"The idea that anybody, young or old, past or present...

>"The idea that anybody, young or old, past or present, was bullied or teased or worse based on the character of Apu … it's distressing," he said at the Television Critics Association winter press tour (via The Wrap).
>"The idea that anybody was marginalised based on it or had a hard time was very upsetting to me personally and professionally.
>"As far as what is going to happen with the character going forward, it's really not just up to me.
>"[The producers] will definitely address — maybe publicly, but certainly within the context of the show — what they want to do, if anything, with the character."

In 2018, Apu is now racist. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fEj0Gjw6iVo
cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/theres-problem-apu-now-theres-film-154604.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Regardless why The Simpsons is cancelled, we can all blame it on this assprick.

you don't think there is any sort of racial stereotyping involved in how he is depicted?

Yes, in the early 90s it was rare for any southeast Asian to be on TV in such a prominent role. But art reflects the time period in which it was created, and times change.

Why is everyone so sensitive nowadays? Are times that easy that it created weak people?

>the Simpsons gets cancelled thanks to this guy
wtf I love this assprick now

Earth is becoming the Neutral Planet.

You live?

Interesting that you equate 'sensitive' with 'weak.'

Perhaps people are just more aware of how race-based humour (like many scenes involving Apu) often amounts to little more than laughing at people who are different.

Many Apu scenes derive their comedy from great writing or his unique character. But a great many also are lazy jokes that essentially boil down to 'it's funny because he's Indian.'

Please tell me The Big Bang Theory is their next target.

slowpoke

Apu is definitely a stereotype but at the same time he's also a three-dimensional character.

dude I watched that whole thing and the guy's real issue seemed to be "why aren't I as successful as other Indian comedians" and "how can i be a famous comedian without being funny"

youtu.be/fEj0Gjw6iVo

This.

liberals want to get rid of hard working, USA-loving, Apu because he's makes economic migrants and illegals look bad by comparison

c-can we at least make fun of the white foreigners with funny accents?

I don't really understand why he's going after The Simpsons and Apu instead of Indian representation in the entertainment industry as a whole.

I think so. You don't see anybody complaining about Groundskeeper Willie or the funny German characters from the land of chocolate? Apu is already a deeper character than most of the side characters on the show.

Didn't mean to include a question mark there. Sorry, haven't slept much.

I mean, Apu isn't really the problem, he's more like a fallout.

Well, it is true that Apu became fuel for racists. I think that people shouting "thank you, come again!" at anyone with brown skin has been a thing since the mid 90's.

I don't think it's that big of a deal since it's not like the racists who latched onto Apu would have magically not been racist had the character never been created.

It is an unfortunate truth though that Apu has been a part of a lot of bullying against kids with brown skin.

Same reason people like him go after "offensive" characters in media. It's easy. The fact that the general populace consumes popular media and equates real life to them (eg. Harry Potter comparisons) basically guarantees views of some sort. These people don't want to make any real change happen because real change requires confronting society biases and realizing that Western culture isn't the only racially/gender insensitive culture out there.

Apu has always been pretty racist.

I mean, Pakistanis are scum.

He is a literal stereotype.

Whether or not you think it's offensive or whatever is your own prerogative, but he is a literal racist stereotype. I think it's an interesting topic even if I have no dog in the race, but trying to shout a dude down for having an opinion that makes you uncomfortable is kind of pathetic.

How is he racist? And this is far more than one man's opinion.

C'mon.

>Friends now on Netflix.
>Millennials are shocked at how "homophobic" and "misogynistic" it is.

Not that I'm saying Friends is good or anything, but this is just the way it is now.

White dude doing a thick indian accent for a joke

but are they actually shocked, or are they just teenage girls with blogs writing teenage bullshit?

Is it wrong to make funny accents though? The show is full of characters like that.

I think the article was just citing some random people on twitter saying the didn't remember the characters acting homophobic or something like that.

The people that start this sort of empty controversies over race or sex -- i.e. liberals -- are also very loyal to corporate brands and mainstream media. If you check their twitter or tumblr feeds, you'll see how they talk about anything but the most mainstream series and the most widely advertised AAA video games. Indie works or foreign media will happily being ignored, even if theoretically those should deliver the exact kind of product they seek. Want to watch a sappy, feelsy series full of drama and non-white people? I dunno, just tune in a Mexican telenovela.

You'll only keep hearing them whine about Hollywood being too white, you're never going to hear them complain that Bollywood is too indian or that Chinese cinema is too ethnocentric.

>millennials
>teenage girls with blogs writing teenage bullshit
Like there's any difference.

Well when they were first making Apu, they specifically asked Hank not to do that voice, so I'm guessing someone did

Yes?

>they specifically asked Hank not to do that voice
Link?

Not him, but I found a reference to it in the comments here.
cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/theres-problem-apu-now-theres-film-154604.html

"in the Simpsons commentary tracks on one of their early seasons, the subject of Apu is brought up and the writer in the room w/ Groening on the commentary track specifically states he asked Hank to do anything but a stereotypical Indian convenience store sort of character/voice and Hank Azaria came back w/ exactly that and only that then in interviews later on would say the writers requested it which irked the writer on the track. The character kept going obviously but the writer seemed to say it was not at all the intention/direction Apu was meant to go in."

Interesting, don't know which episode has the commentary though.

Of course there is. "Millennial" is a really generic term(you're probably one), and teenagers have always been overly dramatic dummies.

No reason to give any weight to some teenage girl exaggerating some bullshit on her blog as if that's a reflection of the state of our society as a whole.

>gas station right down my street run by an Indian
>the leader of his local 'tribe' the Patels
>super nice to everyone
>stereotypically loves to haggle
>owns 6 other small businesses/other gas stations

The guy is the living embodiment of Apu and people respect him. Hell, if they didn't you seriously do NOT want every Patel in the state putting you on their shitlist and they will if you are any kind of racist/asshole. People need to stop virtue signaling on tumblr.

Well, if they're not going to bother proving which one then it never happened.

trying to discredit opinions you don't like by saying they are just opinions of teenage girls is very sexist and ageist of you

>No reason to give any weight to some teenage girl exaggerating some bullshit on her blog as if that's a reflection of the state of our society as a whole.
Yeah, that's what people here used to say about tumblr and the "SJ crowd" back in late 00s to the early 10s, and look where we are now.

Times aren't even easy right now. The middle class has incredibly low purchasing power.

Isn't this the same guy who quit his show because a white guy liked one of his jokes a little too much?

Why would an Indian man from India not have an Indian accent?

People have always been like this. It just mutates with the times and seems more commonplace cause the world is wired together now.

People have always been whiny little bitches. 50 years ago these SJWs and feminists would be quoting the Bible to justify their stupid bitching. The only difference is that now religion is less mainstream so they come up with bullshit secular excuses to be fun-hating prudes.

What I've never understood is why black people making jokes about white people isn't also considered "racist" nowadays?

I mean, Fresh Prince always did that. Yet nobody cares?

Being sensitive to things that can't hurt you is weak.

You misspelled Yes.

>and look where we are now.
They're still just a loud minority.

He probably wasn't Indian yet, like how Ralph wasn't originally Wiggums kid or retarded, Skinner wasn't a vet, etc.

>you were born just in time to watch the American middle class go extinct

>pulling all millennials under an umbrella
the tumblr crowd is a vocal minority, and people love to bitch about the bitches

Why would the color of the voice actor's skin matter?

>putting the Simpsons out of its misery is a bad thing

The loss of a concrete cultural rival. It's all been downhill since glasnost.

Yes, but people are taking them seriously as if they are the voice of the majority.

i've never seen this mentioned outside of Sup Forums.
give it a fucking rest with the outrage.

>a little too much

Slightly missing the point there. It was like the difference between the people laughing with you and laughing at you. He realized that his comedy wasn't being received the way he wanted it to, and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. It's not that he didn't like white people finding him funny.

There were a lot of other reasons he called it quits aside from that, but you can just watch an interview for that stuff.

>White dude doing a thick indian accent for a joke

You do a Russian accent, a German accent, English accent, the people annoyed are the ones coming from those countries, the difference is if someone not white tried doing their accents for a joke it's not seemed as racist or insensitive, but if a white person, hispanic person, or someone does it to a country where the Country is primarily of someone of another race it's immediately racist.

Racism is primarily a focus of the western world, because we have the largest History with it coupled with the fact that that Western countries have the highest population of migrants as opposed to east from west, but I really doubt the kind of culture the west has given itself that if the East ended up having anywhere near as high of an immigrant population as the west did that they'd have anywhere near the level of vocalization against Racism despite xenophobia being in some of those countries backgrounds.

This is a really sensitive subject, but can you really say in your lifetime you haven't had an experience with an Indian/East Asian migrant convenience store owner in your lifetime? I know most people have, and in most cases it's the best and most memorable customer service people tend to remember having too, Apu isn't someone that was bad, stereotypes played into the creation of his character, but to remove stereotypes is to remove ones own culture too. Part of it seems over the top just because how out of the place it is in the community of springfield but anyone that has experienced a town similiar to what springfield was designed off of, most likely also experienced their own kind of Apu.

Eitherway, all these politics in cartoons is stupid, if racism, misogyny, homophobia are always going to be problematic themes in cartoons might as well just ban all human characters in the first place.

dose the race of the voice actor really matter if they do a good job as their character? samurai jack is voice by Phil LaMarr, whos black. dose that make the show racist then?

is pretty much it. People have always been self entitled and obsessed with shutting down anything that doesn't fit their prerogative. The difference is those people now have a much larger platform to ruin things, and the agendas pushed are different than they used to be.

>It's not that he didn't like white people finding him funny.

How is it not like that?

user, you don't get to decide that it never happened

He wasn't designed as Indian. They had a convenience store character, asked Hank not to do the voice. He did it anyway, crew found it funny, so it stuck.

>Interesting that you equate 'sensitive' with 'weak.'
What's so interesting about it?

For starters his comedy writing partner for most of his career is a white guy, and he's always been surrounded by white friends, he's never been anti-white. The problem was racist hicks who took his comedy as a sort of caricature of them funny negroes, when he would just be trying to point out some funny things in black culture.

Like, imagine as a kid you can do the truffle shuffle with your fat belly to entertain your friends, and everyone laughs in good fun, but then some older boys demand you dance for them and they laugh at you as well but in a completely different way. Your friends are laughing with you doing the funny dance and the older boys are laughing at the fat little faggot shaking his titties. Chappelle was happy doing the dance for his friends, but then he noticed the older boys laughing as well, so he stopped dancing.

I'm no good with analogies, but whatever.

White people when making fun of minorities
>"lol just get a thicker skin haha it's not racist dude lmao stop being so sensitive"

Literally any single time anything remotely considered a joke is said about white people
>"THIS ISN'T FUNNY THIS IS FUCKING RACIST IT ADVOCATES WHITE GENOCIDE I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS GARBAGE WAS ALLOWED THE PEOPLE BEHIND THIS MUST BE FIRED AND HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR HORRIBLE ACTIONS"

Not a bad analogy.

>>Interesting that you equate 'sensitive' with 'weak
How is it not weak?

Wonder if it has anything to do with the prevalent notion that ONLY whites can be racist...

This is stating the obvious, but it's not always the same person saying those things, so it's not necessarily hypocritical.

you worded that post wrong, you should have just said was This guy is going to be why every episode with apu will either have to be banned from use again or heavily edited

Does anyone still care about this?

are they calling it homophobic because of Ross not liking the lesbian that married his wife?

It’s always been like this everywhere but now it’s become easier for People to spread their opinions and feel more entitled

There are jokes about White people? Show me some.

I think people forget this. People like So I. He's not like a one off family guy character used to make a racist joke.

The funny thing about Apu is the main stereotype is that he worked in 7/11 except now most Indians in America have pretty good jobs like doctors or computer programmers so the stereotype doesn't even make sense to many millennials. Also I think the whole point of Apu's character was to illustrate immigrants as hard workers who weren't afraid to work a job some would consider dead end and work their way out of it.

>vocal minority
my favorite meme.

No because your example doesn't involve any white people

You must spend your entire life on Sup Forums because this doesn't happen in the real world.

>Making fun of Indian male stereotypes is wrong!
>Making fun of white male stereotypes? Hilarious!

Christ, the liberal media double standard is so shamefully blatant

Go to fucking /ck/. everyone gets extremely fucking offended when anyone says white people hate spicy food or cant cook.

I don't even get where that comes from, I never even heard of it till memes.

>Interesting that you equate 'sensitive' with 'weak.'
Are you literally retarded?

it's really insane.

A lot of people like to clump in entire races as having shared culture, so there isn't a single dish or spread that can be considered "White people food". The problem with that is that it doesn't even think about the different cultures within the White race. Brits, Scots, Germans, each of them has some kind of famous and stereotypical dinner.

Being sensitive is being defined as 'aware' here. As in "quick to detect or respond to slight changes, signals, or influences". You're not less weak if your eyesight is bad, or you can't discern the mood of the person you're talking to.

>now racist
He was always a race-based caricature but that doesn't really matter if they manage to use that to say something interesting or constructive.

>In 2018, Apu is now racist. Thoughts?
Well he is Indian, of course he's gonna be racist.

I think this is an amazing example.

If it were a joke about black people eating chicken, it would just be described as WELL BLACKS LIKE CHICKUN, not broken down and explained and black people would just have to take it.

There are something like fifteen broad ethnic groups in India, a shitload of languages, and hundreds of subcultures, castes and education levels. Obviously it's okay to have An Accent but arguing that there is a singular Indian-English outside of the cultural perception of that idea just doesn't hold up under scrutiny. You WILL meet people who speak that way and are from India, but you will meet equally many who speak with a different form of accent.

People were already sensitive. Our ability to communicate today is far better than it was even 10 years ago.

>Why is everyone so sensitive nowadays? Are times that easy that it created weak people?
People used to get assblasted because Bart said damn and hell. People have always been super sensitive, but what they are sensitive about changes.

If you don't know this you might be too young to post.

I remember when you couldn’t wear Bart Simpson shirts in school because they said “don’t have a cow, man”.

Simpsons used to be considered an edgy show. What a time it was back then.

If I were Indian, I'd rather be associated with Apu than with real life India.

When I think of India, I think of:
>Garbage everywhere
>Poverty
>Homelessness
>Begging orphans
>Human sex trafficking
>Overpopulation
>Job outsourcing
>Starvation

I mean, what else is there, besides "DOCTOR OR LAWYER" parent memes, which the Asian kids already have.

I’m a big fat neck beard who likes comic books and quite frankly I’m outraged by the depiction of comic book guy in this cartoon full of stereotypes that’s existed for 30 years.

Actually it's for a character.
he is portraying a character, it's called "acting" Just like how the people in movies aren't actually flying around or fighting aliens/zombies.

Are you saying they're dudes pretending to be other dudes?