Why is Mr. Nobody hardly ever featured when discussion turns to great villains...

Why is Mr. Nobody hardly ever featured when discussion turns to great villains? Is it only because he isn’t actually a villain?

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2017/10/07/weekly-crossover-milk-wars-mashes-young-animal-dcu-january/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Mr.Nobody did nothing

Probably because he's a literal nobody

Who wants to use that guy? He's too weird for a regular punch-up, and not important enough to justify an event.

And how brilliantly, too!

I would love to see Mr. Nobody trigger a major event by stealing priceless art from Thanagar because it shouldn’t be commodified and should be made open and accessible by the common person.

I bought Morrison’s run for my girlfriend for Christmas and she’s finished the first trade and started the second one - I’m gonna start the first one soon, what am I in for Sup Forums? I’m eager to read it for sure but I wanna hear from you guys what is the best and worst of Doom Patrol!

He makes Superman look like an idiot instead of beating him bloody. He challenges your worldview, not you townhall. People would only be confused.

You’re in for an actual discussion and examination of morals and ethics as viewed through the lens of superhero comics. Are the Brother of Dada actually evil? If they are, what have they done wrong? Why should the Doom Patrol stop them? That sort of thing.

He is the pinnacle of Chaotic Good.

>I’m gonna start the first one soon, what am I in for Sup Forums?

You should probably just read it and find out.

>We’ve called the police!

>Oh yeah? Well, you’ve just ruined the magic of Christmas for all of these children!

I love him so much.

Jokes aside is the pinnacle of Chaotic Evil. Infact he began his villainy in The Brotherhood of Evil. He pretends to be Chaotic Neutral, but he murders way too often people for that. And he ldeads The Brotherhood of Dada like a cult, he doesn't really care about his followers. The Painting That Ate Paris, his Hoffmann Bustrip and his Candidacy for President were mass attacks on sanity itself. He is a chaos over evil type of guy, but he shall still deliver evil.

You are forgetting that Superman has to deal with Mxyzptlk every 90 days. Superman does not punch all his problems away. He could actually deal with Mr. Nobody as Superman has one of the most disciplined minds in the universe.

Whom did he kill again? Turning people into, say, toilets, is not murder.

Is his head supposed to be shaped like anything in particular? looks like a scalpel or something..

That guy that dies when he sees his own face, that reporter when Mr.Nobody was on his Magic Roadtrip and that South American Nazi and his goons. And lots and lots of police men and security guards.

This dude looks interesting.

What do I read if I want to get into him?

>A strechted question mark, maybe?
As the worlds first abstract man, it is impossible to really see him.

a question mark
Set aside your trash D&D conception of reality and see him for what he was: an artist, and a damn good one.
Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol

A good artist? I say, he is a nobody.

Ah. Been meaning to check that out for a while, thanks user.

Yeah, but Nazis aren’t actually people, and the police and security that he killed should’ve gotten out of the way. They had no reason to fight and conserve a system that oppressed them. They served as an object lesson as to why you should always examine your priorities as they exist within the parameters of your job.

>Cliff:"He can't be serious. There is no way any sane man would believe what that No-Man is saying!"
>Jane:"Never underestimate human capacity for craziness."

Cliff and Jane = OTP

I think he is too difficult and complex as a character to understand.

What’s hard to understand about someone with reality altering powers devoting themselves to the spread of art and joy after they realize that life is inherently void of meaning and that the only pleasure to be derived from life is art for the sake of itself?

Platonic OTP

>reality altering powers
He is not that powerful, he is simply a living thought. He can't attack you physically ( He seems capable of lifiting stuff, but its only on human level) but he can trashtalk you to death. Problem is, you can't attack him because he is never really there where you want to hit him.

Don't bully Cliff. And The Chief may built one for him.

They are way too cute together to just be platonic. Even if they can’t have sex or kiss, they can still hold hands.

Most of modern Sup Forums hasn't read anything older than the current decade that doesn't have Batman in it

Yeah I get hes like this weird abstract concept villain, cuz Doom Patrol. was just curious. Question mark makes sense.

Its not like thats a bad thing... if you're reading doom patrol for shipping you're doing it wrong. They just get each other, why is a great platonic friendship with these characters less valuable story-wise?
I'd argue its even more valuable.

Because they make each other happy, and they’re the only people who get each other.

This. And I suspect that the sudden rise of popularity of Mister Nobody is because he was probably revived in the new Doom Patrol

What did DC mean by this?

Well, yeah. I mean, discussion of any fringe character is going to be revived when that fringe character starts being used again.

So what if it does? If the newer run gets people interested in the older runs then why complain?

So how does everyone imagine Mr. Nobody sounds? I go with Charlie Adler as the Red Guy.

Computer voice or go home.

>Mxyzptlk
ffs thats actually a thing

He literally died for our sins.

Fuck, that backwards-name trick actually worked on me too, totally wasn't expecting it at first.

>Mr. Nobody is also The Joker

Hold on, he actually came back?

Why aren’t you reading Gerard Way’s Doom Patrol? I understand your reticence, what with the My Chemical Romance association, but it’s shockingly good. Well worth putting next to Morrison’s run.

Outside of Morrison's run what's the ranking for the other runs?

Keep in mind, I’ve only really read Giffen, Morrison and Way’s runs, but I would say that Way’s run isn’t as good as Morrison’s and is better than Giffen, who is an excellent writer, but who is also way too wordy.

I love that at the beginning of Giffen's run the first thing he does is get rid of all the Byrne run characters. Plus he brought back Jane and Danny.

Ha ha ha.

Someone hasn't been keeping up with the recent run of Doom Patrol.

Why is it that in every thread there is always someone who likes Mr. Nobody, but isn't aware of the serious shit about to go down in the recent run of Doom Patrol?

No spoiler tags, this has been out for a while.

I am wondering what role the new brotherhood will play in the Milk Wars crossover event.

Google brutalist architecture.

Also, 50% CHAD.

I suspect meme magic is involved.

My theory is Mr. Nobody is still mad about Flashpoint ruining his plans when he was Mr. Somebody in Giffen's run.

So he's out to pull one over on the DC multiverse as payback.

well, hector and alice sound boring as fuck.

Nr. Nobody seems like a character that is really tough to write well

This. He's like Prof Pyg, only the right mind can do him justice.

What comic is this?

Doom Patrol, Gerald Way's run.

Doom Patrol.

Flex Mentallo is in it, and he fights robots that ship people.

1. Drake
2. Pollack
3. Kupperberg

None of the other runs matter.

How's that movie? Seems pretty good.

It's because he's in a niche book and doesn't have many apperaneces.

I've noticed someone on Sup Forums has been shilling Mr. Nobody pretty hard lately, and all I have to say to that is keep it up.

Thanks to that guy who posted all the 80s Punisher, I can finally say I've read old comics!

I loved the concept of the characters but this page convinced me.
I'm gonna read it!

I don't know how people can read Doom Patrol and enjoy it.

I've read all of Morrison's run and it's just tedious weird surreal bullshit. When he sticks to regular narratives he's so much more coherent. His Animal Man, X-Men, and Batman are infinitely better.

It didn't make sense that the government wanted to kill him when he didn't actually do anything illegal or bad when he ran for president.

Doom Patrol has a regular narrative. In fact I'd say Animal Man is a bit more stand off-ish than Doom Patrol.

The problem with Doom Patrol is just the constant new villain who is just some weird dimensional alien monsters like the insect aliens vs the lightning guys or the weird Army people who had that guy with no face working for him, or the scissor men. Just the same thing over and over, weird villains, lots of boring expository text, and dialogue by the villains that doesn't make sense.

Robotman and Crazy Jane do everything, Rebis does nothing until the end and saves everyone, and the ape girl, the black guy, and Miles sit around and do nothing.

I love Morrison and honestly, I agree. Doom Patrol was mostly a slog. But the ending made me cry.

desu I've only really enjoyed Doom Patrol when Mr. Nobody is in it.

Is there a reading guide to Mr. nobody?

From the beginning or just him as a virtual man?

Mr. Nobody first appeared as Mr. Morden in Doom Patrol #86 (in 1964) where he piloted a giant robot using motorboats as shoes across the water in an attempt to steal the Statue of Liberty at the behest of the Brotherhood of Evil.

I fucking love comic books so much you guys

I really really hope that's his motivation. Revenge against reality for spoiling his perfect plan and preventing him from ever being somebody.

>nobody as the main villain of a big DC event

It's too good for DC to ever do.

>Green Arrow: how am I supposed to fight this guy? I’m getting a headache just looking at him
>Crazy Jane: Just...just go with the flow and don’t ask questions. It’s easier that way.

>What is Milk Wars?

Giffen kinda understood that, so he transformed Nobody into Somebody.

Get ready for The Disappointment then.

We had a pretty good conversation about that in another thread a few weeks ago.

Like how Mr. Nobody realized that by doing the things he was doing he was conforming to the in-universe logic of DC and then rebelled against that by going full capitalist.

I remember that thread. Some user read Giffen run almost entirely that day.

I gotta be honest, most people tend to shit in the runs that followed Morrison's run, and I can understand it, but Giffen really did his best and he understood the weirdness of the Doom Patrol, maybe not like Morrison, but he understood the heart of the characters.

Holy shit

bleedingcool.com/2017/10/07/weekly-crossover-milk-wars-mashes-young-animal-dcu-january/

>Not understanding the symbolism of it
(you)

that means you have to leave Sup Forums for at least 90 days.

That was me. Someone pointed me in the direction of where to find it and I read it.

It cleared up a few things about Way's run, like how Danny and Jane are back, and gave me some ideas about where Way is taking the plot in his run.

Mr. Somebody was trying to retroactively alter the pasts of characters by controlling the media in-universe so people see only what he shows them. He could paint anyone as the hero or mark anyone as the villain regardless of their past actions. He was capitalizing on just how much the main DC Earth had been destabilized by the Blackest Night event and the general civil unrest about supers caused by all the black lantern zombies.

Now, it seems that The Disappointment and his retco industries is doing what Mr. Somebody was attempting to do, but on a much larger and more meta scale. Retelling, regurgitating, refurbishing supers for the masses, making their origins more streamlined and such.
The hiccup is with the Doom Patrol since they remember EVERYTHING, their history going back to Earth-1 before Crisis of Infinite Earths and their story shrugging off any attempts to reboot them to square one.

I suspect retco are the ones behind why Larry got his old body back when the Doom Patrol entered DC's latest reboot.

Giffen gave it a good shot, I felt he got bogged down by DC crossovers forcing their way into everything at the time and pushing his original stuff to the sidelines (like the black hole entity), but the Doom Patrol has always been at the mercy of DC's big crossover events.
Like how the Invasion crossover is what rebooted the series into Morrison's run.

It seems every new run of the Doom Patrol always has at least one major crossover and always either begins or ends with one of DC universe reboots.

would you explain for me?

I think I read somewhere that he's supposed to be a cubist representation of a shadow.

No. Read it again. Trust me. It will be better than me trying to explain something.

We will ever see Mr. Jost again, because I actually liked him.

That's the reason they needed to kill him. He might have won.

Who knows, last we saw he was being kept on a leash like a dog and probably brain damaged from prolonged possession.

If LOOKING at Mr. Nobody drains you of your sanity, imagine what being possessed by Mr. Somebody must do.

I would love to see Nobody as a Superman villain for once. I wonder how would Supes defeat him?

If his goal of destroying sanity itself is because he thinks it's altruistic, then he's technically good, even if what he's doing isn't. If he's doing it specifically to hurt people, then he's evil. If he's doing it for the sake of doing it, or for his own satisfaction, then he's neutral.

>Mr. Nobody remembers the pre-Flashpoint multiverse

If that's true, it actually puts him on post-crisis Psycho-Pirate's level of importance.

For me it's just about soaking in the visuals and the ideas. It's a fun little trip seeing what sort of half-cocked insanity Morrison pulls out of his ass for the story. It's not some overarching epic like some of his other works, but a collection of fun little stories that make me feel like a kid again.

The entire Doom Patrol remembers pre-Flashpoint multiverse. The retco corporation is trying their damnedest to force them into some kind of role in the universe and the Doom Patrol are shrugging it off.

Early on in Way's run they directly talk about how they were on Oolong Island in Giffen's run, Larry even comments on how he was on the beach on the island and there where was a flash of light and he was in space and things got weird before he woke up on the streets no longer having the negative spirit inside of him.

The Doom Patrol's thing seems to be that there are, in the words of a retco industries worker, HIGHLY resistant to metacon.

Would Nobody browse Sup Forums?