Morisson fans, so what was the meaning of The Filth? Is there a meaning at all?

Morisson fans, so what was the meaning of The Filth? Is there a meaning at all?
I feel dumb

Other urls found in this thread:

crackcomicks.com/the_filth_questions.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It means you have to kill yourself or the Gentry wins.

>I feel dumb

As far as I recall (and it's been a long time since I read it), it was about presenting degeneracy and depravity and then attempting to cure them by raising the mirror to them and twisting them into a nightmare.

If life gives you shit, you can still turn it into something beautiful.

>it was about presenting degeneracy and depravity and then attempting to cure them by raising the mirror to them and twisting them into a nightmare.
I strongly disagree with that interpretation. It was about learning to live and find meaning in the world in spite of how ugly and miserable it can get, not about trying to "cure" the ugliness.
The point was all this mess is a necessary evil (Qlippoth) and trying to fight that is, in the comic's own words: "like fighting your own immune system." At the end of the day everything we love and care about and everything magical or nice about the world all came from abhorrent shit as represented by Mother Dirt, and that's OK. It's messy and sometimes disturbing, but you can still live in this world and have love.

I think I like this explanation as it gives a positive message.

Does anyone know if there is some kind of good research article or something similar on this comic?

Like I said, it's been years. I'm likely misremembering something I read in a Morrison interview or in the book itself. I should find a new copy and re-read it.

You can also interpret Greg as King Mob living out a lifetime of what he considers Hell (a boring, sedentary life where he's some old balding overweight guy spending all his time watching TV) created during the few moments of his "real" world's time when he's being tortured by the Outer Church.
Which would fit with how Miami tells him towards the end that he used to be some sort of freedom fighting terrorist (i.e. an Invisible) who they caught and "recycled" into one of them. The Hand would then basically be a sympathetically portrayed version of the Outer Church who is trying to hold the world together (maintain Status Q) while the evil Invisibles irrationally attack it in a way that threatens to throw the entire ecosystem of functional society out of balance.

Fun fact: Morrison originally wanted The Filth to be Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD story but Marvel said no.

In fact I'd consider Flex Mentallo, The Invisibles, and The Filth to all share the same protagonist.
>Somewhere, I'm not a singer, I'm an office executive or the father of a little girl or a comic artist, drawing this story.
And one of King Mob's cover identities is the writer "Kirk Morrison," meaning Grant Morrison, King Mob, Greg, and Wally Sage are all alternate reality versions of each other.
>Fun fact: Morrison originally wanted The Filth to be Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD story but Marvel said no.
Yeah, you can kind of tell how the whole Filth plot point of the agents being created by injecting people with chemical personality overrides would've been used to explain Nick Fury not aging ("Nick Fury" would be a different person injected with the "Nick Fury" personality every few decades). Would be similar to what he did with making all of Batman's seemingly supernatural or nonsensical stories from the past into canon by re-framing them as the product of drugs and psychological trauma.

Morrison was weaving a tripointed hyper-sigil. You can't really see the full scope of it until you've read Flex Mentallo and The Invisibles.

It means you're dumb enough to look too far into the writing of an over-hyped junkie. The dude is basically brain-dead, and hides his bad writing, and lack of creativity with vague nonsense.

>In fact I'd consider Flex Mentallo, The Invisibles, and The Filth to all share the same protagonist.
Oh YOU would, eh? How's it going Grant?

That's pretty much it. Or "Shit makes the flowers grow."

He writes entertaining stories with trippy plots. Not sure how that could trigger you this badly.

You can see some of that in the nick fury story grant did

storytime? Never seen it before

Ok

Th-th-th-that's all folks!

Good man yourself

Because he's an Agent of the Anti-Truth.

Morrison needs to return to Marvel and do a MAX book.

Mmm. Isn't the Qliphot evil emmanations that try to contradict the Sephira? From what I remember, evil trying to separate the union that is The Infinite.

I have only one thing to say

What was the purpose of this comic?

There have been several different interpretations of what Qlippoth is throughout the history of Kabbalah.
The interpretation Grant Morrison used is Qlippoth as husks, shells, or peels. In some sense you don't like a peel or a shell because it's inedible waste, but on the other hand they perform an essential function in keeping the part you do want to eat protected.
>Does anyone know if there is some kind of good research article or something similar on this comic?
crackcomicks.com/the_filth_questions.htm

Magic. No, really.

Wow it could work as a Steranko-esque Fury story.

>Flex, Filth, Invisibles
Multiversity is a great bridge between his Vertigo-Hypercrisis and the DC-Hypercrisis proper.

How so? Multiversity seems pretty self-contained even in the grand scope of it.

Para-personalities. Recursive, circular realities. Instead of grime/shit/deconstruction building up in the cracks/crevices of reality, every "gap" is just a potential ecosystem of ideas/life. Given the "shit grows flowers" argument of The Filth, Multiversity is "the flowers" that grow from the inconsistencies and crevices.

You've reminded me of that one hypercrisis thread about the Mandala flower.

You mean these?

Yeah, that shit. Now, I'm no fool, I know the Mandala flower is a symbol of the self and all that jazz. Does that factor into your Vertigo / DC hypercrisis at all>

It's about Grant Morrison feeling depressed about his cat dying .

And also, something about how despite how cool, hip and anti-authoritarian ya think you are at the end of the day you either become a fat sell out or a poor pathetic hippie. You get old, your heart dies.

mandala poster is someone else.

Jung wrote a lot about mandala symbolism, especially regarding its use as a representation of the self/soul. According to him, the mandala is the self when viewed from above, whereas the tree is the self when viewed from the side.

pic also related

The Multiversity Mites?

>Mites
>Bat-Mite

I fucking see what you did there Morrison and I love it.

Nothing. It's gutter trash, just like every other Morrison comic.

>only reason i cared to both with this storytime was to see man-thing
>have always disliked nick fury
>no Man-Thing

i've been had

To show that Nick Fury has a team of SHIELD agents dedicated to helping him prank people.