Would you consider code lyoko to be cyberpunk? Also, code lyoko thread

Would you consider code lyoko to be cyberpunk? Also, code lyoko thread

Not really. Cyberpunk is an ascetic both inside and outside the virtual world and the show only has it inside - and even then it's a bit iffy.

Nah it's more like distypic futurebecause the cities and such are like ours

Code Lyoko is as much cyberpunk as much as PAW Patrol is mecha.

Probably not close to cyberpunk. Maybe something else?

kek

tronpunk

It is just sci-fy

Aelita is cute!

Indeed.
As for the show being cyberpunk, I guess you could call it a variant where it's literally about cyberspace, but that's about it. The real world was just a normal one.

Rebootpunk

It has cyberpunk elements like evil computer trying to kill everyone

Pretty sure that's just a Sci-fi trope in general. I mean, Alien sure as hell isn't cyberpunk, and it had a computer that was willing to let humans die for the sake of capturing the alien.

Does that make 2001: A Space Odyssey Cyberpunk as well?

Matrixpunk.
Was Matrix cyberpunk?

Funny those are all mentioned, given CL did seem to borrow elements from all three in a way. It was like all three in that there's a world inside a computer system, but more so like Tron given how it blended the computer elements with a semblance of a real world. But like the Matrix, the characters could go in and out on a whim, but could perish inside if they weren't careful. Meanwhile, the villain was like a cross between the Machines and the MCP, just without any understanding of humans and their deeper capabilities.

If the series were to be given a reboot, what would be a good name for it?
Code Lyoko Reloaded seems a bit too cliché. I do think something like Reformatted could be a neat name to denote a reboot as well as a retelling of the story that was better polished.

>Was Matrix cyberpunk?

It was heavily inspired by Neuromancer and GitS, so you tell me.

It helped popularize cyberpunk elements like evil amoral corporation

Pretty sure a few films and books had done that long before Alien

Cyberpunk itself has taken on a lot of broader meanings as literature and technology have evolved. This is partially because "punk" itself has sort of lost meaning over time. Code Lyoko doesn't really have the trappings of cyberpunk, but it does contain a crucial man vs machine vs nature vs man conflict (especially with what we learn about Franz Hopper's past and Xana/Carthage's creation).

So is it "traditional" cyberpunk? No. Is it modern cyberpunk? Sure. Is it good? I like it

Also for what it's worth, a not-quite-old rec guide lists Code Lyoko. Pic related, not sure I'd agree with several things on there though.

Evolution

Obligatory.

He'd definitely rather not talk about this.

After he quits the team to be a full-time defender of the school, yea.

KEK

Always thought the art style was shit. If there were to be a reboot I'd like to see better art.