RIP Jim Baikie (1940-2017) - Skizz storytime

A few days ago, scottish artist Jim Baikie passed away. Mostly known for his work in the Alan Moore-written Skizz for 2000AD, he also drew several Judge Dredd stories and superhero series New Statesmen for Crisis, among others.
In memoriam, I'm gonna storytime the first book of Skizz, AKA "What if Alan Moore wrote ET and set it in Birmingham?". A classic story from the first golden age of the Galaxy's Greatest Comic.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YOe8BHDxv2g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Originally published in progs 308-330, in 1983, Skizz is a mix of ET and Moore's first jab at a sci-fi story with a female protagonist. Baikie was a natural choice for the strip, having worked in UK girls' comics for years before 2000AD.

Moore's interest in a female-driven story would eventually lead to another classic from this era: The Ballad of Halo Jones.

GTFO

BAH GAWD! THAT MAN HAS A FAMILY!

And this is Cornelius.
He's got his pride.
I'm not saying he's one of Moore's best characters, but you'll find out soon enough.

HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS!

Realk talk: The end of this chapter is one of my favorite moments of classic 2000AD. It's the stuff comics are made of. And it's 100% down to Baikie's art.

A quick note on color: for the first nearly 15 years of its existence, 2000AD was a black and white magazine, with color reserved only for the cover and the center two-page spread. This spread was usually given to whatever strip was the most popular at the time. In the early 80s, that usually meant Judge Dredd. But, well...

Sometimes they made exceptions.
youtube.com/watch?v=YOe8BHDxv2g

And now, the tear-jerking conclusion of Skizz!

>And some of them... some of them are stars.
RIP and thanks for all the art.
And here's to you, Sup Forums. Here's hoping for a better 2018, for all of you. Cheers and thank you.

Gah, tears in my eyes at the end...

I'd completely forgotten about this story. Bringing back fond memories Judge user. Thanks very much, and happy New Year.

Glad to hear, user. Happy New Year!