Anyone have any suggestions for good plot-based webcomics? Finished ones are fine too

Anyone have any suggestions for good plot-based webcomics? Finished ones are fine too.

Currently reading Stay Still Stay Silent (pic related), Poppy O'Possum and Gunnerkrigg Court. Probably will catch up on Templar, Arizona soon too.

Other urls found in this thread:

stbcomic.com/
viciousprint.com/6commando/
all-night-laundry.com/
sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=549
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Poppy Opossum
Isn't that dead? Hasn't had an actual update for a month.

I've never been good at finding quality webcomics, but Riceboy is good.

>Isn't that dead? Hasn't had an actual update for a month.
I dunno, I just read through all of it this week. I'll check out Riceboy.

Oh and I've read Digger which was also pretty good. Nice world-building.

it's ok if i shill my shit? i started it yesterday and need readers / players. it's quest type webcomic.
stbcomic.com/

Absolutely. Found it an hour before posted though - looks interesting. Hope you keep it up.

i am trying to do live update right now. people aint suggesting tho.

Kill 6 billion demons is also a good one that you want to check out.

I've always been partial to Zebra Girl, it's on the final stretch. When I first started reading I had a bitchin' (for the time) 19'' CRT. It was so dark that I couldn't see the monsters in the shadows (pic related).

Nodwick: fun, but serialized, so don't look for much of an overarching plot.
Guilded Age: overarching plot. Swords, sorcery and some sci-fi mixed in.
Skullkickers: equivalent of an action movie with an okay plot rolled in. Similar mix as Guilded Age.
Spacetrawler: good sci-fi that starts out comedic and adds drama as it goes.
Terinu: sci-fi with the feeling of an 80's B&W comic. Edgy teenage protagonist and some "dark secrets" that aren't too suprising.
The Noob: it has a plot, I think. Mostly in jokes about MMO's.
Trying Human: bi-polar characters everywhere! Aliens are secretly visiting earth!
8 Bit Theater: 8-bit characters breaking the 4th wall and killing things.
Darken: high fantasy, not the best art but it carries through and has good cohesion.
Goblins: it will never end. I stopped reading that in 2011. I feel old now.
Order of the Stick: stick figures march through a progressively grimmer D&D campaign, with comedic relief from special guest Evil.
The Gods of Arrkelaan: brewer is now a godly position.

Well, it wasn't very clear what we were supposed to suggest. You need to present use with an actual goal. Present us with some possible choices and then give room for freeform suggestions once the plot is more developed?

>Guilded Age
Looks interesting.
>Skullkickers
Whoah, extremely nice art.

>The Noob
Read that way back in high school. Is it still going and if so, is it good?

>Goblins
I've seen this mentioned a lot before. It's one of those comics that really pick up after a couple of chapters right?

>It's one of those comics that really pick up after a couple of chapters right?
No.

Yeah, Goblin's felt the same the whole time I was reading it, but the whole time I was reading it there were different subplots. It could very easily have conglomerated since then.

The Noob is on Hiatus / has finished. I don't know which because I haven't looked into it in a while.

A new budding sci-fi comic is Outsider. It started years ago, was steady until page ~90, then took a few year hiatus. It started up again in 2017.

Alright. I'll be checking it out. Dunno where to even start with all these great suggestions.

>The Noob is on Hiatus / has finished. I don't know which because I haven't looked into it in a while.
I don't even remember when I stopped reading it, but I think it got stale after a while. There are only so many MMORPG things you can joke about.

Oh and I'm also reading Bird Boy. Has some really interesting character/environment designs.

>I'll be checking it out.
Please don't.
Goblins is awful.

Who's the shill above me?

I recommend Scurry, pic related.
Also Derelict, just the first volume - its ending was satisfying enough.

Can't forget the good old doctor.

Schlock Mercenary: Travel the galaxy, meet fascinating lifeforms and kill them
Freefall: Hard scifi dealing with evolution of AI in a distant planet.
The Challenges of Zona: CGI comic about a random dude who is taken from Earth and dropped into a fantasy setting. Contains fetish fuel.
Next Town Over: Weird west comic that's mostly about an outlaw being chased by a weird technomancer.
The Digger: A comic about an entirely sensible opossum who dug into a patch of magic and ended up halfway across the world. Finished.
The Night Belongs to Us: Vampires and werewolves, modern gothic setting, deals with a girl who was bitten by a werewolf.
Scurry: Humans disappeared, animals gained sapience. The art is pretty, the writing is kind of meh.
Stick in the Mud: A man gets drunk, buys a bar, discovers it contains a portal to the nether realms. Decides to focus on keeping the bar running anyway.
Widdershins: Made by the same guy who wrote Darken, a fantasy comic set in Victorian England. Nice worldbuilding.
Daniel: This one is just creepy.

I WISH I could forget about him. That way I might be able to enjoy the good parts again without having to remember how bad it became.

Please compress your images before uploading them to your site, for the sake of readers if not your own bandwidth costs: the first PNG was 7.5 MB and compresses losslessly to 1.2 MB.
That 20 MB GIF converts to an almost artifact-free 62 KB webm related.

>almost artifact-free
Ok, I uploaded the crap compression, should be this 671 KB webm.
>The Digger
I'll second this, even though I haven't finished reading it.
>Widdershins
Also good.

Thanks for the summaries and descriptions!

I've tried searching in forum posts and such for suggestions and most of those and the rest suggested in the thread never came up.

Of yours I've only read Digger. It was pretty great. I liked how the protagonist travels back and forth between locations rather than being part of a group moving from one new place to the next. And also it was very immersive.

Unsounded, if you want high fantasy world building goodness. Though if you have a problem with gore or precocious children you better not.

Doesn't it barely update at all or am I misremembering?

It updates on a regular M-W-F schedule, but takes long breaks between chapters, usually a couple months. Chapters are usually a few dozen pages long, the most recent one, chapter 12, was 101 pages, so one of the longer ones. I think she times her hiatuses for around the holidays, so for most of the year she's updating regularly. Sometimes she even does bonus pages, so instead of 3 pages a week we get 4 or 5.

Overall I've found Ashley to be one of the more reliable webcomic authors in terms of work ethic and consistent output. She's never once missed a deadline.

>It started up again in 2017
what's with 2017 and hiatus'd things coming back?
it's been insane

>The Digger
>Opossum
*Wombat

>good plot-based webcomics
6commando
viciousprint.com/6commando/

Alfie

i switched to JPEGs. how do i make the WEBM? i started recently with the web... this is first time i am doing this.

From the author's comments earlier it appears he lost his job and got the time to write more. Each page appears to be traditional drawings overlaying computer generated images.

Way back, and we are talking a long time here, he criticised Demonology 101 (well worth reading!) for sloppy art. So he cannot compromise on his own.

>how do i make the WEBM?
ffmpeg

No rss feed?

All Night Laundry is terribly underrated
all-night-laundry.com/

>I've tried searching in forum posts and such for suggestions and most of those and the rest suggested in the thread never came up.
It baffles me that I almost never see Schlock Mercenary recommended anywhere, because it's honestly pretty great.

Forgot the image

Star Power
The Night Belongs to Us

Now THIS looks to be right up my fuckin' alley.

>tfw there will never be a Hammers Slammers webcomic, cartoon, video game or live action movie

Sup Forums keeps saying Stand Still Stay Silent is good but never talks about it, so it can't be that good.

>how do i make the WEBM
use "webm for bakas". First render a high quality video with as little compression as possible then run it through that.

It is absolutely fucking great.

Because we like to bitch about things...and there's nothing to bitch about in SSSS...it's fucking awesome....AND SAD.

there's been threads since 2014 tho, they're just rare as fuck and terribly shortlived
barely anything to bitch about, no internet drama, no apparent political orientations
nice worldbuilding, but discussion got stale pretty fast, no fantrolls or anything for autists to latch on forever
slow paced as fuck, despite the 4 a week update schedule (used to be 5 a week), so can't run a thread every update, less so a general
lack of waifuism or drawfag interest even less reason for autists to latch on

there was a storytime of the entire thing this summer, lasted three threads, which proved quite more successful than usual, so watch for a chapter storytime when the current chapter ends I guess. might be a good time to discuss the recent kickstarter for book 2 too

>used to be 5 a week
That is just absurd relative to the art quality.

rice-boy ; a series of long stories (439/744/currently at 890) set in the same pure fantasy world (NO homo sapiens). slides between whimsy and fantastic realism depending on the story.
erfworld ; pen-and-paper rpg / table-top strategy themed 'portal fantasy'/'isekai'. mix of sherlock holmes 'singular genius solution to seemingly absolute chaos' schtick and fantasy-ethics/philosophy/science worldbuilding. lots of pure prose updates filling out between the comic pages. some thousands of pages so far, and multiple novels worth of writing.
feast for a king ; honestly the writing is pretty messy but it's got good sex and violence and low-brow humor in a pretty fascinating scifi/(body)horror scenario and it's art improvement is really something to behold. be aware the website is broken and you have to manually enter page numbers for the most recent few hundred pages (currently over 4200).
unsounded ; mopy grimdark magically enslaved unwilling-lich / chaotic neutral redneck 'princess of thieves' rat-tailed loli (who was a Sup Forums flavor of the month) doing adventure in a pretty high fantasy world. currently at many hundreds of pages.

First time I've ever seen Schlock mentioned on Sup Forums by anybody other than me. Seriously good shit.

>no internet drama
Tumblr and the fan forum lost their shit two years ago over a translation error that sounded racist. The author's a Finn and she got death threats over an honest mistake when she's not even a native English speaker. Otherwise it's all good, that incident still pisses me off though.
Yeah, Minna's a fuckin machine.

I used to get some decent SSSS discussion on 8/co/ but I haven't been there in ages, don't know what it's like now.

Good time to get started and catch up too since it's FUCKING FINALLY almost coming back.

You just made my day user.

Ashley has missed updates before but she's had damn good reasons to do so.
Not "muh wrist hurts" or some stupid shit like that

>internet drama
What was this and where was I when it was going down

sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=549
"Kung fu" was originally "ching chong." Comments section lost their shit, response from the author at the bottom and on the next page.

One of her recent excuses was "a category 3+ hurricane damn near directly hit the city I live in and am without power" to give it some perspective.

>how do i make the WEBM
hasn't that stopped development?
I use the WebM for Retards linked from t/wsg/'s Anime threads: Direct link: gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter
Also, for bulk image lossless compression I use FileOptimizer by Guti, but there's also imagemagick for Linux
>Schlock mentioned
I sometimes include it in lists of recommended webcomics, but sometimes I leave it out if I feel it won't fit what requester is looking for.
I also like but rarely mention, Space Trawler, pic related, a kind of comicdrama space opera.

So I made this chart awhile ago full of recs, but I'm pretty sure most of them don't meet the demand of plot based, or that you already read them, so I'll just list the few that fit your criteria the best.

Graveyard Quest by KC Green is a finished story about a grave digger going through hell to find his mother's bones. Its not too long a read but its one of my personal favorites.
Kill 6 Billion Demons was shilled earlier, its an ongoing fantasy comic that has a complete shit town of world building, super easy to just get lost in.
Vattu/Rice Boy are both great stories written by the same author. Rice Boy is finished, and Vattu is ongoing. Both fantasy in a nicely built world.
17776 isn't strictly a webcomic, but more of a multimedia experience written for a sport site about "what if humanity suddenly stopped aging, and couldn't die" but fast forwarded to the year 17776. I really love this one.
The Man of Many Shades is one of my favorite ongoings. Its about a man who is trapped inside the world of a little girl's drawing. Its drawn with crayon kinda simplistic. I found it easy to get over, but it may rub some people the wrong way.

>no apparent political orientations
hahahahaha

Going to second next town over, definitely worth a read. The art is fucking gorgeous, especially how the borders for the panels often take into account the pages topic, like the edges of photographs for flashbacks, clockwork cogs for building pages, etc.

Spellcross: a funny little webcomic, done by a guy from Sup Forums, lots of manga/anime tropes but it's got an interesting world.

Endstone: just coming back from a hiatus, reminds me of that old cartoon thundarr the barbarian, society coming to terms and explaining technology as magic in a world that is recovering from an ancient disaster.

The plot is a little convoluted, I had to re-read to see what was really happening. In a good way.

>Graveyard Quest
Read that one as well. I really like it too. You should also probably check out He is a Good Boy if you liked Graveyard Quest.

>17776
This is trippy as heck.

Explain, please.
You got me curious.