Penance Stare

What would happen if Ghost Rider tried to penance stare another rider, like if Johnny Blaze tried it on Dan Ketch or something?

Nothing, because Penance Stare only works on generic mooks. Any time it should work otherwise, it just doesn't because reasons.

You know, we rarely talk about how broken Ghost Riders are

It happened in Jason Aaron's run before the Heaven on fire event. It was traumatic in both cases, specially Blaze, for a while he lost the will to even turn into the rider.

Forgot pic

And the other way around

thanks!

ive never read ghostrider accept for a brief crossover with the x-men about brood. is the penance stare anything like the carebear stare? didnt the penance stare not even work on the punisher and hes just a regular guy?

Could he penance stare himself with a mirror?

Frankbolts was fucking awful

>I don’t feel guilty about all the people I’ve killed
That’s not how it fucking works Frank!! It would have been better had the state not worked on him because of his time as an agent of heaven.

I’m not a big ghost rider fan how are they broken I thought they got beat a lot

basically the stare makes someone like a serial killer feel the pain of their innocent victims, how it works changes through different series though. Like in the comic where he tried to Stare the Punisher, it was implied the person getting stared at needs to feel some guilt/remorse for their actions for the stare to work and Frank has no regrets about killing criminals. Also Frank's never killed "innocent" people so it might not work because of that too. Other sometimes-altered rules are the person needs to have a soul for the penance stare to work, they can't be blind, and they can't be something like Hulk or a Symbiote that "inhabit" a possibly innocent host (although Carnage and Venom's host is an asshole so maybe it'd work)

>It would have been better had the state not worked on him because of his time as an agent of heaven.

Especially since they even made a joke about that in an earlier issue.

I might be wrong but I swear I remember someone holding up a mirror right before a penance stare and fucking up ghost rider with his own magic

It was blade, he threw a sword to block GR from giving the stare to Hannibal king.

He nearly killed Dr. Strange with it.

Well the Hulk has a smaller chance of having spilled innocent blood than Frank, I guess.

That's Blade movie levels of badass.

i think hulk has a greater chance to kill innocents than punisher. At least frank thinks and can aim his tools of death, Hulk just IS a mindless tool of death and destruction a lot of the time and could destroy a whole city of innocent peeple
the comic where ghost rider faces off with punisher isnt that great. my personal theory tho is the penance stare works 2 fold; on guilt and sin. if a remorseless sociopath kills a family of 5 and feels no guilt because hes crazy the stare would still work because he's spilled innocent blood, and oppositely if the rider wanted too for some reason i think he could successfully penance stare an innocent guy who killed a bad burglar but feels guilty for taking a life, so frank killing bad people and not feeling guilty makes him immune.

No one's theory about the penance stare matters because none of the authors remember how it works.
Blaze and Ketch are basically unkillable fire monsters. Robbie is a little different.

Robbie just received the same ability though. I think it'll be expanded upon in Infinity war. Or not.

Venom is immune

And here's Flash tanking it too

Are these Thunderbolts worth reading? I only read Luke Cage's.

As we saw in WWH, it wasn't that Hulk was immune, it was the rider found him justified in his war against the Illuminati and then Dr. Strange realized how absolutely fucked they were

It works on anyone who caused suffering to innocents, that's what it does, makes you feel their suffering. Frank's gloves are snow white.

Yea he didn't reflect it back, just redirected it, and gave GR a momentary headache