Why is the Earth kingdom such a shithole?

Why is the Earth kingdom such a shithole?

there are tons of baby-making non-bender normies and they ruin everything for the benders

They've been losing a war for 100 years.

>literally an entire continent
>shithole

is bending genetic?

And not all the earth kingdom was shit, its actually pretty good considering their king was kept in the dark about everything, been in a losing war, and is fuck huge and hard to manage as is.

it was established to be genetic in korra, which is the dumbest shit ever, imo

Europe exists

Cuz it’s reminiscent of China :’)

Zaheer did no wrong
God only knows how many starve to death every day in Ba Sing Se, not even Aang did something about it

earth kingdom is an analog for china (specifically it's "missed opportunity" when it recalled it's expendition ships) becoming isolationist?

considering they can be self sufficient and nothing in europe (other nations) is worth conquering, the earth kingdom/china is a big prize for everything else and nothing to gain if they are on the conquering side (other than territory).

...well how the fuck else do you becoem a bender? how did the airbenders go extinct if it aint genetic?

yeah thats stupid then as there is no logical reason there would not have been eugenics programs going.

user, I don't know if you have noticed, but Sup Forums loves to bitch about every single detail in Korra

I thought it was like the force and just sorta happened randomly to people.
Like toph, her parents were not benders right?

It was always partially-genetic you tard

How do you feel about genetic magic lineage like in Harry Potter?

or katara's family.

Because it's huge as fuck and covered in terrain that makes it fairly difficult to keep things stable. Plus the whole 'losing end of a 100 year war' thing.

Two non-benders can make a bender, but that doesn't mean it isn't genetic. Mako and Bolin's parents probably weren't benders too.

>the most prosperous region on Earth by far
>shithole
You're gonna have to troll a bit harder than that...

There was though. Azulon made Ozai marry Roku's granddaughter (Ursa) so his kids would be better benders.
Recessive genes

korras dd was a waterbender dont know about mom

It's both random and genetic. Random people can birth benders, and benders can birth nonbenders, but if you're a bender your odds of siring other benders goes up. That was how I always looked at it, anyway.

>People freezing to death in winter because they can't afford the heating bill.
>prosperous.

even if two non benders have a kid it still can be a bender if there grandad or some shit was a bender

>everything wrong with Avatar is Korra's fault
I hate Korra too but come on.

>random and genetic
no random about it its genetic it can be a bender or not even in a long line family of non benders you can have a bender if you have ancestors that were benders

>Europe
>Continent that was the site for the most human deaths in history
>Most prosperous region

And here comes the patented Sup Forums "B-But Africa!" comment...

There's a aptitude and lineage for it and it's hard to do it without either.

Prosperity is determined by more things than life ratio user.

it was always that way fool you think a water bender and lean earthbending

who has a higher priority when bending mud: water or earthbenders?

Depends on the amount of water or earth.

50/50

You can only bend the 50 then.

i wonder what modern fire nation will look like

Generally, nations that have had empires in the past are highly advanced even after giving up their empires. I'd wager the Fire Nation is the most technologically advanced nation in the world in Korra's time. Especially because they industrialized so early.

It would separate, dumb dumb.

this 1 fire nation 2 earth kingdom 3 water tribe 4 air if you even count air sine they barely even got there shit going again

I wonder if Aang started to panic once Katara popped out a waterbender and a nonbender.

Earth kingdom have the best bitches.

nice!

definitely.

how much did Aang prioritized Tenzin over the others once he learned he can airbend?

what about when harmonic convergence happened and random non-benders became airbenders? that's spiritual shit, not genetic shit

That was bullshit that didn't need to happen to create more airbenders.

>random non-benders
It's quite possible that they had recessive airbender genes.
Look at Bumi.

it still gives credence to the notion that it's more than just genetics. spiritual magic had to unlock that shit. if harmonic convergence didn't happen, then those traits would not have shown up in them, and only potentially in their offspring

Well I guess when you don't have to stretch the budget as far

I agree it's more than just genetics
I think "personality" plays a role too
All the benders we've seen embody their element, or sub-type, in some way. e.g. I don't think it was a coincidence Bumi and Zaheer, arguably two of the most naturally-spiritual people in the show, unlocked airbending.

Bending is genetic, if it wasn't there would be airbenders born from fire/water/earthbenders. But spirituality plays a big role too, probably deciding if a person will be a bender or a nonbender while genetic decides what the person will bend. the harmonic convergence most likey actavated dorment genes in peope who had air bender ancesters

I just don't like it as a solution to the airbender population problem.

It's a combination of spiritualism and genetics.

The given reason for why all Air Nomads were benders is because their entire culture was very very spiritual. They lived ascetic, detached lives, and because of that, all of them were benders.
Air was always different. Just look at the way these people lived their lives. While the other three nations squabbled with each other, Air Nomads only wanted peace. They aren't quarrelsome or close-minded like the other nations, and this combined with their high degree of independence, meant that just about every single one of them was a bender.

Someone like Sokka, whilst he is a good person, just isn't even remotely spiritual, so a bender he is not. That's not all there is to it -- Azula for example is clearly just a bender because that's what was necessary for her to be a proper antagonist, but considering she's of royal blood, I have a feeling the royal family are all benders, due to a habit of only marrying other benders. Even if Ursa wasn't a bender, bending is probably just prominent in Ozai's bloodline at that point, so both his children have a high chance of being benders.

It's worth mentioning that Earthbenders tend to be buff dudes rather than spiritual. But they're not very GOOD benders, because they're all brawn and no brain. King Boomy had both, and it was his genius, highly independent mind that made him possibly the world's strongest bender. Toph isn't spiritual, (until Korra,) but once again, she's highly independent and very willful, which seems to be a running them. Even Katara, who always seemed like such a normie in the beginning, was revealed later to have a strong resolve that you wouldn't expect.

>I will NEVER turn my back on people who need me! EVER!

Also if you're born in, say, the Water Tribes, you'll never be an Earthbender, unless one of your parents was from the Earth Kingdom. If genetics did not play a part, then benders would be evenly distributed, and there would be no element-based nations.

If bending is genetic why don't we see international breeding/marriage? The first generation could bend two elements, while the second generation could bend all four.

Because it doesn't work like that.
At best, it just gave Bolin lava bending.

I like this, this makes sense.

It probably just nullifies it.

>doesn't work like that
Nice explanation.

Breeding being genetic is headcanon horseshit.

You get one bending or the other or neither, like Tenzin, Kya and initially Bumi. You can't get more than one.

There's a reason why the Avatar is the only one able to bend all 4. Spirit and Lion turtle bullshit, but still a reason.

>You get one bending or the other or neither
>You can't get more than one
Why? Genetically speaking, what prohibits them from dual bending?

You don't know? Then shut the fuck up and stop spouting your headcanon like it's official.

Because the creators literally said that thats how it works in interviews. Word of God. And then they showed it time and again in the shows.

No one in either show ever has ever had more than one bending unless they were the Avatar. The Lion turtles and Raava said that a human body couldn't handle more than one element.

We've seen mixed couples between benders
Bolin and Mako
Aang and Katara's kids

How much more proof do you need?

>You don't know? Then shut the fuck up and stop spouting your headcanon like it's official.
You're doing exactly that you retard. Worse is that you have zero proof for your dumb fan theories.

>those identical twins in the early episode the fortune teller, where one was an earth bender and one wasn't

explain