What did Tiana do wrong that Anna and Elsa did right? In terms of popularity

What did Tiana do wrong that Anna and Elsa did right? In terms of popularity...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ED0ySD51Z2U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not be white

Turn into a frog for most the movie.

people had stopped caring about traditional animation and, obviously, she's black.

released alongside AVATAR at the start of the 3D movie gimmick boom after disney successfully fucked their 2D animation departments in favor of Pixar while treating their brand channel as a dumping grounds for lackluster 2D animations

>not liking delicious brown/chocolate girls

Not 3D
'Princess' is only shown in a dress for a tiny portion of the film.
Songs lack 'magic': try to imagine a little girl singing any of the songs.
Not 3D

>people had stopped caring about traditional animation
Is that what disney tells themselves to justify making shit CGI that doesnt reauire as much effort

youtube.com/watch?v=ED0ySD51Z2U

inb4 >Pan Pizza

Yes like them until they stab you up.

Face it. Average audiences want a "pretty" see: white princess.

Meanwhile I saw this twice in theaters because it was charming and while it wasn't "original", it certainly wasn't 100% derivative and soulless like Frozen.

What’s wrong with Pan? He’s the best cartoon reviewer on YouTube which isn’t saying much

she didn't look like two versions of Rapunzel
her story isn't a synonym to the struggles of a lesbian

She's an actual character and the movie tells the audience to stop whining and do something about their lives. In short, it's the opposite of Frozen.

>that Spike doll's ears that stand up when you squeeze him
Damn. That's cute.

Yandere is cute, just know your place and she won't have to do mean things

Princess fantasies is something only white little girls cater to its utterly alien to girls of other races thats why you give white girls a non white princess they dont like it because it doesnt live out their fantasy.

I think you underestimate the money Disney pours into their CGI stuff.

>yandere
Oh my god you really dont know how psychotic black women are.

It isn't a princess movie. It superficially resembles a princess movie but it does a terrible job of creating the fantasy of being a princess, which is what little girls are buying into when they beg their parents to get them the dvds and merchandise.

Be black. And she was 2d in the 2010’s Also, tiana is objectively the best Disney princess.

No joke, I talked to many people that hasn't seen the film and they thought that Anna and Elsa are a lesbian couple.

>It superficially resembles a princess movie but it does a terrible job of creating the fantasy of being a princess, which is what little girls are buying into when they beg their parents to get them the dvds and merchandise.
This. It was also kinda boring, which for kids translates to just being fucking boring.

Yes, but its alot easier to animate therefore not as much effort. If you dont think the change to inferior CGi want based on laziness then i dont know what to tell you

Not to mention a white woman as elite as pic related wouldnt even be seen a filthy black like Tiana back in the 1920s. Rich whites are the most racist whites on earth BECAUSE THEY ARE THE DESCENDENTS OF THE WHITES WHO HAD SLAVES.

2D animation
she's black
and the name of the movie is the PRINCESS AND THE FROG
and not something simple like TANGLED or FROZEN

Coco is doing well, Moana did well, Aladdin did well, Lilo & Stitch did well.

It lost a lot of sales due to Avatar, the storytelling was relying too much on 90's Disney-isms even though at that point a lot more studios had evolved their storytelling where those -isms just felt outdated and lame, and it felt much more kiddy than something like Beauty and the Beast because of the constant slapstick humor and cliche jokes.

The film's emotional moments didn't hit as hard because of its silliness which made it far less memorable than Up! or WALL-E which were recent in people's minds and blew them away.

I KNEW BLUMPF WAS A RACIST!

That is funny now that you mention it. I see more little white and """white-passing""" Latinas, Jews, etc. if that's your forte girls wearing princess costumes out in public. I don't think I've ever seen a little black girl wearing something like that.

What would appeal to them, I wonder?

>its alot easier to animate
Why would the people behind these decisions care about this?

Its due to being in America for so long, user american non european non white little girls have no princess fantasies.

Because its cheaper and they can get less talented lazy faggots as animators instead.

>ywn see a spinoff movie/series about Lotte
She's so cute.

Not quite true. Jasmine was very popular at Aladdin's release and still is one of the most popular. Watch how many girls will dress up as her for halloween after the live action release.

Can probably thank the black community outcry over the movies original name "Frog Princess" as well Tianas original name being "Maddy" and profession a maid. The movie was supposed to be a more time appropriate piece, it could've tastefully been done, but y'know how it goes when controversy holds artistic integrity at gun point.

Not wanting to further upset the black community anymore they had to "Disney" it, giving it the typical unoriginal makings of an Disney Princess imitator movie rather than a strong original story. Tiana lacked where other princess were able to be a character first, race second.

The end result was too white for black audiences, and too black for white audiences (that were too busy seeing James Camerons "White Guilt in 3D")

Having Princess in the name of the film was also a big mistake that the studio realized because it attached a stigma that the movie was for little girls, which is why following Disney Princess films ended up being named Tangled, Frozen, Gigantic (RIP)

I'm just curious about what would appeal to them. I don't work with kids but I see them around all the time being almost 30 with friends who aren't virgins and starting families.

>Coco is doing well, Moana did well, Aladdin did well, Lilo & Stitch did well.
Moana is the only one of these that is a princess movie and Polynesians are cuter than Africans

>1920s New Orleans looks very clean and peaceful
>2017 New Orleans is a hellhole
Hmm I wonder what caused that

The situation in New Orleans was quite different from the rest of the US. Due to its strong French tradition, rather unique development and a few other factors, New Orleans was rather famous (or infamous, depending on whom you asked) for the way its black and white population freely interacted even during the deeply racist era.
The movie is not so inaccurate as it may seem.

>(that were too busy seeing James Camerons "White Guilt in 3D")
Oh fuck. You're right.

I remember seeing little kids walking around with Avatar action figures and shit. I don't think Avatar was that great of a film, but you can't deny that it was a technical masterpiece. And it was one of the first major films to do the 3D thing. I imagine PatF got btfo because of it as a factor as well.

>Polynesians
>Cute
They're pretty awful mate

*as inaccurate

Yeah but user didn't say she was a black princess, they just said she was black. And if China liking Coco is an indication of anything, being a brown lead is irrelevant if the script is good enough.

Polynesians also have a more interesting culture.

Disney really needs to do an adaptation of some African folk tales but good luck nowadays. Putting a black character on screen is a racist act in and of itself.

Literally not be in 3D honestly and not white sadly. As much as I don't wanna racebait, the Princess and the Frog wasn't that much relatable to most people. If anything it was more of a related to people of color and especially towards racial backgrounds. People are gonna try and protest it but in reality: White liberals and people who are open minded only want the following things: white liberalism.

Why you think so many black characters written by white people or "uncle tom" people of color get so shit on? It's not the fact that their a person of color, it's the fact that they are so written by the mantra of a political entity it's practically boring.

Tiana wasn't written by it and certianly wasn't voiced by it, if she was rebuffed by her racist society. She would still try to go harder against shit such as that. Everyone else whined and bitched and moaned.

they should have called it FROGGED right?
3 words is just too much for kids these days

>The songs are shit and not memorable or catchy, thanks Randy Newman
>Tiana is a boring as fuck lead with nothing to make her more entertaining
>Naveen is boring as fuck
>They choose not to set most of the story in New Orleans but in a swamp
>The two already bland leads are also frogs for most of the movie
>Not enough Charlotte or Facilier

This all means that there's no big moments like "Let It Go" for people to latch on to.

Fine, I'll bite. New Orleans used to be one of the biggest trade ports in the South, making it very rich. As the importance of river transport declined, so did its income and importance.

Ehhhh Pan is good in spades, sometimes he's great but when you look at his background. He's kinda of a loser, he doesn't wash his private areas. His family is more right wing than he is, He makes fun of the fact that he always is a creep 99% of the time because "lol I'm a stalker weirdo fuck with no life"

Also his comic is shit as well. So yeah he's not the best but honestly you do have a point: He's better than most and a lot of them just aren't good enough or too cringey to handle. MarsReviews however kinda is knocking shit out of the park.

I'm white af and Tiana's my favorite Disney princess because she worked hard to achieve her dreams. I also love to cook gumbo and wish I could make beignets without making my kitchen a fucking mess.

Also Lotte is top tier choice in girl friends.

It's sad how politically/socially charged the movie was. Disney can't make anything nowadays without a loud minority screaming about it being racist, sexist, etc. Man, I remember people were calling Wreck-It-Ralph homophobic because Ralph called King Candy a "nelly wafer".

underrated post.

>implying being right-wing is bad
Found the uneducated American.

No focus on the theme of women empowerment. And no wannabe Broadway pop musical number to enforce that theme.

>I got friends on the other side

>not catchy

Nigger I will cut you

Yeah. "Almost There" was really lackluster. It's a shame really and I say that as a fan of the movie.

>Putting a black character on screen is a racist act in and of itself

Wha....

It doesn't matter what anyone says. Frozen was a good and well-executed film. As for tPatF, it feels like wasted potential. Not bad, but not stand-out, either.

You must be new here. If you put a black character on the big screen as an MC, people are going to be criticizing it left and right. If you don't put that black character as a "good guy" protagonist, you're racist. If your movie doesn't even involve a black character or any POC (for instance, historical pieces) in your movie, you're racist.

EVERYTHING IS RACIST to the loud minority.

It's not for kids, it's to not overly feminize the title of a movie and potentially alienate an adult or male audience because "It's a Princess Movie for Little girls." This is legitimately something the studio realized when the movie bombed in the box offices and decided to go with TANGLED and FROZEN rather than "Rapunzel's Golden Hair", or "The Snow Queen"

Shit's great for marketing too, When you build a strong brand using a single word such as "Frozen" it's insanely accessible because people have to only remember or search one word.

>Frozen was a good and well-executed film

I agree, but the endless shilling Disney gives it is pretty annoying

This
And this

She's not really a princess

Neither were Cinderella and Belle and Snow White which Tiana was supposed to be in the same vein of. It's a rags to royalty princess story, which are fairly common

>Watch how many girls will dress up as her for Halloween after the live action release.
Eh, Halloween costumes are probably a bad indicator for Jasmine since her outfit can serve double shift as nostalgic callback or Halloween slutwear depending on what the wearer wants.
You're still totally right that she's one of the more popular princesses though.

Friends on the other side is fantastic, but it isn't really a song that's that easy to sing along with. It also doesn't contain much that would appeal to little girls.
The other songs are all mediocre at best, especially when you separate them from the visually interesting sequences that the film paired them with.

>implying The Mouse isn’t going to change her outfit for the live action release

it's all about blacks and swamps and Louisiana and all that disgusting shit that nobody likes
it's like the first Rescuers movie, nobody liked that one either

>Friends on the other side isn't easy to sing along with

How? Unless you have autism the lyrics are done slowly and clearly and they're easy as hell to replicate

More like the songs were ALL mediocre or awful bar doc's theme, which still isn't that outstanding.

I doubt the live action outfit will be able to double as slutwear, halloween or in the movie. Even Once's version turned it into a fullbodied dress and avoided belly.

Friends on the Other Side is probably the best Disney villain song after Hell Fire

People bring up CGI and race, but back before Disney buried their 2D theatrical films people were already getting tired of them. The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, and Mulan underperformed at the box office. So, it's such an odd decision to return to that type of storytelling with The Princess and the Frog.

Look at Disney's biggest hits in recent years. Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen are great CGI movies, but they're movies that go against the typical structure of a 90s Disney movie.

Frozen filled the November/Thanksgiving Weekend Disney slot, like other box office failures such as
>The Good Dinosaur (Not Jurassic World)
>The Frog Princess (Dec 11, but Still bad timing.)
>Moana (Did good, Underperformed.)

Coco shares the slot too, but unlike blacks and hawaiians, the target demographic doesn't believe in condoms, outnumbers them, & they actually see movies. Also the Pixar Curse.

But the reason why Disney shills Frozen so hard is because Disney expected it to be a clunker, but little girls who saw it wanted Elsa toys for christmas, and they didn't bother producing any toys for the following Holiday Season, so tons of angry parents called stores and bitched them out, causing stores owners to request Frozen toys from Disney in DROVES.

They got caught with their pants down, and went full force to remedy this shit flooding the market with frozen.

The following movie Big Hero 6 had tons of toys made for it beforehand, but they were shitty and there was no demand after the movie was out, thus didn't sell well at all, but Disney's version of Baymax is a growing Marketable cute character.

I know I'm in the minority here, but Tiana is one of my favorite princesses and is the reason I have a black fetish now. The movie is fine, but I would've liked it more if she wasn't a frog for most of the time and if it had more memorable songs(I really liked "Down in New Orleans," "Almost There," and "Friends on the Other Side" though). The story itself was a bit boring too. Not that I think Frozen does these right or anything, I think it just got ridiculously popular because of Let it Go and supposedly being a feminist movie that subverts Disney princess tropes because that was all I heard about Frozen for months. Elsa and Anna being white was likely a factor too but it definitely didn't protect white princesses like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty who got shat on to praise how "feminist" the movie was.

>Almost There
>Bad
I'll fuck you up, senpai

The Lyrics are pretty bad but the Hhok and music are good

The middle of the movie being talking animal slapstick in some fucking swamp was what killed it, at least for anyone who went to see it. Black lead and not being CGI is why lots of people didn't see it in the first place.

every Disney 90's movie was pretty much the same
so are the recent CGI movies with that fucking surprise villain in every movie

>Frozen was a good and well-executed film.
That is wrong

>Implying all black women are like that and no white women out there do the same thing

Grow up

Croaked

Black women are more notorious for it and go to jail at a higher rate for it in proportion to their population.

Didn't have that one hit song. Princess and the Frog was a better movie than Frozen, but goddamn Let it Go was such a good song.

>Your opinion is factually wrong
>My opinion is factually correct

So... Frozen is like The Lion King , and Big hero six - Pocahontas?

I suppose so, Disney has these waves of riding what works before they fall back into a slump and make something great to ride on again. Their movies are Timeless, even though they are a product of their era.

>Black women are more notorious

shut the fuck up. there are no such thing like "black women" outside the fucking USA racist shithole.

>Disney has these waves of riding what works
When? The animation department has always alternated between flops and modest successes with a rare few hits here and there. That's why the first half of the 90s was so huge for the company, and after that it was another 15 years before the CGI movies started making noteworthy amounts of money.

The story was quite a bit of a mess at one point, she doesn’t stay a pretty princess through the whole movie, there isn’t a pop song that boosts the movies and characters popularity.

Also no sparkly ice powers to make pretty castles and new dresses.

in the 90s it was musicals, then slump because Dreamworks made fun of them, it was somethign new and fresh. Then Disney bought Pixar and we got Pixar-like movies from Disney,now another slump is coming - sequels, starting with WiR2 then Frozen 2.

>Dreamworks made fun of them

Speaking of them,that eventually stopped making them money.

What is their identity now?

>FROGGED
might as well call it BLACKED

Not have a hit song.
Let it go is the entire fucking reason that shit got so popular.

Such a good film the censors let it's blatant breaches of Chinese law pass.

....probably, but it IS a cartoon so...

how can any one person be this retarded?

The only reason, and I mean ONLY reason Frozen got popular, was because it managed to get lucky with a viral hit song. That is it, nobody gave a fuck about the movie before that, especially early on when they were trying to push Olaf.

Kek.

Tiana is too perfect a character. Same reason why Tangled is less popular than Frozen. Frozen wouldn't be anything without Elsa, a beautiful yet damaged character that people want to help. People also loved the sisters dynamic.

Then again the best Disney films do not have a villain song.

>ITT: Literal retards with wrong arguments

>Princess and the frog did bad

No it didn't, Made a 267 million dollar box office so enough to pay itself back, Fresh Rotten Tomatoes the only part about it was that little girls don't want 2D animation anymore since around this Time Toy Story was out and Antz i think.

>She's black
ahhh typical Sup Forums excuse, "ITS NOT DA MOVIE DATS BAD ITS DA [insert political excuses that every idiot politician has blamed some type of Economic down fall for the past 20 years] FAULT, LOL DIDN'T YOU KNOW 5 YEAR OLDS ARE SECRETLY RACIST! XD"
God thanks you guys for this, it almost felt like i was on Sup Forums.

>Songs are shit
"Friends on the Other side" is my favorite Disney song since "Be prepared" Keith David didn't lose his touch or his voice.
but, yeah that is he only good song.

The song on its own is mediocre. It's Bruce Smith's animation that makes the scene the best in the movie.