LETS

LETS
GO

Oh god, what if it's bad?

IDW Sonic thread!

What do you guys want to see in the new comic?

Other urls found in this thread:

evanstanleyart.com/resume
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Another litigation threat from Pen Kenders

some memes, chris-chan maybe?

Something involving Ugandan echidnas with no sense of direction will no doubt be at the top of the list.

I kinda don't care. It just feels like years of investment was flushed down the toilet because of bullshit, so why should I even bother with this new series?

Low chance of new bullshit, and same team?

weren't the comics a clusterfuck of so many goddamn animal friends that add nothing and are useless filler or just recolors like green the sonic

Yes and no.

no SATAM or archie characters and maybe a stronger tie-in to the games

A good chunk of those are from the games, and another good chunk of those are they characters that were made to be sonics friends in the cartoon before he had all those friends in the games

Scourge was literally just evil Sonic he's a villain and he's also the best so he doesn't count

>A good chunk of those are from the games
Another one of Sonic Teams mistakes
>and another good chunk of those are they characters that were made to be sonics friends in the cartoon
Also a mistake
>Scourge
Holy fuck what a name and I thought being a recolor was the worst of that thing's problems

The archie comics was its own beast. Part of it is exactly as you describe. The other part of it was actually a fun romp.

Green Sonic is part of the latter. Green Knuckles the former.

>Holy fuck what a name and I thought being a recolor was the worst of that thing's problems
He used to literally just be called "Evil Sonic".

How upset can you possibly get over a series aimed at small children, Chris-Chan?

He used to just be called Evil Sonic and he was blue, just sonic from another dimension with a biker jacket and glasses

Then the master emerald turned him green for some reason and he changed his name to scourge because he wanted everyone to know how much of an asshole he was.

Edgy as all get out? Yes. Entertaining as all get out? Also yes.

Wait... They're bringing over Yardley too?

Wow that's even worse, but at least it is funny
Not even upset, I'm incredulous at sonic and how it keeps going with all those extra characters
>Then the master emerald turned him green for some reason
The fuck, ok now that is some crazy ass bullshut

this is a nitpick but man those colors are really dull and plain for a sonic comic

Attention to all the scrubs of this thread! The king has arrived.

Respect.

One thing I'm glad ISN'T coming back. Between Shadow and Metal Sonic, there's already enough morally-broke hedgehogs around as it is.

hedgehogs are naturally edgehogs

Okay okay but hear me out.

Metal Scourge.

If they don't bring back the freedom fighters, I at least hope they give characters like Cream, Rouge and Blaze bigger roles

Literal junk that was crushed in less than a single issue after its debut.

Yeah but that sexy flame paintjob though

FUCKING YES BEST WRITER BEST ARTIST

it makes him faster than metal soccer.

how cool is that.

ABT is best artist.

> metal soccer

amy & silver?

Going down in flames the moment it was made.

My biggest hope is that it continues to blend cartoons, games, and other tie ins into its own unique beast. A love letter to ALL of Sonic.

Freedom Fighters? Hell yeah. Scratch and Grounder? Bring em on. Elise, Chris Thorndyke, Sleet, Dingo, fuckin Porker Lewis? This is getting weird but I love it.

What about combining separate characters with similar roles into more of a composite? Like, s/he still looks and is based on one character but has some mannerisms and abilities of another?

I guess that'd be OK, so long as you still got a diverse blend of game, cartoon, and comic characters.

I want sonic to go fast. He's gotta go fast.

Finally a new writer. But, I fear Ian's never going to leave.

I hope they bring back Battle Lord Kukku and keep him the same. He's so fucking goofy yet at the same time managed to make him bad-ass.

Penders go away.

>Oh god, what if it's bad?

Then it would be business as usual with the sonic franchise.

I hope they bring back Dave the intern, I liked him a lot more than I should have.

read it in the tf2 soldiers voice

>he will never come back
It's not fair

The FF (Freedom Fights).
I would also accept the FF (Foo Fighters). The stand not the band.

Can't be worse than some of the Archie stuff. Honestly just keep it a straightforward adventure comic. Classic hero overcomes dastardly villain story with minimal sidekicks and I'd be happy

He was too good for the comic world.

Evan's resume mentions her doing freelance pencils and inks for the comic as well

Wait, what.

For reals? Like, again, recently, now?

evanstanleyart.com/resume
>PROJECTS
>IDW Publishing Illustrator (comic books/graphic novels) 2017-present

>Working freelance on IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series. My duties include penciling and inking.

It's already bad if that's a official cover

OH FUCK

Tell me ABT is coming back too.

Sources say it's most likely a variant.

no confirmation yet, but given that he and flynn have seemed to become collaborators on other projects (like Drogune and AcademX) I wouldn't be suprised

Why do you want such bloat

How do you guys feel about Flynn's current Archie series, Mighty Defenders and Cosmo (the latter also having Yardley on pencils)

I'm cautiously optimistic for IDW Sonic. On the one hand, I grew up with Archie Sonic and it's sad to see a part of my childhood fade away. On the other hand it's nice to have a clean slate since I haven't followed the comics in over a decade. I have a feeling they won't change too much since they have to know a large chunk of their fan-base is going to be former Archie readers but we shall see.

He is coming back, though.

>tfw you know without a doubt that Shard won't even be so much as mentioned in the new comic series
Why even fucking live then?

>I hope they bring back Battle Lord Kukku and keep him the same. He's so fucking goofy yet at the same time managed to make him bad-ass.
he probably will come back as Ian definitely likes him, and easily fills a slot if we have a version of the Egg Bosses concept in the new comics

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I found out I had terminal cancer or something similar, I'd gladly go shove Ken Penders' hands in a blender

OH BOY CAN'T WAIT FOR LARA-SU CHRONICLES I'M GONNA BUY 100 COPIES BECAUSE THEY'LL BE WORTH THOUSANDS IN 20 YEARS!

Because the Japanese vision of Sonic sucks balls and they've never understood what makes Sonic good. It's a franchise that really needs that western touch to shine.

>Penders referring to him as Scourge when he didn't even come up with the name Scourge
This man needs to be stopped.

>It's a franchise that really needs that western touch to shine.
>Sonic Boom.
>Sonic Chronicles.
>Sonic Underground.
>Dark Age Archie.
>Whatever the fuck the western manuals and bibles were supposed to be.
Nah, I'll stick to my superior Japanese Sonic. Shit is better than diarrhea

I'd rather they just stick with the game characters.

sonic has more than enough supporting characters to work with using just them alone.

>Sonic Boom
>bad

i bet you like SATAM or sonic X

Wouldn't Sega be picky as fuck how other extended characters to be build up incase of future game developments? Sonic Boom only had the popular ones and made up whatever others as fillers instead of pre-existing ones.

pretty much this.

sonic has far too many side characters in general that just fall between redundant or unnecessary.

boom, megadrive & mania had the right idea in keeping it to a core cast of 3 or 4 supporting characters.

>Wouldn't Sega be picky as fuck how other extended characters to be build up incase of future game developments?
probably depends on how hands on they're gonna be with the comic

His spirit will live through Gemerl.

More Team Dark because Ian makes them surprisingly enjoyable

More Knuckles

Mecha Sonic please

It's just a comic that is never going to come out. I don't know why autists get so triggered by him.

what major characters did he kill off?

>Caring about IDW Sonic
Ken Penders' literary masterpiece, THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES™ (2018) is just around the corner. IDW Sonic is dead on arrival without the influence of Our Lord and Savior, Ken Penders.

Spite dies only when it's forgotten user. Penders earned a lot of spite when he decided to burn all of the goodwill a 15-year-old series had earned out of sheer nerd jealousy.

If he wasn't a professional, but rather just another random fanfic author, he would be seen as nothing but a lolcow. Really it's Archie who deserves scorn for letting him go so far and ruin so much, but it's a lot easier to express loathing for an arrogant neckbeard than an eldritch abomination from before the Cold War.

The Freedom Fighters and a non-Penders Mirror Umiverse.

Pretty sure they stated that they will give IDW more creative freedom than Archie had.

If the new comic is able to pick up the Archie comic's (later on in the run) tradition of spinning retarded sonic bullshit from the games and cartoons into gold, then I'm all for it.

And, whatever they need to do to keep Pender's greasy little digits off of this new property, they better fucking do it.

Too bad we'll never get back all of that Penders shit that eventually became good when handled by better comic writers, though. That was like half the comic universe, and they had to nuke it.

I'm still mad.

And when they started to get good again with post-reboot stuff (with exception of Worlds Collide), Penders goads another former Archie artist to sue them because he is a spiteful fuck.

But I am pretty sure he will have no ground to stand on against IDW because by now SEGA is keeping a close eye on him and they have more faith in IDW, than they had in Archie.

>But I am pretty sure he will have no ground to stand on against IDW

Of course he doesn't. He only had a case against Archie because they literally lost his contract in a fire and couldn't prove it existed.

He's not even worked for IDW so he can't do anything but whine incessantly on twitter.

While that's definitely what IDW would want to do, there's a good chance that Sega might want to run a tighter ship, since apparently Flynn can't even use his OCs despite them probably being owned by Sega because there's no reason for them to give the rights to Archie.

You can't really milk that for even a year, and I think IDW fully intends to publish comics as long as it's even the slightest bit profitable.

>Flynn can't even use his OCs

He literally said he CHOSE not to because he wants IDW to be a fresh reboot.

Then whether or not the comic fails will likely be based on it's own merits. This is good, considering the stellar track records of the folks working on it.

I just hope that IDW is as lax on giving writers creative freedom as Archie was...without allowing any main writer to monopolize the canon.

If this comics plays it's cards right, we could be in for a return to form, at least in terms of quality.

You know, time was I would play genesis sonic games (and Freedom Planet) for good sonic gameplay, and read the comics for good sonic stories.

Now I have Sonic Mania to fill the void of a good sonic game. Maybe this comic will fill that story niche that it's LONG lived predecessor left empty.

A man can dream.

>IDW

Get ready for everyone to be gay!

He did actually. I guess he worked on a Star Trek series IDW did a long time ago?

He's posted threatening tweets about IDW saying he never received any royalties for those reprints and doesn't remember signing any papers.

Funny enough, he only brought it up AFTER IDW got Sonic.

>I just hope that IDW is as lax on giving writers creative freedom as Archie was...without allowing any main writer to monopolize the canon.

What happened at Archie was entirely Sega's fault in the end. Back when Penders and the other chumps who started processing got hired Sega had NO kind of input or veto on the comic. They just gave so little of a shit that they let them run rampant without any supervision, and when Sega discovered what they were actually doing and realized the comic was a useful marketing tool, it was too late. Penders and his ilk had made it a convoluted mess and that's when Sega started actually applying pressure to make sure storylines and characters went the way they wanted to. But of course it was already too late, and Flynn had to come in to try and clean the mess up.

If Sega had had actual merchandising restrictions and cared about their licensed products this mess would never have happened. Or if Archie hadn't been terminally incompetent at handling legal matters. But neither of these things happened, so here we are.

Eggman, do u know the wae?

>He did actually. I guess he worked on a Star Trek series IDW did a long time ago?

No, he worked on a Star Trek series for DC in the 80s that got a reprint from IDW. But alas DC is actually competent and has his freelancer contract so he cannot sue for it.

>But I am pretty sure he will have no ground to stand on against IDW because by now SEGA is keeping a close eye on him and they have more faith in IDW, than they had in Archie.

This.

Also Penders inadvertently ruined himself with the lawsuit. He's such a lolcow.

An extended cast of secondary characters works much better in longform storytelling like a comic or cartoon than a video game.

>Antoine will be revealed as a MtF transsexual
>Shadow and Sonic have less than subtle homoerotic undertones in their rivalry
>Blaze and Amy will be in a straight-up lesbian relationship

In all seriousness though, I doubt SEGA will allow IDW to get all political with Sonic IP. Just because they give them more creative freedom than Archie ever had doesn't mean they won't keep an eye on how the comic goes.

None of your Archie comics autistic freedom fighters are coming back you dumb fucks.

They only mentioned Archie characters created by Flynn post-reboot. They still haven't said a thing about SatAM cast.

>What do you guys want to see in the new comic?
To retain the reaction face potential the Archie comics had

Are you not aware of IDW and what they've done with different continuity branches from Transformers and TMNT?

Well he is half right. Ian Flynn confirmed that the characters he created for Archie post-reboot (expanded Freedom Fighters teams, Egg Bosses, Meropians, pirates etc.) aren't coming back. However there's still no word on whether the SatAM characters are also shitcanned or not. Neither Flynn nor IDW have spoken about it.

>However there's still no word on whether the SatAM characters are also shitcanned or not. Neither Flynn nor IDW have spoken about it.

At this point, the only reason to be secretive is that they are definitely going to use the cartoon cast.

Think about it. Being secretive means you want the outcome to be a surprise for the reader. People want surprises to be positive. Withholding information until the release of the comic only to go "Oh yeah btw surprise, no SATAM/AOSTH/anything characters!" is a negative reinforcement which will only serve to drive readers away. I refuse to believe Flynn would be so stupid as to do this.

I'm not saying those characters are in any way necessary to keep a comic going, but by making a mystery out of it rather than flat out saying "Nah this time it's game characters only" they have painted themselves into a corner from which there's only one way out.

Boom Sally?

>What do you guys want to see in the new comic?

Things that will make people upset. For example Sally and Nicole surviving but now they each have their own male love interest.

>Blaze and Amy will be in a straight-up lesbian relationship
I would accept that. Man Amy up too so she can break gender stereotypes to be strong, independent, and not needing no Sonic.

You mean Madonna Garnet?

Do you think the other user wants every character on every page of every issue? Every time someone complains about too many characters they act like every single one of those characters would be on screen all at once or some dumb shit like that.