Has an author ever essentially recreated a concept as a sort of reboot, because they didn't have the rights...

Has an author ever essentially recreated a concept as a sort of reboot, because they didn't have the rights, or full rights to said concept?

Like, essentially using the same elements, but under another IP.

How did it go? How legal is that?

It seems the creators of Marvel's Miss America did that.

Comics are chock full full of that sort of thing. From Watchmen to the various Superman clones.

Oh yeh. i'm surprised I didn't think of that.

Where do you even start? GI Joe has it's roots as a rejected SHIELD comic. Wasn't 50 Shades some fanfic retooled into OC? TMNT's Foot Clan and Daredevil's Hand. The legion of Superman clones at Marvel: Sentry, Gladiator, Hyperion, Blue Marvel. The root origins of all comics from the Golden Age was basically a bunch of Jews barely skirting copyright infringement against each other.

Now that I think about it my wuestion was maybe kinda dumb. Although I'm sure some of those things ended up in court didn't they?

Yup. Joe Casey and Nick Dragotta were planning on release their own version of Ms America called "America Vazquez" on Image, since there were no foreseeable plans on Marvel of making anything for her beyond team books. This was back in 2016, but it got quietly phased out, I'm assuming becaria Marvel put their foot down or threatened to sue.
(For those who don't know, they were the original creators of America Chavez, back in the Vengeance mini).

>Marvel put their foot down or threatened to sue.
This is the part that interests me.

Whzt grounds someone would have to sue.

I'm guessing enough similarity between the characters would be enough grounds for a sue. In the case of All-America Comix, it looks like she was the original version of the character in all respects except for the last name, judging by the descriptions. It's like they were playing her closer to some Wonder Woman kinda girl, which is concidentially the sort of heroine Ms. America was gonna be, what with the Stars and Stripes costumes and all.

There was Destroyer Duck. Gerber even managed to work out a way to replace Howard in Marvel comics with a clone and take the real one back to his creator owned stuff.

>I'm guessing enough similarity between the characters would be enough grounds for a sue.
I think the problem with Casey was that downright stated in interviews that he was remaking his America , and that's what fucked him up, that's lawsuit bait right there.
You gotta be careful what you say and what you don't in these businesses.

Yeah, he should've kept that quiet. It's no wonder that they all feel silent shortly after that, all that's left is old articles promoting an early 2017 release that never happened.

>creating characters for Marvel in the first place

Frankly, I don't get it. It's an open door to feeling stupid and bitter. Especially if your character grows ultra successfull.

Like MacFarlane said : you don't even get the t-shirts you design.

It's the best way to get fans who will check out your creator owned stuff. Plus you can still get royalties from them in other media.

>you can still get royalties from them in other media.
not much, though

I think the most famous example of what you're looking for is DC suing the original creators (timely?) of Captain Marvel because he was a rip-off of Superman. There's a lot of stuff out there about it shouldn't be hard to find.

Well at least I assume Starlin is getting some royalties for his Thanos by Marvel Studios, but I have no clue if Hickman or Opeña are getting anything for creating The Black Order. And that's the litmus test for big paychecks over creating relevant characters.

Hi Todd. How's the hockey team?

Marvel royalties are notoriously very low. Unless they specifically use your character in the title, you get paid a pittance.

Wein, who created Wolverine, got more money from DC for the side-character Lucius Fox (Nolan trilogy) than he did in every movie featuring Wolverine (X-Men 1,2,3, Wolverine Origins, The Wolverine)

>Marvel royalties are notoriously very low. Unless they specifically use your character in the title, you get paid a pittance.
>Wein, who created Wolverine, got more money from DC for the side-character Lucius Fox (Nolan trilogy) than he did in every movie featuring Wolverine (X-Men 1,2,3, Wolverine Origins, The Wolverine)

That's Fox, but no need to let reality get in the way of shitting on a company you hate.

The family of Bill Mantlo (creator of Rocket Racoon) has stated publicly that Marvel Studios has been extremely generous, but Marvel's never really discussed it. His brother, Michael, said "Bill was treated in an exceptionally fair manner by Marvel/Disney, and on his behalf I can say with the utmost confidence that we are very pleased with the negotiated contract. And, unbeknownst to ALL, Marvel has made incredibly generous gestures apart from this particular contract (which ONLY pertains to the rights to the character Rocket Raccoon) to assist in Bill's ongoing care & rehabilitation."

Jim Starlin (creator of Thanos) has said, "Yes, Marvel Entertainment has treated me very well and generously. Them I like.” His main complaint is with Marvel Comics, specifically Tom Brevoort.

Judging by this, it should be expected that both Hickman and Opeña have been well treated... Or at least I would hope, he didn't say anything about it, he only said he was pleased to see their collective creation on the big screen.
I would ask, but I'm sure he would ignore me, he mostly just talks about sports.

*chess club