Who is the best comic book writer of all time and why?

me
i'm awesome

Geoff Johns for creating a story more imaginative and mind blowing than Watchmen

Warren Ellis (even his unfinished fuckaroos)

Kelly and Morrison are the best capeshit writers.
Moore and Miller and on a tier below.

I do believe moore is better, just not better at capeshit.

Also, the european comic escene has tons of people that is well beyond "good writers" like waid, bendis or millar.

René Goscinny. Alternatively André Franquin.
Hergé deserves the grandfather mention.

Joe Kelly?
What good capeshit has he ever written. His Superman and JLA were worse than even Johns.

He writes a great Spider-Man, Deadpool, and both at the same time

Chris Claremont.

>>STILL asspained about Thatcher, a politician who left office 27 years ago and died 5 years ago
>>A good comics writer

Pick one.

The one in the OP. I'm a sucker for anything that reads like a good novel, and Moore makes comics like that. The detail, the composition, the small references to things that tie back into the main theme or topic...

The only one who is his living equal is Cormac McCarthy with Blood Meridian.

Everyone’s going to give me shit but I really like ennis. I just really like war story’s

Yes

Boleé (Apocalypsemania)

Brugeas (Block 109)

Christophe Bec (Prometheus, Siberia 56. Carthago, Best Job in the World and a ton of other stuff)

Bajram (Universal War 1, UW2)

Van Hamme (Thorgal)

Hermann (Afrika, Comanche, Bernard Prince, Jeremiah etc etc )

Leo (Betelgeuse, Antares, Kenya, Nairobi)

Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri (Drunna)

Pratt (If you dont know get an education and stop reading capeshit)

Bilal (same as before)

Mangin (Scourge of the Gods)

Not to mention Goscinny and Franquin (love his Spirous and Gaston)

I like Ennis too.
Consistent writer, Always high above average.

Long and good series like Punisher MK and MAX, Hitman, The Boys, Battlefields / War stories, Even some Judge D. for 2000AD

Rasputin didnt write comics

Make your bait more obvious

Probably someone who has never written capes

Is that Dumbledore?

Is there something similar to druuna?

No, that's Dirty Frank.

>Moore below Kelly and Morrison

KEK

>Morrison above Moore
>Miller on the same level as Moore

This

That I've read? Moore, probably. He's written some stuff I don't like, but I can respect the amount of work he puts into stuff. I read From Hell recently, and while I don't know if it's something I'd reread, I was astounded by how much work and effort was crammed into damn near every page.

I haven't read Eisner's stuff, but I've heard he was an excellent writer too. I need to get on that at some point.

Kerascoet

Because I like their writing AND their artwork.

>Moorefags instantly crawl out of the woodwork to screech

Go jerk off to Lovecraft some more.

You’re fucking retarded

>Morrisonfag mad that Moore at least had some original ideas in his life

To be fair, his Deadpool run is a Marvel staple, and one of the strongest of the 90s.

>>p97758449
Chill out, namefag.

Wait let me try that again.

Chill out, namefag.

Kerascoet don't write.

Moore wrote arguably the best capeshit comic of all time, while Kelly wrote a meme comic.

Paul Dini, Geoff Johns, Marv Wolfman, Dan Slott, Mark Waid, Scott Snyder, Michael J. Straczinsky.

Moore ruined superheroes with his edgy spooky magics "philosophical" forced political bullahit writing.

This underachiever cockney edgelord will never be a respected author of fine literature, for everything he has done is complain about how capeshit is supposed to be for kids while he himself created the trend to ruin the myths by exposing them to real world issues.

Capeheroes are supposed to be about scapism, idealism and fun.

>Moore ruined superheroes with his edgy spooky magics "philosophical" forced political bullahit writing.
t. Geoff Johns

for me it’s Chris Claremont and Dennis O’Neil

Both great (and underrated) writers as well.

>This underachiever cockney edgelord will never be a respected author of fine literature
Jerusalem has been pretty well received, so he kinda already is.

Morrison is great writer.

...Kurt Busiek

Well crafted bait.

>I do believe moore is better, just not better at capeshit.
The hell are you talking about? The guy wrote Watchmen, Miracleman, Swamp Thing, The Killing Joke, For the Man Who Has Everything, Captain Britain, and created his own superhero universe with America's Best Comics. Morrison is pretty good but Moore easily matches him in that regard.

miller is absolutely on the same level as moore, pleb.

I will never get how anyone can hate him. Sure, he's written some edgy shit but stuff like Hitman, Punisher MAX, and Preacher are some of the best comics I've ever read. They just see some edge and just instantly discount it all without looking deeper.

Ken Penders, because he created a meme. Also he's definitely pedophile

Trade out Wolverine for ronin on this 3x3. 300 could also get in there, maybe get rid of born again because his DD stuff is seen as more of a cohesive story

Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Len Wein, and Garth Ennis

Ennis is easily one of my favorites as well. Never really has a poor story and his hits are seriously well done.
Hitman is the sleeper pick for best 90s DC comic.

Claremont.

He turned a failing book into a fucking powerhouse franchise, did "All New All Different" 40 years before it was in vogue and did a good job of it, and shoved in his fetishes left and right for his critically acclaimed 19 year run.

Claremont was everything an user should aspire to be as a comic book writer. Even if his prose is dated and melodramatic as fuck nowadays.

gaiman > morrison > moore > miller > ellis > ennis >>>>>>>>>>>> everyone else

>capebabby thinks his opinion is worth a damn

As an aspiring writer Claremont is definitely an inspiration for me in terms of how I want to manage my fetishes.

Uderzo/Goscinny

>gaiman
>cape

>It's a capenigger pretends sandman isn't cape thread

compare gaimans novels to moores '''''''''novels''''''' if you really want, because he sure as shit has him beaten there too, even more convincingly than his comic writing

>It's a "capechimp pivots to something completely unrelated" post

He's easily one of the best
Serge Le Tendre (La Quête de l'oiseau du temps, or Roxanna and The Quest For The Time Bird in US is think) - this shit is fucking amazing
Andreas (La Caverne du Souvenir (The Cave of Memory), and Rork)

Dont think so , but try "Lilith" by Luca Enoch. There are some translations (scanlations??)

>Moore
>Gaiman
>Don Rosa

There's literally no other choice.

Dont forget From Hell and League Extraordinary G . League is awesome if you know the sources materials

>ctrl+f Carlos Trillo
>No result

How predictable.

Thread should have ended here.

you forgot:

Tiziano Sclavi (Dylan Dog)
Giovanni Luigi Bonelli (Tex)
Sergio Bonelli (Zagor, Mister No)
Leo Ortolani (Ratman)

And lots of Disney Itlaian writers I forget the name right now.

I like Zagor, but only read a few issues 3 or 4, mostly the ones who looks like the monster from the Black Lagoon. So cannot make a proper opinion

Wish I had the scanlation from that one, bcs i miss the conclusion, dont even know the original numbers of those issues.

We have a lot of good ideas and original stories in Euro comics, but most ppl here only read capeshit.

>Gaiman's novel's better than Moore's

Gaiman is a good comic writer and a thoroughly average mass market novel author. Jerusalem is flawed but it actually has some level of artistic merit.

I don't think Moore is the greatest comic author, though I do like him. Karl Barks and Osamu Tezuka have to be shouts though.

(And yes, I know Tezuka is Sup Forums but if we're going to discuss the greatest comic writers his name has to be mentioned.)

Forgot to add: Read Franquin's Modest et Ponpom. Very funny. Shorts comic (one page gags)

On the same vein : Achille Talon , Cubitus

>ppl
Also don't try to act smug, shit like Dylan Dog is basically capeshit tier. Get better taste before shitting on capeshit, kid.

Back to Sup Forumsssburgers, weaboo.

Tezuka's not that good. Also, when people mention a mangaka/manga as the best comic book writer/comic then it just speaks volumes about the comic book industry.

he is but all the newfags have only read Holy Terror, so they dont know

I expected more hate for the Gaiman thing, heh.

I'm not into anime at all, but I love comics as a medium. Tezuka's main inspiration was Disney comics and it comes through in his style. I don't mind you thinking he's not that good but implying he shouldn't be mentioned here is silly. He should be considered part of the same canon due to his influences, and objectively his impact on the industry is gigantic.

The fact you expected hate for liking Gaiman points to a serious issue in Sup Forums

More the fact I'd picked on his novels than liked his comics.

Bill Finger and you know why.

I think it's gotta be Miller in terms of Americans. Huge breadth of work in a variety of genres.

He's a GOAT artist, but Moore is a lot better as a writer. It's not even fucking close.

It's just Johnsfags who hate him because he doesn't shill capeshit.

Tezuka's not even the best mangaka.

Well yeah, I was just referring to his work on capes stories though.

Is Martha Washington good? What's it about?

Alan Moore

but

I feel Grant Morrison still has the potential to still superass him

It's great, it's like a Scifi pisstake on a dystopian America. Frankly pretty prescient.

absolutely

I agree. user is awesome.

Interesting, never read anything by him before.

Might pick that and Ronin up.

My personal top list is (in no particular order)

Gaiman
Sakai
Inoue
Watterson
Goscinny

I only read the batman one, which was good, and the Martha one, which was trash.

Will Eisner is objectively the greatest of all time

you need to check out his Daredevil/Elektra, pretty solid
and SinCity is art.

Of all time, I have to give it to Chris Claremont.

Presently though, my favorite author for the last 10 years has been Rick Remender.

Name 10 who are better

>Of all time, I have to give it to Chris Claremont.

His X-Men run sucks ass, it reads like a children’s book

I feel like I should praise Claremont, but I can't get over my hatred for him over the whole "no see, Magneto is actually a good guy and not a genocidal psycho!" thing. All of the obsessive Magnetofags shitting up the X-men fan community are entirely Claremont's fault.

>that entire list

O I am laffing

I think Miller is a contender for first place, but Sin City beyond first album (one of the best comics) is just cutting off the coupons