don’t even want to BE here’ frustration.

Some of Max’s angst comes from him missing out on being with Roxanne. If Roxanne was going to be out of town anyway and Max saw his dad’s camping trip as a way to get to see her, he’d be really excited to go on the trip instead of staying at his Roxanne-less home.

We should auto ban under 18 posters like this one. They're so easy to detect these days.

because goofy is usually a flat character that's for comedic effect.

seeing him upset immediately adds depth to everything about goofy. it's also a parent-child scene that shows kids that parents can be completely justified in their disappointment of their kids' actions. the young audience is forced to see the reaction of a parent and have empathy for a parent.

But that would also make a new plot, say the camping trip takes place in/near the same city that Roxanne was heading too. Road trip hi-jinks aside, now Max has to choose who he spends his time with, probably flipflopping between his dad and future girlfriend with the both of them wondering why Max keeps disappearing.

Mellow dopey Goofy that usually just laughs everything off becoming THAT fucking pissed

>neither of them were right

Pete was wrong though. Pete's parenting skills are primarily through fear and intimidation. that's not the same as respect. you can BRIBE loyalty from people through threats of punishment, but Goofy was banking on having his kid have the INTELLIGENCE to UNDERSTAND why particular behaviors were bad. Pete teaches that loyalty is extracted forcefully from people, Goofy actually TEACHES his kid. that's why OP's point holds weight.

>bad influence on PJ

yeah i guess as long as pete's fat kid was obedient then his diet and materialistic lifestyle foisted on him by his shallow father was okay then?

>Pete verbally abuses PJ in to obedience

this. this user gets it.

>ust chilled his Angsty teenager ways and just communicate with his father (like ALL TEENS SHOULD DO BY THE WAY SADLY THEY DONT AND IT CAUSES PROBLEMS ALL THE DAMN TIME)

It’s true that this behavior is frustrating and problem causing, but in a weird way it’s also kind of natural and necessary. Teens are at a life step where they need to start figuring shit out on their own, and when they seek help they need to learn to start looking to their peers instead of always to their caregivers and authority figures. Unfortunately this means fucking up more often than not because they and their peers are inexperienced and hormonal and have horrible judgement, but if the alternative is to stay in the life stage where they look to their parents to tell them how to behave and to fix things for them, they’re never going to learn independence.

Also, it’s the lifestage where most teens are starting to grasp that their parents are human too and that they also make mistakes and have flaws, and the teen/adolescent needs to pick and choose when and when not to listen to them, especially if they don’t have the luxary of having Goofy for a parent. Unfortunately, again, the teen in question usually makes the wrong decision, but they’re supposed to learn from these mistakes.

>Pete

one father is a materialistic, obese shitbag who made his son in to a spineless follower while goofy is banking on the long game by trying to teach his son, who is a teenager in transition to adulthood, what moral behavior really MEANS

Sorry, but an extended ‘two dates to the prom episode’ doesn’t sound better to me than the movie we got.

Never said it was better, just something different. I'm sure others can come up with something better.

You're saying this as if pointing out problems with one lifestyle means I support another lifestyle. Max also isn't a bad kid and I don't think he's a bad friend either. I was just trying to see things from another person's point of view.

You're confusing fear for discipline.

no pauly shore

I'm not sure if that would work honestly.

no, pete is confusing fear for discipline. i specifically described the difference between imposed, fake discipline and learned self-discipline that lasts a lifetime

this moment right here in OP is one of the most important scenes in western animation.

it's basically the reason teenagers should be allowed to vote since the justice system already tries minors as adults. it shows that parents have to let teens mature and make real decisions with real consequences and shows teens the disappointment of a parent so the teen can actually empathize with the parent. understanding self discipline is how you get a lifetime of self discipline. going through the motions of doing what you're told because you might face punishment is only a modicum of discipline. it's not Discipline with a capital D.