Paneling

Do you like it straight and simple, or more outlandish and complex?
Post some examples of creative paneling, if you have any.

Gunnerkrigg Court is pretty good for creative panneling. Usually only when the main characters enter the 'ether' where its as-if everything is underwater.

I fucking adore Aja's panel work.

here is a neat one.

I love this page, it says so much with just the panels.

of course the easiest way to show how important panel work is is to show how unreadable a page looks with bad panel work.

I like this one a lot. It shakily speeds up then slows down at a measured pace while becoming clearer.

These are good example.
A very bad example if Kenneth Rocafort.

>these are very good example
Was this ironic or not? I can't tell.

I don't think you understand what irony means, but no. I'm not.

I like the way Chris Ware panels his stuff. Actually reading the dialogue may diminish your enjoyment if you're in a good mood though.

I think when some artists go all out just for the sake of it you can lose the flow of the story, J.H. Williams at times is guilty of this. That said I still prefer it to everything being widescreen comics.

According to Kelly Sue DeConnick complex page layouts are discouraged at Marvel because they don't translate well to digital/phone readers with guided reading. Some editor tried to get Emma Rios to change a page so it would read better on a phone and she told them off.

I love some of the paneling in We3. I'm not sure if it's just the chaotic nature of combat or it's supposed to show an animal's fractured view of time. I like to think it's the latter.

For the most part, Jeff Smith's paneling in Bone is very structured and classic, but it's got a great sense of action and timing between panels, and a good mix of sizes and shots.

That and Grant and Frank wanted to depict action in a way that only a comic could.

The page with all the camera feeds is also insane. Since Quietly drew each panel on it's own and then worked out how to best arrange them into a single page. His wife accidentally threw out the box with all the panels while cleaning and he frantically ran to pull it out of the dumpster.

Is this a response to that Alt Hero thread that somebody asked "What is good paneling?"

I like Rocafort.
Don't get me wrong I know what you mean. The way Rocafort structures a page rarely helps the flow, or the narrative.
It's the comicbook equivalent of pointless CGI. But damn, if he doesn't make it look good. It feels like he constantly trying new things with each page, and that gives his pieces an energy that many just don't have.

I like when pages aren't mean to be read in the same " left to right, then down a row" manner like this Spiral pages are cool

It's always funny/frustrating when you see readers fucking bewildered about how they're supposed to comprehend a page that doesn't conform to a standard layout.

I haven't got any on me but I really dig the Invader Zim comic panelings.