How to get back into cartoons

I stopped watching cartoons seriously, like most of my peers, during about 7th grade. This was around when shit like Regular Show, The Amazing World of Gumball, and some other shit got popular. When I was in high school, I had some friends that still watched like Steven Universe and that kind of shit and I thought it was really fucking gay. I'm now a college freshman, and after talking to some new friends, I decided to try giving a couple new cartoons a try. I'm pretty interested in shit like Over the Garden Wall and Gravity Falls, and I was thinking of trying Adventure Time again (I stopped when they added the Flame Woman character as Finn's love interest, that was fucking dumb). Any other good ones out there? Also, I'm curious, why did you guys stick with cartoons even after growing up (assuming you're all over 18 considering the board rules)?
Pic kind of unrelated, it's just the only cartoon I could think of that I still watch sometimes. Loved that show

Coincidentally, Flapjack was the last kids' cartoon I watched.

>kids' cartoon
What exactly makes a cartoon a kids' cartoon to you? Do you still actively watch cartoons? If so, which ones?

I don’t watch cartoons i read comics

how old are you mate?
same boat here

>What exactly makes a cartoon a kids' cartoon to you?
Y7, obviously.

Toned down language, little to no sexual situations, no drug references, philosophically shallow.

The only cartoons I watch now are Fox's, Netflix's and occasionally [as]. I'm way past TV-Y7 stuff.

Same question I asked the other user with similar tastes as yours: did you watch Avatar and its superior magical girl counterpart back in the day?

19 as of a couple days ago. I don't go on this board at all really but I'd imagine there's a couple of people like us on here looking for recs and entry level tips and shit
Gotcha, I didn't know if you meant you have a personal guideline to the shit you watch. In that case, what are some examples of cartoons you watch? Asking out of legitimate curiosity and seeking recommendations
I wasn't even aware that Fox made cartoons, and the only Netflix ones I know of are like that Big Mouth one that I think fucking sucks and Neo Yokio, which my friends and I watched last time we hung out and I liked it, it was funny as shit

I watched Avatar a decent amount. My favorite episode was when they found the old Air kingdom and Yang or whatever the fuck his name was just chilled out and the girl found the skeleton. But honestly one of the reasons I stopped was because I was really conservative as a kid and the cartoon movie with the kissing scene and birth scene fucking disgusted me. Never watched Korra, that was around when I stopped watching cartoons except Amazing World of Gumball with my little brother, Regular Show a little, and a couple other ones here and there

Find some Sup Forums rec chart and go with that (some of will invariably be nostalgiabait and not actually good, but they're usually pretty good). Almost nothing modern is worth watching, you'd be better off with watching anime to be honest. A lot quantity and quality, and a lot easier to access.

The only reason I'm still here for cartoons other than old cartoons, is because Sup Forums is shit and I want to believe in western cartoons. I want to find something worth watching.

Are you me?

>the cartoon movie with the kissing scene and birth scene fucking disgusted me
The what? Avatar didn't have a cartoon movie, nor any birth scene that I can recall.

And I wasn't talking about Korra, by the way.

>I stopped watching cartoons seriously

Why?

As long as entertainment is gained, why would you ever stop?

you say 'shit' way too often, you sound like maybe the kinda guy who would bust nuts to sausage party

Hi me. Except Sup Forums is fine.

Most modern cartoons arn't worth shit.

Assuming that you didn't care for Regular Show back when it first aired, I think you should definitely give that another try. Adult Swim also has some pretty good shows: The Venture Bros, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Frisky Dingo, Sealab 2021, Rick and Morty, Mike Tyson Mysteries, etc. For me, classic Simpsons (seasons 3-8) was also pretty good to go back to and rewatch, since I could understand the jokes better

Must have been one of those several part episodes, I think it was a longer one. And it didn't depict the birth, I just remember the girl's brother character walked into a tent as someone was screaming in childbirth pain and then he fainted. What were you talking about though?
Because I, like most normies who tried to fit in in middle school, thought I would be cooler if I didn't like cartoons and other kid stuff.
I completely agree that I do, it's a habit I get into when I type unfortunately. Trying to stop, but I just go into default mode and refer to everything as "shit." Sausage Party was ok, saw it in theaters for my older brother's birthday
A lot of this I grew up watching and still do watch occasionally. I do hold a lot of these in high regards and still watch them occasionally with my little brother, but I meant modern cartoons for the most part. I don't really understand, I thought most people on this board loved modern cartoons. Just lurking for a day I saw a bunch of modern cartoon threads
I didn't necessarily not care for it, I actually liked it, but as I said in that other response, I just stopped watching cartoons as a cool thing. I'm now a working adult attending college and I don't give a crud what people think about my social status due to watching a fucking cartoon. I will watch Simpsons though, I've been meaning to rewatch them as well, used to like watching it with my grandpa as a little kid

Don't let jaded fags tell you cartoons are dead, it all depends on your taste. imo some good stuff has been coming out but it's somewhat niche and aimed at younger audiences:

Nico and sword of light
Legend quest
Star vs Forces of Evil
OK KO let's be heroes
new ep.s of Adventure Time
and just recently Unikitty

Of course there are the standard 'here you go adults have another scoop':

Rick and morty
Bojack horseman
Archer
Bob's burgers
American Dad

If you just want some not-so-new, good adult cartoons I really like what adult swim has to offer:

Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Morel Orel
Xavier: Renegade Angel (even bigger props to Wondershowzen but that's only honorary Sup Forums)
Mike Tyson Mysteries
Harvey Birdman
Venture Bros.
Superjail
China IL
and of course: 12 Oz Mouse

Star vs Forces of Evil looks kind of cool, that's one of the ones I was thinking about. I really like the art style.
I've seen all of the shows in the middle list, only ones I watch are Archer (which rules) and Rick and Morty, which I mostly watch with my brother when he's in town.
I'll check out some of those adult swim shows though. I used to love Aqua Teen, Superjail, and Venture Bros. Recently watched XRA and it made me crack up a shit ton, was really good. Will check out the others, thanks

>Unikitty
stop praising cancer

>I don't watch cartoons, I shitpost

>I just remember the girl's brother character walked into a tent as someone was screaming in childbirth pain and then he fainted.
Shit, now I feel retarded. That's one of the most well-known scenes in the show.
But it's from a two-part episode at the very most, generally aired as a standalone though.
>What were you talking about though?
The show I was talking about is W.I.T.C.H. It's very much like Avatar in many ways, but with better and more continuous writing, and with a group of girls for main characters.

But you really should give Avatar itself another look too. And also from the same era: Teen Titans, if you haven't watched that already.

BTW whoever made the chart in is so Americentric they didn't bother to include the show I was talking about just because it got screwed over in the US. Take it with much salt.

>i dont shitpost, i larp.

I kept watching just because I had liked a lot at the time, middle school had El Tigre, Ben 10, Secret Show, Wolverine and the X-Men, when I was in high school, Ben 10 Alien Force had just started, my freshman year, and by the time Senior year came around I had Gravity Falls, so I was pretty set my teen years. College had Korra, and Steven Universe became decent for a while
I definitely recommend Star vs, Voltron, I personally like Dragons: Race to the Edge but its pretty hit or miss.

When will you give it up WITCH fag?

no Aeon Flux?

>now I feel retarded
just now?

German TV is usually shit, the highest quality you can watch there is usually cartoons aimed at children. But I also like running my TV as a background noise, so I usually end up watching cartoons as background noise while doing stuff in the kitchen.

>Also, I'm curious, why did you guys stick with cartoons even after growing up (assuming you're all over 18 considering the board rules)?

If it truly is an odd thing to do, i didn't notice. If i had noticed, i probably wouldn't have cared.
I never exclusively watched what would be considered kids cartoons though, i delved more into those after having watched "mature" stuff for years. You stopped watching adventure time at just the right moment, but there are still good episodes after that if you can bear the garbage ones.

>Also, I'm curious, why did you guys stick with cartoons even after growing up (assuming you're all over 18 considering the board rules)?
Why? why i need a reason? is like asking if i will stop breathing after 23 years of doing so

I remember right before I graduated highschool I saw this kid sitting with his friends at gym, on the floor, they were in a circle watching the family guy episode where Brian gets hit by a car, it was the day after it aired I think (this was in 2013, I'm 20 now)

I'm assuming face value "this is an adult show" is acceptable to watch around other teens/early adults, no questions asked. Adventure Time is a grey area, it was just popular enough that everyone sorta saw it as a kid show but it had the same view as a grown woman walking around with a hello kitty purse, it's just a thing and doesn't mean much. I'd say Regular Show, Gravity Falls, Korra (maybe Avatar?) and stuff like that that aren't "adult show" can get by, but Flapjack, Spongebob, Teen Titans Go!, Gumball, We Bare Bears, etc might get some looks but it really depends where you are.

If you're in highschool you might get a "you watch [series]?" "yea", if you're hanging with friends that are your friends and not passive aggressive cunts, it should be fine. If you're at a party with friends drinking beer and shit expect to have to watch Rick and Morty or Big Bang Theory, or Family Guy.

Society itself is a chump, if you're on the other end of the extremes and are watching Arthur in highschool that's one thing, but mid-way shows where it borders on teen/adult should be fine. Personally if I see someone watching new family guy I judge them because it's more juvenile than current Adventure Time.

This list leaves a lot to be desired but I fixed it so it's at least acceptable.

There's a pretty big stigma for enjoying media from the wrong demographic imo, older watching younger content and male watching female content are two things that are plain looked down on. I don't think most people would question you for watching bob's burgers or archer as an adult but shit like star vs. would put you well on many people's "fucking weird" radars.

Newfag probably just bought into the normalcy meme and wanted to know what the grown-ups watch (which happens to be whatever we damn well feel like)

Watch Voltron: Legendary Defender.

>fucks up the chart
>still doesn't add
Fuck. You.

I want people to watch the show. I want to talk about it. Because I think it's criminally underrated.
What in the world is wrong with that, may I ask?

How the fuck did I fuck up the chart? All I did was remove Steven Universe and Barney and change Spongebob to seasons 1-3, those seem like reasonable changes to me. Instead of bitching about it you should've filled in the gaps yourself.

Just watch anime instead

That you keep praising it as the holy grail of western animation and you talk about it in the same gay way every fucking time

>shitty MS Paint job leaving holes in it
>How the fuck did I fuck up the chart?

I despise the fact that anime is vastly superior to cartoons.
With the money the major Western animation studios have, it's absolutely ludicrous.

Everything is basically the same except Adventure time is even worse and the good ones from your time have ended.