So I just binge-watched this series yesterday...

So I just binge-watched this series yesterday, and I gotta ask: Why does the fight choreography of this show blow the choreography of every other modern animated show in the west out of the water.

For a long time I was willing to forgive shows like Adventure Time and Steven Universe for mediocre fights, but now that I see the quality that can be achieved with a lower budget I'm really upset. This is literally the perfect blend of anime speed and power with the fluidity of western animation.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tUYjhGRRHjo
youtube.com/watch?v=uTxIEr20QzI
youtube.com/watch?v=VlefObjJ5hM
youtube.com/watch?v=nrbf5XGA88M
youtube.com/watch?v=HibHOD5DPoo
youtube.com/watch?v=kuXAMffl71w
youtu.be/7ms-7G8mlQE?t=71
youtube.com/watch?v=L2J30-2vvjU
youtube.com/watch?v=fCSj0b22X1M
youtube.com/watch?v=ltSOidHtxOk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

this...this has to be bait, right?

I'll agree. KO's fights look much better than other shows on the air. I think they just care about the quality more.

No, maybe the show itself is a bit basic, but the fights are incredible.

A little bit of good composition can go a long way.

I don't have the webm but I remember seeing one of the orange girl fighting the purple haired girl and it looked pretty awful, is that an outlier?

Nigga, wut?
The fights in this show are terrible, they only look semi-decent when you compare them to modern animation because the standards are non-existent.

.... Are you guys sure it isn't just that it doesn't have much in the way of competition? I mean, it is contemporary cartoons it's being stacked against.

It's better than a lot of anime fight scenes too

>no one posts any examples

this is probably a bait thread but then again I remember people praising the fight scenes in Steven Universe

youtube.com/watch?v=tUYjhGRRHjo
This is much better than anything in SU

>good
I like the show, but this is not that impressive

Because simplified anatomy makes animating easier.

What an embarrassing thread.

OH NO NO NO

You gotta be baiting, right? The fight choreography is as terrible as Steven Universe's, despite the barebones simplified artstyle that looks like it was made by a middle schooler.

mediocre as fuck, and I'm pretty sure a lot of the angles and shots used in this scene were ripped off from certain animes.

His body in relation to his head changes size in this. A lot. Like proportions. When it starts his head is a little more than twice the size of his body. At the end, it changes again.

KO looks and feels amazing despite it's simple art style. It definitely looks and moves better than any other animated show right now too. The people in these threads just want anime fights that last for 5 fucking episodes, and that's not what western animation is for.

This is and a bunch of other scenes are really cool and have camera angles we don't see very often in western animation. Pretty good for a TV toon on Cartoon Network.

We said currently, there's shit in the past that looks way better than this.

Also this, but they still look cool.

Because Ian is a man, and we are just better at it.

I dunno, I feel like the fight scenes in OK KO could use some work. The punches and kicks feel like they don't have any weight to them. They keep hiding the hits with cheap black screens instead of showing the impact.

I believe one of the revisionists blogged (around tge time elodie episode aired) about how they are encouraged to plus up the storyboarder's action sequences ... two of them are freelancers for Yotta and their director used to work on motor city...seems they distinctly hired action-minded folks for their revision crew

That's because it's expensive. Showing weight in animation is really only achievable in features. For a TV cartoon it's pretty good though, especially during today's era. Beast Steven Universe any day.

>Showing weight in animation is really only achievable in features.

No it's only achievable with an actual understanding of animation. Showing weight is a matter of drawing frames that convincingly show a displacement of mass and energy, even comics can achieve this.

Partially because some of the boarders have experience and competence: Mira Ong Chua was a board revisionist on the nick TMNT cartoon while Parker Simmons was an animator at titmouse on shows like Superjail, Motorcity, and Turbo Fast.

I was gonna add the revision team stuff but already had it covered (storyboard supervisor Jeremy Polgar also did animation for Masaaki Yuasa's Space Dandy episode, which had a lot of international animators, including some titmouse people)

I do feel that there's some anime that blows OK KO out of the water while OK KO benefits from having weak competition. The shorts animated at Science Saru and studio yotta are really nice looking.

one of the two board revisionists (Max Collins) was also an animation director on the first of the shorts Studio Yotta animated
youtube.com/watch?v=uTxIEr20QzI

speaking of Yotta freelancers, one of the SU boarders that has a fairly decent track record with fight scenes (Jeff Liu) is doing freelance for yotta now (like doing a few shots for the Planet Panic pilot and the sonic mania intro, the latter of which Max and Ian JQ also did some shots for while fellow OK KO board revisionist Anna Craig did some clean-up)

> It definitely looks and moves better than any other animated show right now too.

Yeah that's wrong tho
youtube.com/watch?v=VlefObjJ5hM
Even unikitty has a better flow of motion than OKKO
youtube.com/watch?v=nrbf5XGA88M

And both shows stay on model while doing so.

>The people in these threads just want anime fights that last for 5 fucking episodes, and that's not what western animation is for.

Western animation isn't "for" anything you autist. It's whatever people decide to create.

both Unikitty and Rick and Morty are puppet rig shows (with some extra level of care to keep them from being Johnny Test tier) while OK KO has the hand drawn in korea animation shows. Of course the former two have a nice flow to their animation. Plus OK KO's off modelness isn't due to incompetence but due to Ian JQ's off model fetish (though you're free to feel "just because they're doing it on purpose doesn't make it good")

Lol

i know western shows are pretty bad when it comes to action so it's a low bar, but come on. that fight scene with the ninja girl and the archer girl was appalling, and it's considered the go-to action highlight.

if you can, show me better. please. i've seen that, the TKO fight and the shadowy guy fight, and of those three people only ever link the archer girl one, so if there's another notable action scene please direct me to it.

>and it's considered the go-to action highlight.
don't people link it to prove the show's action is shit?

this is the best video I could find of the KO vs Darrel fight on youtube
youtube.com/watch?v=HibHOD5DPoo

More a dance battle, but still fun to watch. (starts 1:38)
youtube.com/watch?v=kuXAMffl71w

Meh, if I wanted to watch an action cartoon, I'd just watch TMNT 2012 again.

one of the boarders who's one of the more skilled at action scenes worked on TMNT 2012

Threads where Sup Forums praises the animation in an ongoing show are always hilarious. This board literally has no standards.

If this shit is considered good then it just shows how absolutely abhorrent its contemporaries are.
youtu.be/7ms-7G8mlQE?t=71

This is terrible. You all have terrible taste.

:44 lol the uppercut wasn't even going to hit him

That was pretty underwhelming, but it's certainly impressive compared to other shows, but that really doesn't say a lot at all. I could tell that they were trying, but desu i don't see this impressing anyone who is used to higher quality

*I don't see this impressing anyone who watches anime

I don't think KO has good animation, but I think does do a good job at interesting camera angles in a lot of scenes.

>no argument

Ugly artstyle. Bad choreography. Unappealing and unoriginal characters. Boring voice acting. Boring backgrounds. Simple, boring, bland colors. Their hands are literally circles in most scenes.

Is that enough of an argument, stupid?

Not really, but I suppose you're entitled to your opinion.

It's boring on multiple levels, and unappealing to a first-time watcher; therefore, it is not a good example of good or fluid animated fight scenes.

even Rick and fucking Morty blows this shit out of the water >This is much better than anything in SU
just barely. and you say that as if they set the bar very high to begin with

>Tfw you appreciate a variety of art and animation styles

Again, your opinion.

because those other shows aren't about fighting

youtube.com/watch?v=L2J30-2vvjU

>DADDYEEEEE
Gets me every fucking time

one of the storyboard supervisors jeremy polgar has previously animated for kora,space dandy, and titmouse he must have high standards that's why they are good

the only thing for Korra he did was be one of the animators for the cutscenes on the Platinum Game that titmouse animated

why are their mouths so fucking small? reminds me of pic related

ye

This seems ok, but it has a real speed problem at the start.

this is much better than the archer scene, but the composition feels wonky most of the time. i'd chalk it up to most of the shots having the character standing in the center of the screen, and their failure to use the background as a framing device. but yeah this one is "a good action scene for an american cartoon".

and no, there were honestly people posting the archer scene as an example of how good the action was.

>Reddit and Memey

at least it can stay on model O.K. C.U.C.K.

one second in and holy shit. this looks so shitty.

Holy shit, this is static and bland beyond belief. And it's trying to be badass, which is even more cringey.

youtube.com/watch?v=fCSj0b22X1M

Here's an example of a show with a cartoony style that does good action scenes.

Oh yeah, Xiaolin Showdown is OK KO done right. Reaction faces and everything. Damn.

>Why does the fight choreography of this show blow the choreography of every other modern animated show in the west out of the water
Because you havent watched anything outside of Cartoon Network apparently.

Star Vs blows that turd out of the toilet water. Gravity Falls wasnt even action and had better fights. Even Hartman shows have more fluid action.

>star vs blows
end of sentence

>a tween animation show looks more on model than a hand draw one
water is wet and the sjy is blue, whats your point

damn I miss this show.

Looks fine. Guess this board's developed a distaste for wacky artstyles.

Preach on, fellow Hildawg!

>it's just a wacky artstyle
>it's ok when ok ko does it but not su!

Dave and Haewon are the "really goes full ham with being off model" team (same could also be said about Stevie)

What the fuck is wrong with you. That drawing is stupid looking, it's onscreen for upwards of 5 seconds, and barely resembles KO as he appears in the very next shot. Again, what the FUCK is wrong with you.

I think it's because that's when the ep switches boarders

That clearly looks a lot like KO. Seems more like there's something wrong with you to be triggered this much.

I said it "barely resembles him as he appears in the next scene", as in the two drawings of KO that appear on screen seconds after one another are comparatively dissimilar. But you're gonna play the jackass card no matter what argument I bring to the tablet, so you can go suck a doorknob.

>madoka vs naruto

Eh, im a fan of the show, but I'm not a fan how some characters are drawn in some shots.
If Ian wants to keep his fuck model sheets, motto, thats cool and all. But he should realize that because the characters are so simple, its VERY easy to make them look terrible.

>Love professor Venomous, especially his voice
>Look up actor
>Steve Ogg
> youtube.com/watch?v=ltSOidHtxOk

Yes. that's not exactly what i was saying but pretty much most people who have seen a well done fight scene will find this to be average at best

Meanwhile with Rebecca's shitshow:

>a literal fusion of a boy and girl
>people are upset when reminded of this
???

No seriously, what’s the problem here?

Everything. Not just Stevonnie, everything.

Quit being a faggot and make an actual point.

>A fusion of a male and female produces something that has a slight fuzz
That. Apparently it's worth whining about for 3 threads that go on for 400 replies.

Well gee, that’s a super helpful criticism.

Sorry. I'm just feeling tired and lazy rn. I'll be quick.

Wasted potential. off-model characters. Still shitty character development. Bad writing. A lot more but I don't want to get into it. It ain't getting any better desu. Plus It's still getting townie shit.

And you got all that from a single frame from SU?
Seriously, why are you bitching about SU in an OK KO thread?

But most people on Sup Forums already know about and agree with that. I think they specifically meant the problem with what posted.

Absolutely terrible

>Wasted potential. off-model characters. Still shitty character development. Bad writing. A lot more but I don't want to get into it. It ain't getting any better desu.
Sounds like OK KO tbqh.

Since Ian worked on that show previously I thought it'd be okay to bring it up in a OK K.O. thread. Sorry I guess.

Real talk: why do OK KO threads always derail into SU criticism threads? Is there so little content for OK KO that everyone resorts to talking about Ian’s old show?

>Since Ian worked on that show previously I thought it'd be okay to bring it up in a OK K.O. thread.
By that retarded logic, we should also be talking about Venture Bros. and Secret Mountain Fort Awesome.
If you want to talk SU,

Because it suffers the same flaws to a T. The fact it's Ian's show is just icing on the shit cake, which sucks because the guy worked on stuff like Venture Bros. and the pilot for OK KO was alright. But god damn this "different boarder's style" for every episode can just make or break an episodes visuals (like SU) Remember Hellen Jo A.K.A 'THE ASIAN'.

Is there a Mega for this series? I only watched the first few episodes.