Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L0nuQ5o2DYU
homestarrunner.com/trogdor-canvas/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

rip flash

>Flashless Homestar Runner
That seems fucking wrong, I don't know.

Thank goodness webkino will live on.

HTML5 is capable of the same shit. It'll just take time to get it working.

youtube.com/watch?v=L0nuQ5o2DYU

Programming brainlet here. HTML5 can do complex animations and shit?

It can do more than Flash and faster since a few years now. It's just that there's no central software to do your animations with so people usually have to program their own, or export Flash animations to sprite sheets

"The land of 10 thousand nopes."
I haven't seen these guys since Joss Whedon was making firefly. God bless them.

In Flash, you have a timeline for animation, and everything is played back with a player. It's really easy for animators since it lets you draw frame-by-frame. You can also use Actionscript for any complex functions, like file operations or networking.

HTML5 is a slew of different technologies that work together. There's an html tag that lets you draw shapes in it which you manipulate with Javascript. If you want a timeline you have to buy another piece of software, and it's easier to just make it video with no interactivity.

The reason internet animation for HTML5 was stillborn is because most animators don't want to write thousands of lines of Javascript to make worse looking animation than they'd have with a timeline.

well damn my thread is still up

How long before studios drop Flash and use HTML5?

More likely they'd move to Toon Boom.

homestarrunner.com/trogdor-canvas/index.html

Trogdor the game in 60 FPS.

Today is Trogdor's 15th anniversary.

happy anniversary

May he never get the black lung.

Never because HTML5 is not an animation tool

Now I don't know much about web programming, but won't something get lost in translation? Do they have to actually re-do the whole thing from scratch or is it just a one-size-fits-all, Flash-to-HTML/JS process?

>they have to actually re-do the whole thing from scratch
and it won't be fun

I feel like Flash only kept on existing because of Homestar Runner

Flash was actually implementing an export to HTML5 feature late in its lifespan. Idk how far it got.

The thing is that while everything they did in Flash is technically possible in HTML5, functionally it's impossible because there are few to no artist friendly frontend tools for animation and interaction.

I remember a couple years ago when the HTML5 hardliners were celebrating finally having the ability to dynamically load fonts.

RIP indeed.

Flash

But yeah, they announced they were going to try to unFlash Homestar Runner like what, 2 years ago after Flash's glaring security issues led Adobe to abandon it.

Coach Z reviewing 70 year old military rations when?

>after Flash's glaring security issues led Adobe to abandon it.

That wasn't what happened at all. Apple owns the patent on the HTML canvas tag and wanted to remove access on their platforms to a propriety technology owned by another company. They used their position on the board that writes web standards to push for something that could undercut Flash.

Additionally, many browsers started blocking plugins from running and started requiring you to jump through hoops to reenable them, which cut out any kind of common usage Flash would have, especially now that platforms like YouTube have moved away from Flash Video and towards the QuickTime-based MP4.

They only just recently upgraded Flash.

And if I recall they hired a company to help them reprogram the stuff to HTML 5

Horh, no hass

>This site is best viewed using netscape 1.0 or lower

so does this mean they are going to start doing stuff again? I know they do cartoons here and there, but I mean like SB Emails and stuff