Why was the wonder woman film so acclaimed?

I thought it was pretty generic and predictable.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_parentheses
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was mediocre. The definition of middle of the road.

Muh VV

flat boobies

You know exactly (((why)))

It pisses me off that Snyder gets the award for it. Part of the reason WW did well at ALL was because he had less involvement in it than the other DC movies.

The answer is 5/11ths of the title

Because Marvel took too long to make gamora/black widow/ms marvel/any other girl The Movie.
Wonder Woman suckks as a character and but since she has her own shitty origin movie where the spotlight is even more focused on her than before, its suddenly a big deal.

Oh how edgy of you

Wait, how is that edgy? Seriously, how the fuck is that edgy? Explain it to me faggot, fuckin' spoonfeed me.

The funny thing about the movie is it's not very feminist at all. It's about a naive immature woman who has no idea how the outside world works and has to have it explained to her by a man, and every time she deviates from his orders something bad happens, he ends up sacrificing himself to save the day like the hero of the story and the only time the female protagonist achieves anything is by simply enacting violence more efficiently than the men can.

You know exactly (((((()))why((())))))

Sup Forums is ========> that way

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_parentheses

>”Why does everyone say Sup Forums is anti Semitic??”

Better than burning in a ditch on the side of the road like most superhero movies

for the same reason mockingbird and squrrel girl have been nominated for multiple eisners.

Which is exactly what DC needed. Too bad they dropped the ball almost immediately.

That's why it was so enjoyable.
She felt like a flawed person instead of STRONG FEMALE PROTAGONIST.

It had problems, but it's kinda objectively the best DCEU movie.

Who else here actually liked the movie? I know it's cool to hate on it, but I didn't think it was bad. The final fight is a shitty CGI mess, but up until then I found it really enjoyable. Gadot's not a great actress but she and Pine had good chemistry, and the action was pretty good, too. Plus the world and set design was neat. The whole turn of the 20th Century aesthetic was interesting.

It was the best DCEU movie because the plot actually made sense.

Why aren't SJWs buttmad about a man getting an award for a movie directed by a woman?

Fun movie, Likeable characters. I liked it as well.

I really don't get it either. I was at a party and this girl was saying that Wonder Woman was a break through film, but she described it as "Thor meets Captain America"

It's so weird because it just seems like people are so desperate for something that they settle for the most obvious targets. Like Harley Quinn. They see one female character who has a very obvious personality, and they latch onto it. It's like we've been stuck with the, well, Black Widow and Gamora female characters with no personality that getting a character who breaks the mold is suddenly revolutionary.

Same as the MCU.

>likeable characters
>nice balance between quips and grimdark
>you're invested in the world
Honestly that's all I need in my capeshit movies, and that's why Wonder Woman was comparatively good.

I'll be honest, Wonder Woman seemed more like Starfire than Wonder Woman in that film.

So when people posted ((OOC messages)) in online roleplay they were being anti semitic?
Why do you hate muslims, you fucking racist, wanting them all to be killed..

Many people liked it. Remember where you are, Sup Forums is full of contrarians.

why was justice league not? given it has wonder woman + diversity

I think that's what bugged me the most about the film. Wonder Woman learned such an obvious lesson but even the lesson contradicted itself when Ares showed up.

Harley Quinn is a good character, and her relationship with the Joker is compelling. She's not a good person, but that's not what I'm interested in. And like you said, Black Widow and Gambora are boring af, while Harley and Diana are fun.

Because everyone was ready to hate Justice League.

(Christ how bored is this asshole?)

The biggest crime here is that they have it to Zack Snyder. Why? The movie wasn’t an absolute travesty, how much I put could he have actually had?

>Harley and Diana are fun.
No.

I'm very mixed on Harley. I used to love her, but I hate how she's able to do horrible things now and face no consequences cause she's popular. It's the equivalent of a character murdering innocent people cause they got in her way and she still gets happy endings in her stories. It's also weird cause literally nothing she says in Suicide Squad is funny and yet people latched onto that like it was amazing. It bugs me.

I feel like the movie landscape has been stuck with stick in the mud female characters for so fucking long that giving any of them a different personality than "roll eyes at the boys" makes them stand out so much more. It's kind of funny now that I think about it, but DC really did get knockouts with Harley and Diana in their movies while Marvel struggles to really get their females to click. The only two moments I really remember in the Marvel films with females is Drax bullying Mantis and Valkyrie drunkenly falling off the catwalk.

Why does female-lead capeshit ALWAYS has shit villains?

*have

Because it was the first female-starring cape movie that WASN'T absolutely shit.

Let's be honest, most of capeshit has shit villains when you go beyond the popular characters (Batman, Flash, Spider-Man, Captain America, Thor...kinda)

more limited or it gets rapey

I think this is it. It wasn't outright awful, so that gives it more mileage than say, the all female "We all want to be the funny one" Ghostbusters

Tbh, I'm remembering Harley mostly in the characterization from the og animated series and not Suicide Squad which I hated

Do you know how you handle female characters? Sadly, you got to treat them like male characters. Not that they're the same, but writers struggle with them for some reason. Just give them a personality for God sake and don't treat them simply as plot points. I don't want a female character just because she's female; I want a female character because there's good ones out there and I know that it's possible.

>what is context

Fucking retard

Because expectations going in were so rock bottom that it made the film a massive pleasant surprise for people, even if the actual film wasn't that special.
Also

What did Steve's sacrifice even do? I don't even recall.

>and the only time the female protagonist achieves anything is by simply enacting violence more efficiently than the men can.
And this is bad why? Being a superhero is all about using violence to solve problems.

I think that's a mega part of the problem. So many films have the girl for obligatory love interest for almost a century. The moment they pop up, you tend to stop caring. Anyone remember Dr. Strange's love interest in his film? Of course not, cause she was irrelevant.

Hell, with Kingsman, they introduced Roxy who was a character people liked and were wanting to see more of, but they flat out kill her in the second one cause Eggsy's actor was stuck on some Robin Hood film that Roxy had to leave and go to another shoot, so she dead.

FUCK ME, I get so tired of being hopeful in Hollywood. It's the same reason why everyone hated Rose at the end of TLJ.

All of capeshit is nothing but "It wasn't outright awful".

All of capeshit has awful villains.

Did anyone care about Roxy, though?
She was such a boring character in the first movie that I was shocked to see people being pissed off about it.
I was more upset about Merlin anyway

Fuck off.

I think it was because Roxy wasn't a love interest for Eggsy and the fact that they were partners that was appealing.

You know Merlin was supposed to survive originally? You know that suit in the weapon cache on the plane? It was supposed to be a ballastic gel that would let him survive, but lose a few limbs. But test audiences thought it was cheap.

To be honest, Merlin's death would have worked better if he stepped on the mine due to being out of the field for so long, making it more tragic that getting out the tech chair led to his death because he was inexperienced.

You hit it on the head. Do these romantic interests even have a point? Or is it just a lazy way for writers to create drive for their characters? To make a character more 3d, make up a flat female character for the protagonist to fight for. Or is it a case of the not gays?

>What did Steve's sacrifice even do? I don't even recall.
Took the ripping-off of The First Avenger to parody levels when a blond haired blue eyed American soldier fighting in a world war named Steve had to abandon the woman of his dreams to do a suicide mission to crash the Germans plane that was going to deliver doomsday weapons around the world.

Not the user you were replying to, but his death made no sense to me. I'm still hoping they shoehorn him in for the third one with some stupid reason.

>And this is bad why?
It's bad because we're told over and over again that the Amazons are meant to bring peace to the foolish world of men and Diana is so compassionate and she's been raised to know every language in the world so she can be a better envoy... then she just slaughters the fuck out of a bunch of conscripted teenage boys who she could take out non-lethally and her idea of bringing peace is just kill the final boss.

>just copy what marvel does, down to the shit villain
>people eat that shit up

It's kind of annoying because 80% of films have the romantic subplot, and 60% of them have the romantic subplot just sort of conflict with the actual plot. Like, Sharon Carter in Civil War is an example of just a useless diversion. Dr. Strange kind of detracted from the plot in a way that it felt like "we paid too much for this actress so we'll use more of her when we could have written her off at the start when she dumped him". Hell, the fucking Lois Lane bullet plot added a tedious amount of time to the BvS plot!

You can start to see why people tend to just skip female characters in films for so fucking long until the rare examples come along and they get so popular. Fucking Peggy Carter became so popular cause she was British! Admit it, if Peggy wasn't British, she would have been forgotten like Jane Foster.

Ah, right, right, thank you. I didn't care for Steve's character very much, he just felt like male version of the dull love interest you find in so many other films.

>It's bad because we're told over and over again that the Amazons are meant to bring peace to the foolish world of men
When was this said at all? The Amazons were warrior women and were happy to be isolated from the world. They didn't see it as their mission to bring peace to the world of man, they wanted no part of it.
>and her idea of bringing peace is just kill the final boss.
Yeah, because Ares was just going to come peacefully if Diana asked.

All of the above, user.

>I'm not racist I just act like a racist!

And because of her massive titties. Jesus Christ above.

>contribution to America's cultural legacy
nigger it's been out for a year. no one will remember this movie or any other cape movie twenty years from now when the fad has been dead for seven years. why are they awarding it for impacting our "cultural legacy"?

That's because America has no culture, so they need to desperately fill the void.

This meme would work better if half of Western culture wasn't based on American trends.

>American trends
Like jerking off while you're watching your wife get fucked by Tyrone?

>Simple enough plot for pseudo-intellectuals to understand
>Starring the (((breakout actress))) of the generation
>Current year

Dunno, but I had a good laugh when this happened here on the "female only" premier

Oh if the pic ain't clear the junk in the left is the goodie bag they gave to all the ladies who came to view wonder woman on ladies night.

Just more proof that any award given in Hollywood has no value and is just for the purpose of circlejerking and asspatting people who only got to where they are through nepotism.

By the way you talk I can already tell that you worship at the feet of the internet's biggest pseudo-intellectuals

>first female cape movie not to suck total ass
>one of DC's very few watchable non-Batman movies
It was a big deal.

not being grim dark helps a lot, but yeah it was kind of mediocre, and women only showings helped it, a lot.

>American cultural legacy
What a fucking joke.

At least until Ares showed up and undercuts the film own theme pretty damn heavily. It's one of those moments where following formula actually hurt the film quite a bit, and if he hadn't appeared Diana would've learned a lesson about human nature.

Because it was the first ever movie with a female lead. I read it on kotaku.

Oh this black meme again.

Tbh this black chick is beefing on a Demigod and thinks she wouldn’t be rekt. Get the fuck outta my face with this meta black fantasy bullshit. Just fuck off.
And the art is shit too.

>jew as epitome of female ideal
>"contribution to America's cultural legacy"

Good to see Americans still know who their masters are.

>Americas cultural legacy
>pic is related to "American culture" and is also mfw

I liked it but I'm a WWfag. It isn't among the best cape movies but most of the scenes were great and Gadot is actually acceptable. It didn't have enough action scenes overall, the final fight was bad and the team didn't have enough spotlight but otherwise it was neat.

>online roleplay

The medium of cinema is fucking starved for female centric action movies and despite the superhero being a staple of movies for decades its taken until now to get a Wonder Woman movie off the ground. And even though it wasn't perfect, its still better than the DCEU deserves after BvS.
Remember these words user: "Its not about what you want, its the consumer."
And there is a large swath of the consumer population that Wonder Woman caters to in a way that other Super Hero movies have failed to do.
As for me, I'll gladly take a DC film that doesn't focus exclusively on Bats or Supes. Especially the unnecessarily edgey Bats and Supes of the last few years.

a lot of feminists don't have their priorities straight so they overrated the shit out of this thinking this pointless film would dismantle the patriarchy

>Yeah, because Ares was just going to come peacefully if Diana asked.

It was not the surrendering bit he alluded, he meant that Diana's idea was skeweed by thinking that killing ares would flip a switch, which seemed dumb to everyone including, audience and other characters, all except diana.

But it was suppossed to be dumb, sadly then it became a videogame and it exactly did that.

>It's the same reason why everyone hated Rose at the end of TLJ.

I hated her more for stealing what would had been a very ballsy move on the movies part, but thats just the writing, no new main char can die, but goddamed, Finn going out like a hero or EVEN ROSE sacrificing herself, that would had finally put some stakes, they didn't even need to succeed, it could have shot, and make the hole all the same, but not stop them so fucking SHITTILY.

I don't like her because she's there to help blatantly pander to the Chinese market. Like a lot of other films that have been conveniently including either Chinese exclusive product placement or just Asian actors to appeal to the Chinese.

Her character had to be written in, but didn't have to be well written. Which turns her into Tokenism: the character.

This. But because it wasnt a fall on its face failure like BvS, DC wants to pretend its just as popular and beloved as say the first Iron Man movie.
That and 'feminists'. I hate to say it, but Hollywood this generation has been saturated by so-called feminists who think anything staring a woman in a position of power should be the most beloved thing ever. Just look at the fem-ghostbusters. All that hype, all that bullshit about sexism, just to cover up the fact that the movie sucked ass and had humor on par with a generic DUDE WEED LOL movie that went straight to dvd.

>pretty generic and predictable
And that's a bigger achievement than any other female superhero film in history.

Tank-Girl; Catwoman, and Elektra are the only female comic character lead movie, none of them were exactly successful. Which other ones are there outside of those?

Supergirl. But I'm probably the only person who remembers it exists.

It was one of the better DC movies and even then it was pretty awful compared to marvel, which is quite a feat.

Unrelated, but how butthurt were /his/ refugees on this board about the whole Ludendorff thing?

Because DC finally managed to make a movie that was merely mediocre instead of a total shitpile, a feat they hadn't been able to accomplish ever since The Dark Knight.

>this level of backpedaling

compare the rest of the shit pile that is the DCEU

And who would they be?

Ahahahaha cleaning supplies, weight loss crap and a bar of chocolate, which pr genius came up with that...

Sharon wasn't a romantic subplot and she actually did contribute to the plot tho and she was barely there to be distracting.

The only romantic thing that happened was her getting kissed by Steve in that one scene and it was something to signify that Steve was ready to move on.

Natalie Dormer kissed Cap in the first movie and it was a scene that served only to make Peggy jealous, that I feel was pretty useless and Dormer's character didn't do anything in that movie.

>Dat rant
I admit tumblr tends to overrate Peggy but she was fine in the first movie and you going "REEEEEE female characters" makes me think you're a fujoshit.

DCEU had shit villains and so did most of the MCU has shit villains too, it's not female exclusive.

It is female-exclusive since female capes always have shit villains, not just in shitty flicks.

rly tinkers the almonds