Sup Forums's thoughts on Steven Universe

Show can get interesting but so much filler.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steven_Universe_episodes#Season_1_(2013–15)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It can be very enjoyable when it actually sticks to the plot
the filler can be hit or miss, mostly miss, alto for the most part not as awful as certain muddies make it out to be

Peaked at sworn to the sword. Everything since has been a disappointment. It sucks because I really enjoyed the first season.

First season had the best filler
I take monster of the week over soap opera shenanigans of background characters any day

>the best Steven Universe episode is actually an Uncle Granpa episode.

Meh, I gave it a shot and sat through a few episodes but nothing about it grabbed me. I didn't find myself all that interested in what I could gather about the plot and none of the characters appealed to me very much.

I know Sup Forums has some on going joke about this show being the worst when it's really one of the best shows out there. I know it's not perfect in terms of writing or animation, but I'm willing to overlook it.

I'm fairly indifferent to it myself, but do you really find it's basically tumblr the show, so of course Sup Forums is going to hate it, just like Rick and Morty being Reddit the show means people here are going to hate it.

Personally, I don't give a shit about the ongoing plot with the diamonds and homeworld. SU was at its best when it dealt with small scale conflicts and interpersonal dynamics, like in The Test, On the Run or Rose's Scabbard. I think SU should've stuck to its strengths instead of trying to become an epic space saga.

But if they were going to make SU more plot-focused, they should've gone all out with it, instead of having an awkward combination of intense space drama and boring townie shit. They also should've stopped having everything be from Steven's perspective from season 2 onwards. It's like they're trying to have their cake and eat it too.

The colorful horse show made it work and I think popularized the idea of having sol type episodes in between plot heavy "epic" episodes.

what filler? steven doesn't have to deal with gem politics all the time.

and yes, it is one of the best cartoons right now but I just wish it didn't suck anime's cock so much

I personally enjoy it although I don't see it as perfect and hope for improvements, in terms of animation. I don't mind the townie episodes and honestly believe people would be less annoyed with them if they were placed differently.

If they stopped focusing on the shit townies, stopped focusing exclusively on steven and had episodes focusing on other characters, and made steven less of an annoying little pussy and had him attracted to the gems instead of that bitch connie then the show would be alot better. As someone whos only watching at this point because i like some of the characters, they really need better writers and i think it might even be better if CN took it away from sugar.

Haven't watched that in a long time, but I can see how it could work. The real problem is the crewniverse's inability to execute it well I guess. Feels like they ran out steam after s1.

>took it away from sugar.
Sugar is good, she just needs better help.

She needs to reign in the shitheads on her crew. I think the series wouldve been better on [as] anyways. As bad as it is now, its much better then “your not evil, your smart”

I wasn't a big fan of Rick and Morty s3 either, but I still got way more enjoyment out of that than anything that SU has put out lately. This latest bomb in particular was so fucking shitty.

>This latest bomb in particular was so fucking shitty.
Agreed, fuck this townie bullshit.

I was most annoyed at how emotionally retarded Steven and Connie were. Somehow they've both regressed since season one. All those episodes of supposed character development and growing emotional maturity aren't worth shit apparently.

It's not that there's too much filler, IT'S THAT IT NEVER FUCKING AIRS! If the show had a regular, stable schedule of say, two 11 minutes episode a week, it'd be more palatable, but as it stands now we have to wait months on hand for four-five episodes (about one hour of content), half of which are fillers, which is unacceptable.

I'm at ep 10 of the first season and it's pretty fun, not too much there, but fun, don't really get what all the drama around it is about yet

the latest bomb killed what little interest I still had left in this show.

Enjoy it while you can, s1 is a pretty good time. It's a steady decline from there.

>If they stopped focusing on the shit townies
You say that as if muh DEEPEST LORE is somehow more interesting

No, id actually prefer slice of life with the gems.

Enjoy it while you can, you have a luxury none of us had back then, not waiting for the next episode for months, mind you it got really bad just before Rose's Scabbard.

but from what I see here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steven_Universe_episodes#Season_1_(2013–15) they had fairly usual breaks for TV series and otherwise it was a weekly thing
well anyway
I guess it's a common symptom with series that have very short episodes, it's hard to chug out so many separate ideas for years on end

yaaay a Giant Womyn!!
I'm having fun :3

I honestly wouldn't have much of a problem with its filler if it wasn't for the shitty hiatuses they shove down the watcher's throats. Gotta love when you wait months just to get a few townie episodes before going back into limbo again.

>him attracted to the gems
Fuck off with your shipping.

>tfw if they hadn't put the eps on the app in November, we would've had weekly episode premieres from December to January.

Isn't this show canceled and they dumped the episodes on the app? I don't think Cartoon Network even shows reruns.

dead show is dead.

They've been technically doing weekly TV premieres each Friday for some time now.

The Diamonds did nothing wrong.

Hatefags and tumblrcrits focus too much on bashing the animation, which is better than most other cartoons, and off model characters, which is really only distracting during scenes boarded by Lamar, Zuke, and Raven, two of whom are not working on the show anymore. There is much more to be criticized with the writing than the art.

I was intersted at first. Thought it was a neat take on the magical girl genre. I got really bored with it once it got to the space drama shit like other anons mentioned. SoL was definitely better.

Also muh LGBTQ+ isn't something I'm even remotely interested in. I don't think non-racial representation is important.

I love Jasper and Pearl. Greg is cute. Amethyst is written better than most of the other characters but she's a bit boring. The development for Steven and Peridot has been disappointing, but I still like them. Garnet used to be a badass in season one and is now barely a character. Lapis is unlikable. Connie is annoying. The diamonds are unthreatening and haven't done jack shit even though the show is already in season five. The pacing and Steven POV is fucking awful, and the writing in general started getting sloppier with the Sardonyx arc and at the start of season three. Big plot points that get built up heavily tend to be resolved badly. The episodes they waste on townies instead of developing characters who need it are stupid wastes of time. The music and art is great. The messages of love, family, and acceptance are heart warming, even if some things are handled strangely or ham fistedly. I think the show's mature approach to talking about relationships and self identity is unique and something that can be really helpful for a lot of kids. More western animated series need to make an attempt at doing something original and telling an averarching story like SU does.

I like it but it has a lot of wasted potential. That is what I think about it.

It would make the show interesting and make steven relatable instead of the fat retard who doesnt even notice them that way besides being a fucking teenager

It's getting worse and worse. They give us promises of cool plots involving homeworld, of steven developing into a proper warrior and we get more filler caused by steven being a little baby bitch.

But I'm not giving up on this show. It's gonna take some real bullshit to set me free.

First off, ain't Steven like a 10 year old pre-teen that can't age regularly and only through his emotions? And second, he don't need to fuck gems. What he needs is better human girls to love.