There exist actual people who unironically dislike Grant Morrison comics

>There exist actual people who unironically dislike Grant Morrison comics
This will never make sense to me.

>that image
Is this supposed to make me think Grant Morrison comics are awesome? If that was your point, you failed. Miserably.

Because it's too small? I use mobile hotspot from my phone as my sole source of internet service and it takes too long to try to post a high quality picture.

>Because it's too small?
No. I could se it just fine, it just wasn’t interesting

The American space chimps appearing in a hallucination to Dimitri and congratulating him when he actually hates them before he gets hit by the train is pretty funny to me, although if you didn't read the story and are just looking at this panel you'd miss some of the context.
The whole sequence of events leading up to that point is neat because of how weird it gets all of a sudden, with the neighbors thinking Greg is a pedophile and coming into his house to stop him and Dimitri getting interrupted in his assassination attempt and freaking out all the other neighbors outside who suddenly start calling him a monster and lynch mobbing him until he ends up on the train tracks in that picture. It's like a fever dream.

>user can't handle other people's opinions
grow up

Even "smart" superhero comics just aren't that good.

I don't dislike him, but sometimes the man can't either end a story as epically as he builds it up. Or he'll let his bias on a character weaken the work.

*sometimes the man can't end a story as epically as he builds it up

Superhero comics are the best kind of comics.

go to bed. it's a school night.

I hope you know the people who shit on superhero comics are usually under 20.

i like his new show

First two episodes were good. Have any more aired?

4 aired, 5th coming this week

Well this looks dumb

Where are all these teenagers reading eurcomics and indie stuff?

You must no read a lot of comics because there plenty of non-superhero comics that are better than at least 99.99% of that particular genre.

I like it too but found the comic to be fairly generic. It felt like Morrison was trying to write a Millar comic.

It's fun since it's directed by the same guy that did the Crank films and Meloni chewing the scenery.

projecting so hard

Because they only read le mature comics because they're grownups.

Not really, for the simple fact that they're superheroes. You can't ever replace that kind of fantastical setting.

>Because they only read le mature comics because they're grownups.
Most of edgy teenagers simply read edgy capes.

If he was really as good as you faggots claim, he'd have made it out of comics by now

There's also the simple fact that DC and Marvel are garbage outside of a few titles, which most superhero comics are affiliated with. If I wanted a fantastic setting, I'd read some actually unique fantasy setting rather than a bloated universe that has been living past its prime for decades.

Or people would actually follow him to his non superhero projects. They only care when Morrison writes a comic ending in -man

They aren't edgy, they're hipsters.

Read some comics man, the 'bloated universe' thing is hardly a problem, the only thing that makes a book bad is that it sucks. And geuinely BAD writers are really just at Marvel and on Batgirl books.

They're not outright bad, most titles for DC and Marvel are just mediocre. DC and Marvel are too adherent to the status quo and most changes made to it are pretty much guaranteed to be temporary because they're used as a sales gimmick. Compare most DC or Marvel books to something like Hellboy or its spinoffs and you'll see just how poor a state that section of the industry is in.

What site do you think we're on?

>compare it to hellboy and it'll look bad
You know Hellboy is one of the best comics ever written, right? It's rare for anything to be that consistently good.

He was saying superhero comics are the best kind of comics so I was just providing an easy example to show why that isn't the case. Not to mention Hellboy manages to do the whole extended universe thing a hell of a lot better than DC and Marvel since it's had numerous spinoffs and save for maybe Abe Sapien they've all been pretty great.

I'm the person you were arguing with, retard. My point was that faulting something for not being Hellboy is like faulting Hellboy for not being The Dark Knight Returns.

Well that's my point, why have the giant universes with a bunch a different series when 95% of them are crap. I'd rather read a self-contained run with actual quality than a decades spanning series with numerous runs and inconsistent quality. Sure, DC has stuff like Swamp Thing, Sandman, and Starman but I consider those rare exceptions rather than the norm when it comes to cape-comics.

Are you new to comics or something? Because they've gone on for so long, they're larger-than-life and numerous writers can interpret these characters in different ways and tell different stories. I wouldn't like to see it for creator-owned stuff but superheroes are different.

They're also stagnant, are often handled by people who write little more than fanfic, and are just creatively bankrupt in most cases. Just look at DC's two new events, something about a bunch of edgy evil Batmen and other about DC crossing over with the Watchmen universe. Of course everyone on Sup Forums will blow their load because they'll pay lip-service to Morrison metafuckery but it's still all still pretty stupid.

>they're larger-than-life and numerous writers can interpret these characters in different ways and tell different stories
Not really, since what they can and they can't do is limited by the editorial, and the more popular the character is the less risk you are allowed to take which often leads to stagnation.

>Superhero comics are the best kind of comics.
T-there are people that unironically think this? I mean I'm kind of impressed, I don't even want to judge your strange taste.

Final Crisis wasn't that good.

You're both very clearly just parroting things you've heard the casuals on this board repeat ad nauseam.

Hey pal, I don't judge you for your taste in garbage shows like DBZ and Jojo.

Or maybe the stagnation is evident to anyone who is not desillucional.

He ruined the X-Men

Stagnation hasn't been a problem since Final Crisis, since then it's been bad ideas and editorial not doing their job.

I don't need people to tell me what I think about thinks, I read the storytimes on Sup Forums and it's quite clear DC and Marvel have been mostly shit for a while now.

Holy shit dude, you just confirmed that you're fucking 15 years old.

>babby doesn't even know how to torrent comics

You keep on saying "stagnation" like things returning to the status quo somehow cheapen the events before that. A run of a comic that shakes things up a lot is only returned to the status quo so that the next writer can shake things up for their version. It's like saying every James Bond movie is bad because Bond will always go back to his usual self by the start of the next movie.

I'm not going to actively seek out and download that shit, why would I waste that much bandwidth on something I don't even like? The storytimes just remind me why I dislike them so I can call out plebs like you from a place of knowledge.

So by incidentally reading a limited selection of comics storytimed on Sup Forums you feel confident enough to make a broad statement over the entire genre of capeshit?

Considering it's usually the biggest events and most popular comics at the time, absolutely. It's supposed to be DC and Marvel's best food forward and it's all embarrassingly bad. Sure, there's some diamonds in the rough there every now and again but as a whole comics from DC and Marvel are extremely mediocre, especially the stuff from the last couple of decades.

>It's supposed to be DC and Marvel's best food forward and it's all embarrassingly bad.
>Events and most popular comics
>Implying they're at all indicative of anything but the tastes of the lowest common denominator that are meant to subsidize the rest of their published comics.

Ok Mr. capeshit expert, what would you consider the comics that show why you think capeshit is "the best kind of comics" as per your original claim?

I'm a different user entirely. I just find the idea of anyone making such broad claims with as little exposure to the thing they're critiquing, and the most commercialized examples at that, to be rather ridiculous. That being said I'm rather fond of Nexus, O'Neil's Question, Mantlo and PAD's run on Hulk and Moench's original Moon Knight run. And in recent memory I enjoyed Shade from Young Animal and Punisher: Platoon but I've been mostly preoccupied with my backlog.

Grant Morrison writes wonderful Superman stories.

Grant Morrison writes fucking terrible shitass Batman stories.

and now you know how someone can dislike a Grant Morrison comic.

It comes more from an area of disappointment than anything. When I first got into comics, I tried getting into capeshit since it was the most popular thing at the time and I grew up on the cartoons and movies based on them. What I came across was a convoluted mess that wasn't really that good for the most part. After developing my tastes a bit I of course went back and read the more celebrated runs like Swamp Thing or Starman but I still found the vast majority of Marvel and DC comics to be quite mediocre. Stuff like Young Animal is definitely a step in the right direction since it works essentially like Vertigo before it by allowing more unconventional stories to be told. I think it's more I'm bristling at the fact this guy is saying that capeshit are the best type of comics while disparaging pretty much everything else despite capeshit representing the vast majority of the medium kind of stifling it as a whole. And at least with creator owned comics I don't need to worry about retcons or editorial mandates and the like.

>the vast majority Marvel and DC comics to be quite mediocre.
I wouldn't disagree but I must say that Sturgeon's Law is true of everything including other comics.
>despite capeshit representing the vast majority of the medium kind of stifling it as a whole
I disagree about "stifling" it. The Big Two are far less aggressive then in the 80s/90s when Marvel were blatantly trying to cause indies like First Comics with the help of WCP. They just sit with their share of the market and seem to be content with the indie companies doing their own thing.
>And at least with creator owned comics I don't need to worry about retcons or editorial mandates and the like.
I agree that they're more lax about those kinds of things but it also makes their occasional reneging on the terms that they agreed on more deplorable. Like the situation with the cover of Chaykin's comic. But that might just be me preferring the company to tell them to get fucked at first, rather than waiting till afterwards to change their minds as i find that more manipulative.
But I agree that the other user' s statement that cape stuff is the best of comics to be ridiculous as well. It's just that I enjoy both and the occasional petty sniping I see on both sides makes me quick to assume the person disagreeing to be trying to shit on the perceived competition and for that I apologize.

>Grant Morrison writes fucking terrible shitass Batman stories.
What? He's the only writer who's done a good job with Batman in recent years. Do you actually prefer King's Batman, or Geoff Johns Batman, or Snyder's Batman?

Sure, his run was better than complete shit but it still wasn't that good.

Except James Bond movies are independant. You can watch the 15th without any prior knowledge and not feel like your missing something.

Cape comics are build upon one another, there are references to previous run.

Western comics suck at making fights, look at this shit

elaborate

You think the two flavors of comics are superheroes and manga? Honestly you're just ignorant about the medium so there's not really anything worthwhile you could say about it.

Moorefags are a sad and spiteful breed, much like their idol.

>tiles
Heh

huh. I actually read the filth for the first time last night