Other urls found in this thread:

gramunion.com/tagged/moana au
youtu.be/yQhC1Kfrs3o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it flopped?

It didn't.

>600M on a 150M budget
this was no zootopia success
but its still no box office bomb, this kind of money is actually a pretty good deal

Moana did fine, people just set the bar too high because it didn't explode like Frozen did.
Frozen was an exception. It was expected to flop because of the problems during production. It was so wildly popular that Disney could not handle all the demand for merchandise. No idea why people expected Moana to be the same

No it just came and went like a normal movie. It did not linger around in merch format for years and years like Frozen

just fucking place the right character under the right VA
is that so hard???

Those weren't problems during production, just executives being greedy.

Moana was made only to diversify Disney's princess franchise. First brown Princess, so progressive!
2016 was a great year for Disney Zootopia, Moana, Finding Dory, Rogue One. They swam in money!

Sup Forums keeps forgetting this was the standard in the 90's already

They made middle eastern princess, then native american princess, then chinese princess, then gypsy princess......

Zootopia came out first.

>First brown Princess, so progressive!
Are you stupid?

Finally saw it, really liked it.

>First brown Princess
Are you underage? It wouldn't surprise me.

because it lacked a cute boy/husbando

None of them except Jasmine were princesses tho

>deku as moana
>gran torino as ocean
>takiyaki as a fish
Why tho

moana isnt a princess either dingus

Fortunatley, coco fixed that.

I asked the same thing myself
I love it tho

Didn't cutter to Chinese, Indian and Mexican cultures.

She is the daughter of the Chief. that make he a princess.

Sup Forums you are the biggest retards in retard town.

I didn't say she is

How the fuck did you spell "intellectual" as "retard"? ffs redditors truly are stupid

Just like Pocahontas

Not really.

A chieftain isn’t royalty. Not in the traditional nor literal sense.

the rest
gramunion.com/tagged/moana au

Is there a pic of topless All Might as Maui?

Huh!

yes

here

That's not all might, that's just a skeleton.

I meant in the link user, that blonde creep has nothing to do with the symbol of peace, duh

I don't know if it was intentional, but when Allmight retired, it felt a lot like when Santo removed and removed his mask on national television.

Oh, right.

buuut it didn't.

The boy is hideous

>Implying Sup Forums isn’t R*ddit

why didn't moana traveled with the cute pig?

Little girls want cute boys and pretty dresses both which this movie lacks.

The pig was annoying too. There should’ve been no animals at all

I liked the coq.

She wasn't a princess, she didn't have a love interest, her movie wasn't marketed and merchandised as heavily as Frozen, and its lack of adherence to the status quo didn't make the story memorable to the target audience of the movie.

There's also the fact that the mascot pig didn't speak and wasn't obnoxious, unlike that piece of shit Olaf.

Oops, sorry, I didn't wat to quote you when I made this post I was just making a statement, there.

>no animals
so you didn't want Moana to be in the film?

A "bomb" implies it wasn't worth the investment and was despised by critics and audiences.

Moana wasn't a hit but it wasn't a bomb either.

it pisses me off to no end that no one lost anything, it did the disney meme when even disney in this day and age doesn't tend do it anymore

I know some complained that Maui wasn't attractive.

Which was kinda the point of his origin if folks paid attention.

What is princess and the frog

>643m on a $150m budget
>Flop
That's 4.3x it's budget back, I looked on deadline and it made over 120m straight profit.
Compare that to tangled, which made $591m on a 260m budget, or 2.3x
Or Wreck it Ralph, which made $471m on a $165m budget, 2.8x
Movie was a big success

Black Princess, not brown.

>anons browse Sup Forums and Sup Forums and STILL don't know how box office results
Studios don't keep all of the profit. And the 150M budget doesn't include marketing costs. generally speaking, a movie has to make double its budget just to break even

Moana is the chief at the end,she's pretty much a king.

see
Disney doesn't get to pocket all of that money

blax

Was Tangled a success
I love Rapunzel

In Japan it did, and got destroyed by Shin Godzilla, no joke.

Then again considering that Moana was just a "go trough the motions, paid by numbers, generic trite'', it came and went and that's it.

People went to see it just because its fucking Disney, not because it was something, hence why the new star wars movies and the MCU post avengers 1 make money despite being horrendous.

Tangled was Disney's last good movie and it was nearly a decade ago

Tamatoa should have been a rival demigod and leader of the coconuts.

Japan loves white girls like Rapunzel or Elsa

Yes, actually, because of top billing clauses. As someone who also wondered why Hollywood would blatantly disregard something so obvious and natural this video was quite enlightening.

youtu.be/yQhC1Kfrs3o

A poor black bitch from a ghetto

not a princess, opinion discarded

>Inb4 why not design the poster around that?

Probably because it doesn’t lend itself to compelling poster design.

they did not have the concept or royalty and their island is not a nation so moana is not a princess

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

YOU GOT PRANKD

>Go to pepipopo next time.

and Moana quadrupled its budget, so what is the point of this post?

what is Aladdin, more like

It's a summer movie released in winter

300M probably isn't the profit the mouse is looking for. ESPECIALLY for one of their mainline disney princesses

What? They weren't even released at the same time beyond same year.

made more than Tangled

White people and asians don't really want to see a film about brown people

Black/brown people especially don't want to see a film about a group of black/brown people that they don't belong to.

All the pacific islanders were busy not having disposeable income to spend on watching a film to really care.

Aladdin is not a princess no matter how much larping you transfags try to shove into everyone else' normal people media

now fuck off

that doesn't mean its better

>not a princess, opinion discarded
Once she marry him, she become a princess. Officially. that's like, a fucking big plot point of the movie.

did you leave before the end or forget your memory pills?

but if the argument is that 300M in profit off a mainline princess isn't what Disney is looking for, then Tangled is an even bigger failure than Moana.

They still made well over twice the budget, past the break even point so it was by no means a flop.

>It only had a 400% budget profit
>"That's still not good enough to not be a flop"

Maybe it's cause we only get Sup Forums trolls for animated movies and superhero films, but what in God's name is needed to be a hit?!
Do people talk about this when they make $20mil romantic comedy? "It only made $80mil what a flop."
Especially when they talk about marketing and advertising not included in the budget like sure that's expensive but MORE THAN $100MIL EXPENSIVE?

Boys can't be princesses

I beg to differ.

Doesn't Coco sort of destroy that argument?

>but MORE THAN $100MIL EXPENSIVE?
Depends on the movie, but yeah often it can for big movies.

Typically a good method is to 1.5x the budget (advertising and such) and halve the box office (cinemas take a solid cut).
So in this case assume a total 225m expense, 321m revenue. That's pretty decent, especially since Disney movies are more about the merch than anything else.

Tangled was better
Moana was boring
Rapunzel itself is more popular and she has more merchandise
Also there is this Tangled cartoon

>Tangled was better
>Moana was boring
I disagree

It's my opinion, but I accept your opinon, too

OP asked why it bombed though? Which it didn't. That other user was just saying that if you consider Moana a financial failure then Tangled was a bigger one regardless of their quality.

It's not quite that simple. Expectations factor in a lot. Moana managed to do less than Big Hero 6 despite being a princess movie. As it followed some very big hits from the animation studios, there were some high expectations on it to perform well. Tangled was released at a time when things weren't good and the previous princess movie had flopped hard. Expectations where lower there.

By no means were Moana a flop, but nor was it a big success. It performed well. Tangled pretty much marked the end of 2d animations in the theatrical movies (Frozen was originally supposed to be in 2d but Tangled & The Princess and the Frog changed that) and Frozen became a phenomen. In comparison, Moana is just there.

I love Tangled, it is so much better than Frozen
Tangled deserved more

it's got a pretty nice tv show.

Frozen's getting a sequel that is probably going to do terrible

Apparently Disney wanted a theatrical sequel to Tangled, but the original directors weren't interested in it. Suppose that is why it got a tv-series instead.

Pocahontas and Mulan are both official princesses you mouthbreather.