What are actually the good series from New 52 and whats actually necessary for whats going on since Rebirth?

What are actually the good series from New 52 and whats actually necessary for whats going on since Rebirth?

> All Aquaman material from the era (even the arc with siren raping him was acceptable)
> DcYou Martian Manhunter series.
> Wonder Woman up to the Finch run (finch run is Ok if you have no attachment to Donna Troy)
> Justice League Cheetah mini arc onward.
> Snyder's Batman

I personally like the 1st 2 arcs of The Savage Hawkman.

- Gotham Academy
- Green Lantern
- All-Star Western

Aquaman, Batman, Dial H, Animal Man, Batman and Robin, Demon Knights, Vibe, Wonder Woman, Swamp Thing, and Frankenstein were all great.

Of the ones i was curious about but aren't brought up often here were:

Static Shock
Resurrection Man
Superboy
Grifter

Also Justice League directly leads into rebirth yeah?

and Firestorm

All 3 GLs?

Finch run is straight trash regardless of how you feel about the characters, as is SnyderBat

Can't speak for the rest of those, but I read new 52 static shock and it was underwhelming. Nowhere near as good as the older runs.

I mean I mostly stuck with Green Lantern, but Corps was fine and New Guardians had its moments though overall I didn't really enjoy the book.

Winnick's Catwoman is good, and not just for the art.

I liked Larfleeze's solo, as well as Prez. WW definitely got a good deal out of it as well as Aquaman

Siren did what

New 52>Rebirth

the later New 52 got weak but they had a super strong start that blows Rebirth out of the water.

New 52 truly had a lot of gems. Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Phantom Stranger, JL3K, Threshold, Larfleeze, Frankenstein, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Dial H, really there was a bevvy of good stuff.
>Superboy
Kuder's wrap-up arc is aight, nothing phenomenal, because it was mostly just tidying up the disaster that came before.

>Resurrection Man
It was pretty good, Mitch is a neat character and it's always nice to see D listers get some love. Nothing phenomenal but a fun read if you want to know more about the character

Snyder Batman was good up until the ending of Court Of Owls, it was at that moment that Scott pitted himself as a shit writer and cemented the fact with the following Death of the Family arc. Thanks to Snyder I dropped all Bat related titles during the New 52.

Larfleeze was a sleeper hit or New 52, I wouldn’t have guessed that that comic would have been as good as it turned out to be. And Wonder Woman was amazing, too bad about Finch tho

objectively right.

I liked a lot of the nu52 at the start, but i understand how it faltered.

however I can't stand Rebirth. the watchmen stuff feels needless and scummy. lots of the retconning makes things overly complicated and I feel that the DC universe is more of a mess than it ever was before. I don't get why a lot of it has an appeal.

Regardless once doomsday clock and metal ends I look forward to what DC will do next.

All Star Western
Animal Man
Batfamily - Arkham Manor
Batfamily - Batwoman #26+
Captain Marvel - The Curse of Shazam
Green Arrow #17+
Justice League #24+ (& Forever Evil)
Klarion
Superman #32-40
Swamp Thing
The Flash
The Multiversity
Wonder Woman

>Post 52 / Pre Rebirth
Batfamily - Robin Son of Batman
Martian Manhunter
Midnighter
Omega Men
Starfire
Superman Lois & Clark

Lemire Green Arrow
Azz Wonder Woman
Manabooch Flash
Blackman/JHWIII Batwoman
I, Vampire
Dial H
Demon Knights
Aquaman minus Bunn's run
Valentine Catwoman
Larfleeze
Soule Red Lanterns
Sinestro
Gotham Academy up until Yearbook

>(even the arc with siren raping him was acceptable)
No

>(finch run is Ok if you have no attachment to Donna Troy)
No

>Justice League Cheetah mini arc onward.
No

>Snyder's Batman
Not after CoO, no

Higgin's Deathstroke was ok
All Star Western
Swamp Thing
Animal Man
Justice League 3000/3001
Grayson

Then DCYou shit that was okay to good was Prez, Midnighter, Starfire, Omega Men.
Pretty much all the main franchise's books were trash during DCYou, especially Wonder Woman (Finch's run) and Flash (Venditti/Jansen/Booth)

Ignore these people. Read Snyder's Batman and decide for yourself.
If you only like silly campy Joker it may not be for you but if you like Joker presented in a genuine horror oriented slasher type of manner it will be spot on.
His handling on Endgame was everything I ever wanted for the character, just wish they didn't pussy out on the reveal.

>he likes Joker ranting on for pages at a time and Batman being dumb enough to straight up tell Joker his identity

I don't remember him ranting at all and he didn't tell him his identity, Joker was already there and left the card. Bruce went and confronted him at Arkham about it to see if this was going to be a game changer.

The n52 series of resurrection man was shit. go for the previous series, which sadly has only been collected in one volume in print so its unfinished. can still find the files online though

One of Snyder's writing tics is having one or two characters talk on and on for a few pages and explain what happened or explain their motive. It typically happens in the last couple issues. James Jr did it in Black Mirror, Thomas Jr did it in CoO, Bruce did it at the end of CoO with Dick, Joker did it in DOTF, etc.

Am I really the only one who didn't like snyders batman?
I dropped it after the court of owls arc.

>Also Justice League directly leads into rebirth yeah
Shame those last 9 issues were so fucking terrible.

Although the funny thing is I hated the batman run but I fucking love metal.

It's shit. Snyder is a hack.

Are you guys only talking about Batman or are you including Detective/Batman and Robin/Eternal/ etc?

Good ones include
>Aquaman
>Animal Man
>Swamp Thing

Tomasi Batman and Robin is good when Damian is alive imo. The five stages of grief and the mission to bring him back to life was meh.

Batman Eternal is okay, just heavily decompressed with a couple bad storylines.
Batman and RObin Eternal is bad

I remember nothing of Tec

>whats actually necessary for whats going on since Rebirth
Literally nothing. That's not how comics work.

Hell what was the worst n52?

I personally held Super Girl up there with my most hated. Cemented it there with what happened to Maxima.

I'm gonna catch up on some New52. Which ones should I specifically avoid?

I know RHATO is trash.

Hawk & Dove and The Ravagers were god awful

All-Star Western > Rebirth

Waifufags in a nutshell

Supergirl is one of the better books despite having so many crossovers and writer changes

RHATO
Lobdell's Teen Titans
Lobdell Superman
Hawk and Dove
Liefeld Deathstroke
Ravagers
Venditti/Booth Flash
Finch Wonder Woman
Earth 2 after Robinson left, especially Wilson's relaunch
World's End
Future's End
Andreyko Batwoman
Nocenti Catwoman
Stormwatch (except for the very last issue lol)

Birds of Prey after the first arc
Simone Batgirl
Snyder Batman's Joker arcs
Higgins Nightwing (I'll give him sympathy since it kept getting ruined by crossovers)

GRIFTER

RHatO was my guilty pleasure, I know it’s a shit comic and I would never recommend it to anyone, but goddamn if I didn’t enjoy it.

>Stormwatch
Explain.

What went wrong? I was under the understanding that new 52 was entirely great. I don't read them myself to know for sure, but I acknowledged that with other people. Am I wrong?

I myself have just caught up to new 52 but all this time ive heard people say how Rebirth brought DC back after New 52

No one thinks the New 52 was great as a whole.

>I was under the understanding that new 52 was entirely great
I seriously have no idea how you came under that impression. People have been bitching about it since it was announced and most comics fans, especially DC fans considered it a clusterfuck, both when it was happening and long after in retrospect.

The only people who seemed to like it were casuals excited about a jumping on point, and even they only cared about the new volumes of JL, Batman, Superman, Flash, and the other big hitters. Plus there were absolute mountains of trash like Hawk & Dove, Blue Beetle, Teen Titans, Catwoman, Firestorm, all the WildStorm titles, Hawkman, just tons of shit that nobody cared about

Well shit. I guess I need to visit more DC threads..

>and even they only cared about...
False, I used it as a jumping point and read several of the non big hitters.
And there was nothing trashy about the first run on Catwoman or the 1st 2 arcs of Hawkman.

>jumping point
ON point I meant to say.

He probably never read any of the wildstorm stuff.

It was bad? Unless you like chinspike Midnighter and Apollo whining.

Action Comics. Fight me.

No one knew what was going on and what was canon and wasn't, so everything ended up as a clusterfuck.
>Lobdell wrote Teen Titans and RHATO, but in one book, it said previous Titans didn't exist or didn't call themselves Titans, but in the other book it said that the previous Titans DID exist. So there you have higher ups not being on the same page and them having to edit the trade later.

Then you have all the pissed off writers leaving because editors micromanaged.
Robinson was planning a meeting of Earth 2 and the main earth with Didio and Johns. I think an editor wanted an Earth 2 Batman book, while Robinson wanted Batman to be a b-tier hero on that earth. But either way he was just going through a bad time, said fuck it, and took his notes and left.
Higgins wanted to write a crossover between Nightwing and Deathstroke along with a few other things, but editorial told him no, despite him writing both of those books. They took him off Deathstroke after 8 issues and put 90s lackey Liefeld on.
Higgins and the rest of the Batbooks writers just got bombarded with crossovers that nobody wanted. Snyder especially didn't want that Zero Year gimmick month.
Batbooks were forced to keep a darker tone by Marts. Doyle came on and diversified.
Simone especially complained about darker tones in the form of "creative differences" and left Batgirl. Simone was also taken off of Batgirl then put back on after a couple days of fan complaints.
Batwoman wasn't allowed to get married (but was allowed to get engaged??)

Perez and Superman, Static Shock in general. SM/WW., etc

Most of the people who hate the new 52 didn't read past the first year because of exaggerated "not muh" bullshit.
Best examples of these is Starfire was cause of the biggest uproar because the opening issue of Red Hood & the outlaws made her seem emotionally cold in relation to her promiscuous & that she just seemed like walking firepower + sex or the male characters of the book but if they bothered to stick with the book they would have noted that such was completely dropped after the first arc. She gets to be a badass space comandress & we get a super sympathetic Blackfire for her to interact with soon after.

Another example is Superman, people keep claiming the new 52 made him dark/edgy, nothing not a single thing about him was edgy until his depowered arc which was at the very end of the new 52.
The opening Morrison arc had him youthful and rough but still far from edgy and it was CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, that arc was a flashback to his first year as Superman, Morrison wanted to show him developing into the Superman we know.
Fans have no tolerance these days for back story and characters developing over time, they want the iconic take now and if you don't your a hack who doesn't understand the character and should be fired.

>chinspike Midnighter
A minor design alteration doesn't make a book/story bad.

Then there was the daemonites story they were trying to build up to but ultimately dropped.

And Booster Gold freaking out about Superman and Wonder Woman being dropped when it was clear fans and most writers hated it. Wouldn't be surprised if it were dropped because Robinson left due to the storyline of E2 Wonder Woman having baby daddy issues.

Lemire's Animal Man was on par with Morrison's, I genuinely choke up every time I read through the whole thing. Shame DC seemingly stuck Buddy back in the attic after JLU. Eternal suffering.

What was good about new 52 Stormwatch?

You realize basically everyone agrees that's good, right

Also, like with current Marvel, most people just read out-of-context panels posted on forums or shitty articles and projected that everything from DC was currently like that.

No dude, current Marvel really is that fucking bad.
Captain America is my top 1/2 favorite comic character (equal with thor) and I could not fucking read that Hydra atrocity, I tried. The open utter disdain the new sjw writers are showing towards the classic characters is just so god damn sadistic & prevalent everywhere and I say that as someone who feels the Fem Thor stuff isn't half as bad as people say.

now these are what I call shilling

new 52 and current marvel is crap

I really don't know how you can say that about the Cap run unless you only read the event without any of the Cap title itself, considering the whole thing was a love letter to GruCap.

Best:
Animal Man
Wonder Woman (Azz)

Swamp Thing
Dial H
Superman (Geoff thru all of most of Truth)
Aquaman
Batman (CoO & Eternal was fun)
Justice League (cheetah/war atlantis onwards)
Justice League 3000
Grayson
Worst:
Venditti Godhead (jesus)
Ravagers
Deathstroke (tony daniel)
Teen Titans
Justice League 3001
Batman (DotF, Superheavy, Robin War)
Earth 2: Worlds End

This is me replying to my own post to warn you all

DO NOT READ VENDITTI'S GODHEAD

>new 52 and current marvel is crap
They have virtually nothing in common.

Current Marvel has 2-3 decent books max.
New 52 had at worst a 3rd of its books being decent at any one time and most of the time it was 70/30 good/bad.

I liked Batwing

>70/30 good/bad
lmaooooo
more like 70/30 bad/good

>now these are what I call shilling
Show me one fucking time that Superman himself was "edgy" in the New 52 before the depowered arc.

doomed was annoyingly edgy, like a teenage boy

She dressed up as Mera and then had sex with Arthur, then later people went "OOOOH SHE RAPED HIM!!"

also you're shilling because you're downplaying all the shit new 52 did
superman was bad beyond being edgy because editors wouldn't even back up perez and tell him what the fuck was going on

I never got to the event, it was the 2 cap titles themselves that turned me off, Sam because of the Trump supporter demonization + turning Diamondback into a stripper in order to compare cheesecake fans to people who use prostitutes and Steve because...
I was 100% fine with Cap being turned bad for a temporary arc. But that retconing history so that he was always a hydra spy even without Kobik's help was fucking evil and spit on everything about the character ever.

People talk shit about the Iced arc with it supposedly being revealed that the goverment found cap but left him in the ice because they feared his reaction to the use of the atom bombs, this was a hundred times worse then that.

>Deathstroke (tony daniel)
Oh fuck off, the god killer arc was great & the others decent.

>DO NOT READ VENDITTI'S GODHEAD
Nah, it's worth it for the art & Sinestro seducing Bekka scenes alone.

the villains month comics were good other recommendations would be sinestro, green lantern, the flash, batman, and justice league,

Yeah Odysseus sure was an interesting character in a great arc.

It was tragic toned not edgy, Ultimatum & Nemesis are edgy.
And regardless Superman's characterization/personality wasn't edgy which is what I am talking about.

Do you think being edgy is the only thing that makes a story bad or something?

>the villains month comics were good
Seconded.
Also the Crime Snydicate origin stories in the Forever Evil tie in issues of Justice League were really good.

No I am just refuting the idea that Superman was notably out of character in the new 52.

Okay but New 52 and Superman were largely bad for more reasons than Superman's alleged edginess.

Action Comics
Swamp Thing
The Phantom Stranger
The Flash
All-Star Western
Aquaman
Demon Knights
The SHAZAM! features on Justice League

Dial H, nigga

Risking Lois's life to keep his identity secret isn't edgy

was new 52 animal man any good?

Martian manhunter was not good. It turned him a new 52 donna troy clone. Raised by martians to be a weapon and have his memory erased. So original.

Execution is always more important than concept, dumbass.

>The opening Morrison arc had him youthful and rough but still far from edgy and it was CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, that arc was a flashback to his first year as Superman, Morrison wanted to show him developing into the Superman we know.
I like how you cherry pick your references. People loved Morrisons Superman because it felt like him. Every thing else with superman was edgy bullshit.

Didn't read it. But why is it that bad?

All-Star Western.
Azz' Wonder Woman (inb4 butthurt purists)
OMAC.
Everything else as far as I can remember was shit.

Demon Knights
All-Star Western
GL
Red Lanterns after a while
I, Vampire

>Animal Man
>Swamp Thing
>Dial H
Knew I'd forget something. I guess you
Batinc was also good.
>Eternal
More like "Boring". CoO is the most overrated Batman story in years.

Everything Keith Giffen did
>JL 3k/3.1k
>Threshold
>Larfleeze

>*I guess you could say Batinc was also good.
>Demon Knights
Shit, I remember people recommending me this alot and never actually reading it past the first arc. Does it keep being the same quality?

some of the villains month issues were good like the ones you mentioned but there was also some grade A stinkers like the Lobo issue.

Really didn't help that they put classic lobo on the cover then had it all about Nubo and the writer/artist got offended when everyone shat on it

the quality does kinda dip right there towards the end but it was more of them trying to wrap it up with the incoming cancellation than anything else.

Kinda ashame they never got to really expand on Lucifer getting Eclipsos black diamond onto Earth through the Knights or Cain the first vampire shenanigans that popped up in in JLD, I,Vampire, and later Demon Knights

Larfleeze could have been a force to reckon with or a joke character. Glad they fucked up the second option so badly that there is hope for DC making him he the orange badass he deserves to be. As a background character or plot device of course, doenst work as a main. Same as deadpool.