Jason mentions killing Joker would be nothing as morally questionable as killing Two Face, Penguin, or Scarecrow...

Jason mentions killing Joker would be nothing as morally questionable as killing Two Face, Penguin, or Scarecrow. The first two can be sympathetic so it's understandable, but SCARECROW?

Penguin is worse than all of them, Joker included.

Scarecrow has a couple times been able to have a heart, even if entirely for students he's taught. Usually he attempts to go straight, takes a fondness for a promising student of his, and then returns to full Scarecrow mode to fuck up someone making the student's life miserable.

>Infested a church with killer bees

Penguin seems cool to me.

I like when they do that sorta thing with some of batman's villians, where they legit try and become good again but get messed up someone, either by trying to do the right thing, or being forced to mess up in some way, like what happened with Pengiun in the animated series.

NOT THE BEES
AAAAAAAAAAHHH

Why did he laugh

holy fucking shit

The chef was laughing at something else, but the Penguin thought the chef was laughing at him.

Ok I'm scared.

He was probably laughing at something totally unrelated like some joke the guy he was talking to told him, but Penguin is crazy so he assumed the chef was laughing at Penguin's freakish appearance.

such a fucking piece of shit

>Crazy guy about to stick her with an infected needle
>Its literally a needle, not a syringe

Why? It's already pretty damn dark, would showing a syringe be too much

It's weird how comic Scarecrow seems to be the least evil Scarecrow.

for years I have been remembering this page to stop myself from being an asshole to strangers since you never know

You shouldn't be an asshole to strangers regardless of retaliation.

Sometimes bullies get it right.

That's because every other medium says "Hey, what if he wasn't such a big joke?"

Well the chef wasn't even being an asshole. Penguin is just overly sensitive & extremely vengeful. Moral of the story is don't ever offend anyone, even accidentally or unknowingly.

All of them are just as far gone

What is the context in this? What did this guy do to Penguin? Also, did Penguin then get his ass kicked by Batman?

The comic joke villains always get super dark and serious treatment in adaptions by other mediums.
Like Clayface in batman arkham city

I'm still waiting for a morally gray Riddler.

The Riddler should just be an information kleptomaniac. He stills information because he wants to know everything, and he trades it because he knows it's power. That's also why he constantly talks in Riddles - he loves the feeling of superiority from knowing more than you.

Sometimes he sells weapon schematics to Gotham villains. Sometimes he trades information and leads to Batman in exchange for 2 minutes of using Brother Eye or access codes to Luthor's new facility. He doesn't go out of his way to commit crimes or kill people, but he has no qualms doing so as long as it gets him more information. Batman keeps a close eye on him but lets him run free since he's not as big an active threat as his other foes, and because he's useful as a information broker too.

>What did this guy do to Penguin?
Accidentally bumped into him.

Scarecrow is mentally ill, whereas Joker is irremediably insane. Dr. Crane just has a very unhealthy obsession with causing fear; I could agree with Batman saying prison is the moral response to his crimes.

Personally out of those listed I'd say Penguin is the second worse, unlike most of Batman's villains he's sane, he just chooses to perform mass murder and torture for money.

His point was that Joker was the worst of them all. That if anyone could possibly be an exception it was Joker, specifically because Joker killed Jason.

I wouldnt be able to resist laughing at him again for being such a massive bitch. Would he skin me alive?

Well that's the point, innit? They may TRY to be good people, but they're fucked in the head. Arkham isn't a jail, it's asylum for the criminally insane, for those broken beyond their own ability to fix.

It was never about sympathy.
Jason was arguing purely because Joker wronged him, he doesn't care what Batman does with the rest just that he cared enough about Joker killing him that he'd put him down.

This is how you destroy people. Fuck.
So cause the joker killed him he's automatically the worst? Isn't his issue more with bruce since he did nothing about it?

You know, when it comes to horrific crimes and a ludicrously high bodycount, I think Pyg is worse than the Joker.

Also Zsasz, but he isn't as bad as Pyg.

>I want to see a version of the Riddler that isn't the Riddler

How is that inconsistent with Riddler's core character tenets?

THE PYG IS IN HIS STYYY

The Riddler's core character is "LOOK HOW MUCH SMARTER I AM THAN YOU". Playing ball with Batman and other villains, and essentially being a middleman, wouldn't sit well with his narcissism. He also doesn't care about information unless it can be used to prove his intelligence, so he has an endless supply of trivia that he's memorized to taunt Bruce and the GCPD, but not any kind of massive dox database.

And let's be honest, you just came up with a shitty OC straight out of a redesign thread.

Shane it can't be recrated in marvels make a comic app.

What better way to reaffirm your mental superiority than to have the Bat himself come begging you for help? Some "World's Greatest Detective" he is, can't even solve his own mysteries.

Remember that riddles are just as much about knowledge and trivia as they are about raw intellect.

And also don't forget that the Riddler did have a brief stint as a Detective.

Please stop trying to justify your redesign.

>plz stop

ok

For a moment there I thought it really was just bumping into him but I guess it was a little worse than that.

What are the chances the cp used to frame his best friend came from penguins personal collection?

“Playing Ball” is what you would call it? It would be tauntomunt to extortion. The Riddler as designed by user would be obsessed with knowing. He have an unrivaled network of information. This Riddler would pride himself on finding the answer to every question that could be asked. This would allow him to lord over those who come to him for aid. His customers would know this Riddler is a prick. They would know he would condescend, dripping with self-satisfaction and contempt. They would know they could only learn a dark secret by providing a dark secret. They know they’ll get the information they seek in the form of a confounding riddle. All this would be open knowledge, and still people of all kinds would broker information with the Riddler, because of the intel base he had built. The Riddler would love this. Superheroes and Supervillans trading him the deepest lore they have in exchange for info the Riddler has cracked years ago. The Riddler’s ego would runninth over. He would keep tallies of how many times a single person sought him out for help. He would count it every night, knowing that even the most gifted must at some point turn to his vasr intellect.

It’s a great idea for the character.

But sure man, you played Arkham Asylum so shit on that guy’s idea and pretend you know what you’re on about.

So if criminals were actually killed off, perhaps by competent police even, would Gotham stop being a perpetual shithole? Not like real police have too many issues with shooting armed or even unarmed suspects.

Scarecrow hasnt killed anyone really, at the very least he has the smallest bodycount of all Batrogues.

Can someone explain the point of making the Penguin such an edgy piece of shit?

Maybe they couldn't think of any other way to make the fat weird guy threatening while keeping his general theme intact.

Well that, but it's also you seem them TRYING to be better, like actually genuinely trying to be good people despite their fucked mental's, showing that despite how messed up they are there's still good in them.

On a related note that's generally why Batman doesn't kill his villains, most of the time they legit need mental help.

This. If it was about sympathy Jason wouldn’t have used Dent as an example because he killed his dad.

The Penguin was never threatening or dangerous. He's always been a walking joke on old money and high society. Recent adaptations started to highlight how pathetic he really is.

Came with making the "crime lord" version of the character increasingly more dangerous and unstably irascible. Look at him in the Arkham games.

>The Penguin was never threatening or dangerous.
I mean he was pretty threatening and effective on his very first appearance. He managed to turn the police against Batman and all. Also he used his ridiculous appearance to hide how cunning and intelligent he is. He even managed to get away in the end. Why did you think he became so popular in the first place?

DC is obsessed with making the Batman villains as edgy as possible because apparently fanboys won't like them unless they have bodycounts in the thousands.

Although as much as I hate that Joker's Asylum one-shot for how ridiculously edgy it made the character, Oswald has always been a vindictive piece of shit.

Because at the end of the day, no matter how many times they try to reinvent the character into some horrifying mass-murdering monster, Jonathan Crane is just a big nerd with a fear boner in a spooky costume.

How he's edgy?Mafia bosses do this kind of shit all the time.

Its not edgey, its showcasing how insecure Oswald is. He desperately wants to be recognized as a high society savant adored by everyone, but he can't recognize genuine affection, and always thinks people are out to screw him.

Fuck.

Do you know how unbelievably petty and vindictive you'd have to be to set everything up so spectacularly that you're able to drive someone to suicide in less than two months?

Like christ, that requires a genuine autistic obsession with that particular person, as well as constant monitoring of their activities and movements just to mess with them as they're living their lives.

I fucking love the spitefulness of it all, but goddamn, is this all the Penguin ever does with his time?

I think most people around him know better than to piss him off.

You have to remember that Oswald is a financial genius and has pushed out the older crime families with good reason, partly due to his ruthlessness. His entire organization, and social life, is fabricated. After so much abuse growing up, he can finally create the fantasy he always wanted, which is essentially what Bruce Wayne pretends to do in his spare time. Anyone who tampers with his fantasy, or touches his insecurities, becomes a prime target.

>is this all the Penguin ever does with his time?
It's not like he has to get involved himself since it's his henchmen that do it for him.
But yeah, Penguin's been a nasty and vengeful fuck ever since he gained a backstory in the late 60s
I'm gonna post another example of Penguin screwing over someone's life that I thought was done better than the one in Joker's Asylum.

For context, this guy right here named Carter was one of Oswald's friends in boarding school and would stand up to defend him from bullies. He became a senator and he went on television talking about how the Iceberg Lounge was an evil place that would be demolished to make way for Gotham's future reforms.
Penguin thought he was joking and invited him over to dinner, but the guy told him he was serious.
So, naturally, this happened.

I've seen conflicting information regarding this, but do you guys prefer Penguin's employees respecting him, or pretending to adore him out of fear?

did he actually ate the head?

I prefer when his employees are shown to respect him like in Gotham Underground where they all have genuinely nice things to say as he's sending them off so he can die alone.
I generally prefer Oswald as a class-act even when he's doing monstrous things (like in these pages I'm posting)

We never find out.

This reminds me, are the Batman Adventures trades worth reading?

Absolutely.
The Batman Adventures are some of the best Batman comics of the past 25 years.

Is Gotham Underground the one where he and Riddler share a bottle wine before departing to the events you mentioned? i can't remember

If he was going to shoot himself anyway wouldn't it have made more sense to tell people what the Penguin did to him before pulling the trigger?

I doubt you do the same on Sup Forums user.

I think he was well aware that if he did anything like that, everyone he ever loved or was related to would die horribly

Yup, that's the one. And it's also the one where Penguin gives Riddler the keys to the Iceberg Lounge because he is sure he is going to die.
All said and done I don't think Gotham Underground was a great series but I think it had some fantastic moments for Penguin's character and that to me makes it well worth reading

Penguin explicitly made him aware he was also willing to ruin his family if he did anything of the sort.

I kind of like that Penguin and Riddler get along relatively well because even though Riddler is both mentally ill and obnoxious, Penguin can still understand Riddler as a fellow criminal and not a rampaging rabid monster like so many of Gotham's villains become.

The beauty in what the penguin did to this man, is that he managed to do it without killing a single person. At least not directly.