EVERY COMIC SHOULD BE A MINI-SERIES. THEY ALL GET BROKEN UP INTO 6-12 ISSUE STORY ARCS ANYWAY...

EVERY COMIC SHOULD BE A MINI-SERIES. THEY ALL GET BROKEN UP INTO 6-12 ISSUE STORY ARCS ANYWAY. WHAT IS EVEN THE POINT OF LONG RUNS ESPECIALLY IF SALES DIP.

The long run

Do you ever think a character's journey in the main universe will ever end? Like the reason why so many people liked 90s DC was because shit MOVED on which is why everyone hates how DC keeps taking a shit on legacy for DEY ALL YOUNG NOW.

Will Cyclops, Daredevil, Hal Jordan, whatever marvel or dc character have a conclusion? Not some otherworld shit, but the main shit

It's much easier to jump on:
Godzilla: Half-Century War #1-6
Godzilla: Rage Across Time #1-5
Aliens: Defiance #1-12
Aliens: Dead Orbit #1-5

I don't see why Marvel and DC doesn't just do this. They even admit that the events sell well. Probably because events are always minis. Instead of hoping someone jumps onto Thor #34. They could just make Thor: Ragnarok Quest #1-6. Hasn't the sales of the Deadpool comic proven a success? They should apply his mini formula to every freaking character in the line.

TLDR; Why isn't everything a mini with cool subtitles SENPAI?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Worked for Hellboy

I miss when these were used as part of an overarching plot like during The Gauntlet then Grim Hunt

here's the problem sportsfan, comic books are bought by people who collect comic books 1st, they want #1's, variant covers and anniversary issues. They don't buy miniseries outside of events because they're seen as unimportant side books.

Hellboy works because he and the rest of the Mignolaverse are numbered in nice, sexy trades and big fancy books for anyone to pick up and read. It's not at all a pain in the ass to go and read. The only arguable flaw in the counting is how Hellboy in Hell is it's own numbering.

Marvel put out god knows how many "volume one"s of Thor and Captain America in the past five years.

The biggest issue is that you lose the sales to speculators and collectors. that is why #1's work so well, idiots who think they are going to make money from this crap in 50 years (they wont).

if everyting was a mini/had defined arcs, the "well its not important!" thing would go away.

The Black Panther book has been written in "seasons" and it seems to be working well sales wise despite the book being shit. THe sales tend to hold steady the whole season bc people don't want ot jump off until its over.

its the hardcore idiots who are obsessed with numbering (the same people who got excited the Legacy renumbered to "old" numbers and the same idiots who get mad with each relaunch) who are the problem.

And a huge chunk of the comic market IS those people.

when I used to work in a comic shop we loved the speculators. Had one guy that bought two of everything, "one copy to read and one to retire on"
we laughed, but sold him his books.

holy shit is that a Donna costume?

hnnnnnnggggggg

>floppies

Cancer

I do not disagree with this; tell a story when you got a good one to tell, not run a concept into the ground. If you want a young Peter Parker, do an "Untold Tales of" thing, set in the past. Let's have mantle-passing and actual change. Let's have some goddamned art.

every comic should also have 1 mandatory mating press scene

>speculators and collectors

Do those even exist, anymore? Nobody I know got to retire off their comic collections. I couldn't even make rent when I was forced to sell mine.

i have some original tmnt that have value, other than that its all birdcage liner.
pretty sure the only thing that has serous value is silver age and earlier.

There are folks who buy a few copies of Image #1's because quite a few of those have sold for reasonable prices in recent years, but nothing super high.

events sell well, mini-series don't.

minis have an air of irrelevance, events are NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN

I love these threads cause they always bring out the obvious newfags who think they've managed to solve in a few weeks of reading what industry vets have been stumped by for twenty years

I'm not defending the industry as is cause it's undeniably shit but the notion that any of your oh so brilliant ideas (many of which have been tried and failed years before some of you could even read at all) would fix anything is always good for a laugh

Plz gib thicc cosplayer gf

I am so sick of event after event after event after...

Sometimes it seems as if there are multiple events going on at the same time at a single company.

Whats hilarious is that Marvel could ABSOLUTELY get away with replacing their big-hitters with younger minorities and ladies if they did away with Marvel time, allowed characters to age alongside the movie counterparts and brought in replacements organically over time.

EXACTLY
Stark was what? 30 when he made the first suit in '63? he would be 80 something? pass the suit to someone.
ok, Rogers has SuperSoldier Serum.
Parker should be old and inna chair like Xavier with a couple of his and MJs spider babies running around taking care of shit
not Marvel but Bruce Wayne is almost a hundred years old?

how many characters have legit canon reasons for not dying of old age?

Logan
Steve Rogers
ummm, Galactus?

Magneto?

ok, yeah. "reset"
anyone else?

Nick Fury until recently.

wasn't dumdum an LMD

Since 1966, apparently.

I actually wouldn't mind if comic books officially went into 'seasons.'

I know both Marvel and DC do that now to an extent with their yearly pushes, but I would like to see this become more pronounced.

Almost all titles get a 6- or 12- month run with a single creative team. After 6 months, if the run does well, the team either gets a second 'season' or the title is either cancelled or switches teams.

This way we'll avoid 'stealth minis' or pushing out unwanted on-goings. Books either succeed or they don't.

These pictures make me feel like there's a case to be made for rape.

Who the thicc girl user?

Just look over the thread more carefully, bruv, you'll find the answer.

>That cosplay
user please, I am on my bed.

It's Marie Doll. Enjoy, man.

No, everything should be 100+ issue runs so writers are able to actually develop the story. Works for manga.

Battleworld was probably the best version of this. Just AU's and condensed retellings/What-ifs. Sadly you can never get a grand story or an epic crossover "THAT MATTERS". But yeah I think this is the point of trades and volumes. Since they are loosely condensed stories tied together by what event preceded it.

Hellboy is essentially one franchise though. It might have a lot of spinoffs but it's still central to Hellboy. DC and Marvel are just a clusterfuck of different titles.

So then just do that.
Just cut it out with the perpetual numbering entirely. It shouldn't even be that hard as it doesn't even fucking mean anything anymore. Instead of filling years of pages with FUCKING NOTHING, and putting Spiderman comics on shelves every single month where nine out of every twelve issues is wheel spinning and convenient trap doors, maybe strive better to tell a coherent story with a well-defined beginning, middle and end, and then break that story up into as many parts as necessary, no more no less. And then, maybe don't start up again the very next fucking month with another Spiderman story. Maybe don't have any spiderman stories for a year, and give the spotlight to Hulk or Thor or some shit.

You know, literally exactly what the movies do. The movies don't have to tell an Iron Man story literally every goddamn year. Thor Ragnarok was the first Thor movie in four years, and it still made far and away more cash than every single page printed in Thor's name over the last ten years combined.

So why don't they just do that? Put more emphasis on *story* and less on filling slots and making sure a specific character's face is on the rack every single month.

I remember reading this the first time.

Yeah but what if the stories continue from miniseries to miniseries?

Just look at Prometheus/Predator/Alien Life&Death.
I bet now that they're all out it's hard to figure out the reading order.

isnt it like that for the Judge Dredd comics?
Judge user, I know you're there, how do you keep the Dredd comics straight?

You guys.

Wikipedia is a thing.

This.
I honestly have no idea why they don't just release serialized stories with staggered release schedules exactly like the movie

>Release a Spiderman comic that tells a single, complete story over the course of 12-18 issues
>When that story is done, stop making Spiderman comics. Focus on another character, like Iron Man.
>Go back to Spiderman if, and only if, you've got a well thought out, thoroughly plotted, and wholly conceived story again. In the meantime, focus on other characters in other settings

So less like a continual tredmill of content, and more like the movies, or a Netflix show.
Why don't they just do that?

Give them a Meta Number in the upper left which denotes reading order
>Oh, this story is meta number 7. I still have to read 5 and 6 first.

comics are like the baseball of media

I don't know what's more exciting if her expression or her boobs?

Didn't Dum-Dum have a wfe and kids? Like, in the modern era?

>Books either succeed or they don't.
This idea makes me hard.

Comics should also be sold at grocery stores and 7-11s tbph

For 15 cents apiece!

>tfw still don't know why mega milk became so popular
its just a run of the mill incest mango

A media that only exists in USA and some Latin American countries?

That panel in specific is memetic, the comic got popular just by consequence of that.

It's also big on Japan but mostly disconnected from the western circuits.... Fuck it really is like comics.

they should just follow the mignolaverse way with the arc and number on the front and the actual number on the credit page