Endtown Update - Race War Edition

It's been a while since I've done one of these, but today's update seemed like a good moment to look back and reflect. I'll be posting the last three months of Endtown updates, starting from the conclusion of the Heather Hoss Trial.

For those who need a refresher on the arc leading up to this point - after leaving Holly, Wally, Kirbee, and Chic we returned to Endtown, where things have not gone well under the new administration: the community has started splintering into factions, citizens have gone missing (we now know they weren't merely abducted, but were actually butchered and eaten), and tensions came to a head when wolves burned down a laundromat and the owner killed an attacker in self defense. In the midst of all this, Walter tries to comfort the sister of one of the murder victims, Dottie tries to start an anti-prejudice publication that gets taken over by wolves, and Jacob deals with a conspiracy to sabotage the community.

Let's get to it then.

Other urls found in this thread:

gocomics.com/endtown/2009/1/19
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck you woman, you know exactly what you were doing.

But why?
Poor guy, at least he tried

Oh boy, Endtown! I've been way too happy and well-adjusted lately!

man the apocalypse really fucked these guys up huh

They need to gas the wolves.

95% of the world wiped out, the surface inhabited by hazmat-wearing stormtrooper a who want to vivisection the survivors, you and everyone you know is dead or turned into a twisted Disney reject? I'm amazed there as well-sane and civil as they are.

Wolves did nothing wrong 2bh

Fuckin' shit
This is too much
I need to go eat or something

is where we are as of today, so that's all for now. I'll try to get in the habit of posting weekly or biweekly updates for the next couple months. Until next time, have a little something sweet to take the edge off.

OH FUCK!

CUTE!

MMM Whatcha Say

Fuck you I shouldn't have laughed so hard at this.

That look in the top panels.

Was he on the verge of a schism on top of everything else?

Really, with how smug Jacob was acting and how absolutely fucking retarded Lucas is, there's no way this wasn't going to happen.

Fucking brutal

Jesus... this fucking comic, man... it's so good but it's SO depressing.

Fuck yeah

SJWolf got what he had coming.

he was clearly a nazi wolf though

This thread is the first I've ever read of Endtown; this looks good and really compelling. I think I understand what's going on but, who are we rooting for?

Two sides of the same shitty coin.
Plus SJWolf is more fun to type

Not the wolves, but this is a fairly new development for me at least.
I stopped reading during the whole wally/holly/kirbee thing, it just got too much of a 'shipping wars' situation.

So how long has Endtown been a thing, for story purposes? I'm just wondering how long it took for the citizens to stop considering themselves human & start considering themselves animal-folk.

It's one of those weird moments when a set amount of the population turns into Something Else & is used for a metaphor for racial issues. The mileage varies on how well it's handled.

>Gary, I got this cyborg arm because I lost my regular one in an accident. 3 months ago, we were the same 'kind'.

If you want to know more, go back to the beginning.
gocomics.com/endtown/2009/1/19

Be prepared - it takes about a week to get through the whole story up to this point and the whole thing is emotionally EXHAUSTING. It's depressing, horrifying, terrifying, disturbing, and just occasionally a little sweet.

Nah. It's uppity black people getting gunned down down in the streets

actually its about the plight of middle eastern farmers

I think at the start of the comic it's supposed to be about five years after. By now it's probably closer to six or seven.

Living in a concrete mega-bunker underground under constant threat of genocide and starvation probably hasn't helped matters.

Fools, this is CLEARLY about those damn dirty yankees and how they like to move to Texas and then shit up the place.

nah, its about Chinese-Japanese tensions

Why are the wolves doing this? Were they eating people and Heather killed one of them in retaliation?

Ahh, okay that would make sense, that'd be long enough for stuff like this to go down. Some still basically thinking of themselves as human, others not so much, and then others like Jim going full feral.

Mr. Snowball's not fucking around. Do what it takes to keep peace I guess. I guess this will scare Dottie into not making any more trouble.

I stopped reading at that time too, but a couple of months ago, when the wolves trial started, someone made a thread again and I catch you again, and let me tell you, ohhh boy, the shipping wars are worth a pass just so you can get to this ark

The current riots were because of the Heather Hoss trial No one knows who's killing the pigs yet, but with all the hysteria and the 'wolf power' shit, people jumped to the conclusion that it was the wolves.

But it's worth it, in its own way. It's debatable for sure, there is still no happy ending for any of the characters yet, but I'm still hooked.

Still, the greater good sure must be 3 levels above Nirvana for all the bullshit that everyone is getting at this point

Thanks OP, I sure love me some Endtown to remember that my little problems ain't nothing in comparison

I have no read this comic yet, but been seeing it recommended this past week. What is the loose plot? Is this a world of animals? Are these humans turned into animals?

The post-Unity/Jim-God arc is worth reading because it delves really deep into Holly's past and the world leading up to the apocalypse and shit, and holy fuck is that a crazy, fucked up, and depressing ride.

desu i dont think anyone's problems can match up to the existential dread of living in their world

Yes and yes
It's like some End of the world shenanigans ala Fallout where the world went full M.A.D. and now is a giant parking lot, with the survivors divided in topsiders (humans not mutated that live on the surface with the last remainings of technology) hunting down the Endtowners and the rest of mutated population that banded together in an attempt to survive from all the bullshit that its going on on the surface, mutants, and themselves

It was almost certainly somebody other than wolves that was eating people but they got scapegoated as one of the larger predator communities.

From there, as with all things in the Endtown universe, it spiraled downwards out of control.

tl;dr version - people start turning into monsters and mutants (if you're awake when you get infected you turn into a fucked up Lovecraftian horror and if you're asleep you turn into some kind of Disneyesque talking animal). World goes nuts, World War Three starts and ends in a day - the entire surface is more or less glassed (the Wasteland). The uninfected (Topsiders) live on the surface and zealously hunt down the infected mutants. Most of the survivors live in secret communities like Endtown. The comic is set a few years after everything blew up and follows about a dozen different major characters and arcs set in this world.

Been a while since I read.

Is this story even about Wally anymore?

Endtown has always had changing protagonists

It's followed Wally on a couple of different arcs - but the comic isn't only about him (hell, he isn't even introduced until after Al and Gustine's arc). It followed him and Holly for a while after they left Endtown, but now we're back.

One of these days, maybe over the Summer when I've got a month or two on my plate with nothing else to do, I'm gonna go through the fucking effort of downloading the whole 9-10 years-worth of the comic and storytime the whole bloody thing.

you root for the main protag of each arc, that's it. everyone else is expendable. if you do read it you will meet a man named Marx... power through his arc its a slog but it gets better.

It's ABOUT GERMAN INCURSION INTO OTTOMAN TERRITORY!

FUCK, I forgot to check for a month. Need to read up.

>the owner killed an attacker in self defense
It's not clear that's what happened.

Fucking finally.

I'm not exactly rooting for Walt. He's pretty dumb and tends to blunder around and make things worse at least half the time.

Yeah, the evidence the cops (finally) found indicated that the cannibals are made up of several different creatures, and not just wolves.

I gotta say this has been a crazy ride, if a bit sluggish establishing Walt and Portia's deal, but damn...

Think the rats will literally kill *all* the wolves? Lucas was a rotten little shit to the end but his second to last words about them all being revolutionaries may have damned every lupine loser in Endtown.

She was followed into an ally by someone who made an explicit claim to attack her within earshot. She had every right to make a Jackson Pollock out of Lou's face.

This government is quite eager to kill away its problems.

Aaron

you are making me like Jackrabbit

How

HOW

This whole panel is pleasantly topical

This chapter was more satisfying than I thought.