How does it make you feel knowing that Disney completely killed 2D animated movies with their greediness in making...

How does it make you feel knowing that Disney completely killed 2D animated movies with their greediness in making sequels no one asked for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HcHju7vguG8&t=47s
cartoonbrew.com/disney/breaking-disney-just-gutted-their-hand-drawn-animation-division-81043.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

As a kid I noticed no difference in the animation quality between the two films. Watched a clip of this a few months ago and was shocked at how cheap it looked compared to the show. Weird, the things you don't notice.

holy shit this looks like a low budget cartoon from the christian channel
youtube.com/watch?v=HcHju7vguG8&t=47s

There are so many ways he could have dealt with that situation.

Movies are a boring art form for the most part, so I don't give one flying fuck

feature animation was already a time consuming and costly process that barley put out stories better than senior animation films.

BS, kids do notice this kind of stuff. Not even glaring stuff like straight to video shenaningans; I remember being weirded out with the qualitity shift between scenes in Beauty of the Beast

... I asked for them. I wanted sequels. I love the first film, of course I want more. More is always good as long as it's done well enough. If different creative teams take over and destroy it, you can still appreciate the original on an individual level, without regard with what was added.

I didn't notice the shoddy animation, but I certainly did notice the Genie's voice changed

don't really give a fuck. I'm not gonna watch any of that shit.

unless Jasmine is still wearing the belly dancer outfit rrr.

I was obsessed with Jasmine Aladdin and while it does felt a little cheap as a kid I didn't care. Loved the series as well.

Yeah, as a kid the only time I really noticed animation quality was when watching recordings of old TV cartoons from like the 60s. Definitely noticed how cheap/minimal those were but every other animated thing seemed about the same-- not sure how much of that was me being a dumb kid and how much was just the quality of the video/TV distorting things somewhat.

I did notice differences in animation within the same movie though, ex. how some Disney movies would have scenes that looked way better or worse than others. Think I was just too young to remember and then compare the animation of one movie to another.

She is rarely wearing anything else

GRANNY'S GONNA GRAB YAH!

No granny no!

I'll take CGI any day. Elsa is so hot.

the tone, pacing, and animation quality looks about the same as the TV series DESU.

They killed 2D itself by not promoting masterpiece - The Treasure Planet.

I loved it.

Fuck I remember this episode, the blue rose of forgetfulness. Good times

The Return of Jafar was literally just a premiere multi-parter for Aladdin The Series, stapled together into a DTV sequel. Without it, we wouldn't have had the show, and without the show, we wouldn't have had Aladdin & The King of Thieves, which IS legitimately great. That and The Lion King 2 were both well-received enough because they actually got Robin Williams for Genie, Nathan Lane for Timon, etc. You can measure a lot of sequels by how many of the original cast members came back.

Also, Aladdin always had one foot in modern pop culture via the Genie, so cheap jokes like "lol he turned into Mrs. Doubtfire GET IT?!" were more acceptable, it was a quintessentially 90s franchise even though it was based on an old-ass story. The Lion King was Disney's first big "original" hit, so at the worst, they were still striking while the iron was hot, keeping their 90s hits relevant while the 90s kids were still kids.

It was when they started whoring out sequels to shit like Bambi and Cinderella that people got sick of their shit, NOBODY wanted that shit, and making an inferior sequel to a Golden Age of Animation movie felt WAY more sacrilegious than having some mediocre installments in a new franchise.

Could have been a lot worse.

Also, reminder that this got a limited theatrical release before going to video.

Kill yourself.

But ... 2D animation movies still exist.
Like do you mean "less popular"?

>Watched a clip of this a few months ago and was shocked at how cheap it looked compared to the show.
Wasn't this a pilot for the show, if anything the animation between the two are comparable, but with a slightly higher framerate at parts.

It's definitely nothing compared to the first film though.

>posting one of the best disney sequels that served as a pilot for the excellent animated series

Come on OP there's like a dozen Cinderella sequels you could've post.

You have no idea what you're talking about. The direct to DVD sequels have nothing to do with why they abandoned 2D

cartoonbrew.com/disney/breaking-disney-just-gutted-their-hand-drawn-animation-division-81043.html

I blame frozen.

Disney has been moving in this direction long before Frozen

It's only second rate

>the genie has his slave bracelets on again

Did they ever explain why?
It's like a black guy wanted to be whipped even though Slavery was over

>one of the laid-off animators later found work in a certain AAA FPS franchise

simple, it was easier to draw.

wasnt john not fond of cheapquels and turned the studio into disneytoons that make Planes movies?

i'm behind with vidya, what franchise?

>the only thing I'm a slave to anymore is fashion, baby!
Or something to that effect in a throwaway line.

I thought this was always intended to be the pilot for the tv show. And this was the first of its kind. Disney did not jump into full sequel crazr for about another ten years

>masterpiece

I was pretty sure their decisions made in the early 00's caused them to quit with 2D.

Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Home on the Range, these really did not do well. And Disney is trying real hard to pretend they never existed.

"failure is an orphan, success have many fathers"

>You can measure a lot of sequels by how many of the original cast members came back.
So The Hunchback of Notre Dame II is the exception that proves the rule, eh?

Hardly. In the ten years between 1994 and 2004 Disney pumped out 20 direct-to-video sequels, followups, and spin-offs.

This is a standard practice for Disney. If a movie is successful then there are tie-ins, specials, and theme park attractions forever. But if it fails they bury it and hide all evidence that it existed.

Brother Bear is a big one, Home on the Range, Black Cauldron, Sword in the Stone, Meet the Robinsons, Great Mouse Detective,

Most of them are never replayed on Disney or Freeform.