Best Marvel Comics to Start Reading

Alright, I've given in to the hype and decided to start reading comics, what Marvel series would you recommend?

Ones published by DC.

You mean in general or just currently running/recent stuff?

You're being a bit broad, OP. Any series or character you interested in?

I should have clarified, current stuff. I plan to start up now and probably grab some back issues to start off with Legacy, which I am given to understand is a soft-core re-boot

I know DC is beating Marvel in the comics department, but honestly I can only be pumped for one company at a time and the MCU has hooked me

Here are a few entertaining titles Post Secret Wars

>Illuminati
>The Vision
>Carnage
>Spider-Man and Deadpool
>Squadron Surpreme
>Hyperion
>Scarlet Spider
>Venom
>All New Guardians of the Galaxy
>All New Wolverine

Captain Marvel seems cool in concept, as does the New Wolverine and Miss Marvel.

Just writing this I realise I'm a waifu fag so go with that I guess

Currently running books that I'm enjoying are:
>Cates' Doctor Strange
>Cates' Thanos
>Unbelievable Gwenpool
>Black Bolt
>Falcon
>Duggan's Guardians of the Galaxy (originally called All-new Guardians of the Galaxy, got renamed to just GotG when Legacy happened)
>Waid's Captain America
>Marvel Two-in-One (only one issue out so far, but it was a promising first issue)

As for some books that have ended but came out fairly recently and are worth checking out:
>Vision
>Ewing's Ultimates/Ultimates^2
>Conway's Carnage
>Foolkiller

>which I am given to understand is a soft-core re-boot
All else aside, this is almost completely false despite what Marvel might claim. Every year they do a "relaunch" to try and convince people all their books are at a perfect jumping on point for new readers, but this is the least true its been for any of their relaunches in recent memory. Outside of a handful of books like Marvel Two-in-One and Moon Knight, the rest are just continuing stories that either started with Marvel NOW 2, All-new All-Different, or for a few of them, even earlier than that.

I'd say worry less about Legacy itself, since it's just a hollow marketing attempt to save a bunch of books with low or middling sales, and rather just go with wherever the current creative team picked up the book. For example, the current Thanos ongoing had a writer change at #13 (as part of Legacy, admittedly), so you're good to go to just start there. On the other hand, Gwenpool has had the same writer since the first issue, so you're better off starting at the first issue there.

Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows

The current Captain Marvel run is trash. She had a pretty good run as part of All-new All-Different, but it got derailed by Civil War II (which was garbage) and then replaced with the current run. If you want some well written Captain Marvel, you're better off checking out Ewing's Ultimates/Ultimates^2 which was a team book she was part of that just recently ended. Great comic though.

I personally don't like the current All-new Wolverine ongoing very much, but I know some people that swear by it, so maybe give it a shot. Tastes will always vary, and all that.

Outside of a few weak arcs (the shitty CWII arc in particular), the Ms. Marvel ongoing is pretty consistently good. One thing to be aware of is that the book got relaunched half-way through. You want to start at the beginning with that one since it's all done by the same writer, so for that you'll want to read:
>Ms. Marvel 1-19 (2014-2015)
>Ms. Marvel 1-current (2015-now)
Most recent issue of the current volume is #25.

And yes, renumberings like this happen here and there with Marvel and they're usually bullshit that does nothing but make explaining this shit more complicated because #1s sell more.

Tales of Suspense
Marvel Two In One
Runaways
Avengers: No Surrender (starts this upcoming week)
Black Bolt

>I'm a waifu fag so go with that I guess
Then you definitely want to check out Unbelievable Gwenpool. It's some prime waifubait.

Eh, as much as I'm loving Runaways, I wouldn't recommend it to a new reader. The whole comic is pretty much contingent on you already being familiar with and invested in the characters.

America.

It's the quintessential current Marvel comic series.

DC is going to be rolling out their own Marvel knockoffs soon, so might as well check them out instead of giving Marvel cash and supporting their current dumb practices

That's fair. It's actually good though. user storytimed the Molly issue and I went out and bought all four that've been released so far. I cant believe it.

Even I know this is bait

I flipped through that and it may actually be 2waifu4me. It's like pure, undistilled waifu bait. America has officially entered to cute girl war with Japan

I hate this numbering bullshit, what can't they just go Invincible Iron Man #87 with subscript Invunurable Iron Man #4. Boom, problem solved. It's like they're trying to confuse new readers

This but unironically.

I love it too but you are correct. I would say the same about Thor 700+ which has really great parts but it's a lot of continuity that links to shitty parts that i wouldn't recommend

Rogue and Gambit only has one issue but it's well written and has pretty art. Low entry point if you watched any of the cartoons.
Soules Astonishing X-Men started really strong but is just ok now, could pick up again though.
Cates Thanos is a must.

I'm pumped for Terrifics and Immortal Men

>just go Invincible Iron Man #87 with subscript Invunurable Iron Man #4
They've tried dual-numberings before, and it really didn't help.

Oh yeah, it's easily the best Runaways book since BKV's run. I went in expecting to hate it, and I was blown away. But it's very much a love-letter to Runaways fans, as opposed to a book to get people to start reading Runaways.

Fpbp

The decompression in Astonishing X-men is just way to fucking severe. We're about to enter issue 8 and they're STILL in London.

I am super hype for No Surrender. I went back to reread Memender's short Secret run & Uncanny through Duggan/Zub and Ewing's whole Avengers run, starting with Mighty. I'd like that faggot a lot more if he didnt have such a hard on for villainizing his political opponents. There's some crack about Ayn Rand in every issue, jesus christ.

I'm also unironically hype for No Surrender.

What exactly is tales of suspense? Who does it follow?

Hawkeye and Winter Soldier. Only one issue is out so far but it was pretty good.

Winter Soldier and Hawkeye investigating Black Widows supposed resurrection. It's only a 5 issue mini.

Oh hell that actually sounds really cool.

Does anyone have anything more to say on New Wolverine or opinions on Spider-Gwen (I fucking love her costume)

If it sells they'll keep it going. Which it might, that was a good first issue.

99% of the appeal of Spider-gwen is her costume.

>Not a single person has said The Platoon

Punisher: Platoon is the only must read of the current stuff. Spiderman RYV is alright so far if you are familiar with 80's/90's era marvel.

Royals

AN Wolverine is pretty good, I’ve got it on my pull list with Venom, Spider-Man and Deadpool and Renew Your Vows

>Illumanati
>Carnage
>Venom

Illuminati is questionable, I’m just a sucker for villain books
Venom is VERY hit or miss, thankfully I’m not triggered by Lee and the direction that Eddie has been taken in
Carnage is just fucking awesome, 16 issues of Carnage, Toxin, Werewolf By Night, The Darkhold and the Dwarf, fucking Lizard Frog Women and an Elder God? Yes, so much fucking yes