Stardust

So let me get this public domain thing.

It’s free and fair game. As in- any human being on earth could just start churning out Stardust comics and nobody could do shit.

Could it be re-copywrited? Or is this not possible.

Other urls found in this thread:

pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Public_Domain_Super_Heroes
youtube.com/watch?v=hPxmPdDQtQA
pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Grant_Gardner
pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Sub-Mariner
pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Human_Torch
youtube.com/watch?v=xLla5w2yZeA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not possible.

Well shit. No wonder Disney is pulling the long con on this shit.

Wait...Is that a...

Indeed. They're all up for grabs. I'm making a goofy webcomic about a city of heroes and villains and shit, why not use all of these guys?

Savage Dragon did the same I believe.

pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Public_Domain_Super_Heroes

I know it's not as over-the-top as Stardust, but Fletcher Hanks' Big Red McLane stories are fantastic.

There's a really awesome little indy story this one guy put out about meeting Fletcher Hanks now-elderly son. Turns out Hanks was an alcoholic piece of shit who abandoned his family and died penniless frozen on a park bench somewhere in New York.

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that intellectual property for works of fiction encapsulates two things: copyright and trademark.

Copyright is the right to reproduce and distribute something. Like, having the copyright to a Superman comic, like Superman #152 or something, means you can reprint it and sell it.

Trademark is for certain things that identify your product and make it unique. Owning the trademark to Superman means you get to sell products about a guy named Superman who wears a blue suit with red briefs and a red cape, and other people can't call their products "Superman" or make a product about a strong guy with laser eyes and a blue suit with red briefs and a red cape.

So, when it comes to public domain, if the copyright is public, you can take old Stardust comics and reprint them and sell them, if you want. If the trademark is public domain, you can use the name "Stardust" to promote your product, as well as the image of Stardust.

I'm probably wrong, tho.

What if Disney made a Stardust movie?

Trademarks can be renewed unless they're considered to be genericized.

Yes. Yes it is.
youtube.com/watch?v=hPxmPdDQtQA

What if a trademark expires for say, 50 years, and then someone tries to reapply it?

Stardust would make an amazing Miracleman-type fascist villain.

Then they would have rights to their own version, which would be called "Disney's Stardust" or "Disney's Stardust The Super Wizard".

Stardust is clearly an ancap libertarian, though.

Copyright laws were a mistake.

Not as a wholesale concept, but their execution has just been a long history of bullshit.

You could even reboot Grant Gardner if you were ballsy enough. Have fun battling with Disney lawyers for the next ten years. They may not have a case but they could drown you in legalities.

pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Grant_Gardner

>So let me get this public domain thing.
>It’s free and fair game. As in- any human being on earth could just start churning out Stardust comics and nobody could do shit.

As long as you're only using the stuff that's in public domain and not deliberately taking in anything from versions that have been copyrighted.

So you can use the Fletcher Hanks originals, and other public domain Hanks works, but you can't use the Alan Moore LOEG text story where Stardust was defeated by Mick Anglo's Captain Universe or the Erick Freitas/Ulises Farinas/Sean Pryor Stardust story from Amazing Forest #2 where Stardust creates life in another universe.

>Could it be re-copywrited? Or is this not possible.

There were some cases where things got recopyrighted. For example, It's A Wonderful Life got recopyrighted, because it turned out it was a derivative of a copyrighted work. And of course there's other examples of things that got recopyrighted because of international copyright laws. But as far as we know, Stardust the Super Wizard is generally in the public domain; it was made in the US, and the owner never renewed the copyright (it would've had to be renewed before 1967-1969, before the copyright laws changed in the 70's).

Things like Mickey Mouse and Superman haven't gone public domain because they maintained the rights regularly in the time the copyright laws changed. There are some exceptions, like the Fleischer Superman cartoons, some of the early Superman comic strips, and a Mickey Mouse cartoon and some comic strips; those are public domain, but the characters themselves still haven't fallen into pd yet.

And if you didn't know, the original Night of the Living Dead is public domain, which is why there's a lot of zombie stuff.

That's nothing, see if you dare go all the way and attempt to use the original Human Torch and Sub-Mariner from Marvel Comics #1 (and nothing else because only Marvel Comics #1 might be PD):

pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Sub-Mariner
pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Human_Torch

So let's hear those ideas you're totally planning out.

>Savage Dragon did the same I believe.

Erik did use a lot of them. He brought them in during an issue where Dragon was fighting Solar Man, an evil Superman analogue who initially had the power level of the 30's Superman but then had 60's Superman powers by abducting all the public domain Golden Age heroes and throwing them into his battery or whatever. All of them got freed.

Since then I think the one Larsen used the most was the Golden Age Daredevil. I can't remember who else he used other than him and The Claw.

OK so i've been sitting on this one for a while. and I plan on putting this in a comic With a bunch of public domain characters

Essentially my take on stardust him as A super wizard rather than THE super wizard.

bassically space cop emissaries working for a giant hivemind intelligence which sees itself as a godlike moral authority placed in our universe to bring order to sentient beings by psychically guiding them towards centralized vertical power structures...

(1/X)

>For example, It's A Wonderful Life got recopyrighted, because it turned out it was a derivative of a copyrighted work.

I think, in that particular case, the images from the film are public domain but the script and possibly the audio are still under copyright because of the short story they were based on.

my version of Stardust himself Being kind of like an asshole cop who uses the smallest violation to psychologically torture people. Because he can't use his powers to harm people who haven't broken local laws but he's a psychopathic sadist who loves turning people into disturbing body horror caricatures of humans Because his true form isn't really humanoid. But he HAS to take a humanoid form when in sol because the central entity he works for wants its agents to mimic the local race as much as possible kind of like a work uniform with mandatory flare like in office space(1999) so He hates humans visually

(2/X)

He's always kind of getting off on his power which is why he says shit like YOU ARE NOW IN THE POWER OF STARDUST but he's actually not really all that much of a superwizard He's a savant by superwizard standards intensely skilled in reconfiguring matter but almost incapable of manipulating space and abstract concepts like identity and life like a lot of other superwizards do.

another thing of not about him is he's very condescending towards humans viewing them as an ugly child race below him so he mostly uses his power randomly when things pop up on his crime detecting scopes (CDS) and televisional crime detecting unit (TVCDU) "these dumb fucking monkeys are fighting again"

(3/4)

fuck I'm too tired to write the rest ill do it tomorrow when I wake up

next time on SD:SW were covering the additional characters and reworked villains including THE SUPER FIEND

We'll try to keep the thread bumped, I guess.

So if Stardust is free, where can I download the entire collection?

>ancap
So yeah, a fascist villain.

Only if the hero was a fascist

>but the characters themselves still haven't fallen into pd yet.
one can make derivative works based EXCLUSIVELY on the elements of the Public Domain works, but they cannot use ANY element that is not from there.

Also the names and logos are trademarked so they cannot be used in the cover or otherwise to promote said derivative work(or even reprints of the original, IIRC)

IIRC, the first issue of Fawcet's Captain Marvel is in public domain, too

bump

Just so you know, only the character is in the public domain.

How is it public domain if Hanks died in 75? I thought it was death plus 75 years?

It's not an "indie story". It's the epilogue from the book that collects Fletcher Hanks complete works. The epilogue was made by the guy who complied the book.

I hate how everyone goes into the "Hanks was an alcoholic piece of shit who abandoned his family" rant when it is made a specific point in this epilogue that neither the son or the guy who is compiling the book are 100% sure if the guy's father is the same person or not.

The book ends with the quote:

"There may be two artists named Flecther Hanks but only one son of a bitch like my father".

In the end it is left for the reader to assume whatever he wants although the writer does say he rather believes the guy's father is FH.

Where can I find those?

The laws don't retroactively change for stuff that fell in the public domain already. Death + 75 years rule was set in 1976, long after the Stardust comics weren't copyright renewed (the original comics were published 1939-1941, had to be renewed after 28 years, which would've been around 1967-1969.)

Just go on to the public domain superhero wiki, find the character's appearances, and then check either Digital Comic Museum or Comic Book Plus to see if those appearances are already uploaded there.

Stardust clones himself a million times. Hilarity ensues.

Yeah you're right. Any new stardust comics someone makes are copyrighted, to whoever made them. It's the right to copy a specific work, like print copies. Not "make more different stories". Anyone can do batman stories, but if you call it batman you're hitting the trademark law. So you make it a parody, or you call your dude midnighter or whatever.

tl;dr being public domain just means anyone could print a book of Fletcher Hanks stories. You could have drawn your own Stardust the super wizard stories any time in the last 60 years

>And if you didn't know, the original Night of the Living Dead is public domain, which is why there's a lot of zombie stuff.

Nonsense, ideas are not copyrighteable. "Walking dead people" are not anything anyone can own

>Nonsense, ideas are not copyrighteable.

Specific combinations are. Did you not remember what happened when people tried to jump on the Superman bandwagon in the 1940's? Besides, prior to Romero's film, zombies were a lot different. Undead yes, but not flesh-eating.

Stardust kills the SJW Marvel universe.

AND WE'RE BACK

A few notes on stardust
in my head he's kinda like brad pitt character acting like in Fight club, inglorious bastards, and fury even though he's really playful and childish he's still really masculine and aggressive
He does finger guns when he uses "rays" to transform people
My go-to visual idea of him is him walking through a shady club filed with gangsters transforming into rats and chairs and shit set to a milli by lil wayne youtube.com/watch?v=xLla5w2yZeA
Whenever He gets angry He starts hulking out into his real form which looks like either a space dragon or a louis wain fractal cat

Super Fiend in this version would be a rogue super wizard who believes that the central entity is actually an evil psychic parasite trying to consume the universe.
He's not actually a bad guy and his temperament is quiet anger. his true form is like a giant centipede and He hates what being a superwizard has turned him into physically and mentally
He's kindof a details guy specialization as a superwizard is micro scale changes and life His Big story is him trying to destroy the earth's population using fungal spores that cause their hosts to start on fire at lower room temperature essentially creating a disease that is being on fire as revenge against stardust because stardust was the guy sent to execute his planet when he went rogue.

RIP "the blood" Would be a south american drug lord using advanced tech like shedder guns(guns with projectiles cut you up from the inside out) to protect his selfmade crime empire
He's kind of a spanish gentleman version of carmine falcone fair but brutal

stardusts girlfriend from the original comic would be a highly legalist defence attorney who sees stardust as monstrous but finds him very likable and attractive their relationship is essentially built on her trying to pull him away from being a total monster and him humoring her as a joke.
(4/4 maybe 5)