Why is it that Snyder’s Superman has more balls than comic Superman?

Why is it that Snyder’s Superman has more balls than comic Superman?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hds9tFMuU8o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because Zack Snyder doesn't understand Superman.

because Snyder fundamentally misunderstands the character

HALT INVULNERABLE SCION

Snyder basically improved what was a flawed character archetype.

Snyder superman was clearly not supposed to be part of a shared universe, he's a desonctruction of the character

Snyder made sure that Superman was not unique or special person in any way, he only helped people when feeling extremely pressured, he was not a hero, without his powers he was just some random guy.

That could work for a solo but not a trilogy or part of an shared universe like DCEU or MCU.

This superman was closer to forrest gump than comics superman

He broke it

No good will become of this thread

I prefer Forrest Gump Supes over Mary Sue-perman.

Sparing a villain's life at the expense of the lives of innocents is a morally repugnant act, and MoS Superman absolutely did the right thing.

No one believes you.

I guess Snyder's not the only one who doesn't understand Superman.

This.
If anything, MoS Superman is more of a hero than regular Superman.

Because Snyder doesn't read Superman. He thinks every DC character is part of Watchmen.

>DC is pushing a Dr. Manhattan vs Superman event while Snyder turns Superman into Dr. Manhattan
Pottery

Except regular superman was always big enough to save the villain's sorry ass and the civilians, with a wink and a smile. You know, like what a man who's super would do.

Sorry, if you edgelords think that's corny. Feel free to go back to the nineties, with all the other creators who thought they were smarter than everybody prior, when superman had a stupid mullet and dressed all in black.

I honestly think Snyder gets Superman more than you guys do.
Superman in the comics has operated in a world that not only embraces him, but essentially reveres him as THE superhero, welcome everywhere he goes, loved by all. Comic Superman comes up against incredibly powerful foes that often come close to killing him, but public opinion isn't really something he has to wrestle with often. In terms of the day in-day out stuff, Superman has an easy gig.

This isn't true with DCEU Superman, because he lives in a world much closer to our "real" world. Every single thing he does is a political action that gets dissected and lambasted to hell and back. Save a russian rocket launch from destruction? International incident. Intervene against a warlord in Africa? Called in front of fucking Congress to testify. Half the world fucking hates him, and the other half worships him like he's the goddamn Second Coming. If Superman was like Doctor Manhattan, he wouldn't give a shit. He'd probably just dip. But he's not, because apathy isn't his problem. Caring way too much is his problem. He doesn't want to interfere too hard exactly because of the kind of backlash he gets, because he fears that backlash might have a point. BvS is essentially a trial of of his character, testing to see how someone with morals and powers like Superman would react when everything turns against him. And he reacts by doubling down and laying down his life for all of humanity by killing Doomsday. He even fucking saves Lex, who like 30 minutes ago was telling him he was going to burn his mother alive. He brings Diana out of retirement, and brings Bruce back over to the side of the angels.

Snyder Superman went up against impossible odds and did the absolute best he could, and just like in the actual movies, everyone gives him a bunch of shit for it because they don't understand why he's doing this. There's your fucking pottery.

>I honestly think Snyder gets Superman more than you guys do.
Comicfags never got Superman.

Responding to your own post isn't fooling anyone

What did he mean by this

Now you've switched from phone to computer

>I honestly think Snyder gets Superman more than you guys do.
>Goes on to list how vastly different Snyder’s Superman is to comic Superman.

You have really bad reading comprehension if that's what you got out of that. Superman isn't different, it's the world that's different. Superman acts like Superman is supposed to. People just aren't sucking his dick for it like they do in the mainline DCU.

>Superman acts like Superman is supposed to
>Hurr should i save people??

>Superman more like Snoozerman, amirite.

>hurr should I save people?
>yes, I should, and I'm not going to let public opinion stop that
It's not a bad thing (nor is it out of character) that Superman questions why he does what he does, as long as he resolves to keep doing it after. And that's exactly what happened.

You’re still admitting that Snyder missed the point of Superman.
When have Superman comics ever been about gritty realism? Why does Superman need a realistic setting to be a hero?

That’s a deconstruction of Superman, not an adaptation.

Because the world shouldn't need to be bright colors and crazy dudes in spandex for Superman to do what he does. And the movies aren't about how the world is shit and everything should be about gritty DBZ fights. It's about how despite the grit and shit of the "real" world, the example Superman sets is still absolutely attainable, and should be pursued. Superman's morals should be able to survive the real world, which is what these movies are trying to say. If you think that a zany comic book tone is essential to the character, I think you've missed the point of Supes yourself.

>says Snyder GETS Superman
>only talks about how different his version is from Comic Supes
This is retard bait. Here is your (You)

>If you think that a zany comic book tone is essential to the character, I think you've missed the point of Supes yourself.
Imagine being this much of a no fun faggot.

Why did Snyder hate Clark kent so much
he basicly killed any supporting character for Clark

Fuck you, I love the comic books and how fucking insane they get. Some of my favorite cape comics of all time have been balls to the wall insane, like Adams' Coming of the Supermen. But trying to maintain that that specific tone is the ONLY way to do the Superman story is fucking retarded and you know it.

But I don't think zany comic book action is the ONLY way you can do the Superman story.

I didn't actually realize I left that bottom sentence in there, shit.

Superman doesn’t have a good supporting cast.
Based Snyder did us a favor.

>But trying to maintain that that specific tone is the ONLY way to do the Superman story is fucking retarded and you know it.
Nobody is saying that.
At the same time, every agrees that going the other way is just and for Superman. Like I mentioned before, Snyder wasn’t adapting Superman, he was deconstructing him. Not exactly a good way to start your shared universe.

It's not a matter of balls.
It's a matter of selflessness.
Dceu Clark stayed hidden & gave up having friends or a social life for 33 years for the greater good. Of course he would not be willing to let people die just to keep blood off his hands.

>he only helped people when feeling extremely pressured
False. He wanted to help people since he was a little kid. He was held back not out of selfishness or a lack of care. But for concern of causing more harm then good.

>Because the world shouldn't need to be bright colors and crazy dudes in spandex for Superman to do what he does.
Do you know where we are?
Have you ever read a comic book?

>you no-fun faggot
You certainly seem to be saying that. And a deconstruction is fine as long as it's a hopeful one. Superman came out on the other end of these movies every bit the hero he's supposed to be. That's perfectly fine to have a shared universe with.

>When have Superman comics ever been about gritty realism?
Earth One.
It's not a matter of what the comics are "about".
If Batman can work in both Nolan Realism vs Adam West silly so can Superman.
>Why does Superman need a realistic setting to be a hero?
Because in a cheerful happy fantasy land he becomes redundant. He is a flashlight on a bright sunny beach.
And a decent level of realism adds immersiveness, relatability & relevance for movie audiences.

if you said "you're not willing to consider what can be done with the concept of superman" there would at least be some coherence to your post, instead you chose to use the same meme phrasing about "the point of superman" whatever the fuck that is, as if various writers haven't written him with a different "point" in mind just as snyder did

now whether you consider that point to be fucking stupid or not is another question

In all my years of read Superman, Snyder has probably given us the most complex and deepest interpretation of the character yet.
MoS is basically What Ever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow for the new generation.

Just Jimmy and that may have just been a CIA agent using his name.

Why is it that people are always defending Snyder’s Superman films but no one ever sticks up for F4ntastic?
Josh Trank hit the same notes as Snyder but I don’t hear anyone calling Trank a misunderstood genius.

No he wasn't deconstructing him. He was just not treating him like a marysue\directors pet. He was putting him through actual tangible trials & adversity.

>as if various writers haven't written him with a different "point" in mind just as snyder did
They haven’t.
Outside of Byrne and Moore, everyone always makes Superman out to be this boring do gooder who’s always smiling.

Lois became a 1 dimensional damsel
Perry is non existant
Pa Kent died before he could become a decent character
Ma Kent is barely in the movie
and done even get me started on fucking Jimmy

Yes, because Snyder is the first person to do that.
Everyone else has just used Superman as their Gary Stu.

Because every single thing about Trank's F4 was incompetent beyond belief.
Very little was straight up incompetent about Snyder's Mos or Bvs beyond the editing of the theatrical cut.
Peoples criticisms with Snyder are primarily creative disagreements not valid technical film making flaws.

wait until the MCU F4 reboot, you will suddenly hear Sup Forums sing the praises of FantFourstic

>And a decent level of realism adds immersiveness, relatability & relevance for movie audiences.
then explain why the movie underperformed

If it wasn't for BvS I wouldn't appreciate hopeful boy scout Supes as much as I do now

>Lois became a 1 dimensional damsel
Bull fucking shit.
They actually built their relationship up out of mutual trust instead of her blindly lusting after him.
They showed off her comptence with tracking down Clark's identitiy.
She was snarky without decending into bitch.
If she was 1 Dimensional they wouldn't have shown her feeling guilt about Jimmy getting killed and being driven to find the truth out. Nor would they have her go around Perry's back in Mos.

>Snyder got superman because
>*give a list of things that make this version apart from comics
Snyderfags everybody
youtube.com/watch?v=Hds9tFMuU8o

>comics superman is a mary sue
Fuck off casual

1 - Audiences are done with heroes being conflicted & depressed.
2 - Didn't give a fair chance after the over reaction to Mos.
3 - Doomsday got spoiled in the trailers.
4 - Pissed about the casting of Lex.
5 - People that hadn't seen Ben Affleck's recent solid films were pissed about him being Batman.
6 - Bad word of mouth with the reviews.
7 - Marvel has made people feel that Superheroes should be silly full stop unless it's a Wolverine movie.

>7 - Marvel has made people feel that Superheroes should be silly full stop unless it's a Wolverine movie.
Explain Daredevil.

No the previous movie versions were.
Comic version only is sometimes in that writers very rarely challenge him or put him through things that cause him to actually compromise or adapt instead of just handwaving the problem away with "dreams save us" type of dismissals.

Street heroes in general then.

And it's neflix a different format.
Had the new Daredevil been a movie I garunteee some critics would be bashing it for being too serious.

>1 - Audiences are done with heroes being conflicted & depressed.
Iron Man trilogy, TDK trilogy
>2 - Didn't give a fair chance after the over reaction to Mos.
Bullshit, there is no reason this would only happen to Snyder MoS and not to Batman ,Wonder Woman and pretty much every other superhero movie in the last 2 decades
>3 - Doomsday got spoiled in the trailers.
So???
>4 - Pissed about the casting of Lex.
>5 - People that hadn't seen Ben Affleck's recent solid films were pissed about him being Batman.
No one really give a fuck about casting, Thor and Wonder Woman got really weak actos, MJ was controversial as fuck, yet all those movies did fine
>6 - Bad word of mouth with the reviews.
They got a better score than Pirates of Caribbean and Transformers
>7 - Marvel has made people feel that Superheroes should be silly full stop unless it's a Wolverine movie.
Batman and Wolverine were serious, daredevil series are serious, this excuse makes no sense

You got nothing, people didn't liked Snyder,Critics didn't like snyder, no one but you and a bunch of contrarians liked Snyder

You got no excuses, your dear movie is bad and you can't separate beetwen your personal taste and quality so you go far enough to kiss sucker puncher director ass

ITT: Moviefags invade a comic board to tell comicfags that they dont understand comics

>superman returns
>mary sue
Oh yeah, the guy who spend half of the movie depressed over the fact that his social life and his lover are gone and there is no way he can come back to her while everyone lost their interest on superman with Lois going as far to write to the journal why the world don't need him

Plus the fact that lex made him his personal bitch for 15 minutes.

FPBP

Did Trank ever take the "you arent smart enough for my movie" defense?

>Sup Forums sing the praises of FantFourstic
Nope, they made human tourch black Sup Forums will never support that.

>making up lameass excuses to save face
Yawn.

Because in Fantastic Four's case there was a very clear point where control was taken away from Trank, hence his tweet about how he had a better movie.

Snyder had full or mostly full control over Man of Steel so all the positives and negatives would be attributed to him.

The closest equivalent to Fantastic Four would be Justice League where Whedon was brought in and the film clashed.

reminder: Snyder had full control on Sucker Punch

Can we all agree that Superman is just a dude from Kansas trying to do the right thing?

>Because in Fantastic Four's case there was a very clear point where control was taken away from Trank, hence his tweet about how he had a better movie.
Is this where Snyderfags got the idea that WB is hiding a JL director’s cut from them?

Tony is always quiping regardless of what he is going through.
IM2 & 3 are disliked by a lot of people.
TDK came out the year the Mcu started.
Rises is disliked.
>No one really give a fuck about casting
The endless screaming of bloody murder I recall says otherwise.
>this excuse makes no sense
Yes it does. The Mcu has made it so any sci-fi oriented superhero film (non street heroes) must be silly & outlandish.
And the critics wouldn't let go of the god damn mother fucking Reeves films.

The reception of the Garfield Spider-Man films prove this also.

So does the reception of Thor - Ragnarok with critic after critic praising it for treating the material as the preposterous joke that they think the comic is. They litterally spelt that out in their reviews.
They don't give a shit that the tone of the film completely betrays & insults the apocalyptic nature of the story.

>You got no excuses, your dear movie is bad and you can't separate beetwen your personal taste and quality so you go far enough to kiss sucker puncher director ass
Superman being dour IS OBJECTIVELY NOT A FUCKING TECHNICAL, FILM MAKING OR STORYTELLING FLAW.
ALL CHARACTERS ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE FUCKING LOW POINTS IN LIFE.

Trank didn't have retards thinking that Pa was actually telling Clark to let the kids die or that they stopped fighting JUST because their mom's have the same name.

Is the OP from Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Fuck it, Superman was 100% in the right to kill Mr. Mxy in that story. Mxy is just too powerful, he’s dangerous enough as a prankster, if he ever goes full evil that could be the end of the universe. Tearing Mxy in half between the Phantom Zone and the Fifth Dimension was arguably an accident anyway. Mxy has been around long enough to know the difference between good and evil and he clearly doesn’t give a fuck. If Superman kill Doomsday -a being who doesn’t know any better, and Batman (as of his latest issue) can chop down a bunch of monsters with a sword, if they can both cut through parademons like they don’t matter, then I don’t see why killing Mxy should be a problem. He’s not human, and he’s literally one of the most powerful beings on the face or the earth. In main continuity, he’s a dangerous douchebag at best. If he’s gone evil, taking him out should be everyone’s #1 priority. Not even being an edge lord here. Forget Joker, Zsasz or Manta, Mxy has the potential to be more dangerous than all of them.

Also consider how many people died because at the end of the book Superman chose to expose himself to gold kryptonite. What’s he gonna do next time Darkseid comes knocking? Or his son hits the “terrible twos” stage and throws a tantrum that collapsed the whole house?

And Sucker Punch's film making wasn't that bad.
It was that he was too close to the project to see that doing a sexy anime tribute + showing women taking abuse and fighting to overcome it would come off as exploitive.

Man of steel is pretty overrated when you compare it to movies like X3 and IM3 who atleast have a likeable protagonist..

>earth one
>the comic that's specifically meant to be different from the normal superman

>praising it for treating the material as the preposterous joke that they think the comic is.
It’s capeshit.
It’s not all fun and games but it is guys in costumes beating the shit out of each other. Sometimes, you have to get off your high horse and take superhero comics for what they are.

whole DUCE is a mess. how many years till reboot?

All of those things literally did happen. You Snyder apologist are just trying to make it sound smarter than it is.

>Iron Man 3 and Rises are disliked
Yeah for Sup Forums memers, in real life they both got over billion dollars box office, high approval by both critics and audience

but yeah trust Sup Forums the board where people pretend to watch movies and company wars are worse than Sup Forums and Sup Forums combined

There’s already a Flashpoint movie in the works.

it came off as retarded
it came off as a half dozen "oooh this will be a cool shot" with nothing connecting the narrative except a half assed aping of Cuckoo's Nest.
It looked good, but it was the shittiest storytelling ever. Except gigli

Yes and the Dceu Superman was specifically suppose to be different then the Reeves version.

Killing Zod was absolutely the right thing to do in Man of Steel.

Man of Steel was absolutely the wrong story for a Superman reboot.

No he said maybe in desperation to get his point across not as a actual suggestion. He looked like he was going to puke as he said it.

The Martha line coming from anyone else may have given Batman pause but it wouldn't have changed how he saw them. It was a fundamental revelation about Superman that Bruce never considered that he may actually care about people and have human connections. He thought Superman was just a cold alien toying with us. The Martha name only gave him pause it wasn't the reason he stopped trying to kill him. The revelation was.

Is Snyder the biggest example of style over substance in film?

He and Snyder

>Man of Steel was absolutely the wrong story for a Superman reboot.
But WHY?
Reboots are suppose to do new & different things then the previous version.

This. The movie shouldn't have been made. It was just to keep the rights like all the F4 movies.

No, you're thinking of Michael Bay.

I mean Michael Bay

>But WHY?

Because nobody wants to see Superman being a mopey asshole.

Batman is a detective. He should've known he had parents.

i didnt said reset.

reboot.

Why is it that Snyder’s Superman doesn’t save his own father?

But you said before that the DCEU version is a perfect adaptation of the normal Superman.

thats the thing
he hasnt been much of a detective, has he?

Because second the movie risking your life to save your father is not worth it but risking your life to save a dog is.

Your talking to multiple people.
I think he perfectly adapts the core intent of Superman. Of course his personality is slightly different. He grew up in a completely different context and there is nothing wrong with that.
No different then Adam West & Christian Bale's Batmen having different personalities but both are still considered valid adaptions.