If Steven was going to go to the Palanquin anyway...

If Steven was going to go to the Palanquin anyway, why didn't Garnet give Steven future vision so he could see what would happen?

Because she didn't want him going.

Also this whole scenes was fucking great.
I love Blue Diamond.

I mean, you're expecting consistent writing from the Steven Universe crew of all things. They'll always let you down in that regard.

It's already been shown that Pearl can fire lasers from her spear and even throw it, but she never ever uses those attacks. The writers just refuse to remember what each character can and can't do out of sheer incompetence.

if they can move that means the animation is right

but wouldn't show his father being kidnapped and being put in serious danger have stopped him going?

What's even worse is that Pearl couldn't even use her holograms to assist her in combat.
The Capturing Peridot Arc had plot holes, like Garnet never using her gauntlet rocket launchers, Amethyst never using her shapeshifting powers and even Pearl never shooting lasers. People say is the best show yet it is inconsistent when it comes to plot, character, and art.

Then he would've went there alone.

because it need filler episode .

> expecting time travel / future vision that doesn't create plotholes

Future Vision is technically plothole-proof because it was established as unreliable.

Not really because it makes no sense for Garent to not give Steven future vision in this situation

Then he would've known the Blue Diamond was there and would've went to see her.

Giving Steven Future Vision causes problems.

Giving Garnet Future Vision was a mistake.

Which is what he did anyway? What benefit would Garnet have from withholding the information that Steven's dad would get kidnapped?

>People say is the best show
only little kids and sjw's say that
There was a time where the show was generally well received on Sup Forums, but that time is long gone

She didn't want Steven to go there in a first place and get himself kidnapped. Plus she was terrified of Blue Diamond and couldn't think rationally.

>only little kids and sjw's say that
little kids don't watch the show and sjws hate it

Not quite.
Firstly, her predictions are probabilistic, so the incomplete nature of her information makes it fuzzy at best and even the most likely outcome is only a chance. Given that she came, she knew Steven bould not be stopped from going, so she waited till BD was gone. Because she is terrified of her.
She did not, however, foresee that Greg would get kidnapped. Which is no surprise. The events leading to that point were all centered around Steven. Greg was just a means for Steven to get there in Garnet's equation. She would never guess Blue could hit it off with him and just take him on a whim.

>tfw you remember a time when the gems were competent and had an air of mystery around them and you felt like they must have had such an interesting lore behind them
>tfw now you're just watching a show about a bunch of assholes hiding things from a kid and making him feel bad while he's the most competent character and ends up saving the day every time and deals with all their personal problems they had literally thousands of years to deal with while juggling his own which are 100x more traumatizing all while pushing the story forward by straight up confronting the matriarchs of the most powerful race in his galaxy while the gems hes supposed to look up to sit around and freak out about everything.

>tfw you were the guy who would post shit like this in every other /sug/ thread
After the Homeworld arc I spent a long time without touching anything related to the show, and having revisited it recently: the writing was honestly always shit. I loved the characters and the aesthetic so I guess I ignored that at first. But if you go back to the early episodes you'll find that the characters were always dicks, always had moments of inexplicable incompetence, and the show always reversed to status quo in the worst of ways.

>the matriarchs of the most powerful race in his galaxy
>most powerful race in his galaxy
Just because the humans of SU are fucking stupid. The Gem Empire is the most incompetent and pathetic Sup Forums alien empire ever

>If Steven was going to go to the Palanquin anyway

Going to the palanquin was probably the most likely scenario, but I like to think Garnet at least saw a possibility that she could convince him not to, and she wanted to take that chance.

Showing him one of the negative possibilities of him going (it might not have been the one where Greg just gets kidnapped, it might’ve been one where somebody actually died. In fact, it’d probably be a version where Garnet would go to Korea with Steven since that seems to be what she was thinking about, and all kinds of fucked up things could happen in that scenario) could have fucked up Steven way too much.

>one where somebody actually died
>could have fucked up Steven way too much
She already did it that time she gave Steven her future vision

I admit I don’t very clearly remember that episode, but I still think that the various things that could have gone wrong with Blue Diamond would still be more traumatic than the mind of stuff he saw that time.

Remember this scene when Peridot was flying away from the gang?

Why didn't Garnet launch her power gauntlets at her?

Why didn't Pearl shoot bullets from her spear at her?

Why didn't Amethyst transform into a bird, fly up to her and then transform into something else to trap her or get her down?

Why didn't Steven atleast try to throw his shield up at her?

They had other solutions too. Pearl and Amethyst could've fused together and thrown arrows for example.

you know why they didn't. Because the writers are god awful.

That was already brought up, everyone already knows the writing is shit and lazy

It has only been really shit and lazy since the Sardonyx arc. I couldn't get unhooked from season one and everything up to Malachite's second appearance in season two.

Remember when the gems jobbed to this weak little shit? Why did not Garnet use her future vision to dodge the ray of her wand? Why did not Steven throw his shield up at her? Why did not Amethyst use her whip to get the wand?

If Steven knew Blue was there than he would've wanted to go more, to apologize to her and try and TNJ her
And if Steven gave her any idea that the Crystal Gems are still active than it's possible she wouldn't have left Earth until they were all captured or shattered

future vision is tricky because garnet can see millions of possibilities including ones where steven dies by doing literally anything. So lets say the gems go in a safe mission. If garnet uses future vision,she can see the timelines where steven:
>dies in the mission
>survives the mission
>breaks his leg on the mission
>fails the mission
>succeeds the mission
etc,etc,etc. This means that you cant really tell whats going to happen and there was a chance that greg didnt get kidnapped, just as there was a chance of greg fucking dying.
Either way,garnets responsability should have been of telling steven what was gonna happen regardless of it being possible or not,but if she did the arc wouldnt have started and we would have gotten another 4 boring filler episodes,so im fine when the shit writing of the show leads to somewhere interesting.
Its an okay arc and sadly the best SU had to offer this year.

It's implied the crystal gems held humanities hand numerous times even preventing WWII from happening but this always bothered me. The greatest inventions this planet has seen has always been a byproduct of misery and war and when you remove that you've that the humans have became weak and stupid. Hell, I don't think this America has even gone to the moon and pearl ever mentioned that a dog and a monkey has gone to space and that's about it.

It seems that the gems have an extremely hard time using any force of power against any enemy with semi-sentient intelligence.

Literally the only battle they were competent with was with a bunch of fucking watermelons and even then they struggled.

Which reminds me, how did these fuckers manage to protect the Earth from who knows what for thousands of years?

they lost because kidnapped townies+the fucking overpowered wand.
I hate that they gave such an OP power to a character who is not going to do anything plot relevant ever again.
i remember asking matt burnett about peridot flying away and he straight up said it happened because the plot needed it to happen.
The crewniverse knows how to write characters and emotional arcs but they dont know how to write things that make logical sense.

because rose was there. i have the feeling she was the only reason the crystal gems worked.
I think that behind all that love shit deep down she knew what to do to guide her group to victory no matter what,and knew how to trace a plan and following it through.

I figured it was for the plot. They could've just as easily shown it though and still have Peridot get away. Like she dodges all their missiles and bullets and kicks bird-Amethyst or whatever until she gets too far away to be resisted. but idc

>the fucking overpowered wand
>I hate that they gave such an OP power
It was not OP. The wand can only freeze ONE target (one person or a group). The wand is useless against 2 fighters. Actually, the wand is weak against ONE competent fighter. Remember how Mr. Incredible almost catch syndrome with a simple trick?

As someone who actually enjoys the show, the future vision is the most absolutely broken bullshit possible and I hate every time it gets brought up.

If Steven's gem got cracked, would he get cancer?

Maybe im remembering wrong but i think the wand paralyzed both the humans and the fusion from getting away.The only one who wasnt frozen was steven

But syndrome was overpowered as fuck. He was able to paralyze the entire incredible family, so its not like he would lose against 2 fighters. And the battle was won there and then,and there where 4 fighters on that scene

yep,it froze everyone except steven. So it is overpowered

You'd probably try to have them get along and not act so retarded all the time, if you didn't know how much of those wars resulted in tech-advancement or were the result of new technology.

Hell, I've heard of people who wanted more wars and conflict because they think it will automatically lead to humanity's betterment, when it's really a coin-toss and there is no consideration for people on an individual level.

this
even a GOOD writer has to bust their ass to write a good script with time-travel/predicting characters and even then there are still some plot holes/inconsistencies

And this is how I see it:
The Crystal Gems have spent thousands of years only fighting retarded Corrupted Gems, they didn't have to put any thought into fighting them. And now all of a sudden they're facing intelligent Gems with technology they've never seen before. It'd be hard to fight them and think-on-the-fly.

e.g. Amethyst could've turned into a bird or something to chase Peridot in Keeping It Together, but it's likely she didn't think of that in the heat-of-the-moment. (Though for all we know she transformed off-screen.) But than in Message Received when Peridot ran away again she said "I've been ready for this!" and immediately transformed into a helicopter, because this time she was prepared.

They've fought enemies with flight abilities before
there's no excuse for them to just let her go without attempting ANYTHING

The only reason is lazy writing

>They've fought enemies with flight abilities before
not really. When you rewatch the episodes before jasper and peridot,every enemy could be defeated with just punching it hard or by a different angle. The monsters are pretty pathetic and can be handled easily. The only one who was a threat was the slinker and even that was only because they couldn't punch him in time

oh sorry i confused flight with "abilities" period.
In that case yes,its weird they didnt shoot nothing at peridot,but its different to shoot a bird than to shoot a being who is flying

not even gonna read because too afraid of spoilers but I'm at the part where they're at the barn in season two and this is so cute and fun :3
a bit overly lesbo
but it's fun and happy muh childhood
but it makes me feel like a kid again!!

you are adorable

i would love to see Rose come back in her form only to find Greg marring Blue Diamond.

You know, maybe that's why we haven't seen WD. She's literally the only non-retarded gem so she's always busy putting out a fire somewhere.

Could also be why gemkind is ruled by tyrants: gems are so fucking retarded that withpot an iron grip to keep them in place they just go full pants-on-head mode and just shit all over the place like the CGs did.

this is probably bait but honestly i agree, i'm not going to argue that SU is a masterpiece but it's fun and comfy

Who said they didn't attempt anything? Practically the whole chase was off-screen. For all we know Pearl tried shooting her with her spear lasers or Amethyst tried to transform or whatever.

I think them being stupid and facing situations head-on is an actual characteristic of them. It usually takes Steven to get them to stop and think. e.g. they would've went back into the maze "again, and again, and again, and again" in Serious Steven if it weren't for Steven. Or how Pearl fought Sugilite mano o mano until Steven told her to use her brain.

Garnet's future vision is absolute drivel and the writers do everything they can to avoid using it, which makes me wonder why it was ever introduced in the first place.

In-story reason would be Garnet having a crippling fear of Blue Diamond because her threats to shatter Ruby still resound deeply within Ruby and Sapphire's psyche. She chose to watch from the sidelines and let whatever outcome happen instead of risking a confrontation with Blue Diamond.

Strange how Steven doesn't blame Garnet as often as he should be.

>>tfw you remember a time when the gems were competent
When was that?

>not really
The fucking Gem war

why would it be bait user :( I've been binging on this stuff for the last 3-4 days while being sick and with my parents over for holidays with their obsessive controlling bullshit
so this is perfect for escapism, keeping me happy and comfy

>I sing along to the intro when nobody's around
>I'm becoming a faggot
but a happy one desu
you're adorable too user I love you

I must've missed the flashback when they showed the Crystal Gems fighting enemies with flight during the war

that was thousands of years ago. They have spent most of their lives fighting monsters than other enemy gems.
>Gem war
1000 years
>monsters
4000 years

>expecting gems to change on their own
It's been stated several times that the great thing about humans is they grow, unlike gems. Its only natural they are pretty incompetent and cant really much deal with anything they couldnt deal 5000 years ago, specially without steven

>sjws hate it
*cough* tumblr *cough*

why is steven so disgusted by kevin's existence? One would think connie would be more disturbed by him.

Bismuth mentions Pearl pulling a dropship pilot out of her cockpit. Though dealing with dropships (which were probably fat and clunky) is a little different from tiny targets like Peridot. But they have fought flying corrupt gems too, remember the giant bird in Giant Woman? Opal could've shot Peridot down.

IIRC they admitted it was out of character and just did it to make the episode work.

Big Bird?
The Puffer fish?