Conan the Barbarian Returns to Marvel

news.marvel.com/comics/82990/conan-returns-marvel/

Finally, Conan can be the sassy black woman he was always meant to be.

STOP KILLING DARK HORSE YOU FUCKING TWATS

>SJW marvel
>doing something has violent and masculine as conan justice
Fat chance, i hate to see how theyll fuck it up

>announcment January 2018
>for something coming early 2019
What the fuck Marvel

I guess that explains why Bunn's Conan the Slayer suddenly stopped.

More's the pity since DH was so determined to do his entire life story even if some parts were weak like Brian Wood's run. I think they were almost half way through.

A year ago I would've been furious. But marvel has gotten better since Legacy I think

>Hellboy
>Buffy
>Alien (which will probably be Marvel's soon)
What do they even have left?

JUST

Based Yoshida-sama is making Marvel great again.

Oh joy, so now he'll go from 80s manly to fucking pretty boy like they did with Thor

Man, this is bad news for Dark Horse, isn't it?

Does Marvel have anyone nearly half as good as Barry Windsor-Smith or John Buscema to draw these anymore? Because Conan needs some manly man artists to really sell the aesthetic.

Deodato

They just agreed to the deal- they still need to line up writers, artists, etc. and get issues put together. And modern artists are slow as fuck, so they need a year lead time to make sure there's like 3 uninterrupted issues ready to print come January 2019.

Serious question: what's stopping literally anyone from making and publishing Conan stories? The legitimacy of the copyright claim seems thin at best and could have a good chance of being shot down in any court proceeding.

Tracing Men's Fitness doesn't fucking count.

Then don't announce it until then. For fuck sake, where is my fucking Miracle Man?

And goodbye Dark Horse but seriously Marvel has been destroying them by taking their liscenses

Then you get Ribic

Jesus Christ, that'd be horrible.

Now Ribic, that could be good. He just needs enough time to do it right.

Limited market appeal?

Oh man, I can't wait for Ribic's Conan to come out in... September 2043?

So how long until Dark Horse is dead?

Nothing. Roy Thomas can get away with owning and licensing Red Sonya to Dynamite, which is also set during Howard's Hyborian Age.

Who knows it’s they’re basically a dead horse by now

Is the Hyborian Age itself public domain or something? Because near as I can tell, there's nothing stopping anyone from using it.

Don't bully him

Get Simon Bisley to draw it.

Ribic is busy with an Image series.

>Ribic is busy with an Image series.
September 2063, then.

>Ribic is busy with an Image series.
Fucking, VS was announced, what? two goddamn years ago now? The fuck is taking so long? The only Image book taking longer to come out is Feel Better Now.

Trademarks.

Marvel is not known for treating their non Marvel IPs and non capeshit characters well since the 90s, unless it's a big seller like Star Wars. This is a bummer.

>The only Image book taking longer to come out is Feel Better Now.
Ronald Wimberly announced like 2 Image books three years ago and they don't even get updates from him about it outside of "I'm still working on it"

>CONAN® and/or CONAN THE BARBARIAN® and related logos, characters, names, and distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks of Conan Properties International LLC unless otherwise noted. All Rights Reserved.

Fuck no.

Feel Better Now was announced more than three years ago. I think even Hickman forgot about Feel Better Now.

VS was the cover for Image+ in November, so I think it's coming out soon.

Legit trying to think of some Dark Horse comics I can add to my pull list to support them. Legit worried for the guy who'd have nothing but Hellboy and Usagi Yojimbo left.

Based Yoshida-san is the shining light that will save marvel comics.

They're doing ARMS comics later this.

I hope that they release an omnibus of the old comics.

Black Hammer

*later this year

Now they only have Godzilla to recover

So are the Dark Horse comics now Legends?

Unfortunately, this.

>2019

star wars electic boogaloo CONAN edition

In a way every story about Conan is a legend.

>tfw no more future Wonder Woman Conan crossovers
Shit, it was fun while it lasted

If they're not Howard stories they're already non-Canon.

Try reading books without pictures.
Seriously though, I found the original stories to be the best version of the character

Marvel can have Buffy, it's right up their alley.

Also ROM.

I'm still waiting for a Malibu imprint.

Did they buy the character or just license the rights to publish comics based on it?

I guess I would need clarification: do trademarks somehow outlast the property itself being in public domain somehow? Because it seems pretty clear that Conan as a property is public domain.

>tfw no more future Conan crossovers, period

I guess they’re there own thing I hope they keep publishing the omnibuses

They’re just licensing them

I can see the end.

Unlike patents and copyrights, trademarks do not expire after a set term of years. Trademark rights come from actual “use” (see below). Therefore, a trademark can last forever - so long as you continue to use the mark in commerce to indicate the source of goods and services. A trademark registration can also last forever - so long as you file specific documents and pay fees at regular intervals.

Oh well, maybe they will reprint the classic runs with the original coloring, at least?

The only good thing about this is that Marvel can finally reprint those What If issues with Conan in them. Except the X-Men one since that has Red Sonja in it.

Has Marvel had any crossovers with other publishers since the buyout by Disney in 09?

>original coloring
>2018

Surely you jest.

They have Neil Gaiman's entire history of novels and short stories they have been translating into comics.

And Karen Berger

>Except the X-Men one since that has Red Sonja in it.
Good because that one was shit.

They have the Mask, Avatar the Last Airbender.

I really hope Disney/Fox let keep AVP.

CROM, WHY DO YOU PUNISH US LIKE THIS?

None as far as I know. They're probably too greedy for that.

Does this mean the Hyborian Age is back in Marvel canon?

Does this mean we can get based KULAN GATH back in continuity????

Avengers/Attack on Titan.

Why can't I enjoy both. The original Dark Horse Conan with Busiek was fucking amazing

*let Darkhorse

Dark Horse is going to have no choice but to do an entire Nintendo comics line now, right?

Ugh know Marvel has a rich history with Conan but dear god with their current writing staff who the fuck is gonna do this?

this is going to suck

this will make the worst previous Conan comics seem like Shakespeare by comparison

thats it

Shakespear was awful.

Shut up, Bacon.

Will Crom kick Shuma-Gorath's ass again and make Shuma-Gorathfags everywhere cry?

How long until Conan is turned into a transgendered quadruple non binary seahorse?

I did not know that! Very interesting. So even when people say characters are "public domain" it's still a tenuous sort of thing in regards to how said characters can even be used by the public? Like a very specific narrow sort of interpretation on what is and isn't okay?

Marvel doesn’t own the character. They’re just licensing him. The owners of Conan have control over what can and can’t be done with him.

MARVEL CONAN, WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE?

Jason Aaron probably. Looking at it him suddenly quitting the SW ongoing makes sense if he was making space for doing Conan.

You can use the characters, but you can't publish it as the Conan the Barbarian or Avengers or Slayer because the trademark is owned by another corporations. But in Marvel's case since a lot of their Conan stories was done under license they probably don't own the actual stories either and could open them up to a lawsuit from that company if they continued to use him..

It depends on the character. In some cases you can use them, you just can't have them in the advertising material, their name or image on the cover, can't do anything too similar to later stuff that's not public domain, etc.

>First the Mouse takes Star Wars
>Than he gets Aliens and Predator
>Now it"s Conan

What did Dark Horse do to deserve getting cucked so much? What's next? Marvel's Hellboy?

Wasn't there a time when Conan was canon to the marvel universe? Canon The Barbarian,
if you will

R-remember me?

So how fucked is Dark Horse now that a majority of their best IP are gone and they’re gonna have to milk hellboy dry

Marvel did Foolkiller like last year dude. The whole tragedy of Marvel Comics is their shit is all fixable, they're just useless at fixing it.

Goddamn, Cebulski-san is already making Marvel great again and it's only been about two months.
>Gets Conan back (does this mean Cebulski is trading in his katana for the Savage Sword of Conan?)
>Gets rid of garbage like America and Iceman (but at the cost of Gwenpool)
>Responsible for the first intercompany crossover since Disney purchase (Avengers/Attack On Titan)
What's his next move, Sup Forums?
Just like Rom, Godzilla, and the Micronauts, Conan has never left Marvel canon.

Hellboy is owned by Mignola so he’s not going any where. Besides he’d would probably go to DC before Marvel anyway.

We can hope since Disney works with other publishers like IDW to make comics for them despite owning Marvel they can make a deal with Dark Horse so they can keep AVP.

Crom.

Goran Parlov?

Recommend me the best Conan comics, so I can purge the soy out of my body

Conan is a nancy boy pinko faggot
t.Slaine

Ah yes based Akira Yoshida makes Marvel great again

Anything written by Kurt Busiek for Dark Horse and the original Marvel comics.