What went wrong?

What went wrong?

I couldn't masturbate to it.

Isn't that the go to excuse?

That issue
The one nobody and everyone points to and nothing else despite it being years since it was published
You know the one

*nobody lets go

He eyes look fucking dumb

Jason Aaron is a lot like Bendis, in that his writing is super masturbatory.
They both have a fixation on using pet characters which are then forced into everything they write, regardless of it fitting thematically or even to make sense within the context of the story.
I don't even think either of them are bad writers, they just need editors to kick them in the nuts when they suggest stupid shit which hasn't been happening with either of them for years now.

A wasted opportunity. They should have included way more valkyrie and sif, since it's such a female centric comic.

This. I tried reading the first issue but once it got to the part with the newscaster I couldn't keep reading. It was all bendis speak from there.

Fuck I wanted to like this book.

She was more boring than her supporting cast. I literally could not care about her after her way more compelling side characters

probably one of the coolest concepts in comics.

>has cancer
>can turn into superhero but it wipes out your chemo progress

The problem is they made her an angry personality-less turboclitler

It should have been Sif

This.

Natile Portman lost interest

they should have never picked her. she was too old for the roll

>fury whispers something (gorr is right) to make thor unworthy
>odin can't just take the hammer himself despite always having ultimate control over it
>they leave the hammer alone on the moon
>jane somehow gets up there to take it
>this whole mystery takes years to finally get explained (i don't eve know if jane being on the moon was explained)
>creel makes a legitimate argument about whor using thor's name when she should have her own and even past stories with jane as thor she goes by the name thordis
>creel is supposed to be in the wrong
>titania, a villain who beat up she-hulk in her first appearance, gives up because of female pride
>"she who bore you best"
>whor is constantly talked up as being better than thor

I didn't like it but I wasn't a big Thor fan so I gave it a shot. I really did. I check in everyone once in a while and I just can't care for her. She should've gotten the Thunderstrike/BRB treatment and got her own hammer but we all know the deal. Marvel wanted to diversify and have a female Thor but knew they needed his name on the cover to sell the comics. So they pretended it was a title and had Thor just ditch his name.

BUT WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST TURN THOR INTO A WOMAN

It's been done before, actually fits Norse mythology craziness, and Marvel would have a transgender Thor which is twice as SJW positive than just a female.

It was predicated on a badly conceived notion of That's sudden and unexplained lesser worth.

They wasted their time making statements instead of stories.

They wasted the opportunity for new ground by retreating old events.

this

Recast, easy work for Marvel

Remember how it fucked up Crusher Creel and Titania's power couple status? They are the only married couple in Marvel that are genuinely in love and this shit almost destroyed it. Thank fuck Red Hood's Illuminati and Black Bolt fixed it.

u cant have straight married couples in numarvel any more

>tfw Vision/Wanda
>tfw Vihz gets his second family destroyed too

fuck marvel, you don't cuck a robot you just don't.

At least they are ignoring that 'Absorbing Man is a rapist and has a rape kid' piece of shit from Secret Warriors.

waaaaaattttt

As much as I hate current Secret Warriors, the original ones sucked too because of the excessive edge.

>What went wrong
She isn't on my dick

Jason Aaron is Marvel's Scott Snyder. They're both capable writer, but decide to fill up their capeshit with stuff that they find "cool".

>This

She wasn't relatable because her problems were her fault.
She refused Asgardian healthcare but accepted Asgardian superpowers that fuck up American healthcare.
It made absolutely no sense

It went wrong when they decided she had not merely inherited the power of Thor, but his identity.

Whoever came up with that is a dangerous fool and should be fired.

>Excuse

No, dear. Would you like me to mansplain to you why this decision is so impopular with comic book fans?

It's female Thor, and thus BETTER than Thor!

Jason Aaron tends to always go for the whacky extreme for a laugh a lot mroe than Bendis. Where Bendis would have something like
"I bought Area 51"
"YOU BOUGHT AREA 51!"
"It was for sale"
"Everyone! Iron Man bought Area 51!"

Jason Aaron would have something like.
"Hey bub. I just fought an army of Elvis Clones so I can get the last beer from the fridge."

Also, did we ever find out what that female SHIELD agent did to get a river named after her in the future? Roz I believe?

i think because she's a nurse

she shouldn't replace the original and just be another Thor like BRB, that could work better

It should have been Angela. I STILL don't understand why they went this way.

- Thor is rendered unworthy. Okay. Okay.
LEAVE THE HAMMER ON THE MOON for at least a few years. Make it an Event when the Worthy One comes to pick it up.
- Alternatively, send Thor on a long journey to find himself worthy again (in his own eyes). No matter what, don't strip him of his name and identity, because that is unbelievably demeaning and insulting.
- Angela had been recently introduced to the Marvel universe, and outed as Aldrif, just a while before. Make her the new 'Thor'. She's not called Thor, she doesn't have or need a hammer, she is her own person... but she wants to find out more about her true self, and she wants to protect those weaker than herself. In this quest, she frequently bumps into the weaknesses of mortals, but she gradually learns to handle it, JUST LIKE THOR DID back in the day.
- Let her join the Avengers, or let her not join the Avengers, but make it a point. Don't just ignore it and in the name of all that is holy don't just throw her in with the parody of the Guardians of the Galaxy Bendis gave us.
- Have Angela and Thor team up at least once.

I feel the very worst-case scenario has occurred. And we are being told to like it by the idiots in charge of Marvel, or else we're sexists.

The thing Marvel didn't get is that "Once you go SJW, you can't go back without massive blowback."

And here's the problem when you change a character like this.
A) If the idea fails, you unfortunately can't change them back cause you get called out on it.
B) You can't have anything bad happen to said characters, cause then they will get mad.
So you're stuck in a loop where this character has to be shown as better, which means less interesting encounters with villains, recycle the same stories the previous hero had, and also, can't forget, must get along with every new legacy character, cause they are all big buddies with no disputes or conflicts! Just like how Hellcat is suddenly friends with Squirrel Girl, Kate Bishop and America Chavez because her writer likes those characters! Never mind history! Nobody reads comics before Civil War!

Eric Masterson did it. He even pretended to be the real Thor for a while. But he never thought he actually WAS Thor.

you can reboot the universe without retcons of course because this is marvel

#NotMyThor

#NotThorAtAll

How does that even begins to explain why she wouldn't get an easy cure for cancer?
I know exactly why she didn't take that cure and it only makes it worse.

she trusts western medicine more

That's another thing. Are they suddenly pretending the hammer can just do whatever it wants? Didn't Odin cast the spells that power and control it? Maybe the Motherstorm or whatever that plot contrivance is called provides the power, Odin defeated and bound it. He is more powerful and he spellbound it into the hammer, but now all of a sudden it does what it wants?

Kind of tired of pissing on the Patriarch here. Like it's a pejorative in itself.

Wasn't he merged with Thor for a while?

I enjoy reading about Thor because his interaction with mortals and Asgardian stuff alike is really fun, I first got into Thor when he came back and hung out in Broxton and read it ever since. I also like how humble and noble he is while also being an incredibly strong hero, when Thor said stuff everyone listened.
This character had none of what made Thor fun and exciting, she only took the name and not the spirit of the character.

The most powerful beings on Earth couldn't figure out how to make an old woman who got shot by a bullet not die, when the plot calls for you to die you're gonna die.

Are there any books that focus more on the realms being scifi planets more than being LOTR fantasy? That's why i didn't enjoy simonson's run as much, it felt very sword and sorcery. Don't get me wrong it's a great run

Here's the thing with that.
1) Jason Aaron clearly didn't know who was going to be Thor at first, as he said it wasn't Jane Foster at first. He probably chose her cause he couldn't justify anyone else.
2) Hickman was doing his big Avengers to Secret Wars arc, so I don't think he wanted to take time out to introduce Angela in any meaningful manner.

It's more of an MCU thing user

That doesn't mean she shouldn't try the better type of healing anyway.
Why not just say that they tried everything they could and it just didn't work? I could've at least emphatized with her struggle like that.

They tried too hard to spite anyone who didn't want it.

user, at some point you really gotta accept that writing trumps logic, she was written to die from cancer which means anything you suggest wouldn't work because the writer decided on it.
Most comic fans are well aware there are like at least ten fucking people who have bragged to have cured cancer in DC and Marvel.

>dying of cancer

AY

Why didn't she go to Wakanda, fuck up their shit with her hammer and steal the cure for cancer?

It's not a problem of her having cancer or the cancer not getting healed.
It's the action of her refusing a specific treatment because of moral standings that makes her less relatable to me.

I never read it but all the panels posted on Sup Forums made my eyes roll. Thor Odinson is the character's name. When other people had Thor's hammer they weren't suddenly "Thor" they were whoever they were before with Thor's powers/hammer.

I guess they were so up their own ass trying to prove a point they forgot how names work

Nothing

>probably one of the coolest concepts in comics.
>>has cancer
>>can turn into superhero but it wipes out your chemo progress

Yes. That was interesting, and the art was great with exception of issue 5 (or 6?). The problem for me was the snail like pacing of the “who’s the new Thor” mystery. I dropped it after 3rd issue monthly but it reads okay in a single sitting.

But I’ve only read the pre-Secret Wars series

It killer her momentum and soured a lot of people on the character.

media trying to pander to niche audiences always fails because of production time; whatever they put out comes anywhere from 1-3 years after it's relevant, to be met by, at best, a lukewarm reception and inevitability die out as the few remaining members of the target audience eventually move on.

>as he said it wasn't Jane Foster at first
Because people don't lie. Loeb said Rulk wasn't Ross either, at first.

Cancer.

This is where I dropped the comic.
>significant art downgrade
>muh feminism
I felt like the rest of the series would be more of the same so I dropped it

I miss Earth X Thor.

probably the same reason. It's apparently not fair to people that can't get that kind of shit. That being said what about people in complete shit holes with no sort of medical facilities. Regular health might as well be magic to someone who has no access to it.

>it's the same Thor-defender that shows up in all these threads
>who has been disproven several time but keeps pretending it never happened

Thus why his GR arc was great

I hear her comics (at least some of the earlier parts of the run) weren't that bad it's just Whor herself who sucks, how true is that?

>i didn't enjoy simonson's run as much

There is no hope for you.

I'd say 95% true.

She's pretty much a textbook Mary Sue: she herself makes no mistakes and has no character flaws, all the shit she runs into is because of other people, ESPECIALLY powerful males.

I am a liberal guy. I have been taken to task for it. But I have limits. This comic took pleasure in running over them.

You know exactly what was wrong.

She shows up and everyone's immediately a fan of her. And she's touted as "even better" than actual Thor, despite not living hundreds of years with this power; it's basically "better because we say so". It's the same way Silk lived in a fucking bunker for her whole life but was able to outmaneuver Spider-man, who has been fighting his whole life. This "my character is cool because they can do X" bullshit is the hallmark of a lazy writer, and any reader with sense is immediately turned off by it.

Like the other "Nu" characters, they're pushed as important and popular and inspirational in the books. You're repeatedly told "You should like this character, look at all these other characters that do".

All that circles around to her stupid problems, her pretending to speak with "Thy" and "Thou" so awkwardly, and the shitty writing and dull storylines.

Compare this to, say, Kaine in Scarlet Spider, where the character wasn't touted as "the best", and wasn't shown shitting all over established characters to make him look good. He had interesting stories and his own personality and an interesting cast, not just a support group saying "You are the best and most marketable hero!"

she is pure cancer
/thread

Um no sweetie.

That one issue you're referring too was the stupidest and most egregious example of how bad Aaron's run got, but it was hardly the only problem.

>The character is called Jane Foster but doesn't act like Jane Foster.
>The character is suddenly called "Thor", and we're not allowed to think about how retarded it is that Jane Foster would want to be called by her ex-bf's first name, which he had before he had the hammer.
>She's better with the hammer than Thor ever was; no reason given.
>Oh Jane Foster is dying of cancer, but Jason Aaron doesn't know the character so he doesn't realize that actually Jane Foster is a MOTHER, but during these end-of-life ruminations we never hear her talk about her child.
>Oh by the way Jane is also a fucking Senator in Asgard too. Because that makes sense and women can do anything and everything in Asgard is centered around how bad a cartoonishly pigheaded version of Odin is and how perfect a cartoonishly gracious version of Frigia is.
>The stories, the letter column, and all press for the book is relentlessly centered around how the only possible reason anyone could find fault in any of this would be that they're sexist. If you even give one microsecond of thought to "Hey yeah why would Jane Foster call herself 'Thor', that's pretty weir--" then you're a horrible sexist.

Jason Aaron's overall Thor run started off quite great, and to this day it's clear that he actually puts effort into his writing. The problem is that DEFENDING M'LADY'S HONOR sidetracked his stories. We're into the third year or something of the "War of the Realms" and everyone has long, long, long stopped caring. Jane has cancer and could have died at any time, so the idea that she's dying "now" just seemed forced and random, like Aaron didn't have any real plan so "may as well do this now".

A lot of ideas and plots in this run are interesting in paper, like a woman picking up the hammer, having more than one Thor around and having a conflict between then, Thor becoming unworthy but still striving to be a hero.
All these ideas would had made a solid run by themselves with proper writing and the right characters but trying to mesh all of that together only made things worse. Also Jane Foster is and have always been a boring character with very little to it, they should had gave the hammer to Sif. For what is worth I liked Volstagg as a Thor and the Unworthy Thor miniseries had some good moments despite its anticlimactic ending.

IMO the one thing that could had redeem Jane as Thor was if they had reveal she is not actually worthy and its reveal the reason the she can hold Mjolnir is because after Thor mended the hammer after Borr broke it in Straczynski's run, part of Thor's soul stayed in the hammer and his love for Jane is what allow her to wild the hammer and also why she gets access to extra stuff from the hammer, as its part of Thor soul that is trying to protect her.

Nothing, hopefully she branches to her own comic after this pseudo death arc, as it is right now she puts all female leads on Marvel and DC in a very small pocket.

This guy nailed it why 99% of these diversity characters are boring Mary-Sues. They can't afford to show weakness in minority characters who also represent every minority person everywhere in the world all at once. Miles can't do wrong or otherwise it would be like saying black people make mistakes and thats racist.

Only exception was Kamala in her own book, because the writer wasn't a fucking retard and realized fleshing out a character requires them to have ups and downs and good and bad sides about them.

Even during all these SJW runs, Iron Man has survived by transferring his consciousness to a fucking hologram. Theres literally no reason for Jane Foster to die to a cancer, theres at least a dozen gods in Valhalla alone who could concoct her a medicine which would turn her into a proper god.

Honestly, they did too much telling not enough showing. I mean maybe if they showed Feminism without explaining it in text, people wouldn't hate it. The way it was handled feels like there's a hand pointing at us saying you men should be ashamed. Frankly fuck that shit.

she has been getting offers of healing from way before even Jason Aaron was writing Thor. I still don't get how having cancer that is actually curable in your universe, somehow makes you worthy. Back in the day you needed to have the fate of entire worlds behind your back just to be able to hold it.

Usually when people refuse obvious easy medication for a dangerous but curable illness, they're regarded as idiots. When some grandpa gets an erysipelas in his leg and says he doesn't need no doctors, nobody is going to think he's a hero when the bacteria fucking eats his leg and it has to be amputated. A simple doze of antibiotics would've saved him.

>Don't want to use you magic to make my cancer go away
>Instead I will use this magic hammer to prolong my life till the writer needs to get back to the status quo
fucking dumb

Character assassination of Odin and Thor.
Giving Freyja an important far more than she deserves.
Jane Foster of all people being worthy of Mjolnir.
Retcon of Mjolnir.
Thor losing arm to shitty Frost Giants and shitface Dark Elf.
Odin jobbing to Whor.
Claims of Whor being best wielder of Mjolnir.
Roxxon shit with shitty Minotaur avatar.

Please. PLEEASE THIS

And then Titania called Blackbolt a terrible person because his adopted alien daughter got kidnapped.

So basically both Aaron that came up with the idea and Marvel's editor for actually being okay with this stupid ass idea.

It's the same thing happening all over media, the same thing that happened in The Last Jedi; instead of writing a new female/minority character well they try to boost their acceptance and 'coolness' by tearing down and character assassinating previous fan favorites to show how much better the new character is.

This could've worked, being that she was a long time supporting cast member...but the execution was terrible

>dat Loki face tho

Oh, Loki...

I still maintain his Ghost Rider run is the best thing that Jason Aaron has ever wrote and should comeback to it, also because I miss Dan Ketch and Sara the caretaker.

But the thing is that Whor isn't really going to die from cancer. She is going to continue existing after Jane dies based on spoilers for later issues.

Silk is only more agile and have a better Spider-sense than Spider-man. But Spider-man is still stronger and more durable than Silk. Kaine is stronger, more durable, more agile, faster, and heal faster than both of them but lacks a Spider-sense.

Even worse than all the things wrong with this (there are dozens), it illustrates the inconsistent writing. Half the time she's talking in Olde English, thee, thy, thou, etc, and here she's just like "Yeah you jerk!"

The whole execution was clumsy and incompetent. It started out with an agenda, not a plan.

I don't think you actually read what was said, but okay.

Silk also "learned how to fight" by watching videos, which is a strong step into retarded territory. The issue where Silk is introduced is probably some of the worst writing I've ever seen which says a lot: she shows up, they fight JUST to prove how she's better in a few ways despite having exactly 0 experience using her powers, and then they make up and she gives herself a super-hero name.

All this happens in the span of like, four pages?

Kaine, I didn't mention anything strength comparisons. He didn't really rely on shitting on other characters to make himself look better, and there was no idea that he has to be better at X to be worth anything as a character. He developed as a character and had his own story and identity and flaws.

The big issue with these new "OC" characters that are shoveled in is that they HAVE TO SUCCEED. The writers created this character, so they have an interest in them being important, and the center of a lot of attention, so the characters are garbage Mary Sues instead of interesting, and they are forced upon you over and over and over, and you are told over and over how you should like them.

Robbie is probably the only case I can think in which they showed restrain, they actually showed him losing to Johnny Blaze before they could figure out from where his powers came from.

Silk's just shifting states, not making a new character. Even Miles, who is a boring, terrible character, started out with some original powers. Now they're overpowered or completely forgotten, but at least it wasn't "this, but a little more X and less Y"

Trying to appeal people that dont buy comics.

The only ones that actually made sense were X-23 as Wolverine, Falcon as Captain Falcon, and Cho as Hulk due to their extensive history with their predecessor. Sam Nova and Robbie Ghost Rider doesn't count since their original predecessor were never killed off or eventually came back. Granted Captain Falcon's book has been pretty terrible but not Whor bad.

I'll be honest I never got into the new Ghost Rider. I saw a couple cameos but he was mostly being mad at everyone, all the time. Felt like it was just trying to be edgy.

The big issue is that these "new" heroes are popping up because writers want their own, something they get the piece of because it's their OC. So established, long-running characters are being replaced with new ones and then you get to read a sales pitch for the character and a "Wouldn't THIS hero be cool in the MCU!?, eh eh?" instead of a story focused on being good.

Would hardly call invisibility a new power. Peter had those abilities in his Iron-Spider armor before. And as for the Venom Blast, Jessica Drew had those.

New Ghost Rider starts great but loses some of its momentum at the end but it remains good for the whole of it, I kinda compare it to Manapul's Flash in that the writing is just competent and nothing special but the art is so great it makes it worth reading it. And in any case the series was fairly short.