The problem with the "Spider-Man" of MCU

The purpose is gone. He is just another generic hero for the sake of wanting to be famous and receive adoration, he is not a hero.

Sure you can say "hurrrr nobody wants the origin" but that's bullshit, if it was done right and done beautifully, THAT would be the way to go, fuck you laziness and this lazy film franchise, this is not Spider-Man.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jtpxEmInvfg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nice blog post,

If we don't see Uncle Ben die for the 900th time than he ain't no Spiderman.

>Sure you can say "hurrrr nobody wants the origin" but that's bullshit
Not really, no. Nice halfassed attempt at dismissing a valid point, though.

You mean third. We've seen Superman's origin twice, Batmans twice, Hulks twice, and while never clear we've delved into Wolverine's twice

Big fucking deal

We don't need an Origin story every 3rd Spider-man movie.

>He is just another generic hero

It's a problem because the MCU has turned every character into a quipper, thus reducing one of the things that made Spidey special

>you mean third
In 17 years. That's fucking unnecessary. We don't show James Bond's origin every time they recast it.

>Batmans twice
youtube.com/watch?v=jtpxEmInvfg
And that's even before they did it again in BvS

>Wolverine's twice
And big surprise, his origin movie is the worst one.

Origin stories are fucking overrated, and not having it in Homecoming was a godsend. No, it wasn't a perfect movie, but anyone who thinks a Spidey movie needs Uncle Ben is functionally retarded.

Uncle Ben isn't around and he very clearly references learning responsibility from his death when he's talking to Tony.

You're a literal retard.

>James Bond's origin
...did we ever know his origin?
>responsibility is functionally retarded.
OK.

>Hulks twice
Have we? Unless you count the 70s show.

It's weird that people completely miss the fact that Peter at the dance was supposed to mirror his choice with the muffler who shot Ben.

What's weird is that before the raimi movie Uncle Ben's death was barely touched upon in media and not even that frequently alluded to in the comics. It's like Batman here after the first modern movie came out(Batman 89) the origin had to be redone in EVERYTHING.

>...did we ever know his origin?
No, and we didn't need to. That's my point.
> responsibility is functionally retarded
that's not what I said. It's not my fault that you can't read between the lines and need to be spoonfed in these films. Uncle Ben's death still happened and he's obviously affected by it. They just didn't need to harp on it, because doing it again would be lazy.

>It's like Batman here after the first modern movie came out(Batman 89) the origin had to be redone in EVERYTHING.
That probably started a few years earlier with Year One, but yeah I agree with you over all.

There are tons of Spidey comics that don't focus on Ben's death. Why should every movie focus on it?

the problem is the whole movie was more about his lolsoquirky suit than actually being spiderman

it was basically star kid

>the muffler who shot Ben

I love autocorrect sometimes...

Which is why Ben's death would have made the character more interesting.

>I need people to explain everything to me

Well, I watch MCU movies so I'm not very intelligent. What can I do?

Solid meme. What DO you consider an intelligent movie, friend?

Well, shit. I had a good laugh too

Not Spider-Man: Homecoming, that's for sure.

>We don't show James Bond's origin every time they recast it.
Bad comparison, there is not story progression on James bond, no character development, he don't learn anything new, his movies are just random missions he made, spiderman in all his movies so far were mostly about character progression and development.

Remember when the first thing Spider-Man did after tossing the guy who shot Uncle Ben in the clink was try to join the Fantastic Four, hoping that he'd be able to make money and be famous AS well as hang the whole power+responsibility gig?

A story that hasn't been touched on by the other five Spider-Man movies, and thus was something new, instead of going on and on about a story that's been rehashed twice already?

No?

Somehow I'm not surprised

Because Spider-Man has changed meaning. He is now the "Screwup brownnoser who is there to say 'WOAH! Mr. Stark!' and thus ensuring audience giggling and fangirl squeeing". Spider-Man is there to be a fucking twink who screws up and everyone goes "Oh that silly Spider-Man'

It's why they want Deadpool to team up with him, cause they can be faggots together.

We've only seen Hulk and Batman's origins once, Superman's second origin movie sucked, and Wolverine has about fifty origins so they can rehash those as many times as they want and they'd always have a new angle (I bet if Fox had held onto X-Men there'd eventually be a gothic survival horror version of Origin featuring baby James Howlett)

One thing I dislike about the MCU's starstruck Peter is how irreverent early Peter was about other heroes. he basically ends that story telling the FF screw you and flirting with Sue storm, I feel like a snarky teen Peter that could still be somewhat respectful to the Avengers but not outright being starstruck would've been a better version than what we got, and more realistic to a teenager.

>Spider-Man was an asshole in the first comics, so he must remain an asshole forever
OK.

Yeah that isn't more realistic
Any real teenager would be a total fanboy around the Avengers

>or the sake of wanting to be famous and receive adoration

The movie is all about how he wants to help the little people.
It ends with a scene of him refusing a fancy new suit and fucking press release!

Why can't you pay attention?

Remember, Spider-Man being a dickhead so often early on was part of the psychiatry behind his secret identity

If the Fantastic Four had known his identity, I doubt he'd have been hot digging half as hard

No the MCU is bad and stinky, though.

He's Tony lil' bitch mercenary in the MCU. Probably sucks daddy Tony's dick after attempting homicide on Cap and Bucky.

I really wonder where they can go with this version. They change so much arbitrarily, I don't know if they can keep up with a film every 2 years, especially with the High School cast leaving in the 3rd film

>I have not seen the movie

He probably hasn't even seen the movie, don't eat the bait.

>watching Homecoming
>ever
Ewww.

Generic Marvel movie, second worst SM movie

It's not even real bait, I mean...

You sound like a child obviously trying to stir shit up. It aint working.

Bye.

Tony literally hires him for money in Civil War where he almost kills Bucky. This Spider-Man is no hero. He's just Tony's little bitch. An Avenger fanboy. A complete faggot.

not an answer

Bye, quitter.

I don't see why they couldn't have handled it like Spectacular did?

disney shills don't watch their own movies, they just defend the logo because manchilds think mouses adorable

His origin story has been told twice on the big screen. We don't need it a third time. They made the right call skipping forward.

Besides, no one ever dies in the MCU, not even Ben. Expect him coming back in future movies.

they learned their lesson from Spider-man 3, the origin is too iconic not to tie into a main super-villain but they can't do that 2 movies later

the origin song and dance will be gotten around to, but they made the right call not stuffing it into the first movie, that's why flashbacks exist

They didn't skip forward. It's still an origin story but an incredibly weak one with zero character depth. They seemed more obsessed with blackwashing than writing a good script.

I really wouldn't mind an adaptation where Peter starts off with that anti-social attitude of his.

I feel like normalfags see him as softer than he actually is. Especially with that "Oh baby Spider-man is the Avengers adopted kid" attitude.

I think we need to know what they are going to do with the sequel to fully grasp what they intend to do, especially if Stark dies.

Peter as Stark Enterprises CEO. He hates responsibility, so the company goes under.

Gee, I wonder where that attitude came from...

It's not that we need a third "Uncle Ben dies" movie, it's that we need Peter Parker to behave as if he's doing what he does because of it.

>just another generic hero for the sake of wanting to be famous and receive adoration
I have my problems with MCU Spidey--his very personality isn't very accurate to the comics--but his little speech in Civil War is good. How if something bad happens and someone gets hurt and he did nothing, that's on him. It is literally just "with great power comes great responsibility". And also, pretty much the same thing Cap said earlier to Tony in the movie.

...in his Junior year?

>I feel like normalfags see him as softer than he actually is.
Who would've thought, casting an actual faggot and making him a Stark bitch would make Spidey look shit. Feige is pissing all over Sony property without the idiots even noticing.

>you have had two good movies, I don't want you to join those special children

Don't worry, in the next movie he sells his web fluid formula to pay the bills.

And that’s canonically Peter now.

I think what bugs me the most is how autistic Spider-Man fans are. I mean, when he was announced in the MCU, people were rabid for him to be the post credits of AoU. Even after his film, people want to see "lots of Spider-Man" in the trailers for Infinity Wars. Hell, people on this site says that Spider-Man should hold off Thanos and Cap calls him "The greatest hero of all of them"

Just fuck off with this Spider-Man shit. He lost every fight he got into in Homecoming, and to suddenly have him be this mega badass? Fuck off.

I hate that shit. Having every little thing be a coincidence in a movie universe? It just makes things feel that much smaller and kinds of fucks you over in the future when you try to introduce new elements.

I think the idea of seeing how growing up in New York when there was a huge superhero battle would make a kid want to become a superhero. Maybe they didn't have to use Spider-man for it, but I'm not that disappointed in him being MCUified

I hated that we're supposed to congratulate him for the most heroic thing he's done being saving trillionaire Tony Stark's toys from a blue collar guy and ruining his family and alienating somebody he cares about.

I would have liked to see him try and get the Vulture to stop or maybe swing away with him after stopping him and tell him he has to stop and take care of his daughter or something a bit more heroic

this really is what sours homecoming for me, i still consider MCU spidey salvageable as long as they give his next movie more of a heart

dude, you realize those are probably ifunny 9gag reddit or facebook surfing 14 year olds right?

every character has fans like that it's just Spiderman is more popular so he has a larger quantity of them.

>disney shills don't watch their own movies
That is extremely unlikely, if only because MCU movies are actually popular.

are origin stories the new pot of greed?

>blue collar guy
Arms dealer. He was an arms dealer who was hoping to steal Stark's toys and sell them to criminals who had no idea how to use said weapons, which would have resulted in events like that convenience store blowing up happening on a wider scale. He wasn't doing this just to suck Tony's dick. Peter was doing this to make sure crooks wouldn't rob banks with thermal laser lances and powered armor.

Hey user, what does Pot of Greed do again?

Get you kicked out of tournaments cause it's banned

And I get that, it wasn’t wrong of Spidey to stop him I just feel like there could have been a more human, empathetic solution which would have really gone a long way in establishing the heart of the character. I just feel like we were supposed to see making Tony proud of saving his stuff as being his big climactic accomplishment.

The whole idea of Spider-Man being under the tutelage of Iron-Man is honestly baffling to me

>human, empathetic solution
he saved Vulture's life. Remember the last time a super hero saved the villain in the end? That didn't even happen in Raimi's trilogy.

Green Goblin died in an accident while Peter was struggling with trying to forgive him, Dr Octopus sacrificed himself and Peter just straight up let Sandman escape even after learning he’d killed his uncle and was aware of all of his robberies

The fact that all of Spiderman's villains conveniently killed themselves doesn't change the fact that he doesn't save them in the end. Vulture was nearly about to follow the same formula

Funny you say that because I honestly see Holland's Spiderman as the most "human" and "empathetic" depiction. I see him as someone that could actually exist in the real world. Meanwhile Maguire's Spiderman, god bless him, looked like a 30 year old in high school and was just the standard caricature of a movie dork. And than Garfield's was just a teenage heartthrob.

its almost like its integral to the character or something

It may come as a surprise to you, but there are these things called children that may not have been alive when the first movies came out.

Not my problem.

Nothing you said really has to do with empathy, besides I didn’t mean Peter himself necessarily being more deeply empathetic; i can safely assume they’re pretty much the same in that regard. I meant a demonstrably empathetic narrative thread which really kind of informed the character. And to me, it was just sort of mediocre at that I guess. I mean we weren’t really given a reason why he has any of Spider-man’s ideals. To me Tom Holland’s Spiderman feels more like he wears “Spiderman” as an aspect rather than actually embodying the character whole cloth.

I liked that he saved the Vulture but I mean that’s the bare minimum for Spider-Man pretty much.

And I did think it was a good movie but I felt like in terms of establishing Spiderman it was weak

There needed to have been an equivalent “heart” to establish the character though, especially considering this is the youngest we’ve seen him; those same lessons can’t be implied to have been in his past here

It wasn't constantly alluded but pretty much every important/milestone comic references Ben/his origin and/or festure May monologuing on his grave.

Let you kill two uncles ben

>The purpose is gone. He is just another generic hero for the sake of wanting to be famous and receive adoration
Holy headcanon, Batman!

Well this is a Spiderman that has already existed for 6-months before Civil War, a Spiderman that already lost Uncle Ben. I really don't think e.g. tacking on a Uncle Ben flashback for the first 10 minutes of the movie so we can see him die would make Spiderman more empathetic. People would just bitch about it, we've seen the Batman-esque "oh I lost someone I love so that automatically makes me a badass vigilante" backstory a bunch of times.

>When you can do the things that I can, but you don't... and then the bad things happen, they happen because of you.
>So you wanna look out for the little guy. You wanna do your part. Make the world a better place all that, right?
>Yeah. Yeah just looking out for the little guy. That's what it is.

That's all we needed.
And
>file related
I felt more emotionally-attached to Spiderman during that scene than any other movie-Spiderman moment. And than Spiderman refusing Tony's offer
>I'd rather just stay on the ground for a little while. Friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Somebody's got to look out for the little guy, right?
Shit like that makes me feel gooey inside. Like THAT'S Spiderman to me. Same with that one Garfield scene when he takes off his mask to comfort that kid in a dangling car. Raimi's films needed moments like those, Peter sort of turned into a generic superhero when he put on the suit.

I didn't really care for the movie because there are several instances where things could've been taken to the next level for me but they back down from anything actually happening almost immediately.
I would've loved seeing Peter get into all sorts of trouble at Liz's party. Trouble that's harder to get out of than the mandated bad guy encounter.
I would've loved for the quiz bowl team to have lost without him. So that they wouldn't immediately forgive him for no showing up
I would've loved for him to not drop a jet engine into a heavily populated neighborhood unless they were going to bring up how if he had just let the Vulture go there wouldn't have been a giant plane crash in Coney Island.
This movie keeps flirting with consequences and then letting Peter get away with mostly not dealing with them right away.
I prefer Spider-Man stories where he suffers a bit more and there's a bittersweet feeling about going about everything the next day.
But then again I never liked Holland's Spider-Man anyway. I'd prefer either an adult Spider-Man that's somewhere between Tobey and Garfield or a kid who can sell me on some pathos.
You can keep MCU Spider-Man. Not muh, I guess.

Yeah, it's BvS :)

I don’t necessarily mean uncle Ben I just mean something equivalent

It was a good movie but I didn’t find it compelling

>for the sake of wanting to be famous and receive adoration

>He is just another generic hero for the sake of wanting to be famous and receive adoration,
What the fuck? Did you actually watch the movie?

>This movie keeps flirting with consequences and then letting Peter get away with mostly not dealing with them right away.
But literally everything bad that happens in the movie is Peter's fault. There's not a single thing that goes right for him until the very very end of the movie

Bump.

>Bumping "Marlel is Bad" threads.

Spidey is a known trash talker as well. Would like to see that come of light.

This may also surprise you, but kids don't give a shit about comic accuracy.

Yes, and? Piss off, ratfucker.

/thread

The origin is there. Peter references his guilt in Civil War, and in Homecoming he has the same choice of letting the bad guy just get away, and it's clearly a tense moment. But shitposters will shitpost. Sup Forums threads should be banned.

You first, rabbitfucker

89, Begins and BvS did origin recaps.
Hulk's origin from 03 isnt the same as the one from Incredible.

The ducking Rain I movies should count as three uncle Ben killings since that was brought up in each movie as a major plot point. Then we get it again in Amazing

In Avengers #1, Iron Man asks Spider-Man if he's seen Hulk recently. Spidey tells Tony to fuck off hes got his own problems to worry about.

I didn't even watch the shit, but he had two origins already. Didn't really need another.