Make retailers jump through massive hoops to order Legacy lenticulars

>Make retailers jump through massive hoops to order Legacy lenticulars.
>Few retailers either can meet the requirements or want to even try.
>Put the lenticulars to open order status later and screw those who went through the risk and effort to get them.
Bravo Marvel.

Other urls found in this thread:

comicsbeat.com/marvel-layoffs-the-cheapskate-is-coming-from-inside-the-house-of-ideas/
comicsbeat.com/titling-at-windmillls-259-what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-marvel-comics-anyway/
bleedingcool.com/2014/10/07/chris-claremont-on-why-x-men-writers-arent-allowed-to-create-new-characters-now/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dance, Monkey! Dance!

That's my Mahvel!

inb4 DON'T YOU MEAN BASED MARVEL FOR GIVING ALL STORES A CHANCE TO ORDER THE SUPER HOT COVERS FUCK DC SHILLS AND DC BIAS SHOPS ON Sup Forums FUCK DC THEY SHOULD SHUT DOWN ALREADY ENJOY THAT BILLIONS AND BILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF MCU REEEEEE

the store I go to had boxes full of these

my lcs still hasn't sold out of all Rebirth #1s

I went to a little shit store when I was home for Christmas and they had hundreds in quarter boxes.

>Marvel try to fix some problems
>Stops jewing (as much) people for lenticular covers
>Still manage to fuck it up
Why doesn't marvel have competent business people, I mean they're owned by Disney, the literal embodiment of capitalism, shouldn't they know how to sell a product?

makes wonder if Diamond would try to sabotage them if they tried anything. though with a company as big as Disney backing them, you'd think they'd find a way to circumvent Diamond's monopoly.

I don't understand why the US government doesn't sit down and dissolve diamond, there is literally no other competition unless you count subscriptions people get from the publishers themselves. And even so, why hasn't another company popped up yet, you'd think given that people are so fed up with diamond they'd just form their own distribution company, maybe even one that would accuratly reflect the true amount of comics being sold

Those covers are shit. It's nearly impossible to make out either of the images 99% of the time as they just blend together.

My guess is Perlmutter.

Ike is a large shareholder and, by the way it seems, he must have complete control over how Marvel Entertainment operates.

>Disney, the literal embodiment of capitalism
Nigger, do you even Jewmutter?
comicsbeat.com/marvel-layoffs-the-cheapskate-is-coming-from-inside-the-house-of-ideas/

Because Diamond doesn't have a "real" Monopoly (in the sense that their existence doesn't prohibit the creation of new competitors). Comics are just a worthless market to invest in so nobody else is bothering. Besides, although Diamond is the only comics publisher, they're still competing economically with literally every other source of purchase able entertainment media. If you dissolved Diamond by way of government what you'd have is the government trying to artificially create competition by subsidizing another publisher's existence which wouldn't actually make it necessary to compete with Diamond (or rather it's remnant) at all.

I was under the impression Perlmutter only concerned himself with the movies(until they stopped him) and TV side, I thought he left all the bullshit up to everyone on the comics side which is why it went to shit with no true power structure

The guy literally mandated to take off F4 posters from Marvel offices just because he didn't like Fox had the film rights.

There's also the theory he pushed Inhumans because he saw it as some sort of analogy about Israel or some shit.

To be clear: the above is from 2011 when Jewmutter gutted the Editorial and they started going down the path of maximum short term gains.

This is from early last year ( by a dude who runs a chain of comic book stores ):
comicsbeat.com/titling-at-windmillls-259-what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-marvel-comics-anyway/

And really details the bullshit on the marketing side ( tiered pricing, required buy-in for variants, constant renumbers, endless Big Events, ect ) from the perspective of a store owner.

Basically you need to understand that Diamond is tracking BUY IN ( what stores have been ordering ) and not SELL THOUGH ( what they can actually push to the punters ).

Marble's been Jewing so hard that they've killed the Golden Goose ( or at least put the poor shmuck into the ICU ).

Since this pops in every thread about the comic industry I'll try to keep it brief. Comic books are legally considered books/magazines and there exist other book/magazine distributors, ergo the fact that Diamond is the comic distribution market is not a monopoly. Even if comic books were considered something distinct from books and magazines the fact that there are other distributors who could distribute comics but choose not to means that Diamond isn't a monopoly. Then there is the consideration that forcing Diamond to break up might make comic distribution insolvent and destroy the comic industry as a whole. As for why no one else has popped up, many comic companies have exclusive contracts with Diamond making it an iffy proposition for turning a profit.

>There's also the theory he pushed Inhumans because he saw it as some sort of analogy about Israel or some shit.
No, just that they didn't have the film rights:

bleedingcool.com/2014/10/07/chris-claremont-on-why-x-men-writers-arent-allowed-to-create-new-characters-now/

Inhumans were literally pushed as "not-Mutants" to avoid giving Fox the IP rights to new characters like Kamala Khan.

>Diamond isn't a monopoly because reasons.
Oddly most people who actually work in the industry don't see it that way.

It's a de facto monopoly, not a de jure monopoly.

Diamond is a de facto monopoly, which isn't illegal.

Diamond has exclusivity with some major publishers, and discount-matching and minimum sales policies with all small publishers. This is the norm in publishing. Diamond has discount tiers for retailers. This is part of every wholesale business, and isn't illegal.

Marvel tried and failed at self-distribution. It isn't economical to do it alone with comics, even if you were the largest comic publisher. High weight, low unit price, delicate handling, discounts that favor retailers, and no national comic chain all add up to one shitty business.

This feels a bit heavy handed

Those people just weren't around long enough to be owed money by FM and Cold Cut when they went down. They'd be singing a different tune.

Marvels' problem wasn't really economics, it was the fact that their distribution infrastructure was complete shit.

Diamond is still pretty much just contributing to the problem then making it better. When diamond goes under because the death spiral took it's toll. the big two will just become ip farms or pure digital.

Of course it's economics. It costs money to build and maintain good infrastructure, and have enough money in the bank to keep it operating through up and down markets. There isn't enough comic business being done to justify even big publishers doing self-distribution to 1500 independent shops.

They're fully returnable

Disney doesn’t give two squirts of monkey piss about the comic book part of marvel. They view any losses from them as part of marketing of the marvel movies. So long as they can push the movies, everything else can burn in a tire fire.

This was back in the 90s when there were far more comic shops. It was one of the reasons for the market crash. Actual management and resource issues aside, it probably could have worked if they attempted it during the heydey of the early/mid-90s.

>Diamond is still pretty much just contributing to the problem

The floppy business overall is the problem. At most, they are enablers.

Diamond doesn't make anyone do anything. They're only responsible for shipping things, and listing things in Previews. The only things remotely monopolist is happening at that bottom end of publishers, and it's clearly not what you guys are talking about.

Diamond is as beholden to the whims of the big 2 as retailers are. It isn't Diamond coming up with cover scams and the flood of number ones, that's Marvel. It wasn't Diamond that lost the manga market, it was retailers. At least blame them for the right shit, like increasing minimums and requiring UPC codes on comics, which kneecapped a bunch of indies.

>market crash

That's the point I was making. If their distribution can't survive a down market, what business do they have doing their own distribution?

I honestly doubt Rebirth #1 is returnable almost a full year after its release.

>make something hard
>people bitch
>make something easy
>people bitch
People seem to be the problem here

Gee I wonder why, it's like the market for comics is a bunch of angry faggots whom you can never please bitching on the net. You have one faction demanding to be pandered to, so they can pretend that they are important and included but never spend money on comics, and then a loyal fanbase that's dwindling slowly as getting into it is a shitfest at the moment and completely off putting.

You're retarded. The fact that they are fully returnable means that the retailers are CHOOSING to have a big stock of Rebirth #1s. WHich makes sense, its an easy recommendation to anyone trying to get into current DC.

The first 3 or 6 issues of every run were fully returnable for the first 3 months of the Rebirth launch.

Stop doing your dumb conspiracy theories, Diamond isn't the one who makes the decisions for what Marvel does. You can blame Diamond for a hell of a lot of things, but Marvel's decisions on the lenticular variants were their own doing.

>Being this fucking stupid
Maybe you're an intern damage controlling for Marvel but here's how it works:

-Marvel announces lenticulars variants
-catch is retailers have to order a certain amount of a title (more than a retailer can sell) to qualify to order them.
-Some retailers get mad and refuse to play the game.
-Others decide to play the game either because they believe it'd be good or they're desperate to make sure Marvel does well at their store, keep in mind they don't know what the final product will look like.
-Lenticulars arrive. Most barely even work at best, look like shit at worse. Some have demand but the excitement passes in less than a week. Stores that decided to play the game are stuck with unsellable comics.
-Now Marvel announces that the lenticulars can be ordered without having to order more on some unsellable title.
-Now they got the retailers who bought the variants mad.

Natural monopolies are good and just, like slavery.

Damn, Spongebob is savage.

>new IPhone cost 1000$
>people have to pay this if they want said phone
>after an allotted time the price drops
>retards assblasted that other people can now buy the phone for 950
You're some special kind of retard

>phone analogy
Soy must flow!

>Soy
You have to go back.

If you'd have to buy 5 iPhone 8s that you weren't going to use and can't resell to be elegible to buy an iPhone X at first, this analogy would almost work.

Higgins stop making threads about yourself

Somebody has to stop Ike!

Stan Lee, what are you waiting for?

Different user. I want to chop off your head
I really hope that you are baiting