Ian Flynn Confirms That IDW Sonic Comics Will Not Have Archie Sonic Characters He Created

tssznews.com/2017/12/28/ian-flynn-confirms-that-idw-sonic-comics-will-not-have-archie-sonic-characters-he-created/

> Only two questions were asked, the first being whether the Sonic characters that Ian Flynn created in the Archie Sonic comics would carry over to IDW’s Sonic comics. This includes characters such as Coral, Razor, Spike/Sonar/Trevor, Eclipse, Relic, Thunderbolt and Conquering Storm. Ian’s response? “I’m going to say no. This is a new Sonic book. It’s a new direction, new publisher, new, new, new, new, new, new, new”.

Fuck Ken Penders.

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/I5OLi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Good, just start over. I'm not saying the Archie stuff was bad, not at all, but the stench of Penders is strong. Better to let it die.

It's too bad about Relic. I liked the idea of someone exploring Knuckles' island and him reluctantly agreeing.

Hopefully the concept is revisited.

who holds the rights to those characters anyway?

can a ninjara situation be done with them?

I feel bad for the people who got attached to them, like many did with the pre-reboot stuff that's gone too.

That said, this does make me more interested in IDW Sonic and what this new direction will bring. I'd rather a new book than redoing Archie Sonic again.

If I ever meet Ken Penders I'm going to stab him

RIP Thunderbolt

This is Ken Penders. The man who personally oversaw the downfall of the Sonic Comic continuity, sabotaged the comics from within even after being let go, blatantly stole SEGA's echidna aesthetics and characters, and is now making a comic based around them with a vile art style.

Say something nice!

I don't think we really have a clear answer on who holds what rights. I would think SEGA should own everything.

how was the comic cancelled again? low sales or just sega saying enough's enough?

So Sally the Mary Sue is finally gone?

He has a very good punch-able face!

Why Flynn again, ugh. Yay, more reddit Robotnik. If you're going all new then give us a new writer too.

Comic was perpetually on thin ice since Ken Penders. Then Ken convinced some guy to sue again and it all went to shit.

Or so I heard.

IIRC he fought to keep the book going when SEGA wanted to cancel it (Endgame), so I guess that counts for something?

>reddit Robotnik

what does that even mean

>Say something nice!

He managed to outlive the rest of the Neanderthal species by several thousand years.

If Sally, Bunnie, Antoine and all the other freedom fighters are confirmed to not return...I'll be fucking pissed!!!

Ian's robotnik is that stupid 'I'm a genius but also randumb xD' kind of fucking character, it's fucking terrible.

I think a good amount of it involved the financial and ownership problems at Archie.

how is he random

t. guy literally never read the comics and has only seen that one page where eggman is legit losing his fucking mind

I wouldn't call it random, but that's how he was written in Colors and Lost World, only Flynn does it better.

The Freedom Fighters are not characters Ian Flynn made.

Ken Penders initial lawsuit troubles regarding Sonic Chronicles and Archie lead to a reboot. SEGA was not happy with that lawsuit and Archie's ineptitude.

Following the reboot, Archie continued to sell trades with previous writers' characters. This lead to another lawsuit against Archie and SEGA from former writer and editor Scott Fulop. I assume this is the straw that broke the camel's back and SEGA pulled the license half a year later.

It should be noted that following 2016's unexplained hiatus, direct sales were dropping hard on the book, but without subscription and news sale numbers, we don't know if the book was doing fine financially.

Ian has only said his characters aren't returning. It doesn't rule her out yet. Though, if she were to return at all, I highly doubt her or the other Freedom Fighters would have any major presence in the new book.

so it's still a miracle they got to continue even if their storylines are seriously nerfed?

Who cares, give me my bae Sticks and I'll be happy

It's a miracle Sonic comics are even still going to be a thing. SEGA has never given me the impression they have cared or even wanted people to know there was a Sonic the Hedgehog comic book with how little they promote or even mention it. Them partnering with IDW surprised me, I assumed there would be no comic after Archie was confirmed to be cancelled.

What about the Freedom Fuckers?

>Flynn is going to make a whole new set of OCs npw
FUCK
I didn't really like most of his previous OCs, but I don't think that his new ones would be better.
It died with reboot.
Considering how situation at Archie was after lawsuit - most likely Sega.

Still up in the air.

They are allowed to use AoStH and SatAM cast, but they probably won't do it right away to establish their own thing first.

>They are allowed to use AoStH and SatAM cast
This has not been said.

I'm surprised about how sega apparently will give IDW some leniency on the story they will tell. same rules given to archie but they'll enforce it depending on the story written.

I never played sonic chronicles what was in that game that made Penders snap

Shade and the Nocturnus Clan

He felt it ripped off the Dark Legion.

echidnas

so how true is it that he only sued when a fan convinced him he could win?

How in the seven fucks THAT MAN, with THAT FACE and THAT FAT, managed to destroy AN ENTIRE COMIC SERIES!?

theres no way flynns new characters are gonna be as good as the ones from the archie era.

Idw sonic is dead on arrival and its ALL THANKS TO THAT FAT FUCK!

Not true in the slightest because it was Archie that sued him

I don't know if it was a fan that convinced him, but Penders did admit he waited years after chronicles release because he didn't "check his legal rights" or something. I'm fairly certain there are interviews from before Chronicles where he says his stuff was owned by Sega.

He's talking about Penders suing Sega.

>so how true is it that he only sued when a fan convinced him he could win?

I’ve never heard this theory. But it’s probably based on the likely lie that he didn’t hear about the video game until a few years later...but still within a year of filing the lawsuit. You see, US copyright law isn’t clear if you need to sue within a year after the infringing content is published, or whether it’s within a year of you discovering the infringing content. So a lawyer will tell you to lie and say you only learned of it recently to be on the safe side. I still think it’s unlikely that he wouldn’t have heard about it right away given that he’s at a regular fixture SDCC’s artist’s alley. So it seems more likely that he heard about it from a fan, but then convinced himself that he’s the greatest, bestest Sonic writer and everyone is stealing his stuff.

As excited as I am to see another fresh start become a fresher start, I'm sad that no fan favorites will be returning. I'll still read it and hope for the best.

Depends.
SEGA holds the rights to them (hence why they appeared in SATAM and Spinball and whatnot) the only major question is whether or not they'll be used because of their association with Archie. Keep in mind that Cream and Gemerl were barred from the comic for so long due to their association with Sonic X or something along those lines.

Thank you for dislodging the book from Archie so the staff can be paid better.

So are we still going to have lesbian Sally and Nicole?

Because you know, girls can't be close without wanting to fuck each other.

You do know that Flynn wrote Sonic/Sally pre-reboot, right?
Also, might as well post this:
imgur.com/a/I5OLi

Your point being?

Flynn was factually setting up Sally and Nicole to become the new Korrasami.

>Girls can't be close without fucking
Sally and Bunnie were supposed to be BFFs and never had any sexual tension. Just saying.

It's very unlikely Archie's Nicole will ever come back and even less likely that Ian will confirm gays.

>source: my anus

>Ice Man is just as much Roll's brother as Blues is, wants to fuck her.
>Nicole is essentially Sally's little sister, to the point of roughly basing her voice and physical appearance on her, wants to fuck

What's with Ian and robo-incest?

Wasn't the issue with Korrasami being that it came out of nowhere after all the other buildup or something (I'll admit I barely watched much of the original Korra, much less anything after)? You'd have more of a point if it were pre-reboot since they actually had hetro relationships/shiptease there, but as is, I don't see much similarity besides lesbians and being explicitly confirmed after the comic.

In fairness, Capcom started that with Battle & Chase with Roll also being implied to have a crush on Rock in certain games (notably Powered Up when fighting Copy Robot).
Did not realize that about Nicole though.

Ice man has wanted Roll ever since Mega man Battle and Chase, its not new

I only bring it up because he was adamant that Ice Man didn't count as a sibling...somehow. and he ignored the little Rock/Roll shipping bits from various media since that's totally incest.

>>Ice Man is just as much Roll's brother as Blues is
But he's not. Light built Blues, Rock, and Roll as surrogate children. That's not the case for the Robot Masters.

I believe the general justification (not sure if it's just Ian or Mega Man media in general) is that the MM1 line was developed independently of Rock and Roll or Rock & Roll were designed as child to Light whereas the Robot Masters were made for doing work.
At the end of the day though, they are all still DLNs so make of that what you will.

>The generalized purpose of the robot supercedes all, but each group of Wily Masters is considered "brothers" despite having wildly different origins, purposes and creators.

It's all a very silly attempt to rationalize keeping elements that conflict with the writer's morality. Rock x Roll is icky and gross but you can come up with a reason why Ice Man doesn't count so it's fine! Just ignore this other example that contradicts that very rationale!

I normally wouldn't care too much, but his handling of the comic in general was pretty sloppy and not to well thought out.

At least they confirmed in the convention interview that it won't be a straight adaption title. It might still have a chance.

Hope not.

>dead on arrival
There is an army of autists that lap up anything sonic related. Even if it’s fucking terrible, people will love and defend it.

I mean again that's him getting saddled with Capcom not really giving a fuck about the artificial family side of Mega Man.

Though he could just have not used it, I guess.

Ariga made it good and simple, all DLNs including Rock and Roll are siblings, all DWNs consider Wily to be their father and the Kossack robots also consider each other to be brothers.

He also enjoys excusing himself using Sonic even if he says he is totally over it.

A couple of days ago:
>Someone called him up on his comic app he has been still not ready.
>His defense was that it is totally-in-beta and that its at least further in that the Sonic movie currently in production.

What kind of dumb excuse is that? The two things couldn't be more diferent.

Tries to call that out but he STILL has a group of fanboys that will jump to his defense at a moment's notice, and kind of got bored after they wouldn't shut up and say "Its better than what Ian has been doing!!"

I'm pretty sure it's just him with other accounts given how fast that response was. For someone who whines about Trump 24/7, he sure loves using Trump's use of Whataboutism everytime someone criticizes him.

Didn't Ariga keep the Ice Man/Roll relationship though? It came up a bit in the Battle & Chase chapter.

I don't actually recall to be honest, that chapter was a bit weird compared to everything else in Gigamix.

No

Yeah it was more comedic.
>"Proto Man" talking to Roll and Kalinka whilst continually mentioning that he's Proto Man
>Freeze Man thinking of Ice Man as his senpai

Alright then.

Bas Chris ever met Penders?

I don’t know. I can’t imagine Chris would even recognize him. Any meeting between them would probably be a huge anticlimax

Fucking Bioware

Why did Archie have such a fucked backstory?

He ended up having Vesper Woman consider herself siblings with Tempo despite being in the exact same situation as Blues/Roll/Rock and Ice Man.

If you're gonna make changes, you gotta be consistent.

>One dude spends the back half of dozens of issues infodumping random backstory bullshit.
>It ends up confusing an stupid
Whodathunkit

Characters who will appear without a doubt:
>Sonic
>Tails
>Knuckles
>Eggman
>Amy
>Shadow

Lack of proper SEGA supervision. Sonic Team can't into worldbuilding.

F

Chris doesn't like or read the comics so I doubt he'd even know who Penders is.

It was based on the American backstory at the time which dictated that Sonic and friends lived on a world called Mobius and whatnot.
Then Sonic Adventure, which mostly prioritized the japanese backstory got released and they had to suddenly make everything work.
This is without mentioning Ken Penders' Echidna lore which Sonic Adventure in particular threw into chaos.

Some of Sonichu is traced right from Archie Sonic, man.

Something nice? Okay, Ian is not the savior of Sonic Comics. He's very boring outside of reference material across Sonic's history. He's dull and just too "safe" in the long term to the point we need new blood. So don't blame Ken for this guy's flaws. IDW Sonic has the makings of a blank slate, but when I recognize Ian's formula I'm already disinterested especially since his OCs weren't very worthwhile either and no masturbating to the female ones doesn't count as interesting or anything substantial.

Didn't the reboot have a few other writers like Evan Stanley, I think her name was.
Other writers are good, just as long as they know the source material. Pontaff apparently don't, hence the writing in the newer games and Titan Tails wasn't even a Penders creation, shockingly enough.

That's not a nice thing to say about Penders though.

Can someone recomend good sonic fanfic?

P.S. something that feels like this [ao3]/works/1461697

Meh, as terrible as the stories were, the Bollers and Penders characters were better anyway.

Isn't it wonderful

I think it's safe to say if a character has been in a sonic game since Colors that's not Boom continuity the chances are high that they will be in this

I hope he dies by getting raped with a broken bottle up the ass while Christian Chandler make shim choke on his semen.

I hope so, I dont hate the FFs but theyve always felt unnecessary to me, especially post reboot when they feel like they're just

there

Post an example

i think i might actually start reading sonic if it meant that those faggots are finally gone.

i liked megadrive but the mainline comics are trash that makes the writing in sonic 06 look like a fucking masterpiece by comparison

>that makes the writing in sonic 06 look like a fucking masterpiece by comparison
You can hate the mainline comics however you want, but that's underselling how screwed the writing in 06 is.

i dunno some of the stuff I've seen in the archie & fleetway comics could make a kid on deviantart kick themselves that they didn't think of it first

And then they let the guy write Forces. Because Sonic Team is fucking retarded.

thats too bad,i relly liked those characters,i really liked sonic archie,but i choose to trust ian,he did gave us some great archie comics and some great characters,altough im sure going to miss the sub bosses,they were great

It sounds like you looked at a bunch of stuff out of context from a comic with a 100 issue streak of garbage and made a snap judgement.

It's like looking at the 3D Sonic games and deciding Sonic was never good.

And nothing of value was lost

But when, exactly, did you read Archie?
Fleetway and Archie were the way they were because they were operating under Sega of America's backstory for Sonic and Sega didn't really keep a close eye on them.
By the time Ian joined, Sega finally noticed and that's when mandates started happening to keep it in check (like Sonic not being able to suffer a permanent setback). Then the Penders lawsuit happened and the reboot, though still have shades of the various American Sonic adaptations, mostly reflected the games.
Admittedly, Flynn has written stupid stuff, but nothing on par with Locke microwaving the baby or Titan Tails.

well this throws out like 90% of the reason to even keep Flynn on the book, he's a decent writer but most of his value was from the OC's and reinterpreted characters he came up with, not with how he handled the major SEGA characters

I mean sure he'll probably be making new ones, but there's only so many ways to approach this sort of thing