Carol Danvers Thread

This is the one that broke me. I just need to rage for a second.

Carol has to fake-discipline her crew to keep up her cover and her inner monologue is about how she doesn't like laying into people, despite the fact that she's a military woman with a reputation for being a hardass get-the-job-done type.

One moment Widow and Carol are throwing down with the dark Guardians, winning the fight, then Carol stops to laugh at something and the next page they're in cuffs taken prisoner?

During said fight Carol uses zero powers, no energy blasts, absorption or flight. She throws punches on par with Black Widow despite having super strength. She loses a fistfight with fucking Star Lord.

On top of all that Carol is still preoccupied with some literally-fucking-who side character alien child for no reason other than the writers wants Carol to have some kind of goal to search for.

As a Carol fan I've tried giving this volume the benefit of the doubt, but at this point I'm glad the book is getting cancelled.

Margaret Stohl doesn't seem to have the faintest idea of how to write a story for Carol Danvers, and can't even do anything interesting with her own take on the character.

Poorly written, wasted opportunities, completely out-of-character, and ultimately just boring and forgettable as fuck. I miss Kelly Sue DeConnick, I miss Brian Reed.

Put Carol back on Earth, make her a fucking superhero again, and stop churning out shit stories for the sake of churning out stories.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/GerryDuggan/status/946537009513762816
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Plus, Carol just seems REALLY dumb in this issue. Like, she tries to reason with this universe's Starlord, when she's been explicitly told that HER Danvers hates him...yet, she still calls him a friend and tries to reason with him??? She even claims that she's not supposed to bein this galaxy? No, universe! You're in an alternate universe, not galaxy.

Where the fuck where the editors for this issue.

>She loses a fistfight with fucking Star Lord.

Why is it that Carol can never win a fight anymore? She's always getting knocked out, jobbed, or they just run away. It's bullshit.

And how they lost that fight, even though they outnumbered the Guardians is just...???

Making her the leader of Alpha Flight has been the worse decision for the character, even worse when Kelly mind-wiped her for literally no reason.

You're right on the money about Carol not being able to win a fight anymore.

The mind-wipe was definitely a turning point for the character and where KSD's run started to run out of steam for me, but I still hold out hope that a good writer can use that to retcon the poor characterization Carol's had in recent years by reverting her to her "original" self

I'm honestly happy about the Captain Marvel movie because synergy will actually help a character for once. Maybe they'll actually give her a consistent characterization and from what Kevin said (her being the most powerful hero in the MCU) she'll actually be portrayed as powerful again in the comics (or at least not lose every other god damn fight she's in).

>I miss Kelly Sue DeConnick
She was absolutely shit though. Only. Reed was good.

Only interesting story she did was the time travel one (which I think was actually her first real story arc for the character).

Otherwise it was A LOT of wheel spinning.

Jesus, especially after the mind wipe and she was in space.

Nothing really...happens.

But, yeah, Reed all the way. But man, he REALLY loved using "Carol's powers malfunctioning" as a plot point waaaaaay too often.

>She'll never be an alcoholic edging on the line of right & wrong while being an imperfect human being ever again.
I hate this

>drunk carol will never shove your head between her legs and force you to lick her pussy until she passes out

>Reed
>Claremont
>Busiek

Kelly atleast understood Carol on some level. I honestly don't know where she went wrong. Her earlier arcs were promising but somewhere around the way I started to lose interest in her run. I can't put my finger on when and why.

Remember when she was Ms Marvel, and she was interesting, fun, and had character?
Pepperidge Farm remembers Avengers 200

There was no consequences in her run aside for Carol losing her memory arc. It was played all super safe. The only other big thing that ever happened to her was those two old supporting women died at the end of her run. Which was alright but we didn't even develop any attachment to Kelly's Carol so why should i feel sorry for two lesbians.
It was fucking dumb. That Rhodey romance was rushed as hell. Literally took 3 panels to develop a 2 year romance or something.

No need to be sad, user. Marvel realized that the book is shit too. That's why they cancelled to relaunch.

I dont like the series but this issue gave us the OG Starlord Helmet and a Cute Rocket Racooness

When are we going to get our Kelly Thompson Captain Marvel/Spider-Woman romantic team-up book?

You'd think it would have occurred to Marvel by now that they have no idea what to do with Carol, and maybe it's a good idea to stop publishing comics no-one wants, wait for the movie, and then do something like that.

>despite the fact that she's a military woman with a reputation for being a hardass get-the-job-done type.

Well that was back in 2012-13 or whatever.
The fact of the matter is that all these sorts of people have gone progressively crazy over the last few years.
So is KSD's run on Captain Marvel better than everything since? Yes, but if she had stayed on she would have done stories just as shitty and cringeworthy as what we got, if not worse.

Just the fact that people are looking back on KSD's run as some kind of golden age shows how far and how fast the quality has fallen.

Reed's run wasn't anything special at all, but in retrospect now it seems impossibly awesome, something so great that it'd be impossible to duplicate now. Can you even imagine something like that happening ever again, and lasting for 50 issues???

You think the Mouse would allow their big female superhero movie lead to be gay?

I think part of the issue is that Marvel didn't seem to get that they made her a villain with Civil War II and are going out of their way to avoid being framed in a negative light, face any sort of repercussions for her actions or admit fault.

Hence why her first villain of her post-CW2 run is a shapeshifter taking her form, giving her a BAD Carol to fight, then being tricked by Hydra Cap to downplay her own descent into fascism and now she's stuck in an alternate universe where her reputation has been sullied by the actions of yet another BAAAAAD Carol...

Thankfully no, and they've rolled back her terrible lesbian hair in other media. MvCI has nice long hair

>She loses a fistfight with fucking Star Lord
I though she sandbagged

It's very well possible that this is the case, if so it went right over my head

Yeah, just checked the issues and she just duck a swing, starts laughing and gets handcuffed .
So I guess it's part of a keikaku?
Still bad if not worse

Bomber jacked, aviators and short hair is GOAT though

>A character so pathetic her threads can't even reach the 50 posts in this shithole full of horny virgin waifufags

Man, that's a new low even for marvel.

We just had a Carol thread.
But OK.

I want one

There's tsums.

Look I was agreeing with everything up until
>I miss Brian Reed
No. Never. NEVER. Brian fucking Reed must never be allowed to touch anything good ever again, not after what he did to Halo

His Halo was awful, his Spider-Man was forgettable, his Carol was pretty good.
Not as great as Busiek's, but good.

I never read his Halo, how bad did it get?

Check out some videos of Halo 5. It was literally the worst script I've ever seen

>The mind-wipe was definitely a turning point for the character and where KSD's run started to run out of steam
There was literally a single issue of the second volume that was worth reading ... the one where for no apparent reason she was teleported back to earth and had a one-and-done adventure with the little girl from the first volume.

I read the first issue of this run where they explained the embarrassing tv show was paying for the space station + crew and just walked away.

>shows how far and how fast the quality has fallen
That's pretty much true of the entirety of the Marvel Universe under Alonso, though.

There was that brief shining moment of hope right at the end of Secret Wars when it looked like they were gonna go Heroes Reborn ... and then they just crashed and burned.

It's OK, maybe Duggan will turn her around in Infin—
twitter.com/GerryDuggan/status/946537009513762816

Pull the trigger Marvel.

>I miss Kelly Sue DeConnick
Faggot

>Margaret Stohl doesn't seem to have the faintest idea of how to write a story for Carol Danvers,
NEITHER DOES ANYONE AT MARVEL!!!

It's almost as if they're waiting for the film to dictate the tone of the character!

Bullets could definitely kill Jessica, but I think that Carol is bulletproof.

You know what, screw you because Bob Ross is beautiful, and a friend to all squirrels who has more dominion over them than squirrel girl. On a side note, how many of us would read a comic if Bob Ross did backgrounds?