"Comic books will never be art" - Chris Evans

>"Having once made the statement above, I have declined all opportunities to enlarge upon it or defend it. That seemed to be a fool's errand, especially given the volume of messages I receive urging me to read this comic or that and recant the error of my ways. Nevertheless, I remain convinced that in principle, comic books cannot be art. Perhaps it is foolish of me to say "never," because never, as I've once said, is a long, long time. Let me just say that no comic fan now living will survive long enough to experience the medium as an art form."

Did he have a legitimate point?

Other urls found in this thread:

rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/video-games-can-never-be-art
huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/02/roger-ebert-apologizes-i_n_632834.html
ew.com/article/2008/07/17/watchmen-chat-director-zack-snyder/3/
rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/okay-kids-play-on-my-lawn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No, he doesn't.

[citation needed]

Well, the whole world considers comics art... and the one country that doesnt, thinks that NASCAR and Wrestling are an art form.

NASCAR is art in a true romantic sense and wrestling is a performance so it's as art at ballet.

t. Not even American.

Can sports be called an art?

It's an edit of Roger Ebert's statement about video games

rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/video-games-can-never-be-art
6/10 bait I'm sure someone will believe you

poor OP, his Christmas was so shitty that the next day he brings weak ass bait and even use different IPs to keep bumping it.
Here's a (You), keep it close because I doubt you'll get many more.

Ebert also admitted he was wrong later anyway.

>he have a legitimate point?

Chris Evans said no such thing.

That said, is it defensible? Not really.

Art is a work of creation and even what some, many or most might consider bad art (e.g. The Room, bad urinal drenched graffiti in the men's room of a large transit station, etc.), is a work of creation and can, at minimum, be considered a work of art.

Whether it's good, praise worthy, commercially viable, etc., those are all measurements that neither add nor detract from whether or not it's a work of creation.

celebrities are zoo animals

source?

I always found it pointless because Ebert didn't grow up with games let alone an expert yet there was this weird flash hate over. Also what would it even gain if it counted as art? Whoopie fucking do, now you can say your a huge as loser that likes an "art", dosn't change what you are.

>"I was a fool for mentioning video games in the first place," writes the famed movie critic. "I would never express an opinion on a movie I hadn't seen."
huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/02/roger-ebert-apologizes-i_n_632834.html

Reminder that Kick-Ass will forever trigger Ebert's spirit

There is no point, there's no reasons, nothing to back it up, just a flat statement.

This is a Roger Ebert quote about video games.

Even if he thinks superhero comics can never be art (which I still disagree with, their are superhero comics with legit artistic merit), that's one genre of a huge fucking medium. It's like saying movies can't be art because you just don't know enough about movies to know that movies other than Hollywood action blockbusters and romantic comedies even exist.

Like, I'd like to hear him make an argument as to why any story that is told through a sequence of images with text can't be art, but a sequence of images shown one at a time through a projector, with an accompanying audio track, can be art. Or text without pictures can be art. Or pictures without text. It just doesn't make sense that as soon as you put the pictures and text together, it can't be art.

He was just an old ass man, there are lots of old men who don't like new things. People came down on him way too hard I thought for expressing an unqualified and poorly informed opinion, something nobody on the internet had ever dared to do before.

>Did he have a legitimate point?
He spent a paragraph avoiding making his point.

Okay, I didn't even read the thread. That said, my point still stands against anybody who would make this claim, because I have encountered people who unironically believe this.

Still failed my trips by falling for an obvious ruse, tho.

Comfort yourself with the knowledge that most people who say this probably think movies can be art.

>People came down on him way too hard
because it hit a nerve with a lot of people both legit and losers that get told games are for kids and/or time wasters and they took Ebert as an easy target to blow up on.

Well unfortunately these days damned near anything can be called art no matter how ridiculous, video games in general take a shitton of hard work and such and sometimes have stories far far beyond the depths of movies or even books, ie the Witcher series. Whereas some attention whores literally shit out paint eggs on a blank canvas and call that art.
There should be a line where some things aren't art that claim to be, but video games and comics which are basically just illustrated literature of a sort are not that degree of lack of effort.
I guess OP is just a faggot if he's trying to spin someone else's quote as a shit edit of an actor.
If you want an actual movie maker that doesn't respect comic books.
>My mother saw I was into this comic called Heavy Metal magazine, so she got me a subscription. You could call it ”high-brow” comics, but to me, that comic book was just pretty sexy! I had a buddy who tried getting me into ”normal” comic books, but I was all like, ”No one is having sex or killing each other. This isn’t really doing it for me.” I was a little broken, that way. So when Watchmen came along, I was, ”This is more my scene.”
>Everyone says that about [Christopher Nolan’s] Batman Begins. ”Batman’s dark.” I’m like, okay, ”No, Batman’s cool.” He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn’t, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that’s how that would go.
ew.com/article/2008/07/17/watchmen-chat-director-zack-snyder/3/

That's where you're wrong, kiddo.

Ebert was insanely biased about things in weird ways.

WTF
Why do I want Chris Evans to rape a me and degrade me

How many of you stupid assholes bought this?
It was a fairly famous statement by Roger Ebert about Videogames.

When he saw Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver he related to Raziel so much it changed his view of videogames.

>Comic books will never be art" - Chris Evans
Correct and he eventually recanted

rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/okay-kids-play-on-my-lawn

So he fit right in on Sup Forums.

I think the most embarrassing part is that the main game people used to counter his argument was The Last of Us.

How terrible. Majora's Mask would have been a better example.

Yes, but just not American sports, which consists of 80% advertisements and 20% sports.