I want to get into Black panther. where should I start?

I'm a huge fan Ta-Nehisi Coates' non-fiction work so I was thinking of checking out some of his Black panther stuff, but I'm open to checking out another run or the animated series if it is a better place to start

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jogj0_8rw48
pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/behind-trumps-victory-divisions-by-race-gender-education/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The "animated series" is little more than a motion comic adapted from one of the worst Black Panther runs.
The opening song and Djimon Hounsou were the only good things about it.
youtu.be/jogj0_8rw48

Priest's run is usually recommended. If you like Coates just read Coates.

>I'm a huge fan Ta-Nehisi Coates' non-fiction work

Are you really, or is this b8? Either way, Coates's run on Black Panther is generally forgettable and has really failed to meet fiscal expectations. Priest's run is often considered one of the only good ones.

Ok. I'll check out Priest's run. I'm only familiar with Coates' non fiction stuff though , He's a good political commentator and is knowledeable on race issues. I have no idea if he has storytelling chops

Priest

AVOID HUDLIN. AVOID HUDLIN LIKE THE PLAGUE

>tfw themesong is so good
>tfw show is so bad

Fucking Hudlin. At least Digimon Hanzo, the beninese digital monster ninja, did good work

he does not

I'm just gonna say I STRONGLY disagree with your opinion of Coates's non-fiction work, and that your opinion is going to put you in a very small minority here, hence why I thought this was b8. I think Steve Sailer has done a pretty good job of picking his work apart. Likewise, if you would prefer the same critique but from your side of the political aisle, there is Cornel West's takedown.

Also, not really related to any of that, but the amount of people who follow a non-comics writer into comics is surprisingly miniscule if not non-existent. Neither Kevin Smith nor JM Strazinski brought in a bunch of new blood, and the current crop of YA writers aren't doing it either. I have to say, you're kind of a unicorn in that regards, lol.

fucking Hanzou mains stop picking sniper on attack reeeee

I deffo agree with some of Cornel West's criticisms. Coates definitely has a blind spot with some of Obama's flaws. Haven't seen Sailer's stuff.

mad they wasted him in guardians

same with adewale in Thor 2

Priest for modern Ta'challa and Original kirby for classic

maybe its because I attempted to read it through Marvel Unlimited (which is a shit fucking digital comics reader), but I couldn't get into Priest's run.

the couple issues I tried felt disjointed

i downloaded this a few years ago so it's probably outdated. haven't read much of it but i liked the cartoon that aired on BET

>i liked the cartoon that aired on BET
you disgust me

Man without Fear ended really weak.

great start though

mcgregor and priest are runs to read

hudlins and coates runs are ass, coates more so(which is amazing because i hated hudlins run)

it falls off when storm shows up

Coates isn't very smart but he's ballsy and told Obama he wasn't really a black president to his face
it was based, I find him funny and fearless but still kinda dumb

Real talk: cool character, shitty stories.

Martian manhunter, Captain marvel (the girl one).

Priest is the go to. There is also a few one shots before him by Denis something, which is good. Then comes Aaron's secret invasion tie in.
Then Coates run. I would actually reccomend his run. He is the type of comic writer where his individual issues are slow burning lame but when put together as a trade where you can rapidly read them all together, it presents a fun story.
He's done a lot to develop the geography of Wakanda, it's unique culture and where it's gods come from.
I like it but it's not for everyone. Even I hated the earlier issues when I read them monthly.

>AVOID HUDLIN. AVOID HUDLIN LIKE THE PLAGUE
Why?

You know the meme Sup Forums and Sup Forums faggots post here about We Wuz Kangz and shit? Hudlin is actually a personal suscriber to that belief and incorporated it in his black panther run in the most ham fisted way.
Ask any black panther fan or comic reader who respects the character. Hudlin damaged T'Challa and his world to a huge extent to the point that it's universally hated and never bought up when it comes to black panther comics.
I am honestly surprised actual comic fags don't spout that meme.

Thankfully a lot of its getting retconned with this

>I am honestly surprised actual comic fags don't spout that meme.
The ones who spout we wuz kangs don't actually read comics. Hudlins run is full of this shit. God forbid they actually find out and read that filth. Sup Forums might actually never recover.

Right now they only post the wakanda has cancer cure pic because that's been posted everywhere online.

>the couple issues I tried felt disjointed
Yeah, I had the same problem but I gave it another try and now I enjoy it.

Priest 1-12 (the client followed by enemy of the state)

if you don't like those two stories (2 of the best) then try jumping to Hudlin 1-6 (who si the black panther).

Hudlin's run is completely different than Priests so if you don't like Priest you may like that. Most prefer Priest though...

You can try Panthers Rage by McGregor if you like watching T'challa get his ass kicked over and over adn over and over and over and over and over with ridiculously dense and wordy narration with gorgeous art

if you like street level, Liss run (man without fear) works. The last arc is the best IMO (kingpin of Wakanda)

fi you really don't like any of that, you can read Coates boring ass run. At least it looks pretty.

Gillis vol 2 1-4 is underrated like crazy

Read this

It's not that bad.

Black Panther under Priest was a pure priest book... meaning complicated story line, plots on plots, and excellent excellent comic writing by a pro.

Hudlin... isn't that. He was tasked with a 6 issue, out of continuity mini so he did that and it sold so Marvel went "lol, nvm CANON!" and it put comic fans in a tizzy. It 100% changed the origin of T'challa and Wakanda. It doesn't help Wakanda went from "hidden tribe nearly beat by white guy with guns" to "ultimate warrior bad asses" which pissed off a lot of (mostly white) readers.

Hudlin, with no remorse, wrote black panther towards black people. No longer was tchalla working in the background with Ross narration... he was front and center, confident, and black as fuck (black, not african).

Plus he isn't nearly the writer Priest is. Plots are simplistic, especially compared to Priest.

So you got a perfect storm of hate going on for it... but it sold and sold quite well for Black Panther.

Its really not that bad, people just got butt hurt about it and continued being butthurt about it. Its just a simple cape comic featuring Black Panther

oh and then he married storm to him which pisssed off all the X fans.

Who is the Black Panther, Bad Mutha, the honeymoon tour, back to africa, and Deadliest of the Species is entertaining at least. I don't really like the F4 stuff personally.

Honestly, you can tell a lot of people who go "FUCK HUDLIN!" and then praise Doom War aren't really black panther fans at all. Because Doom War is the most garbage black panther story ever and is pure Doom Wankery.

Hudlin, we know it's you.

coates is shit for panther too. hudlin is one extreme and coates is another, i wish hed find another black character to shit on

>Because Doom War is the most garbage black panther story ever and is pure Doom Wankery.

this is damn true

Rise of the Black Panther is alright. It adds Hunter back in and gives T'Challa's birth mother an actual character

Isn't Hudlin where Doom calls T'Challa Rogers' Tonto?

I have been looking for this for awhile, I had it once, but it's gone AWOL. The film looks like Hudlin's shit.

I tried reading this issue but it was like a thousand words a page.

I don't know, we'll have to see. Some of the shots give me the impression of T'Challa going "I might be king but I don't want to burn down this guy and his supporters just because they disagree with who should be King" which sounds more like Priest.

It seems like good mix right now. Kind of like if Priests run was from T'Challa's PoV instead of Ross'

What the fuck happened to this board?

OP, read Don McGregor's run entirely collected in the Panther's Rage Epic Collection right now. Not only is it the ebst Panther comic, it's one of the best cape comic of the Bronze Age. Disgusting that it wasn't the first response. McDuffie on McGregor's run:

>This overlooked and underrated classic is arguably the most tightly written multi-part superhero epic ever. ... It's damn-near flawless, every issue, every scene, a functional, necessary part of the whole. Okay, now go back and read any individual issue. You'll find seamlessly integrated words and pictures; clearly introduced characters and situations; a concise (sometimes even transparent) recap; beautifully developed character relationships; at least one cool new villain; a stunning action set piece to test our hero's skills and resolve; and a story that is always moving forward towards a definite and satisfying conclusion. That's what we should all be delivering, every single month. Don [McGregor] and company did it in only 17 story pages per issue"

Well that's quite the endorsement. Never heard of this.

I knew there was a run in between Kirby and Priest that I forgot about, thanks user

If I had to guess the reason for its relative obscurity, it's probably because it was never collected in any decent form until the Epic Collection outside of the Marvel Masterworks and Essentials lines which never really made a big deal out of it. Pretty insane considering it's essentially Marvel's first cape graphic novel.

It's probably older than most people on Sup Forums I'd reckon.

Meh

There are some nice world building moments, especially with the HSH, W'kabi, Monica Lynn

But god damn... it is literally "t'challa goes here and gets beat up" on repeat every 5 pages. Everything from Killmonger, to crocodiles, to Baron to monkeys... it just never stops.

And T'challa doesn't even fucking win. 100 pages of getting his ass beat and he saved by a child.

It is a pretty book but good lord... its dense even for the Bronze age.

I know a lot of old fans hate it but... someone new to comics nad black panther isn't gonna wanna read Bronze Age stuff.

- tribal politics
- okoye
- nakia
- ross
- m'baku
- running up walls
- vibranium weave suit
- claws

That is pure Priest.

only Hudlin stuff is the "always been advanced" and Shuri... who is actually nothing like comic shuri

Coates did that? Considering how hard he's been dick-riding the Obama legacy lately, I find it hard to believe.

>he's been dick-riding the Obama legacy lately
Drumpf makes previous Presidents look great.

I guess? I'll leave with this statement since this is for comics and cartoons, not politics:

The sooner the Left realizes that Trump only won because of their ineptitude, the better off they'll be as a party. Ironically, they would fare better with a white candidate in 2020, but identity politics has killed that party for white men.

>but identity politics has killed that party for white men.

Lol source? You realize that the internet isn't real life right?

The data bears that out, user.

>Trump won white voters by a margin almost identical to that of Mitt Romney, who lost the popular vote to Barack Obama in 2012. (Trump appears likely to lose the popular vote, which would make him only the fifth elected president to do so and still win office.) White non-Hispanic voters preferred Trump over Clinton by 21 percentage points (58% to 37%), according to the exit poll conducted by Edison Research for the National Election Pool. Romney won whites by 20 percentage points in 2012 (59% to 39%).

pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/behind-trumps-victory-divisions-by-race-gender-education/

How can you purport to be the party of working people, but lose working people is beyond me. Again, D ineptitude made this possible.

I thought you said you were leaving, Cletus? Nice "source," anyway.

>Not recommending Kirby
Shit list

>Priest’s run
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the only reason people cared about Priest’s run is because the main character was a white dude. Black Panther was a supporting character in his own book for most of this five year run

>McGregor
See. This guy know what’s up

>recommending Kirby
shit taste

this tbqhfamaladingdong

Ta-Nehisi Coates is weird in that while you can tell he's doing an absolutely outstanding/eloquent job of writing in and of itself ,it is not good comic writing. If he was writing a black panther book then the story would be 20/10 game of thrones tier. When constrained toa comic book on the other hand it's missing some tiny yet important and immaterial thing that grabs you. The vocal critics here say that it's boring but that's technically not the case. It's that noone (reading) gives a shit about what's going on. If anyone could actually bother to care about the cast and Tchalla's 50th mid-life crisis then it would be a loved run instead.

Go with Priest's run. It's basically the non-Hudlin part of modern Wakanda when it's first being fleshed out. Kirby is also a classic of course. If you ever forget that he's a genius then that run makes you recall why.

Stan pls

Yep, basically this.

I liked BP in Avengers - Red Zone. He got a few good lines in at least.

aka I haven't read any

this is a good theme song

I opened this thread expecting a massive Sup Forums shitstorm the minute Coates' name is mentioned in reference to his non-fiction work, and instead I got thoughtful, nuanced, responses.

Thank you Sup Forums for being the best board.

It's the expository fundamentals necessary for serialized fiction that he lacks. Explanatory dialogue and captioning, that blatantly points out to the reader who, what, and why. His non fiction, while never really subtle, does rely on the emotuinal fervor of polemics. That's a lot harder to convey in monthly, plot driven serials. I read the first 3 trades and the book definitely reads better in trades, especially the arc about Shuri returning from her near death state. I could see how Coates was communicating heroic qualities that could actually apply to real world activism or struggle (which for me has always been the best part about comics: what would Alan Scott do? Never give up).

Coates did improve a bit, from what I read. Around issue 10 he does start using expository dialogue a bit more.

It's a thread about comics which means Sup Forums and Sup Forums aren't here.

Coates run is really bad. He doesn't have chops for writing fiction.

His ideas are pretty cool and original for Marvel right now and cape comics in general. I'm hoping it will real better in trade form, that usually solves a lot of problems writers outside the comic world have in comics.

eh... its window dressing that its different.

Season one was nothing but a rebellion... a very small rebellion that only worked because Coates self limited T'challa and Wakanda with "im distracted" and "we are spread too thin" crap that he made up on the spot.

Season two is... Hydra? Stane? Gods? Klaw? there is no focus, it is all over the place. He is trying to pull a Hickman or an Aaron with these multiple plot lines but he simply isn't good enough to do it.

And the biggest fundamental issue is that he simply doesn't like Black Panther. He likes Aneka. He likes Shuri. He likes Ramonda. He likes Chang. He likes Storm.

And I still haven't figured out why Eden is around.

>Explanatory dialogue and captioning, that blatantly points out to the reader who, what, and why.

This could easily be solved by a good editor who points this out and helps him structure his stories differently. But I doubt there is a single good editor left in the Marvel comics division.

>I'm a huge fan Ta-Nehisi Coates' non-fiction work

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Doom War is the only BP centric thing I’ve read. Haven’t read it again since it released. Thought it was pretty neat.

What does Sup Forums think of it?

"Doomwar" is a shitty story written by a nobody whose only objective was to wank his pet character the maximum he could.

The fact that this story is liked by Doomfags says everything you need to know about the Dr. Doom fanbase.

>The fact that this story is liked by Doomfags says everything you need to know about the Dr. Doom fanbase.

Yawn, 2/10.

That said, DW was okayish. .

Try talking to him, taking him out for a drink or a dinner, work from there.

>I have no idea if he has storytelling chops
he's obviously a noob in fiction, especially COMICS, storytelling.

He did check basically all the common errors of bookWriters-turned-comicbookWriters.
I do believe he should have started with a 6-issues self-contained miniseries instead, and then do another after evaluating the critics he'd get.

>the couple issues I tried felt disjointed
first issues are told in a non-linear manner.
Which can easily turn-off people.

>. If anyone could actually bother to care about the cast and Tchalla's 50th mid-life crisis then it would be a loved run instead.
Making the readers love the cast is integral part of the duty of a writer, though.
Failing that, you fail a big part of your job.

Also, he lacked the ability to correct manage page-time.
He writes like he's writing a book, but a comic book works differently.

In short, his main problem was the lack of experience as a comic book writer.

>But I doubt there is a single good editor left in the Marvel comics division.
I think there are a couple, and they are busy with something like 50 books.

But yeah. I think they have lost PAD's "Notes For Writers From Other Mediums" memo. It would have been really useful.