Why don't politics focus more on aesthetics...

Why don't politics focus more on aesthetics? When was the last time a politician ran on building beautiful new towns and cities? Not just new towns and cities but beautiful stuff that is nice to look at and be in?

I don't know but I think about this all the time too. Modern architecture is 100% focused on being cost effective and it's horrendous most of the time.

Well shit, I thought I recognized those buildings. I live 600m away from where that photo was taken.

beautiful shit costs more time and money than just fixing what we already have.
Infrastructure in the US is crumbling, I'm glad Trump wants to fix it

That probably smells like shit.

France certainly smells like shit.

It doesn't.

Its Canterbury, lovely little city

Because this is subjective, britbong
Please die.

Roger Scruton is a good source on this topic.

Because if they did they would end up building fugly retarded modern architecture. All that old shit was expensive relative to what we are prepared to pay today. If you want to build nice, old-fashioned shit, you've gotta increase tax. They do it in Germany though

A YUUUGGEE, BYOOTIFUL WALLL

That happens at the local level. People don't want to be taxed to make some other place look good.

Then they should increase tax. Beauty is the essence of life.

Because all politicians today are pro-growth neoliberals who only care about $$$ and not A E S T H E T I C S

What if they increase tax and build a load of stuff that is shit?

If only Trump had a proclivity for classical architecture. He could be a modern Medici and America could have cities like Florence.

Then hang them and build beautiful instread, only by the thread of murder can our greatest artists express our civilisation via architecture.

>Not living in York, Lincoln, Edinburgh, Oxford, Cambridge, Bath, etc.

I know I left several out, but if you're British and not living in one of the aesthetic cities, you're a pig person.

Because modem politicians and half the general public know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. And when they do try and focus on aesthetics, you get horseshit like pic related.

Personally I'm for reduction in regulations myself. This kind of low-density thing, which apes old-fashioned but still has all the modern regulations goes against what I like. Let people build whatever and wherever.

However, maybe there should be some kind of civic-building tax. I would like for people to vote for it as it would be alternately funny and effective (when people vote for the old shit instead of the shiny new shit)

I-I live in B-Birmingham pls send help

(Pic for foreigners)

Vote Green

Nature is beautiful

French people are gross burgerbro

Oh 'eck! I feel genuinely sorry for you.

Birmingham really gives the impression of that trashy kind of place that comes to mind when I think of 'Britain' rather than the kickass place I think when I think of 'England'.

What's the mudslime situation over there?

It's Paki central, heavily segregated by race and religion. It's fucking grim all around.

Agreed! We can make beautiful modern architecture, we just have to try! Marble columns and statues everywhere! Picture a marble columned base and then the next 100 floors are made of glass!

Describe it some more. What percentage do you see in the town centre, in your work, in your neighbourhood? Do they work? What is the general attitude towards them? Do they form ghettos with no english?

Local governments do focus on aesthetics.
In the US it's not within the power or concern of the federal gov

not everyone's got the same aesthetics m8. Modern and postmodern architecture is GOAT. personally I think Trump and his regressive conservatism is the least aesthetic admin in years.

My neighbourhood is all white but the city is probably half white British, 10-15% white eastern Euros and the rest a mix of mostly south Asians. Hindus and Sikhs are segregated but they work, go to Uni etc but Muslims tend to just sit on the dole shitting out 10 kids. There are black people who seem to work low skilled jobs but their children have started copying the black American culture 'yo yo nigga mate innit' it's really cringey.

I wouldn't say there is tension but a silent acknowledgment of us all wanting to stick to our own.

Pic is a big building in the city centre.

Building pretty stuff will contradict jew plot to make everything ugly.

it really is a damn shame most modern architecture is boring metal cookie cutter garbage
such a fucking shame, that picture looks cozy as fuck in comparison

We seriously need to get our fucking act together, otherwise the 21st century is going to leave almost no architectural heritage behind. We're destined to be angry little monkeys packed into dense arrays of concrete boxes.

Scruton for Emperor.

In ten years that thing is gonna be torn down. Thanks for the description

>All that old shit was expensive relative to what we are prepared to pay today.
False assumption. I can't find it, but there's a nice image floating around where the cost of an abominable modern arena is compared with the cost of a gorgeous palace of similar size (in real terms), and it ends up like 60x more expensive.

Modern architecture has never been cheap.

The only reason Bath still looks Real Fuckin' Nice despite being a city is because of stiff regulations.

Really nice. How is Russia such a shithole now?

You know how.

France is being overrun by niggers but you somehow managed to be the biggest nigger of them all

Did that factor in modern pay-rates, modern regulations and the need to get all kinds of studies etc. run? Because in those days they just paid a bunch of guys to build a building and hoped for the best. I don't have a problem with that really, but it's the reason why if you try to build something old today, it would be outrageously expensive

>Why don't politics focus more on aesthetics?
Man, I've been thinking this for ages.

How long has it been since a stone statue was built by the government?
Especially in my country where we have nothing.

God, if only.

RACIST!!

>Did that factor in modern pay-rates
Yes I said real terms.

probably because the rulers/elites dont live in their countries anymore / dont own them / dont care

and people are way too dumb to run something on their own, traditional culture is dead as well

Interesting...

>implying Birmingham doesn't have some decent architecture in the right places

Aesthetics are dead, modern art curriculums don't teach anything other than "be yourself" and "be degenerate". No one can even build a simple nicely proportioned house anymore.

Trump.

Trump tower.

Doing interviews and meetings from inside his rooms clad in golden victorian era style.

wut?

Ah, Masjid al-Furqan. A beautiful piece of traditional Birmigham architecture.

It's as dumb as cost effectiveness.
Steel, concrete and glass are cheaper than wood or bricks, you can build faster with them and they are less vulnerable to inevitable wear and fires.

Typically the houses on this picture asks for their roofs to be remade every 20-30 years, the planks and beam will need to be changed at one time or another too.

Needs are different too, the building during the ancient times were aimed at keeping the cold outside and the warm inside and isolaton technologies were bad, so you couldn't build windows everywhere.
Today we emphasis a lot more about the light, isolation isn't really hard to achieve and people want luminosity in their interiors.

Europe, explain this.

Fucking hell you bunch of Luddites, where is Howard Roark when you need him?

luv this

Nicely done Sweden

Nigga this isn't fuckin animal crossing

The Romans made masterpieces with concrete. Up to the 20th century people made beautiful houses with stucco facades. The recipe for Coade Stone is public. Cast stone is cheap. Classical architecture is formulaic and all the elements and patterns are easily reproduced and composed. Moulds are easy to make. Hauling moulded pieces into place is as easy as hauling any other prefabricated artifical stone.

We've got all the materials, and we've got the budget, but for some reason these kikes see fit to build monstrosities and tacky boxes.

>when minecraft comes to real life

BRUTALISM MASTER RACE

Lefties want affordable housing and Righties want the free market to build everything.

Who the fuck is going to be promising cute little houses that won't even house 12 immigrants in them?

Such is life in modern society

>brualism

vomit desu