Would Homestuck be a good story if she stayed dead?

Would Homestuck be a good story if she stayed dead?

Go to sleep Andrew

There wasn't much point in any of the characters dying.

There wasn't much point in most of the characters in general

It might be better if she never died at all. There's better ways to resolve that character arc.

this,Andrew simply kill them for shock value but make it in the most silly ways possible so you don't feel shocked at all

Stop trying to make Homestuck into a shitty SoL. The cast, even after being killed off, was still way the fuck too big. Thinning the herd was necessary, and in the cases of Vriska, Eridan and Equius, was needed to show not only that characters could die and were vulnerable, but also that characters could in fact fail at achieving growth.

The only downside to death in Homestuck is that Hussie didn't have the balls to stick with it, and introducing not only an extensive afterlife, but then removing it's more abstract and disturbing elements, and then jamming it back into relevance, making death pointless.

Homestuck would be a good story if she never existed at all

The plot didn't need to completely warp itself around one character who showed up halfway through

Vriska dying only works if the afterlife is only slightly alluded to or never shown at all and the characters are actually upset about how bullshit and nonsense the game is because of said death, fulfilling the arc by actually making her finally achieve meaning in death and leaving a big question mark over whether she could have actually changed for the better.

Vriska living only works if it worked as an alternate conclusion to her arc, having her fade into the background and never be relevant again as a sort of cosmic karma for her need to matter and showing that the strict black and white ideas the game abides by aren't as worthwhile as acting like rational human beings and having empathy and the willingness to forgive.

She's built up way too much and given far too many sympathy/"it's not entirely my fault" points to just die a futile, stupid death with no real feedback from it, especially with the size of the cast. That's what the other characters are for. If there were only 4-6 trolls it could work, but there's too many of the fuckers and just too much Vriska focus for that kind of thing to be satisfying.

>>Homestuck would be a good story if she never existed at all
You mean
>Homestuck would be a good story if it didn't introduce more than 4 trolls and didn't add any more shit beyond Scratch.

She works if the trolls are just a shift in focus for a single act that has thematic purpose and she doesn't really show up in any meaningful capacity after Act 5, but the way it actually played out is unsalvageable even if you remove her. Fuck, she's probably one of the lesser problems of Act 6.

Homestuck would have been a good story if Act 6 was the length of Act 4.

Her death wasn't futile. The entire time after her introduction in Act 5 she was racing towards a moral event horizon. Hussie's ability to first make her so irredeemably vile, and then introduce so much moral ambiguity and possibility, climaxing in in a moment that so well encapsulates both aspects is actually fairly impressive. And then, to have the balls to have it end in tragedy, a tragedy which was fully built up from moment one with her, makes for one of my favorite moments in the entire comic. If it was just the end of her being evil, then who gives a shit, she deserved it, if it was just her being a poor dindu, it's lame anti-climax. But it was both, and it's both tragic and expected.

But then it was ruined, and she learned nothing and her character regressed to garbage, and then even that was undone, and her character was set all the way back to the very start of 5.2, for literally no reason.

There are a lot of salvageable characters and moments in act 5 and beyond. They would have to be severely reworked and take up less of the plot, but almost all of it could work without Vriska, in theory. Even the dancestors would be charming if they stuck to being a background joke.

That was my point. It's futile if the death doesn't serve purpose. Having her show up again as an actual character renders it entirely meaningless. It only works as a tragic event that you can't actually blame Terezi for going through with and the end point of the character, 100%, no take backs. She is DESIGNED to only exist for a single chapter.

Her death has to be succinct, tragic, inevitable, reasonable and have an impact on at least two major characters to have value. The cast is just too big and she has too much focus for it to work any other way. Similarly, having her live *only* works as a massive anti-climax for thematic purposes and if you never make her say another damn word for the rest of the story.

The story's better with a hypothetically well-executed Vriska than a hypothetically well-executed Jane or Rufioh. At the end of the day every character went to shit, and it's a matter of determining how you could best utilize them.

The trolls are the perfect example of quantity over quality. I'll admit I liked a good number of the trolls and I was led to believe they would stick around for at least a little while but then 2/3 of them all died!
I remember especially wishing Eridan and Nepeta had got some more time but nope. Hussie made all these characters for people to get attached to only to kill most of them off in rapid succession.
I really miss Alterniabound...

Killing them en masse was fine. There was never going to be the time or a good place to actually get in-depth with each and every one of them.

Probably should have been less of them, though. If there were six in total we could have covered the whole zodiac between them and their dancestors and make more pointed, effective parodies in the dancestors as a whole.

>Vriska better than Jane
FALSE

Where the hell would you even take Jane? You have some built up frustration and a lame path towards being a cartoon villain, but that's kind of it.

>I want to bone Jaaaaake.
>I'm insecurrre.
>Don't call me faaaaaat (has canon big tits and ass).

No. Jane's boring and annoying. She does nothing but beat herself up and stick her nose in other people's shit and it's grating.

Is mind control really all that "cartoon villain"-y?

Only if it means that Davekat never happens.

Imagine Karkat or your favorite troll having this much depth as Vriska.

>Artist tries to draw short character.
>Just draws a normally proportioned character and makes the other(s) 8 or 9 heads tall.

Every time.

That was kind of the point.