Is their a point where homage can be considered

Is their a point where homage can be considered
plagiarism and if so has Steven Universe reached that point?

Speaking of plagiarism, stop posting this exact same fucking thread 5 times a day.

Can you really plagiarize if you execute an idea so horribly it hardly resembles what you're aping it from?

I guess...

Funny thing is, Stranger Things does the same thing but no one calls the Duffers out for plagarism.

>shitty art
>stolen plot ideas
B-BUT MUH LESBIAN SPACE ROCKS

I'm so glad people are finally turning against this show.

They do all the time. Anyone who isnt braindead knows its a blatent grab for people's nostalgia by ripping off everything from the 80s onward to the 90s.

You dont hear about it because this isnt Sup Forums.

>I'm so glad people are finally turning against this show.

Sup Forums doesn't count as people retard

>The West plagiarises Japanese work
>Vice Versa
What else is new?

Rebuild is better

Is it laziness or just an attempt to pander to nerds on Sup Forums and Sup Forums?

>End of the World
>Damage was confined in a single town that immediately went back to normal once the villain was "destroyed"

what is this, a picture for ants?

Ask Chris-chan

>B-BUT MUH LESBIAN SPACE ROCKS
Sup Forums beats Sup Forumsmblr again in its own game

>be Rebecca Sugar
>want to put some of my anime inspirations into my show
>hmm that vhs bit from Bebop will be pretty easy to animate so lets use that
>be Alex Hirsch
>want to put some of my anime inspirations into my show
>hmm that Third Impact scene will be pretty hard to animate but I'm a professional so lets use that
I'm starting to think that the real thing that makes some ripoffs ok is that they still put out a quality product that can stand on its own.

HnK's has a much better Lapis, too.

Honestly, just say any recent western animation and they were probably "inspired" by anime. No such thing as original ideas nowadays.

it isn't hard to be better than shit

Well, yes. If you just copy an episode without doing anything with it.
Or blatantly trace a design without permission.
Other than that, hardly. Plagiarism is selling the stuff of other people as your own. With cartoons it is incredibly hard to actually reach plagiarism unless you steal a script and use it unaltered, trace a character or copy a music track.
You can get so fucking close to something else without plagiarising, you won't ever do it as a show runner because you have enough resources to produce an actual show and it costs all the same so long as you don't actually steal assets, which is mostly glaringly obvious.
Making x-scene but with y-characters in z-context is the equivalent of quoting another text in a scientific paper.
That is, absolutely legitimate and often expected.
In fact I am waiting for an SU song that is called Lion in Space and is similar to Space Lion in Cowboy Bebop.

Can someine tell me why shows like steven universe abd star vs are filled to the brim with blatant anime references? Are they trying to capture the weeb audience? Are they trying to look "hip and nerdy"

Have they done a jojo reference in any of these shows?
>Inb4 billy and mandy

>it posting the original hack, anno

Every work for millennia has been influenced by the writer's frame of reference. As such, there have never been utterly new ideas, just a giant chain of retreads, hommages and inspiration.

there some nice nods towards anime in stuff like fusing fights and such, but the creators themselves said they had anime influences, so I don't see how it's a big surprise

>Are they trying to capture the weeb audience? Are they trying to look "hip and nerdy"
The creators are weebs in a position to live out their fanfic dreams, that's about it.
>Have they done a jojo reference in any of these shows?
Tragically yes.

Isn't one of the fight scenes in Knockin' on Heaven's Door inspired by a Bruce Lee movie? Something like that. I guess it can be considered an homage especially if it was made as such and not an attempt to plagiarize.

The writers like it. That's the entire reason.

>these dense children in this thread

People put references to the things they like when they make things. The new creators these days grew up with anime. They're not pandering and they're not plagiarizing.

In 5 years we should have references to stupid YouTube videos, as the idiot children get out of college and get jobs.

If you want to do anything constructive besides playing spot the reference, you could look up annotations for old Looney Tunes shows that did the same thing. Foghorn Leghorn is a reference that outlasted what it was referencing.

But I wouldn't expect anything from 20-something losers who can never make anything but endlessly consume media for children, or comics for adults who act like children.

Care to elaborate where that was?

Ideas are cheap and easy to make. Copying them actually requires more effort just so they're recognizable to viewers. It's not laziness, it's pandering.

No user, this is just another SU hate thread.

>Ideas are cheap and easy to make.
What have you made?

Anno ripped off the bible for Evangelion and I doubt it was an homage.

>Can someine tell me why shows like steven universe abd star vs are filled to the brim with blatant anime references?
Because the current generation of animators is a bunch of manchildren whose mindset is basically "OMG I saw cartoons when I was a kid, I want to make my own cartoon xD!!!". Now imagine if some of the fucktards of Sup Forums end up making a show.

This is literally why every maker makes things. It is very rare for people to do it just to eat.

I only save JoJo memery that amuses me.
I think it was the generic Stand rush thing.

>People take up animation to make money
Lmao no. That has always been the mindset, well apart from the pioneers.

I'll be really upset if steven just casually forgets about connie because the writers just forgot about her and just swings to some flaky gem-bitch
connie was waifu-tier desu >:(
>inb4 steven behaves like a flaky womyn because he's written by womyn

>tell us your creative works history so we can dox you

Not every maker was a stunted manchild

>cowboy bebop invented vhs tapes
Dbz invented water

Not that guy, but I'm a roleplayer in agreement.
I have written a 5-page document detailing a fictional society for bird people, detailing family dynamics, power structures and so on because I wanted to play one of those in an RPG.
I also attempted to write up a setting for monstrous races exclusively but abandoned it when I got bored. Although I played around with a little RPG session and a shameful smutfic set there.
Also dozens upon dozens of characters I played over the years and places I ran adventures in.
With a bit of training and confidence you can just speak in-character as any char no problem. Anyone who played as a game master knows how fast you can switch between characters. I personally did dialogues from thin air on topics that kinda just happened.
Ideas and words are so fast it's not even funny. What's work is continuity, pacing, structure. Not to start on the drawing part.

>the writer's frame of reference.
Which can be other things other than fiction, soyboy, making them actually original ideas.

i like homages

...They are still together and will be together on their own in the next episodes.
The fuck are you on about?

But when they're taking complete scenes, designs, and character traits from preexisting animes and their characters instead of coming up with their own it comes across as lazy to me. Pic related isn't SU but SU is made by the same kind of people who do the same shit.

>star vs
>blatant anime references
What the hell are you talking about?

>connie's bedroom eyes in 3rd panel

Don't you see that it's more effort to fit your stuff over another thing with completely different context for a reference than just doing your shit?
There are hundreds of ways you can show Jasper leering in the water. Making her look like Vegeta doing it is extra effort.

it's awwwwwwwright

Ok ko has a blatant pose reference with captain planet. I liked it.

I'm at the beginning of season 3
it's still very fun but I thoroughly dislike Lapis so far
she's an uptight ungrateful little know-it-all and reminds me of bad people ><
peridot is qt tho

I'm having difficulty figuring out what this picture is trying to convbey.

Star references the everloving shit out of Sailor Moon m8.

Wow, it's not like the "Crocodile peek" is not a common image.

Think about it this way user: It's a storyboard driven show and there's a lot of young storyboarders that come fresh out of an art institute. Most of them, if not all of them, have grown up being nerdy anime/video game fans. If they get the chance to shoehorn their weaboo references into a cartoon, they will. '''''Homage'''' is the excuse.

I think you can call it hommage if there is nothing shockingly original and talented about what is copied.

The creator of Svtfoe is a fan of some Japanese cartoons, like Sailor Moon, and really wanted to be a magical girl when she was in high school.
See Starfan13 for what she was like at that age.

Young Enid is definitely a weeb homage. The other one is based on an even older fashion aesthetic that both shows are copying from, looks like. Nobody ever mentions how anime has copied a lot of euro and burger culture for their character designs for decades, and why is that? Because "homage".

>tfw think a scene in Steven Universe was neat
>someone tells me it was an anime reference

I can't even remember any scenes I enjoyed visually that didn't end up being anime references.

Lapis never changes from being an uptight ungrateful cowardly rapist and you should just drop the show if your favorite character is Peridot since Lapis ruins her

OP's pick is homage because the actual crossover between the two clips only lasts for a few seconds, and the bottom panel is a stretch honestly.

It'd be plagiarism if the entire episode was focused around trying to find a way to get the VHS tape to work, with Greg watching the tape and sending a message to himself about how he should be cool and stay strong, as the crux of his character development. Then it's just straight up ripping from Cowboy Bebop, and I think people would have a right to be mad. The only thing that really lines up is the first three panels in the OP image, which lasts only a few seconds in actual airtime. The last panel represents two totally different scenes with borderline opposite messages (you're going to be really cool future me for Cowboy Bebop, your dad is really cool right now future son for SU) and I feel like the person who made it only included that to try and reinforce the point, but it's unnecessary.

Steven Universe borrows too little to be considered plagiarism, however the incessant use of homage in dramatic and important moments definitely says something about the quality of the show.

So? Naruto ripped off Hunter X Hunter.

It's inspired by that and other magical girl anime in general, but I don't think you can do a shot-by-shot comparison to anything from Sailor Moon etc. the way you can with SU's references.

The closest thing I can think of was how a first-season transformation sequence was visually similar to Sailor Moon's, but that wasn't shot-for-shot and was a joke because it was about 5 seconds. There's Mina Loveberry too but that's literally just Sailor Moon's hair and nothing else, again as a joke since she's a washed up magical girl.

As far as I know there are no scenes from Star Vs. that were just lifted from another show.

Not common, but popular all the same.

Yes, but the line's pretty blurry so it depends on your opinion or that of your lawyer. No, SU doesn't meet the definition of plagiarism, because they don't try to pass off the ideas as their own.

is this an FLCL reference?

Nobody cares when Disney does it.
inb4Hamlet

That final frame...
>I have the weirdest boner right now

that's different, dysney made it way better

>Plagiarism is ok so long as I like it
Fuck you I bet you've never even read Kimba faggot

How would you even have that pic if nobody cared?

>moving goalposts

No, seriously.

List any actual references to Sailor Moon stuff besides a minor character having the same hair as a joke and being completely unlike Sailor Moon in any other aspects. There's nothing that compares to the kind of references SU does.

Do you really think this is something most artists don't do?

That is a very strong visual. No wonder it would be referenced.

Yeah, that's one. Any other I can think of, including a similar transformation, was a joke, and even then it comes to about 3 in total across 3 seasons.

That's pretty far from a "shitload."

I doubt you have, either. I've only seen the original anime, but it was nothing like the Lion King aside from having some similar visuals.

It's not even directly imitating each shot given that over half of that image is just Sailor Moon

I, too, HATE IT when things in one form of popular media happen in another form of popular media.

You can say the same thing for most of SU's homages as well.

No, I was actually commenting on the comparison image being done badly. At a glance at the thumbnail it looks like both scenes must be exactly the same.

Then you click on it and realize only the top two are Star, only correspond to 1 of the 4 Sailor Moon images there, maybe 2/4 in concept but not shot, and the rest is just standard "mahou shoujo transformation" inspired by Sailor Moon generally but not to the extent of something like .

It was said from one of the boarders that the transformation sequence drawed inspiration from both Sailor Moon and Digimon.

How's the OP pic any different? The last two pics aren't even similar. Like Star's transformation, it's an homage while not being a complete rip-off.

I'd call this the most retarded hot take I've read, but a lot of you creatively bankrupt autists think like this.

And I agree it's inspired by it. I'm saying it's not a case of copying each shot like some SU examples posted here and in other threads.

I'm saying the OP image has 4 shots deliberately similar to each other, while for Star/Sailor Moon there's just 1 that's the same, the chest shot, and the rest are just generic transformation sequence stuff.

But my original point anyway is that outside of those transformation scenes there's like nothing that's taken from Sailor Moon that isn't just a joke or generic enough to be from anything. My point was that Star DOESN'T regularly reference Sailor Moon the way this thread was claiming.

Those 4 shots are rather arbitrary and are hardly unique to the referenced anime. Very few people would see the reference before it was pointed out to them outside maybe Cowboy Bebop fans.

Steven Universe crossed that point a long time ago. It's purey hackery.

The last shot isn't even similar, it's really just the first three.

Also note how these things only ever reference entry level shit to further drive home that they're hacks.

No it's because they grew up watching Toonami and entry level shit like Evangelion or maybe Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer if they're really branching out. Says a lot that even stuff like Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road is probably too "obscure" for them to ever reference.

Why do Sup Forums and Sup Forums hate each other so much?

People have been calling them out on that for twenty years and they and Disneydrones just go "lol both were based on Hamlet like it's just a coincidence man". Same as Darren Aronofsky claiming he was in no way "inspired" by Perfect Blue when making Black Swan even though he owns the NA right to it so he could use stuff from it in Donnie Darko.

The reference is still there though. For Star the intent was also to visually reference Sailor Moon transformations, but more for style rather than aiming for similar shots/poses: most of the Sailor Moon images are more just "well um this transformation has ribbons too" because the Star sequence doesn't seem to be based on any one specific transformation scene.

But I'm really not trying to criticize SU either. My point was just that "Star Vs. does the exact same thing all the time but with Sailor Moon" was wrong, because those transformation scenes are like the only references at all and are based more on the idea of the scenes than any specific one.

Requiem for a Dream rather.

Every day I give thanks that Sup Forums is not involved in comics or cartoons.

> however the incessant use of homage in dramatic and important moments definitely says something about the quality of the show.

Name a few times it's happened

Source?

I think OP's the closest it's ever come, but it only lasted for a few seconds as an introduction. The core of the important moment of that scene was original. Honestly I think that user's full of shit. While the show does make frequent anime references and homages, its emotional moments are almost entirely original.