Do Gifs in Webcomics Work?

I've seen a number of webcomics that use animated gifs, but I've almost never seen it done well. Either the animated panels are halfway through their loop by the time you get to them, or there's only one animated panel at the end, and it becomes a physical struggle to not get distracted by it before you've read everything else.

Are there good examples of "animated comics" where the animated portions don't feel out of place? Is it a viable method? How can it be done without fucking up the flow of the comic as a whole?

Also, animated comics general, I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

english.bouletcorp.com/2013/10/08/our-toyota-was-fantastic/
thunderpaw.co/
kidradd.muddasheep.com/kidradd_guillaume/
english.bouletcorp.com/2015/01/16/heavy-light/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sauce for pic related, by the way, is english.bouletcorp.com/2013/10/08/our-toyota-was-fantastic/

I'll post the rest of it just to keep this thread alive, but the original website is probably the best place to read it

If anybody wants to contribute what they think are good examples of gif-use in online comics, feel free to do so. You can also post bad examples if you find any that are hilariously inept. My main interest, though, is discussion. Although obviously I can't control the direction in which this thread goes.

Image 3 of 11

Image 4 of 11

Image 5 of 11

Image 6 of 11

Image 7 of 11

Image 8 of 11

Image 9 of 11

Image 10 of 11

Image 11 of 11

(end)

The guy who did this comic, by the way, is a French cartoonist named
Boulet. I'm only aware of one other gif-based comic by him, but what's noteworthy is that in both his efforts, the only thing he chose to animate was the light. Everything else remains motionless.

I'm curious if it's possible to make good animated comics where motion is animated. If anyone has good examples, be sure to post 'em.

Here's a moderately lewd comic by the same guy. Not sure if this really happened to him, but he does live in France, so who knows.

Hell, I probably should have begun the thread with this image. Probably would have attracted more attention from the perverts on this site. Ah well. Hindsight is 20/20. I'm gonna stop posting now so everyone else can speak

thunderpaw.co/ Was a beautiful read, the animations never felt slapped on and they felt like they helped the mood of the comic.

Woah, that's some pretty trippy shit. I'm gonna have to read all of it somewhere down the line. Is it very long?

Also, you know of any other gif-based comics?

kidradd.muddasheep.com/kidradd_guillaume/

Kid Radd had a setup where panels preloaded and showed one at a time, and animations began playing as soon as you clicked to it. It was probably one of the best sprite comics technologically, but every mirror left today has problems (this one, for example, blurs on scaling).

>in both his efforts, the only thing he chose to animate was the light
Huh?

Oh wait, I guess I was wrong.

Also, in the other comic I mentioned, the only thing that's animated is light, but it's made to look like a liquid. So yeah, you got me.

The point I was trying to make I guess, is that he doesn't animate any large motions. Like people moving their arms or whatever. And I'm wondering if there's a reason for that.

Like, maybe it's the case that if you don't do animations that are really short, you run the risk of the reader only coming to the animated portion when it's halfway over, which effectively forces the reader to wait for the loop to start again.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. I'm not sure. That's kind of the reason I started this thread: to find out. And it's been a long time since I really read the comic I posted, and I kind of posted it without looking at it very carefully. So I'm sorry for any errors I might have made. Feel free to correct me anywhere else I might have erred.

The last image I posted was from the other comic I mentioned, "Heavy Lights of January." I'll post it for anyone else who is curious.

Image 2 of 8

Source on this comic, by the way, is english.bouletcorp.com/2015/01/16/heavy-light/

Image 3 of 8

If there is certain action that is required that still images won't do then use a gif

Like the previous comic, I'd recommend reading it on the original website, but you can do whatever you want. I'm posting it here for convenience's sake.

Image 4 of 8

Also, if anybody else has got shit worth storytiming, don't be shy about it. By all means, chip in.

Image 5 of 8

Image 6 of 8

Image 7 of 8

Forgot to say "Image 8 of 8" but y'all get the idea. Anyhow, I gotta walk my dog. Post examples, argue with each other, do whatever you need to do. It's an interesting subject, and I hope the thread's still alive by the time I get back.

depends on the circumstance, but i like it when it makes a rare appearance that contrasts with the comic's standard format.

bump for interest

A pretty obvious and non standard example.