Any actually good arcs or portions of the sonic comic?

Depends on your definition of "good".
It's cute I suppose but I honest to God do not remember a damn thing after nu-252. Stopped reading shortly after.
Anything before that is debatable. People say that 161-onward is golden though I honestly don't like Flynn while anything before that is extremely debatable. Penders and Bollers' work from like, #25-161 can range from decent at best to laughably bad.
But that's just my opinion. You'd be better off asking someone who is familiar with these comics as well as other comics. Sonicfags circlejerk the hell out of it I've noticed so I wouldn't trust them.

Wait, shit, I'm retarded. Sonic Genesis is actually pretty good.
Mega Drive wasn't bad either even though it felt like meme fodder at times oh and it's never ever going to be finished

>Penders and Bollers' work from like, #25-161
But Bollers wasn't even writing during the 25-50 period, and nobody likes any of Ken's work.

1-40 is a pretty good kids' book with occasional shit issues (almost all Penders, fancy that). It's like a more refined Captain Carrot. Definitely the highlight of the whole run for me.

The first 50 issues are pretty entertaining if only for the novelty. A lot of Archie Sonic was. It is admittedly neat to see a chronology and history build up from a very simple narrative, even if a lot of it is garbage.

For the next 100 or so issues after Endgame, it gets a bit weird and quality goes up and down.

When Flynn took over the writing, the series gets to be more consistent, though people have differing opinions about its quality. Personally, I liked it.

Sonic Universe is consistently good, however, and built upon the best parts of Archie Sonic; things beyond Sonic himself. Most of the side comics after Flynn took over tended to be, like Mega Drive and Genesis.

>The first 50
I don't get this, the 40s are absolute trash. I understand the rest, but why the hell do people include Endgame? It was awful.

Sonic pulls sand out of his shoe and tosses it out at just the right angle to give him enough speed for a running start that saves himself from a fall.

That shit is so stupid that it's amazing.

I would never say that the first 50 issues are anything more than entertaining.

Only when Evan Stanley was involved, that's when shit was good honestly.

It's a single clever bit of whimsy in a four part arc that's mostly plagiarizing The Fugitive and terrible melodrama.

I'd say several DeCesare strips are outright good kids comics. Just great little examples of how to craft quality slapstick and lighthearted adventure stories. Almost all of them have the silly spectacle you're referring to, but Endgame (and a few other stories) is an absolute mess in basic construction and consistency.

Because #50 is as good a stopping point as any. You've seen the comic go from dumb comedy to dumb melodrama, and now the main conflict is over since Robotnik is dead. At this point, you can either step off now and not feel like anything's missing, or you can keep going and watch just how much bigger a train-wreck it can get.

I agree with you that the story is shit and a mess in the long run.

But it's still entertaining.

It gives a more definitive endpoint, instead of just ending at a weird buildup. And really, it's worth it to see a shade of what the comics are about to become. It's not worth it on its own, but I think it works better as a place to break.

Why is "the villain is dead but we're ending on a cliffhanger with his nephew plotting new schemes and other such loose ends" more of a concrete ending than "Robotnik's greatest plot yet has been foiled and everything is finally back to normal?" They're the same thing, one is just more overblown.

Although I can definitely see the merit in
>it's worth it to see a shade of what the comics are about to become
even though I'd argue shit like the weird King-Acorn-In-A-Giant-Suit-Of-Armor issue is already a pretty good indication.

And I'd get this if there wasn't so much more shocking and hilarious trash out there, but...it's really just sort of boring. Even in its own series the G'Knuckles Saga is far more entertaining just for how retarded it is. It's just too blase for me to see the value.

you know the one~

I unironically believe the arc where Mighty searches for her sister is kino

Rouge was too OoC in that arc for my taste.
>"I'm going to let an entire world die for a stone."
I mean, yeah, she likes jewels, but not to that extent.

Yes and its called Fleetway

think she was more in the mission mindset, ass an anti-hero she wouldnt really put thought into the consequence of her taking a jewel, thats why she fucks with the master emerald and chaos emeralds whenever she can

>>"I'm going to let an entire world die for a stone."
No but she is prepared to let a world die for her country! What about you user? What are you prepared to do for your country?

Archie really had her more evil when she started off, it took a long while for her to gain her full characterization. That and Blaze's mission was always a bit abstract.

>Why is "the villain is dead but we're ending on a cliffhanger with his nephew plotting new schemes and other such loose ends" more of a concrete ending than "Robotnik's greatest plot yet has been foiled and everything is finally back to normal?"
Depends on how invested in Snively and the comic you are. If you're not, then you can quit the comic under the belief that Snively will fail to be any kind of threat as always (and he usually is without his uncle to hide behind).