What do you think of the character of oliver queen in general? the truth...

What do you think of the character of oliver queen in general? the truth, although it goes totally against my political opinions, I love it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cVRiADlDEig
m.youtube.com/watch?v=s3dS3oeqMps
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The writers Dennis O'Neil, Mike Grell and to a lesser extent Kevin Smith and Brad Meltzer are my Green Arrow. Especially Grell, finding Longbow Hunters in my brother's old collection challenged everything I thought I knew about comics.

I never really cared for young idealistic Ollie. He's irritatingly naive and about as subtle as a school bus. The world weary flawed elder statesman Oliver Queen is my jam. His puts up a zealous liberal front but just below the surface he's frustrated with his inadequacy as a hero and reeling from deep seeded shame for his past mistakes. But best of all, he's a petty selfish fuck-up bastard with a heart of gold.

I like Oliver. Sure he can be annoying, smug, be a hypocrite, and I don't always agree with his political stance, but you have to admire him for trying to make a difference. He's a humbled millionaire who realized how much he had wasted his life, and what it means to have nothing. But perhaps the best thing about him (besides his charm) is how committed to helping the little guy. Batman for example, another street level hero, is a big picture kind of guy, while Oliver tries to recognize have a familiarity with those he's helping. Maybe all of this is why I hate ARROW, which is just a Batman recolor. Love this short though
youtube.com/watch?v=cVRiADlDEig

Oliver actually puts his money where his mouth is. I respect him a lot for that.

I'm too autistic to like non superpowered using stupidly primitive fighting methods.

You do you.

I think we forgive the impracticality of his gimmick mostly from the trick arrows. Which speaking of, how does he know which one's to pull from his quiver? How many of each trick arrow does he carry? I kind of like the movie Hawkeye explanation where he just selects arrowheads to attach with buttons on his bow.

You mean like throwing bat-shaped boomerangs?

I'm okay with archery being a part of the character. Just not why he has to be 'non superpowered' (which means peak human for DC).

Also I'd like a melee weapon, instead of just hitting people with his bow.

Yeah him too.

Hawk eye and Black Widow issue is that they bring down the Avengers foes to their level, meaning most of the problems could just be solved by the army really. Black Widow more so. They really should have done something cool with the widow sting stuff. Instead of just tasering Black Panther.

He had a sword for a hot minute but no one cared.

Good for you, man. It says a lot about your character that you’re able to look at Oliver’s politics as just that, and let the story stand on its own.

I only know him for his appearance in TDKR, he seemed interesting. Seems like a cool character in that one.
What is the deal about his politics? I'm honestly curious.

He's a hardcore liberal, but don't let that turn you off. Its not the same SJW shit we see today, and it plays into his Robin Hood thing.

in the 40s up to about the late 60s green arrow was a generic carbon copy of batman but with arrows

Writer/artist duo decided to inject GA with some personality by modeling him off of their view of the leftist demographic at the time, and changing his look to be more hip/wild

this model stuck for a while

Mike Grell made the character a little more center-oriented imo while making the stories grittier and realistic (imo in a good way. read the longbow hunters plus 1-80 of 80s green arrow - his run is fantastic)

they killed ollie off in zero hour and brought in connor hawke, his son, who was like a zen buddhist version of green arrow thrown into the modern world

then in 2001 kevin smith was hired to bring GA back and he brought back the politics somewhat while also focusing on how much of a fuck-up ollie is.

so ollie's permanent character traits essentially end up being
a.) a political extreme to counteract the big name superheroics. He was reinvented to kind of be the hero on the streets who helped the little guy
b.) he's a fuck-up with a misfit family that he inevitably fails to truly keep together (because character progression barely exists in cape books)

Politically he's a bleeding heart liberal. One of my favorite examples is one issue in Mike Grell's run where a drunken captain of an oil rig ran aground in Alaska & fucked up the environment. The corrupt board members stashed the captain away while they attempted damage control for their business. Angry at these corporations who callously destroy nature, Oliver hunts the captain & brings him to justice.
Oliver is at his best when he's dealing with street level gangsters, and also when examining the causes of why they turn to crime, such as poverty & inequality.

I think the reason his politics work, is that he is authentic. Most other heroes are just blandly apolitical or moderate undefined leftist.

On the subject of Superpowers. What superpower would you give him, that isn't super accuracy or peak human.

Chili Manipulation

I fucking hate that you americans use the word liberal for leftists. I get you tho.
Unsurprisingly the post who didn't have that word was the more informative.
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Speaking of political superheroes, I'm trying to imagine a world where Superman is raised in modern day Kansas & I don't think that would lead to a good hero. Would the average rural Kansas upbringing really make him view everyone as someone worth saving?

The powers of incredible hindsight Hey man, I only pointed out how the term liberal is vastly different than what it meant 10 years ago. No need to get offended.

Everything about Ollie is looking out for the little man. He really does exemplify the Robin Hood nature he has taken on. In a way it's probably best he doesn't have a super conservative villain with a name and just deals with corrupt businessmen and criminals. Anybody who is making life hard for people is his target.

But I do like his rare interactions with Luthor.

Didn't mean to sound offended, sorry for that.

Would a Oliver-esque rebel conservative hero work in this Leftist Establishment Age?

Well originally Superman was actually heavily leftist. He would beat up slumlords and crooked factory bosses.

But then wartime propaganda and the magic of capitalism sanding the edges off, so he doesn't offend anybody. So now he is blandly apolitical.

As for Kansas, I don't know. But being a real native son of there, means he stays there instead of moving to the big city. Which would impact his supporting cast and rogues gallery.

Maybe instead of being a journalist, he is targeting them to 'expose them'.

>Nah, Lantern. I don’t just hook up with women on Tinder. I prefer to get to know them first

I can dig it

Maybe not as a Robin Hood type but maybe a Frontier type hero.

He wasn't originally from Kansas either. I hate the big dumb hick they've turned Superman into.

I think like that and I'm a hardcore leftist. Tinder just objetifies human relationships and I'm too tired and not an english native speaker to really express my point.
The thing is: Tinder a capitalist shit.

This. I miss this Oliver. Although, I did warm to a younger Ollie while Lemire was on his N52 book. Wish his run had been longer.

Ah yeah the leftist establishment of
A republican President
A Republican Congress
A Republican Senate
A Republican majority of governers
A Republican majority of state level seats.

How does a conservative rebel work? Like he rebels against leftists?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=s3dS3oeqMps

So what are people's opinions on his Rebirth run? Personally I love the artwork.

The artwork was a selling point but Percy just doesn't have the writing chops to keep me invested.

Only read the first 3 trades so far, but one thing that really bugged me is him saying that Emi is a better archer than he is because she leads the target, accounts for wind, basic marksmanship principles. Ollie apparently just draws & shoots, which is mind boggling that a guy whose schtick is archery doesn't make an effort to be as accurate as possible.

Great art, horrible writing.
What a waste of two of DC's best artists.

>Would the average rural Kansas upbringing really make him view everyone as someone worth saving?

Average maybe not, but arent his parents are portrayed to be the amazing kind of parents who inspire and love their kid, encourages them to only see the good in the world? couple that with him living on a farm he isn't going to have that much interaction with other people and when he did it probably was in a smaller town. I could see Superman ending up a superhero.

The thing you have to realize is as much as you're often times a product of your environment around you you're just as much a product of the people you're the closest too and if superman had good people raising him than he'll probably end up kindhearted.

I never thought in a million years Green Arrow and Harley Quinn would have great chemistry, but the Injustice comic made think otherwise. Maybe its because he's dry while she's wacky, I don't know. If they wanted a reformed Harley in main books, they should have made her sidekick Ollie.
I think its alright. Nothing amazing, but enough to keep me interested

Are you referring to Juan Ferreyra? Because I discovered him through Green Arrow and I absolutely love his artwork. (also up for a general discussion of Colder if it's not too off topic and anybody actually read it)

>made her sidekick Ollie.

Being in the Arrow family is suffering though.

>dinah/tortured and raped
>roy/dismembered and lost his daughter
>connor/near fatally shot twice and amnesia
>emiko/two dead dads

You forgot the heroin addiction. But is Harley really a stranger to bad luck?

the guy who actually has published novels and teaches creative writing doesn't have the 'writing chops' that other comic writers have

okay

Novel and Comic writing are two very different animals.

Have you read any of his books?

Percy returned Canary&Ollie thing. I love him for that.

I like anything with classic cheeseball blustery loudmouth libtard Ollie. Never liked Longbow Hunters or other stories that lean dark and gritty with him.

Quiver is my favorite GA book because it's a refutation that he ever needs to be that guy, I like the idea of an older, wiser hero who goes "Yeah, I had a dark age, I'm not denying it happened...but I regret it and I'm trying to be better than that."

good run

Harley keeps getting minis where she has crossovers with other characters, like Power Girl. One of these stories should be a Harley and Green Arrow teamup. Also, The Quiver should become the official name of Green Arrow's headquarters.

Getting offended by Green Arrow's liberalism is the ultimate test to detect a nonreader outragefag

There are good people in Kansas man.

The only thing harley is good enough for in relation to GA is as a fuckslut for threesomes with Canary

This was such a great moment.

>An issue where Ollie is forced to use a quiver stocked with Harley's specially designed trick arrows

user please stop parroting that one twitter post and pretending like you're having an original idea.

Oy vey, DC characters are supposed to be perfect and looked up to, and live happily with their families

>Gabby Rivera and Brad Meltzer who have written novels don't have the chops to write comics
Is it Sup Forums who is wrong?

I'm beginning to think it's an editorial mandate over at Marvel that healthy relationships aren't allowed

It's an editorial mandate at marvel that good writing isn't allowed.

It's fucking criminal that they didn't anything more with those shorts, even the mediocre ones were good.

Well that's true but you have to consider the fact that the main character of the new Star Wars movies is a woman, which clearly shows that society today is ruled by an extreme leftist establishment

Novels =/= comics

fav DC hero. Love that he's so hot headed, it makes a very interesting relationship with Black Canary. They get mad at each other, yell and then have hot make up sex

this

it's sexy

Do you think Ollie is hung or is he a dicklet? Seems to me guys with Van Dykes are often dicklets.

>(winkStarkwink)

with the amount of sex they have she's got to be getting something out of it.

Eh, he can just be good at it. He seems more like that type to me anyway. Like, I can believe Clark is hung, Bruce has an 11" because he's the ulltimate power fantasy (more or less), Cap has a Super-Soldier (Steroid) Cock and Thor has a Godly Dick, but folks like Stark, Ollie, Strange, Spector, whatever, those should be in the 5"-7" range since they're supposed to be "normal" people.

This is the faggiest post I've seen on Sup Forums in a while

>he doesn't remember the constant Dicklet Stark threads
There've been faggiest threads.

So Emiko or Roy?

emiko like a sidekick, roy as a character

>leftist establishment
>DUP/Tory alliance in Britain
>Trump god-emperor of flabland
>Rise of neo-fascism in Europe

Yeah, sure, whatever feeds your persecution complex, Sup Forums.

A laugh

this