Anyone else wish there was more cartoons and comics with fantasy/mythical themes? Sure there are some...

Anyone else wish there was more cartoons and comics with fantasy/mythical themes? Sure there are some, but scifi themes just seem way more prevalent through the years

Other urls found in this thread:

derp.ibooru.org/570309
assasinmonkey.deviantart.com/art/Blazing-Apple-439212676
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There's a reason for that. The Scifi genre is constantly changing, an adaptive area of fiction that is both defined by current age, and is often inspired by "what if" or next generation science. After all, a lot of science fiction of the past slowly became a reality of today depending on what you look at. Magic/Fantasy is more of a cultural genre, fiction that can be interpreted several different ways depending on folklore and creator preference. The reason why the former is more common than the latter is that scifi is often more approachable given how relevant its concepts can be.

That's hard to do since doing anything fantasy will have you pegged as a ripoff of Tolkien/DnD/Warhammer. Sure, you can take creatures from other cultures, but it wouldn't be as recognisable and may give rise to other unwanted problems.

Is there anyone with a more encylopedic knowledge of MLP than you?

neat

wait a minute... something was shooped out of the lower left corner

People don't seem to like Warrior heroes of antiquity. Long gone are the days of Achilles, Beowulf, Gilgamesh, etc...Now we are stuck with Superman, Iron Man, Steven...

Mods are really going to town

These things come and go in cycles. Personally Id be all over more fantasy adventure series but we barely get any decent action cartoons as it is.

No, I feel over-saturated with fantasy. I like Sci-fi but I feel like everything is fantasy or modern, or modern with a "twist", but still not sci-fi.

You like that cartoon don't you Sup Forums

Heroes have to be a lot more politically correct now, they're seen as the author's 'ideal hero' not just a fictional character. You can't find simple cool fun like Conan nowadays.

You're the one with obsessive knowledge about the show. Are you sure you're not a fan?

>Gilgamesh
No one has really tried to retell the Gilgamesh story which is really about a man who has to come to terms with his own mortality. The ending is basically a god telling him he's going to die and there is nothing he or anyone can do about it, the ultimate truth in our existence.

the only things i wish for a happiness, health, and a cure for the terminal waking-sickness.

Heh. You're right.

you shouldn't know that, champ. you've become that which you hate. you are the demons.

To be fair it's obvious something was shooped.

Workaround: urban fantasy, or post apocalyptic/science fantasy

Books already overused medieval fantasy to death, not saying is a bad thing you see, it's just that there isn't many stories left to be told.

Adventure time did this, post apocalyptic dystopia as it was. Avatar the last airbender was fantasy and so was Wakfu.

Not politically correct, its just that the heroes of antiquity are meant to be boring and one dimensional. That's just how the Greeks liked it. They liked certain archetypes and wrote they how they liked them. Its their fault they're taste in writing characters was shit. Those archetypes are still accessible to people today when you write them using modern story telling tools. Star Wars is the prime example that the heroes journey and its still making money.

The ironic part is that Nasu actually managed to encapsulate that about Gilgamesh

You accidentally messed up your post and omitted the copy-and-pasted text. That means you have to stop for today. Play fair, no cheating.

>its just that the heroes of antiquity are meant to be boring and one dimensional.
>Hercules
>one dimensional
>Achilles
>one dimensional
>freaking Odysseus
>one dimensional

Just admit you've never actually read the Greek myths and you're just parroting back pop culture 'wisdom'.

Nothing about Conan was cool or fun

But barneyfag you were already here

This But with an added niche and nerdy vibe the genre comes with. Adventure Time does a good job embracing and subverting that. Still, I'm a fan of the genre and am looking forward to Ivandoe.

You sound like a massive pussy.

I would like something that reaches more in to the methaphysical whithout being too archetypical . The subconcious is such a flexible and dark place i would like to see those shapes take form in fantacy. But i gess as >97723510 said , no scape from the reflexion of the society and the superficial lines of the ego.

Frankly, i doubt that. New ideas do not come often, and majority of sci-fi is rehashing of exiting topics with some hip technobabble thrown in.

I would watch the shit out of a serious fantasy cartoon. Not adventure time with bullshit romance and shitty quirky "humor".
Too bad americans think cartoons are for children and children don't like serious things for some reason.

How would you know this unless you too are that much into the show?

He has sever autism. It makes sense to him, to spend all his time watching the show and keeping up to date on its fanart and memes so that he can point them out, while still believing he hates the show. Only in his special autistic mind does this make sense.

That and sci-fi is more about the everyday modern man rather than some overpowered gods. You can say it's a bit more down to Earth.

I wouldn't say that's always the case though. Fantasy isn't mutually exclusive to Greek myth and stuff like that, and in a lot of ways modern capeshit is similar to that, which a lot of it falls into the scifi realm more than anything

I'm excited for Ivandoe because I like fantasy. Just don't know when it's coming out.

start reading eurocomics.

>it's a stealthy pony reference episode

Die you degenerate Barneyfag
That's a chimera from the Somepony To Watch Over Me episode
derp.ibooru.org/570309
assasinmonkey.deviantart.com/art/Blazing-Apple-439212676

It would be cool to get a real Swords & Sorcery cartoon. We have shows with elements of it, like Adventure Time or small horses, but nothing that tries it in earnest. The Dungeons and Dragons Adventure Time episodes were always my fave part of that show.

I bet all it would take is someone in the industry pitching it. Worth a shot. Not every cartoon needs to be about dumb kids doing dumb kid things.

Fucking kill yourself and die

I really hope you fucking die

get fucking hanged

Please just fucking die

I'm just waiting for you to fucking die

Nu males that lack the strength to suplex another. I bet seeing a weapon in person triggers the fuck out of you two.

Kill yourself and die you fucking fuck