Why are superhero's whose main abilities are strength based, like The Hulk...

Why are superhero's whose main abilities are strength based, like The Hulk, drawn with body builder like aesthetics (abs, V waistline, low fat mass) when a powerlifter's body like this would be a lot more realistic and suiting to their powers?

I don't think artist know very much about this kinda stuff.

You can have strength while maintaining a low bf.

>a low bf.

I can have strength while dating a short guy?

yes, but to have the strength of a powerlifter, the strongest men in the world, you do have to have some bf. Thus it would make sense for a character whose abilities revolve around strength to have a more strong-man type build.

What's a few pounds of fat to someone who could destroy mountains?

Agreed, strongfat hulk from the Avengers movies and the 2003 movie are awesome.

Comic book strength has absolutely nothing to do with human strength.
It involves people lifting object that could never support their own structural weight. They press ludicrous amounts of weight (often standing on surfaces that themselves would never support the weight.) and their punches should logically launch man-sized enemies out of the county if not into space.

Body mass, body fat percentage and all of that shit is the least improbably thing about it.

I mean, there are at least 3 physically impossible things going on in this picture.

The guy has a floor that can take the entire weight of a major continental plate in the area of Superman's feet. The arm is driving down on Superman with the force of said continental plate without bending, heating or otherwise showing much signs of stress or fatigue.

Comic books are written by the guys who doodled in Science class and flunked physics.

The writer of Nu52 Superman probably didn't even realize he was making Superman magnitudes stronger than he ever was in All-Star.
Their math is shit.

Dumb arse.

No one told Marius he was being strong wrong?

Yeah I'm with you friend, where's all the realistic, scientifically sound writing in my cape comics?

I never said it was about what was possible or not. I just said it more realistic and suiting. Superman is more about his namesake, he's not only super at being strong, he's super at everything. It makes sense he'd have a perfect body too.

Look at how Frank Quietly and Alex Ross draw Superman.

>I just said it more realistic and suiting
There's no physique in the universe suited to Superman's strength.
>Yeah I'm with you friend, where's all the realistic, scientifically sound writing
It would simply be nice to have writers who realized that Mercury, Gold and Platinum are all heavier than lead, and who bothered to use a fucking calculator once in a while.

See, I have no problems with just throwing out "He Did It With Speedforce" or "The hero used his reversing-ray".

But if you are going to throw actual numbers around, try not to look like a dumbass writing for dumbasses.

The "bodybuilders aren't strong" meme is retarded.

You understand that at the time the Hulk was created bodybuilders and powerlifters were the same fucking people, right?

Even Arnie and Franco and guys into the 80s and 90s were competitive power lifters even while training for body building competition.

>slim but powerful
>fat but powerful
wow so hard

If we try we might be able to get the OP to tell him.

As a hulkfag you just triggered me like a feminist in southbeach. You ever read a Hulk before the year of our lord 1990? No, no you have not. Historically the Hulk has been portrayed as a wide monster man thing with the anatomy of a refrigerator. It's only in the past twenty five years he's been shown as a green Adonis.
OP is a fag

We've been over this, when your strength reaches superhuman class there's no feasible way muscle mass is involved, unless you're Giant Man or something, ergo physique becomes irrelevant the higher you go and is chiefly just used for conveying visual the idea of strength.

That's the point of super heroes. You stupid cunt.

Yeah. Flash is faster than light. So?

realistically to have the strenght to lift mountains you should be as big as a mountain.
Strenght depends on the size of the muscles, but in the case of people like to HUlk there is no relation between their size and how powerful the are.
Hulk or Superman could be be built like a scrawny female accounant and their strenght would make as much sense as it does now.

I want a man like that to crush me

Capeshit has no basis in reality

Fuck you

>Alex Ross draw Superman

like a 60 something former bodybuilder who is holding his breath to not show his gut?

I imagine the problem isn't that Flash is faster than light so much as the fact that the writer went ahead and gave explicit numbers and stated he was going less than the speed of light. It's trying to make descriptive impressive feats without the simplest effort for them to make sense, even in context.

>Why are superhero's whose main abilities are strength based, like The Hulk, drawn with body builder like aesthetics
Because ripped muscles are more visually impressive and comics are all about the Rule of Cool ( with a bit of homoerotic subtext ).

What always bugged me was the Same Body where they all look like He-Man action figures ( the hulk being an exception, ironically enough, as he was visibly more exaggerated ).

I'd strongly prefer it if Thor looked like OP's image, Captain America looked like Arnold, and Iron Man looked more or less like he does in the movies; rather than all of them looking the same with different colored costumes.

I've also always hated when characters like Iron Man/War Machine/Box/other power armored dudes had sculpted abs and visible veins and tendons in their arms and legs so Iron Man functionally looks exactly the same as Captain America wearing a helmet.

haha. I wonder what his semen tastes like.

>Doesn't get standing brojob while he does his OHP sets

Never gonna make it.

The real ones look like that because of the diets they have to follow in order to maintain their strength to meet the requirements of their sport, save for one or two true exceptions like the GoT mountain fellow for example

On the flip side, characters like Batman are usually drawn way too big for their dexterity, speed, endurance, and general lack of ever sleeping.

This guy gets it. There's a lot of flak for sameface but not enough for "samebody". The worst part is that body positive movement hijacked that idea so now we get different bodies but it's actually get fat acceptance.

no homo

Because power lifters are gross and have fucked up physiques compared to muscular & lean gym bunnies.

First of all, I don't agree with OP, but I don't think it's correct to say physique and muscles are irrelevant with superpowers.

Certainly, superstrength can make a scrawny guy be able to lift 5 tons, but if this guy managed to train and make his muscles better he would be lifting 11 tons.
I personally like when super-muscles are just "relatively working" in a superior scale, and can be trained and get better on that scale.
Doesn't mean they should all end with a powerlifter's body like OP implies though, since the implications of superstrength can make things (like the advantage of having a some bf in strength competitions) very different at those levels.

Power lifters have NO STAMINA due to lack of functional strength. They can lift something really heavy maybe once or twice to qualify for the next round and then they desperately need a 30 minute break before they can lift again. just look at /fit/. they believe cardio is the devil

>but if this guy managed to train and make his muscles better he would be lifting 11 tons.
why? That's just a rule you're making up in your mind.
Sure, you could make a version os superstrenght that works in the sense that, for instance, each muscle fiber generates 100 times the power of a normal huan fiber, so the more muscles they have the stronger they are.
In that case making them bigger could work.
But for instance the HUlk gets stronger with anger even though his mass doesn't increase as much as his power, so obviously there is no direct correlation between muscles ans strenght for him.

they diverged though since. Mr Olympia dudes can lift atlast stones and shit, sure, but they aren't pulling planes.

Like a linebacker rather than a quarterback, yes. And it's proper superman. Tim Sale draws him the same way.

>tfw no buff bf to hold me in his big strong arms and let me curl up into his big warm chest
feels bad man

>The guy has a floor that can take the entire weight of a major continental plate in the area of Superman's feet.

Nope, if you knew anything about comics you would know it's all about superman's bioaura protecting the floor

>actually defending Ross' art and his decision to draw superheroes like a bunch of overweight pensioners in costume

well, to each their own I guess

old school hulk was drawn like this

or going even further back
like this

I literally said in that post that "I personally like when super-muscles....".
I'm aware not all superstrength in capecomics is caused by supermuscles. But I lot of cases do imply it (or explicitly talk about super dense tissue or the like). In said cases it's not illogical to assume that if the source of their superstrength is their "super" muscles, then if said tissue is trained and becomes better the character would become even stronger.
Notice that "becoming better" doesn't necessarily imply becoming bigger when we're talking about muscles. Normal people in our world can gain significant functional strength with little volume, or in other words, in muscles the relation between volume gained and strength gained is pretty unbalanced favoring strength.

>being this contrarian
Ross doesn't draw great action, the rest of what he does is top shelf and you aren't worth your own opinion if you say shit like that. Tell me, who's "your" superman?

i think it started with proffesor hulk when they started drawing him like a body builder instead of a powerlifter

He's right though, Ross makes superheroes laughable

he's wrong though, and so are you.

see how that works?

Who draws your favorite superman, user? Jim Lee?

ross makes superheroes look ridiculous. It's like an afterwork cosplay meet-up.
It's like a bunch of failed actors reliving their youth.
It looks like the set of a cheap costme show.

>won't tell me his favorite superman
>doubles down on being a contrarian faggot
oh so you're shitposting for (you)s? Figured as much. There's a lot of you around here this weekend.

Ross draws (paints) Superman like what a powerfully built man would look like in actual clothing, as opposed to Lee, who draws him like an on-stage bodybuilder body-painted blue and red.

This is because Lee learned to draw people FROM reading comics, rather than, you know, actually drawing people. A lot of the 90's artists have no grasp of anatomy for this very reason.

This is the same physique Lee uses for Superman, Cyclops, Reed Richards, Gambit or any male superhero, really.

Jim Lee is really not any more talented than Liefeld, he's just gotten technically good at what he draws.

> bench-pressing

I find that he's much better at inking than anything else he does.

>The writer of Nu52 Superman probably didn't even realize he was making Superman magnitudes stronger than he ever was in All-Star.
>Their math is shit.

It's called "Lobdellized"

t. fatty powerlifter

I won't lie that made me pop a half chub

>Jim Lee
>No grasp of anatomy

which is pretty funny since he was originally planning to become a medical doctor

Thats why mcu hulk is probably the most realistic depiction of such a thing. He actually has some fat in the movies also most of these guys in comics either are constantly fighting or have taken some form of ped