The Onceler shows his face

>the Onceler shows his face
>the Lorax is pretty much Danny Devito's character from It's Always Sunny
>the boy only wants to plant new trees so he can fuck the town Manic Pixie Dream Girl
Is there a more unfaithful adaptation than this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/BpgUQYARIsw
youtube.com/watch?v=7Rtup766taE
youtube.com/watch?v=08EDjCOsy_o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>They cut the good songs

youtu.be/BpgUQYARIsw

Ahem?

always thought this was interesting
youtube.com/watch?v=7Rtup766taE

I actually loved that movie as it's own but not as an adaptation.
And it even improves some things from the 2D movie and the book but still, the book and the 2D movie are both still better than this movie.
It's really underrated.
I really loved this since it first came out and the memes helped rekindle my love for this movie.
Even if I always loved it.

Watch it on it's own merits and not as a direct adaptation.

This.

>ACTION! SPLOSIONS! UNNECESSARY CGI WEIRDNESS! SPLOSIONS! BAZOOKA! MORE SPLOSIONS! TYPICAL HOLLYWOOD DRIVEL DIALOGUE ABOUT SELF-EMPOWERMENT! SPLOSIONS! CHANGING THE VILLAIN FOR NO REASON! SPLOSIONS! OH SHIT A CRANE FIGHT! SPLOSIONS!
This was like a kid with ADHD read Tintin and decided it needed to be more like Michael Bay movies.

HBCIB was probably picked over Biggering because it's more "kooky" and fun and except for the ending tricked the audience into not thinking of him as a threatening, or even bad person. Biggering from start to finish is just about how much of an ass he's become

>not having Biggering being the reprise

That's how I felt about The Polar Express movie.

Same, to a degree. I like the more digestible method of exoressing the sentiment. The original book is cold and unforgiving. Not inspiring--just miserable.

The movie provides it with what it desperately needs: hope.

It also gives backstory as to how the town came to be. Sure, a lot of the main plot stuff wasn't great, but I liked that we don't only see it as a wasteland. It shows us how a normal person with a bit of a chip on their shoulder can sell their soul for money, how a person can delve into doing horrible things because they're too self-absorbed. It forces people to think about how they behave and to consider the long-term effects of their actions.

Plus, I really like 2 of the songs.

I think giving the story a happier ending was actually the biggest problem with it imho. The book and short had a purpose behind being so cold and unforgiving - to show that actions have consequences and, sometimes, those consequences can be irreversible. The narrative lacks any sort of punch if you deliver an unambiguous happy ending.

You're not wrong. I just operate better when I get to see both possibilities. I guess I like to have both the book and the movie. I've always been a tree-hugger, so the book made me feel crappy as a kid--no one listens to kids about this stuff.

I think the movie would be better if it showed that it took a lot of effort to fix things. The happy ending is good because it gives hope, but it also makes things look too easy. (And if it's that easy, then someone else will take care of it, right?)

The Once-Ler's actions did have dire consequences, as the world becoming a wasteland was his fault because of chopping the trees.
And there was a time-skip before O'Hare founded Thneedville, while Ted's actions were to basically restore hope after something that seemed incredibly hopeless.

I loved the more optimistic tone of the 3D movie but the book and the 2D movie are still better, even if they're not as hopeful.

Again, I judge the 3D movie as being something different.

I loved it.
Still waiting for the sequel.

>sequel.
I hope you get mild food poisoning from whatever it is tripfags eat.

Why did this character have so many fangirls?

I still think giving the Once-Ler a face was a good idea, so long as it's clear that the kid is imagining it. They fucked it up at the end by making ti clear that that's his actual face.

I just rewatched the 2D film alongside the 3D film and re-read the book.
I actually now love the 3D movie better than the 2D film when I compare them on their own merits.
However, the 2D film works as a better adaptation than the 3D film.

>I actually now love the 3D movie better than the 2D film
Why?

youtube.com/watch?v=08EDjCOsy_o

This doesn't explain anything.

Still pisses me off. In the actual movie the Onceler is just some faggy kid who almost immediately regrets cutting the trees.

still closer than what Tim Allen wanted to do with it

What? Fangirls? Of the shitty hipster douchebag version of the Once-ler? The one that damn near misses the entire point of the character? That fucking guy has fans?

Would you plant a tree for her?

Should have never left Sup Forums.

Yeah, I would in a heartbeat.

They got rid of the original bittersweet ending just so there can be a stupid happy ending. Fuck that, sometimes a movie needs that bittersweet feeling

>the Onceler wastes his entire adulthood miserable and abandoned by everyone including his family

That was pretty bittersweet imo. Sure he got a nice ending after 60+ years but he's already close to kicking the bucket by then. Dude definitely paid for his actions and then some

>Make his descent more gradual
>Have both songs in the movie
The best course of action.

I would have honestly preferred this.

Right around the time the film was released, the Once-ler gained an avid following on tumblr, similar to what you would find today.

The problem however was that tumblr couldn’t figure out who to ship this guy with. The main character was out of the question because that would be pedophilia. The Lorax is centuries old and basically just Danny Devito. And they couldn’t even ship him with the MC’s mom or granny because that would mean the Once-ler was straight, and god forbid anything goes against my head cannon.

What was tumblr to do? Easy. Ship him with himself. Seemingly over night, a fandom built upon clones was formed. People began to differentiate them by what they were wearing. Pajama Once-ler was always sleepy, Green Suit wearing Once-ler was maniacal but had a sense of humor, and the default Once-ler was pretty much the same except he was bashful.

But as fast as this fandom was built, it would swiftly be silenced. It just went. It wasn’t a steady decline, it was a sharp drop.

You can still find peices of this era if you look up “tumblr Once-ler” into google. I recommend it. If not for the good old laughs, just to see how far tumblr is willing to leap over logic and reason, just so they can fulfill their fantasies.